Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Donald Trump and his wife test positive for Covid-19.

Wow, just one more dynamic added to this already crazy election.

I'm sure they will be fine as he has access to levels of treatment that most people don't.

But 1 month from Election Day, quarantine for 14 days, so no campaigning around the country. They will have medical attention most people don’t receive, but no one is immune and he’s in the age group for risk factor.

Yes, but can do some speaking from quarantine. Here's what bothers me: They found out about Hope Hicks testing positive as Marine One was taking off yesterday to head to Air Force One and go to a fundraiser. At that time, they took several people off Marine One because they had been in contact with Ms. Hicks. However, several others had been in close contact with her (including the President) and continued on to the fundraiser. Why? I'm not convinced they will take quarantine seriously.

I would agree with you, but the only other factor could be the frequency of President Trump's testing. If I heard correctly today, he was negative yesterday morning. Do correct me if I heard wrong.

He gets the Abbott rapid test daily, which is why I'm surprised he was showing symptoms starting Wed. night and yet continued to test negative. MSNBC had someone on that says the rapid tests have a 3 in 10 false negative rate, which is very high. Yet I thought the rapid testing had a high false positive rate. Is it just false in general?!

ETA: After Gov. DeWine had a false positive from the rapid test before meeting with Trump, I'm sure he got a PCR test to be certain before releasing that he is positive.

ETA again: Sorry, PCR is the rapid test... the antigen test is what I mean. The slow test...

Also, saw something, I think from MIT, that says the rapid test has 100% false negative on day 1 of infection, down to 67% false negative on day 4, and down to 38% false negative rate when symptoms begin.

Just heard the "on the hour" news in the car, what they had said is that Hope Hicks developed symptoms Wednesday night, she then tested positive yesterday morning and President Trump tested positive last night. I've have not heard any mention of President Trump having Wednesday symptoms, but of course different sources may have different info.

As for PCR vs Antigen, I just looked things up. ALL antigen tests are "rapid" tests (within an hour), while molecular tests, which PCR is one of them, can be same day or up to a week, depending on the test. Molecular is deemed "highly accurate", but you and I both read the MIT article that implies differently to me. Antigen - "Positive results are usually highly accurate but negative results may need to be confirmed with a molecular test."

As for DeWine, I don't think I followed what you were saying about a "false" positive rapid test if you are saying that he released that he was positive. Wouldn't that mean the rapid test was correct. I'm sure I am missing something. :p

Ok, then I was confused on the name for PCR tests and had the wrong name for the test.

As to Gov. DeWine, this was awhile ago. He went to meet Trump and had a rapid test before. He tested positive and went home to isolate instead of meet Trump. He also immediately had a "real" test (that takes a day or more) and it was negative. The rapid test was a false positive.

ETA: Symptoms Wed. night are because he was said to be lethargic. His staff just figured it was because he had been so busy with campaign events, which makes sense at the time.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options

I'm sure they will be fine as he has access to levels of treatment that most people don't.

Since people are still dying in hospitals from this disease everyday, I think your assurance is a little counter to reality, especially for an overweight man in his 70s. Yes, he's still more likely than not going to have a mild case, and more likely than not going to survive if he has a bad case, but just being rich and powerful isn't a charm against bad outcomes.

That's a fair point. He isn't invincible, but I still think he has better odds of surviving than someone otherwise the same except without the same access to care.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Interesting on Gov DeWine. I was not aware of the story. As for Trump, I did not hear of the lethargy, so I get your point now. All very curious.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Interesting on Gov DeWine. I was not aware of the story. As for Trump, I did not hear of the lethargy, so I get your point now. All very curious.

The article below may clarify your concern. The italic part is what I find very disturbing.

