Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    My husband just bought some of the KN95 masks. I know they vary as far as quality, and have no idea if these are better or worse than my multi-layer cloth masks.

He's trying to convince me that I should be wearing these to work instead of the cloth masks, especially with the new strains of the virus.

I don't work with the "public", but I have to sit in a closed room with 9 of my co-workers, separated by plexiglass (which I'm not convinced helps at all).

Not sure which ones I'll end up wearing.

I bought some a bit ago but didn't like them, as I felt my breath way more which was weird (they have this compartment). Oddly enough I was talking to a friend today about them, and he said basically what Mike did -- that they are better for fogging but tug on the ears. When I go to work, which I am tomorrow, I usually do masks in public spaces but not in my private office, so based on this discussion I'm leaning toward the KN95+cloth mask in public and then no mask otherwise.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Here is a reason you can be glad to not live in China ATM. They are apparently rolling out anal swabs as a more accurate way of testing for COVID. Curious if it is self swab, or some poor medical personnel are having to carry out those tests.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/coronavirus-testing-china-trials-anal-swabbing-for-highrisk-cases/news-story/4b4d71274e89120a77c70e282e419704

Only for key high risk groups in quarantine

Obviously not practical for widespread screening.

Drive through testing centres would look interesting though. :o

Brings back to mind the "Covid testing in rear" sign that was a meme a while back . . . .

LOL yes indeed.

many a true word spoken in jest...... B):D

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    My husband just bought some of the KN95 masks. I know they vary as far as quality, and have no idea if these are better or worse than my multi-layer cloth masks.

He's trying to convince me that I should be wearing these to work instead of the cloth masks, especially with the new strains of the virus.

I don't work with the "public", but I have to sit in a closed room with 9 of my co-workers, separated by plexiglass (which I'm not convinced helps at all).

I bought some a bit ago but didn't like them, as I felt my breath way more which was weird (they have this compartment). Oddly enough I was talking to a friend today about them, and he said basically what Mike did -- that they are better for fogging but tug on the ears. When I go to work, which I am tomorrow, I usually do masks in public spaces but not in my private office, so based on this discussion I'm leaning toward the KN95+cloth mask in public and then no mask otherwise.

Many people have mentioned the ear-tugging issue with the KN95s. I tried one of mine on, and actually have the opposite problem. I have a small head, and they are too loose on me. My cloth ones have adjustable ear loops, so they fit much better.

I might try doubling them up...maybe the KN95 will fit me better over the cloth mask. Or else I'll have to try to rig something to tighten the ear loops on the 95s.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    CDC recommends schools reopen for in person learning.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/960885936/cdc-makes-case-for-school-reopening
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

You can get them without the air vent. The first ones I got had the air vent -- some businesses don't like those (like doctors offices), because they allow your air to come out of them, potentially exposing others if you're an asymptomatic carrier.

If you're going to go in your office without a mask, I'd certainly look into a whole room air purifier with UV light. There's no way I'd work in an office without a mask and trust the ventilation systems. They are not built to prevent any strain of Covid-19, much less the new variants. And it's all about viral load -- I believe that's why they are saying these new variants could be more deadly -- more contagious means it takes less time to get a higher viral load when exposed. And if you have a window, keep the sunshine beaming in to your office. Though glass filters out most UV rays, some still gets through.

This is a decent summary of many of them, though not a scientific publication, by any means. But UV does work.

https://heavy.com/home/uv-air-purifier/
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    And if you have a window, keep the sunshine beaming in to your office. Though glass filters out most UV rays, some still gets through.

I do have good sunlight, at least when we have sun.

(I initially misread this as you suggesting opening the window, and not only does it not open, but I was thinking "someone forgets there are climates where January and open windows don't mesh!) ;-)

My masks don't have vents, it's the shape of it that feels weird.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    And if you have a window, keep the sunshine beaming in to your office. Though glass filters out most UV rays, some still gets through.

(I initially misread this as you suggesting opening the window, and not only does it not open, but I was thinking "someone forgets there are climates where January and open windows don't mesh!) ;-)

Yeah, my wife calls them "cone masks". The shape is odd and a bit uncomfortable.

I haven't been in AZ that long to forget the cold! I'm actually freezing today and it's only like 42.

And further, I was wrong anyway -- I knew that window glass allows some UV light to come in, but it seems they block nearly 100% of the UV-C light -- I was curious about that so looked it up. UV-C is the only type of UV that kills germs in the air.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q12082.html#:~:text=UV-C is produced only,UV-C light is blocked.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    CDC recommends schools reopen for in person learning.

https://www.npr.org/2021/01/26/960885936/cdc-makes-case-for-school-reopening

Sample of 1 but my wife is in education and had to stay home for 2 weeks last fall due to close contact with a kid and his mom that tested positive.

Sample of 1...

Sad but the article makes a lot of good points. 🤷‍♀️
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options

Yeah, my wife calls them "cone masks". The shape is odd and a bit uncomfortable.

I haven't been in AZ that long to forget the cold! I'm actually freezing today and it's only like 42.

And further, I was wrong anyway -- I knew that window glass allows some UV light to come in, but it seems they block nearly 100% of the UV-C light -- I was curious about that so looked it up. UV-C is the only type of UV that kills germs in the air.

https://hps.org/publicinformation/ate/q12082.html#:~:text=UV-C is produced only,UV-C light is blocked.

