Coronavirus prep

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    My question is...does anyone foresee international travel being any less of a risk in the coming years? Of course, we don't know for sure, but based on how the virus has behaved, this is not going away anytime soon. I personally think it will always be around in some form.

Are we always going to say, "Well, what if...?" At what point will it be an acceptable risk...like the risk that the weather will be bad, or your flight will be cancelled, or your car breaks down, or you get hurt, or you get sick with any illness?

Traveling is full of risks; it always has been. Travel insurance is a must on an expensive trip. I just, personally, am sick of staying close to home. I can only do so many Wisconsin road trips. I've eaten too much cheese and bratwurst.

I live in Rome, Italy and we are chock full of American tourists, and just tourists in general. The idea here is that people who are fragile should continue to get vaxxed and mask up and the rest are free to do what they want. In a country that relies on tourism for a good part of the economy it really can't go any other way.

I think we will continue on this route unless a virulent new strain shows up. Also think that the virus will spike every winter and calm down during the warmer months.People are just tired of the whole thing. Most people don't even get tested for COVID anymore. If you're sick you just stay home. You still need a test for most flights and I'd mask up on a crowded flight. I'd still wash hands frequently and avoid heavily crowed indoor areas while traveling. As for quarantining, definitely get travel insurance.

I have friends coming to stay with us and flying in from Milwaukee. He's a doctor and has had a heart replacement. I was a little surprised that they decided to travel in full COVID. Spring would be safer. However, I'll get their take on the whole thing when they get here and then report back. They arrive Nov 9th.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Our of curiosity, what are the current isolation requirements in everyone's part of the world at the moment? Here in Victoria, Australia (and I think the rest of the country but I won't swear up to it), they've done away with mandatory isolation and the only restrictions on what you can do if positive is not visit aged and disability care facilities and hospitals, unless seeking immediate medical care. Lot's of workplaces are still requiring you not come in if covid positive, or showing symptoms, however.

Not sure if it is national or not - but here in South Australia mandatory isolation has ceased and mask wearing only applies in tier 1 health settings - ie nursing homes and hospitals.

tier 2 health settings (GP surgeries, optomitrists, pharmacies etc) no longer need masks

However tier 2 health settings have been given option to continue enforcing this if they wish - so if a GP surgery, wants to have everyone masked they can still require this

Likewise individual organisations like nursing homes can make flu and covid vaccines mandatory for visitors, although this is no longer a national requirement

(mandatory requirement for staff has not changed)
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    edited October 2022
    The only thing that kept me from travelling was the restrictions and testing requirements, I'm not super worried about getting Covid (I've had Covid at least once, plus 4 shots.) As long as things are open and I don't have to worry about getting stuck somewhere I would go - we took our first vacation in two years in May and will be going away again either over Christmas or in January. Canada is completely open with no travel/vaccine/testing restrictions, and I'm not aware of any restrictions anywhere I would care to travel to either.

My only concern at this point is all the doom and gloom reporting about new variants hitting us over the winter. If things get really bad I imagine some restrictions could be re-introduced - but I think it would have to be really bad for that to happen. (When Covid first hit I had to cancel two planned vacations, I ended up getting 90%+ of my money back on those.)
  • 33gail33
    Over six and a half million people have died from Covid. People are still dying. We aren’t world travelers anyway, but I do think that common sense should be used. Mask up in enclosed areas, hand washing etc, wherever you travel. Regular flu seems to be on the rise this season. We’re scheduled for our 3rd Covid booster and our annual flu shot on Monday. We mask up still when we go anywhere. Neither of us has had so much as a sniffle all during Covid. I think masking helps.

When I got a Covid booster recently they told me to wait two weeks before getting a flu (or any other) vaccine.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    33gail33 wrote: »
    Over six and a half million people have died from Covid. People are still dying. We aren’t world travelers anyway, but I do think that common sense should be used. Mask up in enclosed areas, hand washing etc, wherever you travel. Regular flu seems to be on the rise this season. We’re scheduled for our 3rd Covid booster and our annual flu shot on Monday. We mask up still when we go anywhere. Neither of us has had so much as a sniffle all during Covid. I think masking helps.

When I got a Covid booster recently they told me to wait two weeks before getting a flu (or any other) vaccine.