An 'exhausted' Trump's long path to coronavirus

Little could those guests know that the tired-sounding man sitting across the white brocade tablecloth would test positive, hours later, for coronavirus.
    Nor were they aware that before he arrived, both Trump and his senior aides received information suggesting he could have been exposed -- and therefore could be contagious. Like usual, the President wasn't wearing a mask.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/02/politics/trump-coronavirus-path/index.html
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

But 1 month from Election Day, quarantine for 14 days, so no campaigning around the country. They will have medical attention most people don’t receive, but no one is immune and he’s in the age group for risk factor.

Yes, but can do some speaking from quarantine. Here's what bothers me: They found out about Hope Hicks testing positive as Marine One was taking off yesterday to head to Air Force One and go to a fundraiser. At that time, they took several people off Marine One because they had been in contact with Ms. Hicks. However, several others had been in close contact with her (including the President) and continued on to the fundraiser. Why? I'm not convinced they will take quarantine seriously.

I would agree with you, but the only other factor could be the frequency of President Trump's testing. If I heard correctly today, he was negative yesterday morning. Do correct me if I heard wrong.

He gets the Abbott rapid test daily, which is why I'm surprised he was showing symptoms starting Wed. night and yet continued to test negative. MSNBC had someone on that says the rapid tests have a 3 in 10 false negative rate, which is very high. Yet I thought the rapid testing had a high false positive rate. Is it just false in general?!

ETA: After Gov. DeWine had a false positive from the rapid test before meeting with Trump, I'm sure he got a PCR test to be certain before releasing that he is positive.

ETA again: Sorry, PCR is the rapid test... the antigen test is what I mean. The slow test...

Also, saw something, I think from MIT, that says the rapid test has 100% false negative on day 1 of infection, down to 67% false negative on day 4, and down to 38% false negative rate when symptoms begin.

Just heard the "on the hour" news in the car, what they had said is that Hope Hicks developed symptoms Wednesday night, she then tested positive yesterday morning and President Trump tested positive last night. I've have not heard any mention of President Trump having Wednesday symptoms, but of course different sources may have different info.

As for PCR vs Antigen, I just looked things up. ALL antigen tests are "rapid" tests (within an hour), while molecular tests, which PCR is one of them, can be same day or up to a week, depending on the test. Molecular is deemed "highly accurate", but you and I both read the MIT article that implies differently to me. Antigen - "Positive results are usually highly accurate but negative results may need to be confirmed with a molecular test."

As for DeWine, I don't think I followed what you were saying about a "false" positive rapid test if you are saying that he released that he was positive. Wouldn't that mean the rapid test was correct. I'm sure I am missing something. :p

Ok, then I was confused on the name for PCR tests and had the wrong name for the test.

As to Gov. DeWine, this was awhile ago. He went to meet Trump and had a rapid test before. He tested positive and went home to isolate instead of meet Trump. He also immediately had a "real" test (that takes a day or more) and it was negative. The rapid test was a false positive.

ETA: Symptoms Wed. night are because he was said to be lethargic. His staff just figured it was because he had been so busy with campaign events, which makes sense at the time.

I heard that Trump slept on the plane on the way home Wed night, which is very unusual for him.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options

So famotidine, which is an antihistamine. Interesting.

I thought Famotidine is for acid reflux?
  • SModa61
    Options

I think the list of meds may include medications from prior to his diagnosis like the melatonin as well.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

I think the list of meds may include medications from prior to his diagnosis like the melatonin as well.

And the baby aspirin.

Edited because I realized the "baby" came out of my own head from the way they used to describe aspirin therapy.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I was just questioning (& trying to quote Mike, which I didn’t do well) if it was an antihistamine or for acid reflux.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I heard that Trump slept on the plane on the way home Wed night, which is very unusual for him.

That explains the melatonin.
  • SModa61
    Options
    I was just questioning (& trying to quote Mike, which I didn’t do well) if it was an antihistamine or for acid reflux.

Gotcha, I had missed that in Mike's comment. Famotidine is for reflux, and I'm not sure about the antihistamine comment. Reflux is often associated with larger abdomens as in overweight individuals and pregnant women. President Trump is larger, so that very well could make sense.

