Coronavirus prep

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    edited April 2021
    Here in Australia the advice is not to get Covid vaccine within 2 weeks of any other vaccine.(before or after)

Bit tricky as now is also flu vaccine season here - and we have to be careful to have 2 week minimum interval.

But it applies to Covid and any other vaccine.

When we get the vaccine in the USA, they have a form we fill out with a bunch of questions. I forget how long, but one of the questions is if we have had any other vaccine within the prior X number of day (weeks, months?). I assume they would not give the Covid vaccine if someone marked Yes to that question.

I filled out a similar form, and although it asked if we had gotten another vaccine within the past 14 days, it specifically stated "not a contraindication." The question about pregnancy was the same.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Well, this is disturbing news about the “Double Mutant” variant. Especially how it has quickly become the dominant strain in multiple countries and might be driving more severe illness in younger people. 😞 https://apple.news/AAh0yiivNQX6UFiJq-wfXnw
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Here in Australia the advice is not to get Covid vaccine within 2 weeks of any other vaccine.(before or after)

Bit tricky as now is also flu vaccine season here - and we have to be careful to have 2 week minimum interval.

When we get the vaccine in the USA, they have a form we fill out with a bunch of questions. I forget how long, but one of the questions is if we have had any other vaccine within the prior X number of day (weeks, months?). I assume they would not give the Covid vaccine if someone marked Yes to that question.

I filled out a similar form, and although it asked if we had gotten another vaccine within the past 14 days, it specifically stated "not a contraindication." The question about pregnancy was the same.

Is a contraindication here ( having any other vaccine in previous 2 weeks)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    Canada has updated it's guidance to allow anyone over 30 to get the Astra Zeneca vaccine - "if they don't want to wait for an mRNA vaccine." We are getting enough mRNA to (eventually) cover everyone so they aren't forcing anyone to get it, but I guess with cases surging they want to give the option to take whatever is available first. I'm not sure that we even have any Astra Zeneca left anyway, but we could potentially get more from the US because they haven't approved it yet.
    Prime Minister and his wife got it yesterday - politicians really have no choice I guess they have to take it if they expect others to.
    Interestingly we have had two VIIT reactions in the province and they have both been men in their 60s (although we just started giving it to 40+ year olds last week so that is probably a factor)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,926 Member
    Yes that is the difference in risk benefit scenarios - Canada has rampant community transmission.

Australia has almost none - therefore it is safe to discourage vaccination of pregnant women and hold off on AZ vaccine for under 50 s even though that means no vaccine availability for many in practice since regional areas do not have Pfizer, the only other vaccine available anywhere in Aus.

• Psychgrrl
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Is a contraindication here ( having any other vaccine in previous 2 weeks)

It was for me, too. California.
  • Psychgrrl
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    33gail33 wrote: »
    My SIL texted me that her neighbor had gone to the health dept vaccine clinic nearby for her appt and heard they had a couple of hundred extra J&J shots that they were accepting walk ins for. I put on some real pants and ran down there and within 15 minutes I was vaccinated.

I am on their mailing list and follow them on FB, and there were no emails or posts advertising it. And there were folks there, but no line. I'm so grateful I found out about it, but no idea why they weren't pulling names off the state list and texting people.

So I ran a bit of a fever last night and felt generally achy. I woke up this morning and the fever is gone for now, but the news said the FDA is suggesting the US halt J&J because it's also seeing rare cases of this blood clot disorder. Oh boy :neutral:

Nate Silver has a valid point if you follow him on Twitter. Basically pointing out that the number of deaths prevented by going forward with the vaccine far outweighs the number of deaths from this blood clot issue. He is right.

From a public health perspective it makes sense, even if 1/1000 people died from the vaccine, the other 999 would be protected from COVID death. But do I want to be that one person who sacrifices myself for the cause? Not really.

I think the main issue here is that we have other vaccines available that don't *seem* to have the same reaction. So is it really ethical to continue using vaccines that do cause this reaction?

As paperpudding suggested that probably depends on how bad the outbreak is in a given place. In Australia it would seem that they could safely wait without too much death and destruction happening. Here in Ontario cases are out of control and our hospitals are getting overwhelmed, so might not be the best idea to wait.

J&J is the only single-dose, and I am hearing from a lot of people that won't do 2, but will take 1. Or they are ok with J&J because it works differently supposedly. In addition, a single-dose works best for transient populations (such as prisons).

Finally, there is that question of how many vaccine doses are available otherwise. Does pulling J&J delay some from getting a vaccine. My understanding is that the answer is Yes... and that's why the risk is so much higher to pull it.

FTR nobody is "sacrificing" themselves - it isn't known if you will be the 1 in 7 million that dies from the vaccine. It is taking a risk of getting Covid (1 in 15,000 deaths if using conservative estimates and incorrectly ignoring compounded spread to others) vs. taking the risk of death from vaccine at 1 in 7,000,000.

My "sacrificing myself" comment was based on my hypothetical 1/1000 scenario regarding risk in general not specific to the 1 in 7 million. However the 1 in 7 million isn't necessarily accurate either as they don't have all the data. For example if elderly populations were vaccinated first (and make up say half of the 7 million) and they react less frequently then the risk to someone 30 years old could be significantly higher. Also they originally said that women were at higher risk for AZ but that could due to the fact that the proportion of women in health care fields is higher, so they got the vaccine first.
    All that said the risk does appear to be quite low - but we won't know until a lot more data comes in how low it really is.

Elderly who wanted vaccines got them before J&J became available in US, so highly unlikely that half are elderly. Recipients will skew young.

At least here in California, the J&J vaccine was also very popular for and among the homeless population here because it was one dose. I would guess that's the case elsewhere as well, too. Our Public Health/COVID Response Director said the pause in administering J&J was also likely to give time to track down those who might have had side effects as they might not be readily identifiable as CVST or that they are related to the vaccine, given that the reactions have occurred at least six days after the person received the vaccine.

Yeah, there is a cost to any time lost with the J&J vaxx because there are a number of people for whom getting them in (or going to them) more than once is unlikely or at least difficult. It was kind of apropos that J&J was coming in late behind the first two in the US, as it was going to be most useful in disadvantaged populations that would be lagging behind the haves anyway.

If they were using the pause to see if this was a larger problem that would reveal itself now that it was known, it doesn't appear like that's happened so far. Hopefully they are updating the fact sheet, getting the word out to the HC community how to treat this rare situation, and then they'll open it back up. If someone who has access to the other shots and no medical reason to avoid them want to choose to not get J&J and look for an mRna shot that's fine, but we are in a race so I hope this is a short pause.

I just read a good piece about the vaccination effort in NorCal. The mostly rural areas (not the Bay Area), are already leaning towards the anti-vaccine way and the sparsely populated areas make Moderna/Pfizer unrealistic because of the 1000-ish doses per vial. They can’t travel enough to get them into peoples’ arms in a day. And the. There’s coming back around for dose two. Because of the reluctance to vaccinate, public health officials have been going to the people instead of expecting them to come to a vaccination site.

I don’t know what the response will be to J&J now.
  • Psychgrrl
    lokihen wrote: »
    After my first moderna shot the pharmacist didn't say anything about avoiding painkillers. This time I was told to take Tylenol and avoid ibuprofin. I just checked the CDC guidance and it doesn't suggest any restrictions post shot. Any ideas why there is a difference?

Something in the NSAIDs can interfere with the immune response, whereas acetaminophen doesn’t. I know the actual explanation is deeper, but that was all I needed to know. 😃