Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been on for a while and am just catching up. Feel like I missed the fun stuff. 🤪
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    smithker75 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    Sorry i didn't realise fortnight was not a standard term used in all English speaking countries.

Fortnight is a perfectly ordinary word, and I was surprised there was someone who didn't know what it meant.

I'm in the midwestern US and have been around for a while. I've heard it in literature, probably on TV, movie, etc. but not in regular conversation.

Ditto, same region. In a lot of contexts here, if someone native here used it, it would usually be seen as kind of posturing, I think. People with exposure to literature, British TV shows, and that sort of thing are likely to have heard it, most probably know what it means, but IMO quite a few people wouldn't know exactly how long a time period it was if you asked them. It's not common vernacular.

Same region, and while I would normally expect someone to know what it meant from books or other media, it would definitely code as not usual US English, IME. (Which doesn't mean paperpudding should avoid it, I like hearing people's region-specific English and asking if I am not familiar with something!)

It's an everyday term here in Australia. Just one more reason this thread has been an invaluable learning resource!

yes fascinating isn't it.

Here in Australia one would never think saying fortnight made one have literary pretensions B)

I think because in the US it's associated with Shakespeare and the theater, where it's most common, and therefore using it in regular speech is considered "theatrical".
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    My dh might have had COVID arm with the first. About a week later he was getting wierd, itchy rashes. Still got the second. Our questions only asked about other immunizations within a 2 week time. Good thing, because we both had gotten our second shingles shot about 25 days before, so went ahead & got the COVID one when offered. Our dd felt pretty bad yesterday after getting her second on Thursday. Feels a lot better today, other than sore arm.

I didn’t associate the itch/redness with the vaccine. It was a few inches away from the injection site and showed up a few days after I got the shot. I figured I got but by something when I was gardening (again). Then I read about. 🤯
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I currently live in TN, but am moving to TX starting tomorrow (start new job there on 3/22). A week ago, I became eligible for the vaccine in TN (because of type 1 diabetes) and decided to go ahead and get the first shot (no J&J available here yet). I was a bit worried about figuring out the 2nd dose in TX, but they are giving Moderna here now and that has 80% effectiveness from the 1st shot. So was worth getting already rather than wait.

After a lot of effort, I was able to schedule the 2nd vaccine for next month in TX. The CVS pharmacies, among others, are giving it, which requires insurance (they must charge an administration fee?). I am just hoping I get my new insurance card before Apr. 7. There were 3 CVS stores in the entire state that had vaccines available to schedule for 2nd doses. Fortunately, one of them was only 30 min. away.

Good deal. If you have to pay up front any insurance I've heard of will let you send in a receipt for reimbursement.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited March 2021
    Options
    SModa61 wrote: »
    Hey all, I've been MIA for a bit. I have managed to keep health aspect of MFP somewhat in control but that's about it.

Anyhow I am here hoping to get insights. If I recall correctly, there are at least two Italian members in this chat thread. I am going to recount my MIL's comments and hoping to get perspective from those living in Italy.

According to MIL, she called her more distant family who live in a very small town in the Abruzzo region. What has been said is that it is "very bad" over there. They are under strict lockdown with police patrolling the streets. They cannot walk up the street to check on relatives, and to go to the grocery store one must product some sort of card. She also states that a local nursing home was given the vaccine and "43 still got sick", and that 79 town residents who received the vaccine also contracted COVID.

Of course I can think of scenarios where one could receive the vaccine and still get sick, but MIL seems to know nothing else and the overall implication was that the vaccine that italy got "does not work".

Anyone have insights to share? I would appreciate knowing more about the Italy situation so I can share that information with my MIL.

I know Italy’s vaccine rate is less than half that of the US currently, and that they were using Astra Zeneca which isn’t approved here, but stopped after some possibly connected heart attacks following the vaccine.

From what I can determine no one knows why they are having a surge, but they are, along with other countries in Europe. The leading theory is that it’s the new variants which are escaping the vaccine. I haven’t read whether the death rate is going up or just the infection rate.

Easter is a big deal in Italy and the lockdown is partly to prevent an Easter-related surge.