Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    My mom got her first dose. She’s in rural TN. It was drive-by and took less than an hour in line. You had to have an appointment and then show proof of being over 75.

The only way she knew who to call was that a friend told her the night before that she heard about the number to call. I have looked at their county health department and can’t see any evidence of how to get the shot, and they told her they weren’t advertising it.

I've been looking on my state's website and can't find any info on where to get a vaccine. (I did this as an intellectual exercise - we're in Phase one of the rollout and no one I know can get one til Phase 2.)

As of this writing, vaccinefinder.org does not have the COVID vaccine as a category.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-vaccine-frequently-asked-questions#once-the-vaccine-is-available,-where-can-i-go-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine?

Public vaccine clinics including COVID-19 vaccine when available can be found at CDC’s interactive website: vaccinefinder.org. Once vaccine is widely available you can also check with your primary care provider, local pharmacy or local health department. Information will also be available on the DPH website.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,166 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My mom got her first dose. She’s in rural TN. It was drive-by and took less than an hour in line. You had to have an appointment and then show proof of being over 75.

The only way she knew who to call was that a friend told her the night before that she heard about the number to call. I have looked at their county health department and can’t see any evidence of how to get the shot, and they told her they weren’t advertising it.

I've been looking on my state's website and can't find any info on where to get a vaccine. (I did this as an intellectual exercise - we're in Phase one of the rollout and no one I know can get one til Phase 2.)

As of this writing, vaccinefinder.org does not have the COVID vaccine as a category.

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-vaccine-frequently-asked-questions#once-the-vaccine-is-available,-where-can-i-go-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine?

Public vaccine clinics including COVID-19 vaccine when available can be found at CDC’s interactive website: vaccinefinder.org. Once vaccine is widely available you can also check with your primary care provider, local pharmacy or local health department. Information will also be available on the DPH website.

Ah, the federal response.

We're starting phase 1B here locally (my county), which for us (Michigan) includes members of the general public of older ages, or some comorbid conditions. I know of some who've gotten appointments, and gotten the first shot, but it's not at all widespread, rather just barey getting started. Clearly, that availability information is not yet on the federal CDC site, despite what they claim. (It is on the State of Michigan's site, which I believe I posed up-thread.)

Heh.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I live for disagrees >:)

All kind of information out making it seem as if AZ is the worst place on the planet, and it might be. I dunno know. I'm just glad I'm a semi hermit. We are going to San Diego next week to see my son (and celebrate our 30th Anniversary). That's the son that already had Covid, so at least I believe we're good seeing him. We are renting an AirBnB and pretty much going to behave just like we do here -- eat at home, buy groceries and order take out and that's about it. The only difference being that we'll be two blocks from Seal Beach in La Jolla while doing it. I'm thinking for extra good measure, I'll take a can or two of Lysol just to spray in the place when we get there and then open up the windows and let it air out. Oh, and we'll drive. It's only around 6 hours from here to there. I actually quite enjoy the drive through the sand dunes to the mountains and then down to the ocean.

California is likely safer than AZ right now with most everything being shut down.

Mike do you know that the governor asks people from other states or countries NOT to come to California?
    I don't know how things are in Arizona, but California is not safe right now, unlesds not COVID safe. Our hospitals and ICUs capacity are maxed out.

Coronavirus: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, California has imposed a regional stay-at-home order and banned non-essential travel throughout the state except in a region north of Sonoma County. Governor Gavin Newsom said he was “pulling the emergency brake” with this announcement, which restricts hotel stays for leisure travel and other business activity in affected areas. You can find more details here.

"California public health officials have recommended that visitors from out of state, including California residents, quarantine for 14 days after entering or returning to California."

https://www.visitcalifornia.com/latest-covid-19-coronavirus/

I'd love not to go but I'm not losing 2K either. AirBNB isn't forcing home owners to refund money.

