Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Early on it was reported 12 people got Covid-19 from mink farms but then there is not solid science when it comes to Covid-19 today.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    A local news report just stated that due to changes that went into effect on Jan. 1, not all covid tests will be covered by insurance. If not, the average cost is $260.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    A local news report just stated that due to changes that went into effect on Jan. 1, not all covid tests will be covered by insurance. If not, the average cost is $260.

Here, in Italy, pharmacies are doing testing for $20, as well as other testing centers. Usually they have a tent right outside and one registers, pays, and stands in line. It's quick and doesn't cost much and the results are also immediate (quick testing). If you get a positive, you can go to get a more thorough test at a center.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,879 Member
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »

Where are you located? Hubby and I have done some of the Massachusetts free, but then opted into some of the asymptomatic "paid" options. Hubby went to one place, $150, then I found a better - same day PCR for $120. Excellent response. He will be using that source in two weeks after traveling home again.
  • SModa61
    Options
    Getting thoughts on behalf of daughter. Yesterday, she came to me (I was babysitting during their work from home) and said she had a question and was stressing. Basically, her boss wants all staff to get the COVID vaccine now (she works for a hospital, but does not have contact with any patients). DD wants the vaccine, but feels very guilty accepting it as she feels that she would be taking a vaccination from someone in more critical need. I don't want to bias your responses, so I will not share my response. Curious what yours might be.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    RE: testing and positivity rates...

Since I've returned to work about a month ago, my company has been testing us twice a week, using a private lab. I imagine a lot of companies are doing the same. Im curious if they report the results, both positive and negative, to the local heath authorities. I just wonder if it's up to the private company if they want to report their numbers, or if they are required to.

The results from a private company, who is testing everyone, would actually give you a better idea of the community positivity rate. Most people who are getting tested at public sites are going because they have symptoms or have been exposed, which is going to skew the numbers.
  • SModa61
    edited January 2021
    Options

Since I've returned to work about a month ago, my company has been testing us twice a week, using a private lab. I imagine a lot of companies are doing the same. Im curious if they report the results, both positive and negative, to the local heath authorities. I just wonder if it's up to the private company if they want to report their numbers, or if they are required to.

The results from a private company, who is testing everyone, would actually give you a better idea of the community positivity rate. Most people who are getting tested at public sites are going because they have symptoms or have been exposed, which is going to skew the numbers.

That may depend on where you are. Hubby and I have never been exposed, but between us, we have done 3 tests and 4th in two weeks. All have been precautionary due to travel. And given the state of my county, travel is IMO less concerning than just living at home, so a little illogical in our case, but following state guidelines.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »

That may depend on where you are. Hubby and I have never been exposed, but between us, we have done 3 tests and 4th in two weeks. All have been precautionary due to travel. And given the state of my county, travel is IMO less concerning than just living at home, so a little illogical in our case, but following state guidelines.

Whereas where I live, you can only get the public test if you have symptoms or if the national authorities contact you to tell you you are at risk (e.g. close contact of someone who tested positive). If you want to do it as a precaution, or because you might have been in close contact but you were not informed by the authorities and do not have symptoms yourself, you need to pay.
  • SModa61
    edited January 2021
    Options
    @MikePfirrman @suzysunshine99 @janejellyroll @cbihatt Thank you for your thoughtful responses. I will share with DD today when I baby-sit again. The leanings you all have match mine and I have made many of the same points. She is just so concerned she is cheating someone else out of their shot.

@Redordeadhead Massachusetts has had a "Stop the Spread" campaign. For that campaign, test were ONLY free if individual is asymptomatic. Those with symptoms have insurance billed, and I believe there was an additional plan for those that are uninsured. We chose to pay for those last two tests as there were rumors of multiple hour long lines. My first test was one of the free but was at a facility that did it by appointment. They have since left the "free" program. To do appointment, we had to go for paid option - or lie (ie claim we have symptoms and hope insurance covers).

Edited to add cbihatt. Our posts crossed because of my slow typing.