"Over-the-counter famotidine is used to prevent and treat heartburn due to acid indigestion and sour stomach caused by eating or drinking certain foods or drinks. Famotidine is in a class of medications called H2 blockers. It works by decreasing the amount of acid made in the stomach."
  • SModa61
    Options

Hmmmm now you've got me thinking and wondering about the melatonin.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Hmmmm now you've got me thinking and wondering about the melatonin.

Well, from his Twitter account, we know he doesn't seem to get that much sleep at night.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options

Gotcha, I had missed that in Mike's comment. Famotidine is for reflux, and I'm not sure about the antihistamine comment. Reflux is often associated with larger abdomens as in overweight individuals and pregnant women. President Trump is larger, so that very well could make sense.

"Over-the-counter famotidine is used to prevent and treat heartburn due to acid indigestion and sour stomach caused by eating or drinking certain foods or drinks. Famotidine is in a class of medications called H2 blockers. It works by decreasing the amount of acid made in the stomach."

No, it's an antihistamine. Not the one most think of, but it's also an antacid as well. It's an H2 antagonist, another type of antihistamine. In this case, it seems they are more interested in the antihistamine qualities (it has shown some promise against Covid-19). The melatonin seems it prevents anxiety and the Cytokine storm. They are looking at it as a therapeutic.

To me, it seems like it was progressing rapidly and potentially very bad. They are throwing the kitchen sink at it early.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H2_antagonist

• lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Kellyanne Conway, who left the White House last month but was at the reception for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett last weekend, which is being eyed as a possible superspreader event, has announced she has tested positive for COVID.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/10/02/trump-biden-live-updates/
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Kellyanne Conway, who left the White House last month but was at the reception for Supreme Court nominee Amy Coney Barrett last weekend, which is being eyed as a possible superspreader event, has announced she has tested positive for COVID.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/elections/2020/10/02/trump-biden-live-updates/

Yeah, it's a shame. Two very old gentlemen were seated next to Rev Jenkins, who also has it. Neither had masks. Some will likely die from this. So preventable and unfortunate. I expect Bill Barr to be announced next. He was seen talking to Kellyanne a lot at that event.

Ted Cruz was also seen whispering back and forth to Mike Lee on Thursday, so he should be worried as well.

Yes, about an hour before I heard about Kellyanne I saw a video of her leaning in close to Barr and whispering in his ear. Don't have that but do have this:

ac8ce01cc1b8e9ba9817c20ffd98b3ed.png
  • SModa61
    Options
    @MikePfirrman Very interesting, so apparently that drug has multiple uses or is being used off label. Very interesting to see the doctor's selections and the "why's". I am hoping that your logical assumption, that they are treating aggressively due to rapid COVID progression, is wrong. I'm hoping they are just trying to get ahead of what "could happen". Time will tell.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @MikePfirrman That song, Garden Party, was the first thing on my mind this morning. Garden parties aren't everything. Hugs and kisses all around. Oooo, brother.

No one can prognosticate what's going to happen in the future. Out here in the wild, wild west you grow up learning how to trust your instincts. We're bent on survival. I don't have a peaceful easy feeling. I'm not a waiting-for-the-other-shoe-to-drop kind of person but I can almost see it fall.

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @MikePfirrman That song, Garden Party, was the first thing on my mind this morning. Garden parties aren't everything. Hugs and kisses all around. Oooo, brother.

No one can prognosticate what's going to happen in the future. Out here in the wild, wild west you grow up learning how to trust your instincts. We're bent on survival. I don't have a peaceful easy feeling. I'm not a waiting-for-the-other-shoe-to-drop kind of person but I can almost see it fall.

Oh sweetie. Keep being positive. I'll be there if you need a hand any time. I totally believe in staying positive through all of this crap. If you need anything ever tell me and I'll send it no problem. If you need just a virtual hug I'm here. We just have to ignore the jerks. I know everything will be fine soon.