Coronavirus prep

Replies

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    @Ann262 Thanks for putting the vet's situation in perspective. The only thing I will add is that I assume the vets would have had that same 2 week closedown requirement in the fall. In November and December, when I had several appointments, it was my choice if I came in or did curbside. In the fall, I was not vaccinated and was a greater risk to them, but now that I am vaccinated I am not allowed in. I think that is what adds to my frustration. I had more options when I was a greater risk to them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    SModa 61 - try to find a bank that is open to visitors. I needed some paperwork notarized and went to the nearest Credit Union that had indoor service. They had a couple of notaries available.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,828 Member
    edited May 2021
    Last comment for me. I thought I would share a vocabulary word that I was introduced to at some point this past year. When I catch myself happily expecting the worst for someone/thing/place, I think about how a country gave it a word and a how maybe I should be altering my thinking and not be thinking/hoping the worst. That word is Schadenfreude.

Edit: Just re-reading what I wrote. Hopefully all can get the concept I was trying to convey and overlook the wording.
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Our vet is doing curbside as well, you go to the parking lot and they call you to do a phone consult, then you bring your dog to the door. After they examine or vaccinate or whatever they are doing, they call again and do another phone consult, then you go to the door and get your dog. It's worked find for us for 3-4 visits over the last year. We also did one where the dog had a lesion and I just emailed them photos and they prescribed based on that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    SModa61 wrote: »
    @Ann262 Thanks for putting the vet's situation in perspective. The only thing I will add is that I assume the vets would have had that same 2 week closedown requirement in the fall. In November and December, when I had several appointments, it was my choice if I came in or did curbside. In the fall, I was not vaccinated and was a greater risk to them, but now that I am vaccinated I am not allowed in. I think that is what adds to my frustration. I had more options when I was a greater risk to them.

That's interesting. I've had a few vet appointments throughout this, and since covid started they've always done the wait in your car, get the call, drop the cat with someone at the door (or at the emergency place, they come to the car to get the animal), wait for the call to discuss, etc. I don't know when they plan to start.

I was bothered by this initially since one of my two cats has major vet fear (he takes anti anxiety medicine before going by I still like to be with him), but it has worked okay.

It's no problem to find a notary here, depending on the purpose, but there's also some zoom option, I believe.

Most everything is and has been open here, but there are still various limitations on the numbers of people allowed in (not to the extent that I run into lines like at the beginning) and still masks required inside normally (I think that last is changing in the rest of the state, but not here yet).
  • lemurcat2
    That sounds like a huge hassle, ugh.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Ugh, my deepest sympathies to all of you dealing with notaries and vets and ID’s. This makes me exceedingly happy to live in a place where notaries aren’t needed and ID’s can be renewed fully online and picked up from a post office that will ID you before releasing the package with the new ID. I’ve never owned pets so I don’t have experience with vets but from what I’ve heard, they’ve operated fairly normally throughout. The only vet-related limitation I’ve heard of is limiting how many humans can accompany a pet. That’s the same limitation with human doctors, though - my prenatal ultrasound appointments have a strict limit of one healthy adult support person (spouse or otherwise) per expectant mother, no children and no extra people.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,668 Member
    Our vet set-up was like yours, consulting on the phone out in the parking lot after the dog was taken indoors by the vet tech. Once they let me in when I requested it and on another occasion the vet actually came outside to talk with us since she didn't feel like the telephone consultation was enough. I understand why they do it, but it wasn't satisfying, especially since we had issues with our phone there. (It seems to be a dead zone, sometimes.)
  • lemurcat2
    edited May 2021
    hipari wrote: »
    Ugh, my deepest sympathies to all of you dealing with notaries and vets and ID’s. This makes me exceedingly happy to live in a place where notaries aren’t needed and ID’s can be renewed fully online and picked up from a post office that will ID you before releasing the package with the new ID. I’ve never owned pets so I don’t have experience with vets but from what I’ve heard, they’ve operated fairly normally throughout. The only vet-related limitation I’ve heard of is limiting how many humans can accompany a pet. That’s the same limitation with human doctors, though - my prenatal ultrasound appointments have a strict limit of one healthy adult support person (spouse or otherwise) per expectant mother, no children and no extra people.

The only times I've needed a notary have to do with legal documents (I'm a lawyer, and it seems like that SModa61 is dealing with a legal thing) and of course real estate sales/purchases or related refi of a mortgage. It's not like we need notaries constantly in the US. Are there no such similar things you would ever need one for?

Our driver's licenses can be renewed online (most common ID) so long as they are not expired, and a passport online if it was issued when you were older than 16 and no more than 15 years ago. However, there is a change in the type of ID needed for flying such that many driver's licenses don't fit the requirements and so there is a need to go in to replace the ID if you are switching to that (Real ID). But the deadline has been extended until 2023 for that to be required.