Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Way back in Mar., I was advocating for this here in the U.S. Most disagreed, but it has gotten out of hand here. I still think we need a total and complete shutdown for 3-4 weeks where only essential employees (healthcare and designated support) are allowed to leave. Under my vision then (and now), nobody else leaves home. Food, supplies, and medicine delivery would be done by people in full PPE and contactless (i.e. set order down at door and leave before person opens door). But nobody wanted to do that. They would rather have months or years of limited contact rather than weeks of zero contact.

To be honest though, isn't this pretty much what most of Europe did in in spring? An now it's coming back there hard.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »
    I started going back to the gym in July. I don't wear a mask. I use common sense and wipe everything down, like I did before. My family and I go out to eat as well. If the establishment didn't require a mask, I wouldn't wear one. The virus is not going away, and I'm going to live my life with common sense.

I hope this means that if you or your family get sick, you will not seek medical attention and just 'live it out' at home.

I'm pretty sure I had it back in February. Yes, if one of us were to get sick, we would stay home. Like I said, common sense. I don't believe in thin paper masks. I don't believe in everyone just staying home. The virus is not going away.

I think your definition of common sense and mine are very different. I'm not locked in my home. I go out to dinner, go to the grocery store. I went to Top Golf last week to enjoy a lovely day. We take drives, go for walks, bike ride, swim and have one couple we spend time with often. Wed and Saturdays are our nights out. We always dine outside and wear masks, even not when required. I actually wore a mask at Top Golf when the instructor was close and then took it off to hit balls. I think I actually wore it sometimes even hitting balls. It's a very small inconvenience. Trivial compared to what our first responders are doing.

The virus is not going away because everyone that has refused to wear masks and social distance. And "paper masks" are very effective at keeping others, as well as your family, safe. And if you do get it, can mean the difference between a mild case with a low viral load or an ICU unit.

Common sense is good hygiene. I see people touch the keypad at a store, who has been touched by how many people, and not sanitized. Then touch their faces to remove their mask. A long with door handles, bags, etc. How many do you think sanitize? Or think about cross contamination? That's the real problem. The solution though, wear a thin paper mask. Unless you wear a hazmat suite or a respirator and goggles, then you really aren't protected. It's nothing but a feel good measure for the masses. Even the CDC can't make up their minds.

I think you've been misled. Masks DO protect you and the people around you. This is a scientific fact, and the CDC HAS made up its mind. Anyone who tells you different has an agenda that does not include your health.

I don't understand how mask wearing makes touching a keypad or door handle worse than what you are doing btw. And I assume you don't necessarily see the person remove the mask, since they do so outside the store. I know I sanitize my hands before removing my mask, and assume others do as well.

I can't tell you how many people I have seen in the locker room not wash their hands after using the bathroom. A lot of people have poor hygiene. That's far more important than a mask.

Which is probably why most of the posters and public announcements I've seen in the US stress a variety of prevention measures, including washing your hands regularly. We don't have to choose between wearing a mask and washing our hands. We can (and should!) do both.

That same person that didn't wash their hands just placed a mask on their face. Which means the mask may now be contaminated.

True but the person is probably keeping most of the virus to themselves rather that spreading it around.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Re Australia question Some people have second homes. They had to stay in one state if the borders were locked.
    There were some exemption for essential travellers, but going to a holiday home was not one of them.

Same for us, here in Italy, you could not go to vacation homes. People would check and report you (everyone knows which homes are vacation). Police stopped cars on the road, and you had to have permission for where you were going--work, humanitarian (helping an elderly relative), etc. This was during Lockdown last spring. We are going into another Lockdown. The numbers keep climbing. My husband's cousins are all down with COVID. Luckily we haven't seen them for over 3 weeks.

Way back in Mar., I was advocating for this here in the U.S. Most disagreed, but it has gotten out of hand here. I still think we need a total and complete shutdown for 3-4 weeks where only essential employees (healthcare and designated support) are allowed to leave. Under my vision then (and now), nobody else leaves home. Food, supplies, and medicine delivery would be done by people in full PPE and contactless (i.e. set order down at door and leave before person opens door). But nobody wanted to do that. They would rather have months or years of limited contact rather than weeks of zero contact.

To be honest though, isn't this pretty much what most of Europe did in in spring? An now it's coming back there hard.

I suspect if we had done this as well, it wouldn't be coming back in Europe. Where is it coming from? Is their second wave mostly or entirely organic? I would bet not.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I suspect if we had done this as well, it wouldn't be coming back in Europe. Where is it coming from? Is their second wave mostly or entirely organic? I would bet not.

Europe has pretty stringent travel restrictions since spring so most likely source is mainly organic