Coronavirus prep

Replies

• pfeiferlindsey
    pfeiferlindsey Posts: 163 Member
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    I would like to hear people's thoughts about the upcoming holidays and whether your "traditional" plans will be changed as a result of COVID.

My self-appointed title is the Grinch that stopped family holiday activities in 2020 by telling the family we would not be hosting Thanksgiving this year.

What, if anything, is changing for you and yours this holiday season?

Honestly, right now it's up in the air for my family. I do know we are taking precautions NOW in the hopes we can see our families for the holidays. I haven't seen my 89 year old grandmother since Christmas and not sure we'll be able to see her this year unless something drastic changes.

My kids do know that we probably aren't going to go Trick or Treating if our city even allows it. They threw fits, but "got it" when I asked if they'd rather do Halloween or maybe have Thanksgiving with Grandma and Grandpa. My mom is high risk, so ultimately, it's her decision.

We'll probably still visit my in-laws as they have already had COVID and are comfortable having us over (not going to debate that, just stating their comfort level).
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    @kimny72 -- that list is great. It also, though, makes me feel so bad for restaurant owners, gym owners and bar owners. They should be given loan forgiveness grants. I worked in restaurant management for years and I've also owned my own small business for years. I can't imagine as a business man, knowing what small margins bars/restaurants operate on, how they are going to survive until next Summer.

It's not that I don't agree with every single point that's listed, it's just clear that eating indoors, going to bars and gyms is the most dangerous things -- along with packed churches or parties, which should be obvious to all.

All of our favorite restaurants in Tucson have had to raise prices to stay afloat during Covid-19, which has ironically had a snowball effect. At least four or so have closed along with some local coffee shops (for good). Many retirees here only went to the places that offered cheap happy hour specials, which are now basically gone, because Happy Hour relies on volume to be profitable, something not possible at 50% capacity. So you see less and less people going out at all. It's very sad.

We have a very diverse economy now in Tucson but it does rely heavily on tech and hospitality for young people. The hospitality part is in shambles. The only thing keeping the real estate market super strong is everyone from Cali fleeing here to get away from high prices and wildfires.

Got an e-mail from our gym today. It included a graphic from a trade organization. Claim was of 2300 gyms that provided data they had close to 50 million check ins with an infection rate of .0023% and no evidence that positive cases originated in the gym since this has been going on.

• oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    @kimny72 -- that list is great. It also, though, makes me feel so bad for restaurant owners, gym owners and bar owners. They should be given loan forgiveness grants. I worked in restaurant management for years and I've also owned my own small business for years. I can't imagine as a business man, knowing what small margins bars/restaurants operate on, how they are going to survive until next Summer.

It's not that I don't agree with every single point that's listed, it's just clear that eating indoors, going to bars and gyms is the most dangerous things -- along with packed churches or parties, which should be obvious to all.

All of our favorite restaurants in Tucson have had to raise prices to stay afloat during Covid-19, which has ironically had a snowball effect. At least four or so have closed along with some local coffee shops (for good). Many retirees here only went to the places that offered cheap happy hour specials, which are now basically gone, because Happy Hour relies on volume to be profitable, something not possible at 50% capacity. So you see less and less people going out at all. It's very sad.

We have a very diverse economy now in Tucson but it does rely heavily on tech and hospitality for young people. The hospitality part is in shambles. The only thing keeping the real estate market super strong is everyone from Cali fleeing here to get away from high prices and wildfires.

Got an e-mail from our gym today. It included a graphic from a trade organization. Claim was of 2300 gyms that provided data they had close to 50 million check ins with an infection rate of .0023% and no evidence that positive cases originated in the gym since this has been going on.

I stopped by my gym today. The first thing I saw were giant portable air handlers around the place, which is a good start. Masks are also now mandatory, which wasn't true when they first re-opened. They have the machines six feet apart. They have cleaning stations everywhere and the staff reportedly cleans every 30 minutes. (Though, it's the airborne contagion that worries me.) The clerk said they've had one reported case since they re-opened working on three months ago.

My county in Pennsylvania is "green" and reports positive tests steady at 3.4% of those tested and 240 new cases this week. (I had to check that twice: remember when we would have been pleased with that as a daily number back in April/May?)

So...I'd like some feedback if I'm crazy for considering returning to the gym. Please be kind, though.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Though I'm contemplating the gym (see above), we're not going anywhere for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Not only are there medically compromised members of my family, but we'd have to quarantine ourselves for two weeks--there are 33 states at the moment on NJ/PA's lists.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    hansep0012 wrote: »
    I would like to hear people's thoughts about the upcoming holidays and whether your "traditional" plans will be changed as a result of COVID.

My self-appointed title is the Grinch that stopped family holiday activities in 2020 by telling the family we would not be hosting Thanksgiving this year.

What, if anything, is changing for you and yours this holiday season?

At this point, nothing different. Thanksgiving and Christmas don't tend to be huge gatherings...typically my wife's parents and my mom and her boyfriend and sometimes my sister and my stepmom. We didn't full stop seeing family back in March when this all started here, so we don't intend to now.

The only minor change is that my inlaws had intended to go to the east coast to see my wife's sister and my BIL, but canceled that and will be here instead.

I don't anticipate any changes unless the situation here changes drastically. Frankly, we have a very low infection rate and while I've wholeheartedly supported our governor, the goal posts for "gating criteria" for opening keep changing and it's getting old. It's feeling like less "flatten the curve" (we've been more than flat for months now) to eliminate the virus completely which isn't really going to happen.