Agree. that's why when we rented a cabin for a few days over Christmas we rented one with the latest cancellation date in the area.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

All kind of information out making it seem as if AZ is the worst place on the planet, and it might be. I dunno know. I'm just glad I'm a semi hermit. We are going to San Diego next week to see my son (and celebrate our 30th Anniversary). That's the son that already had Covid, so at least I believe we're good seeing him. We are renting an AirBnB and pretty much going to behave just like we do here -- eat at home, buy groceries and order take out and that's about it. The only difference being that we'll be two blocks from Seal Beach in La Jolla while doing it. I'm thinking for extra good measure, I'll take a can or two of Lysol just to spray in the place when we get there and then open up the windows and let it air out. Oh, and we'll drive. It's only around 6 hours from here to there. I actually quite enjoy the drive through the sand dunes to the mountains and then down to the ocean.

California is likely safer than AZ right now with most everything being shut down.

Mike do you know that the governor asks people from other states or countries NOT to come to California?
    I don't know how things are in Arizona, but California is not safe right now, unlesds not COVID safe. Our hospitals and ICUs capacity are maxed out.

Coronavirus: Due to the coronavirus pandemic, California has imposed a regional stay-at-home order and banned non-essential travel throughout the state except in a region north of Sonoma County. Governor Gavin Newsom said he was “pulling the emergency brake” with this announcement, which restricts hotel stays for leisure travel and other business activity in affected areas. You can find more details here.

"California public health officials have recommended that visitors from out of state, including California residents, quarantine for 14 days after entering or returning to California."

I'd love not to go but I'm not losing 2K either. AirBNB isn't forcing home owners to refund money.

Agree. that's why when we rented a cabin for a few days over Christmas we rented one with the latest cancellation date in the area.

Yeah, it's the CA Governor protecting the people owning the properties but not those renting them. So, if they really wanted to keep everyone out, force them to refund money. Now, I understand what economic toll that would take on these people that rent homes, and I'm very sad for that. But they know if you rent a home and can't get a refund that you'll be coming. They have made all hotels in CA not be able to take short term stays. That's smart. But the hotel chains are getting killed financially.

Look, I've been sheltering in place the entire flippin' pandemic. If everyone acted as responsibly as me, we wouldn't be in this position. And I will shelter in place while in CA. Nothing will change.

I hope people get back to common sense soon.

Last year in the Florida Keys, renters were kicked out and then they put a road block/resisdency check on the highway. As for refunds, county did not care. That was between the renter and rentor. If you were a renter that tried to stay behind, police were called by neighbors.

The company I'm renting from owns nearly the entire street, so that's not happening. But I appreciate the warning. They have said you can come as long as you shelter in place, but the state is discouraging it, as they should.

@missysippy930 - agreed. If the events of this week are any indication, pandemics will the last of our worries soon, sadly, but predictably.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

Yeah, it's the CA Governor protecting the people owning the properties but not those renting them. So, if they really wanted to keep everyone out, force them to refund money. Now, I understand what economic toll that would take on these people that rent homes, and I'm very sad for that. But they know if you rent a home and can't get a refund that you'll be coming. They have made all hotels in CA not be able to take short term stays. That's smart. But the hotel chains are getting killed financially.

Look, I've been sheltering in place the entire flippin' pandemic. If everyone acted as responsibly as me, we wouldn't be in this position. And I will shelter in place while in CA. Nothing will change.

I hope people get back to common sense soon.

Last year in the Florida Keys, renters were kicked out and then they put a road block/resisdency check on the highway. As for refunds, county did not care. That was between the renter and rentor. If you were a renter that tried to stay behind, police were called by neighbors.

The company I'm renting from owns nearly the entire street, so that's not happening. But I appreciate the warning. They have said you can come as long as you shelter in place, but the state is discouraging it, as they should.

@missysippy930 - agreed. If the events of this week are any indication, pandemics will the last of our worries soon, sadly, but predictably.

It was pretty crazy last year, while I understood the concerns of that county, some actions made no sense. They booted friends of ours that had been there already 6 weeks out of their 3 month rental. Made no sense to me. They were not new arrivals, so at that point in time, how different were they from any local. Ourselves, we are new owners down there and arrived on March 1, just before COVID really blew up, in our car with Massachusetts plates. Yup, that was not great for those next few months.

Stay safe, stay healthy!