Interesting…here they are pushing both at the same time. I got mine a week apart, but my husband and my parents got both together.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member

When we got our first two boosters, they said to wait 3 weeks to get any other vaccine. This one is for the new strain. They’re scheduling them with the flu vaccine, and it’s being encouraged by doctors. One in each arm. https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-booster-flu-shot-same-time.amp.html
  • SuzySunshine99

When we got our first two boosters, they said to wait 3 weeks to get any other vaccine. This one is for the new strain. They’re scheduling them with the flu vaccine, and it’s being encouraged by doctors. One in each arm. https://www.nytimes.com/article/covid-booster-flu-shot-same-time.amp.html

Same arm is better. Why have two sore arms instead of one?

As we will probably be getting Covid shots on a yearly basis, it’s going to make sense to combine them with the flu shot.

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    That’s what they’re recommending. I’ll ask the pharmacist on Monday. Neither of us have had much reaction with previous vaccines. A little tenderness maybe. We’ll see 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • SuzySunshine99
    That’s what they’re recommending. I’ll ask the pharmacist on Monday. Neither of us have had much reaction with previous vaccines. A little tenderness maybe. We’ll see 🤷🏼‍♀️

Hmmm, yeah, my husband got both at Costco, and my parents got theirs at Walgreens. Both places said do the same arm to keep soreness localized. I don’t think it matters.
  • 33gail33
    edited October 2022

Mine was the new bivalent one, and idk she told me to wait two weeks. It was at the beginning of October so early for a flu shot anyway, so it didn't matter to me.

I probably wouldn't have taken both together anyway because I was a bit nervous about the side effects since it was the Moderna vaccine and my original series was Pfizer, plus I was sick when I got it.

I have since heard ads on the radio here telling people they can get both at once - maybe this particular provider has their own opinion on the timing recommendations.

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Speaking of sore arms post shots, I recently completed a 6 month course of Lupron, where I had one shot per month, preferably in different parts of the body. I had the first in my arm, the second in my thigh, and the rest in my glutes, because THERE WAS NO SORENESS WHATSOEVER IN MY GLUTE.

When I got my latest COVID booster last month I requested it in the glute and she said she could not do that. This was not due to privacy concerns, as we were in a little room. Also, apparently when it comes to giving injections, the glutes are much higher than I thought. Probably I was thinking of Gluteus Maximus and they are injecting in the higher Gluteus Medius.

So now I am going to try to get my flu shot at my doctor's office so I can get this in my glute.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,977 Member
    Flu and Covid vaccines have been given at same time in Australia for all of 2022.

Originally, ie in 2021, they were to be 2 weeks apart then 1 week apart - this year can be same time

This didnt have anything to do with which strain or brand of Covid (or flu) - but more to do with caution because it was a new vaccine.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,779 Member
    My understanding is that vaccines are not usually given in the glutes because they are not as effective. I have to say based on one experience of being stung by a scorpion in the arm versus being stung by a scorpion in the but that it does seem to be more sensible. Just some light humor. But true
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    I'm in the U.S. and I got the bivalent COVID booster and the flu shot on the same day last month.

• 33gail33
    edited October 2022
    quotes wrong post
  • 33gail33
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Speaking of sore arms post shots, I recently completed a 6 month course of Lupron, where I had one shot per month, preferably in different parts of the body. I had the first in my arm, the second in my thigh, and the rest in my glutes, because THERE WAS NO SORENESS WHATSOEVER IN MY GLUTE.

When I got my latest COVID booster last month I requested it in the glute and she said she could not do that. This was not due to privacy concerns, as we were in a little room. Also, apparently when it comes to giving injections, the glutes are much higher than I thought. Probably I was thinking of Gluteus Maximus and they are injecting in the higher Gluteus Medius.

So now I am going to try to get my flu shot at my doctor's office so I can get this in my glute.

You definitely can't get a rabies vaccine in the glutes, the antibody response is lessened. I don't know about other vaccines but I imagine it would be similar.

Does Lupron trigger an antibody response, or is it something different? If not maybe that is why the glute is an acceptable spot for it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

You definitely can't get a rabies vaccine in the glutes, the antibody response is lessened. I don't know about other vaccines but I imagine it would be similar.

Does Lupron trigger an antibody response, or is it something different? If not maybe that is why the glute is an acceptable spot for it.

Typically they don't want to give vaccines in the glutes because there is a major nerve trunk running through and it's pretty easy to hit something like the sciatic nerve and mess you up pretty good.