Any day that gets above 32 F here (Minnesota) this time of year we’ll gladly take. It was double digits below zero in northern part of the state this morning.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options

Any day that gets above 32 F here (Minnesota) this time of year we’ll gladly take. It was double digits below zero in northern part of the state this morning.

Ah....memories....
  • lemurcat2
    Options
    But I did have to shovel my front sidewalk and front porch stairs 2 times on Tuesday, so exercise! (My lot/sidewalk is tiny compared to what many have to deal with, I know.)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    In Belgium any type of cloth mask is now prohibited in most hospitals and the disposable blue masks are generally encouraged. Apparently hospital staff encountered too many patients and visitors wearing cloth masks that were clearly not hygienic anymore, becoming a source of bacterial infection in themselves.
    Cloth masks should be washed every day with soap at a temp of at least 60°c. The reasoning behind is that this is a hurdle most people do not take and disposables will be replaced more often as they are more convenient. Normally the max time to use the disposables is 4 hours, but I do believe that many people wear them more than that, usually until one of the elastics break.

Thanks for this! For those of us who use F, 60°C = 140°F.

(snip useful infographic and some good comments, for reply length)

I'm almost never in public though - just at supermarkets, where there is 100% face covering wearing compliance (but a lesser amount of wearing CORRECTLY), and I go at times of day where I'm not within 6 feet of people for more than a few seconds.

This is probably weird, but as I mentioned I've been doing bandit-style cotton scarf over disposable blue mask. I've actually *boiled* the cotton scarves on the stove - they hold up well.

(Maybe this sounds freaky compulsive, so I'll add for context that my hot water heater only goes to 120F, and my clothes-dryer died awhile back mid-pandemic and I don't want deliverers/installers in my house until I can at least air the place out (it's 24F, -4C here at 3:47PM today), so I'm air drying stuff I wash for the time being.) Boiling elastic (and maybe synthetic fiber fabric) would be a bad idea, but it can work on all-cotton.

I KNEW I'd be getting the temp of my water at some point and you've just confirmed it ;)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,071 Member
    Options
    Antiopelle wrote: »
    In Belgium any type of cloth mask is now prohibited in most hospitals and the disposable blue masks are generally encouraged. Apparently hospital staff encountered too many patients and visitors wearing cloth masks that were clearly not hygienic anymore, becoming a source of bacterial infection in themselves.
    Cloth masks should be washed every day with soap at a temp of at least 60°c. The reasoning behind is that this is a hurdle most people do not take and disposables will be replaced more often as they are more convenient. Normally the max time to use the disposables is 4 hours, but I do believe that many people wear them more than that, usually until one of the elastics break.

Thanks for this! For those of us who use F, 60°C = 140°F.

(snip useful infographic and some good comments, for reply length)

I'm almost never in public though - just at supermarkets, where there is 100% face covering wearing compliance (but a lesser amount of wearing CORRECTLY), and I go at times of day where I'm not within 6 feet of people for more than a few seconds.

This is probably weird, but as I mentioned I've been doing bandit-style cotton scarf over disposable blue mask. I've actually *boiled* the cotton scarves on the stove - they hold up well.

(Maybe this sounds freaky compulsive, so I'll add for context that my hot water heater only goes to 120F, and my clothes-dryer died awhile back mid-pandemic and I don't want deliverers/installers in my house until I can at least air the place out (it's 24F, -4C here at 3:47PM today), so I'm air drying stuff I wash for the time being.) Boiling elastic (and maybe synthetic fiber fabric) would be a bad idea, but it can work on all-cotton.

I KNEW I'd be getting the temp of my water at some point and you've just confirmed it ;)

Huh? In my case, it's on a digital readout right on the front of the (tankless) heater. IMU, they set it at 120F for people without a dishwasher, higher (with a different electronic controller, I think) if there is a dishwasher.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    With respect to N95 masks, here is what I read today:

"...the CDC isn't currently recommending N95 masks for the general public, partly due to a shortage of the masks for health care workers, and also due to concerns that people will tolerate the masks, which can hinder breathing.
    "I worry that if we suggest or require that people wear N95's they won't wear them all the time," Dr. Rochelle Walensky, the new head of the CDC told CNN's Anderson Cooper and Chief Medical Correspondent Dr. Sanjay Gupta in a town hall Wednesday.
    "They're very hard to breathe in when you wear them properly," Walensky said. "They're very hard to tolerate when you wear them for long periods of time."

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/28/health/double-masks-covid-19-wellness-trnd/index.html]\

I had a blood drawn today so I wore a surgical mask and a cloth one on top of it. I had difficult breathing properly and I developed a HA for few hours, so I am glad that the process was short and fast, and that I don't go inside crowded places very often. I do have a N95 mask but I found them very uncomfortable to wear and painful on my face.

I think there's very few people outside of the medical field who have access to N95 masks.
    The discussion here has been about the KN95 masks, which are not the same, and more readily available to the general public.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,862 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    My large US company announced we are extending WFH for those that can from April 1 to July 6 for the earliest return to office date.

My SIL had been given a July 1st date many months ago. It might have even been last summer. I should ask DD and DS if their companies had stated any dates recently.