Guys/Girls: What is your real opinion on..

Options

Replies

• MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

😂I honestly don’t think he thought anything at all. I think the lady did. And I was curious what other peoples opinions were on it.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »

😂I honestly don’t think he thought anything at all. I think the lady did. And I was curious what other peoples opinions were on it.

I think other things will make it appear a flirt, like telling them they look like they workout while making eye contact and squeezing his muscle. 😆

Did you look into his eyes and squeeze his muscle Mel? 😜
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I think other things will make it appear a flirt, like telling them they look like they workout while making eye contact and squeezing his muscle. 😆

clxaptp0n75m.gif
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Question: If someone tells someone “it looks like you workout” would you take that as just a regular compliment or something more? Does it make a difference depending on where it’s said? Like....gym vs. work vs. grocery store?
    When I was at my most physically active I would get that comment from people I didn't see frequently and, to my rude awakening, it made me feel resentment toward myself.

I used to go to the gym everyday, no life event could keep me out, and it wasn't uncommon for me to spend 3 hours there because it was a time in my life where I believed that if I looked good, absolute happiness and inner peace would follow.

So when someone at the water cooler or bbq grill would casually mention that I look like I workout, I would think "Well *kitten* I would hope so. I only spend all of my free time there (gym). While you are probably busy raising a family, moving up the corporate ladder, or going dancing with your friends- I'm at the gym trying to fill a void in my life. Do you know how embarrassing it feels to have 3 gym memberships because you don't want to be too well-known at a particular one and make the employees notice you spend every Saturday night there? My extremist tendencies are going to send me to a shrink one day, y'know. But enough about me, how's your mother doing!?"

😅 That's how the old me would've broken it down later that night in bed. But in real time I'd say "Hey thanks! I try!" and keep it moving. That's been the difference between my 20's and 30's. 🤙

• MelG7777
    Options
    Question: If someone tells someone “it looks like you workout” would you take that as just a regular compliment or something more? Does it make a difference depending on where it’s said? Like....gym vs. work vs. grocery store?
    When I was at my most physically active I would get that comment from people I didn't see frequently and, to my rude awakening, it made me feel resentment toward myself.

I used to go to the gym everyday, no life event could keep me out, and it wasn't uncommon for me to spend 3 hours there because it was a time in my life where I believed that if I looked good, absolute happiness and inner peace would follow.

So when someone at the water cooler or bbq grill would casually mention that I look like I workout, I would think "Well *kitten* I would hope so. I only spend all of my free time there (gym). While you are probably busy raising a family, moving up the corporate ladder, or going dancing with your friends- I'm at the gym trying to fill a void in my life. Do you know how embarrassing it feels to have 3 gym memberships because you don't want to be too well-known at a particular one and make the employees notice you spend every Saturday night there? My extremist tendencies are going to send me to a shrink one day, y'know. But enough about me, how's your mother doing!?"

😅 That's how the old me would've broken it down later that night in bed. But in real time I'd say "Hey thanks! I try!" and keep it moving. That's been the difference between my 20's and 30's. 🤙

That’s interesting person. Would you have felt that in the context above?

Walking out of the gym as a new person....
    Small talk....I ask you “what do you normally do?” You say “I haven’t worked out in years”. I say “oh, you look like you work out” (side note....he told me he was a carpenter so I’m sure he actually did work hard physically.)
    Kill me now if he ever stumbles upon this. 🙈
  • MelG7777
    Options

😂😂I promise no.
  • PaperDoll_
    PaperDoll_ Posts: 32,845 Member
    Options

😂😂I promise no.

Obviously you did it wrong then. 🤷‍♀️
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options

One of my big fitness goals is to look like someone who works out (since I don't look the part, even though I work out) so that would be an awesome compliment.

The closest I ever got was when a coworker walked into the workroom just as I was reaching across the photocopier for something and gasped. "Holy *kitten*, look at your arm!" She's normally kind of catty so it was a particularly good compliment from her.

My flirt detector was never installed so I'd never see it as "something more". It's quite possible I have infuriated many men over the years by being dumb as a stump in that regard.
  • MelG7777
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »

One of my big fitness goals is to look like someone who works out (since I don't look the part, even though I work out) so that would be an awesome compliment.

The closest I ever got was when a coworker walked into the workroom just as I was reaching across the photocopier for something and gasped. "Holy *kitten*, look at your arm!" She's normally kind of catty so it was a particularly good compliment from her.

My flirt detector was never installed so I'd never see it as "something more". It's quite possible I have infuriated many men over the years by being dumb as a stump in that regard.

Me too! I don’t look like someone who works out yet even though I do but I’d be stoked. And I also assume people are being nice and nothing more. It would have to be pretty blatant for me to think anything.
  • Revolu7
    Revolu7 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

Context: It was a few months ago but someone I told about it just reminded me of this. A new guy was coming to the gym. If I get the opportunity I try to say something to new people. On the way out we were like “crazy workout hey?” And I asked him what he did normally for exercise. He said he hadn’t worked out in forever and I said “oh really? You look like you work out.” and the lady walking by us kind of laughed and looked at me like “really?”🤷🏻‍♀️ He didn’t seem weirded out by it.

Plot Twist:
    This is just a funny addition. Don’t take this into consideration for your answer. He lives like 2 blocks from me I found out because I basically followed him home.😂 I don’t remember if it was the same day or the next day but I was like “holy *kitten* is that the monster truck I always see near my house? And now I’m following him?” We would talk a little on the way out sometimes so I made sure to tell him why it might look like I was following him.🙈 It must have been a 30 day trial cuz I haven’t seen him in a long time. Or he switched times because of some creepy lady.

If someone tells me i look like i workout, they are either hitting on me or looking to strike up a conversation for some reason. Its obvious that i workout, to say that would really be like saying, man it looks like you breathe like everyday. Lol.....it sounds conceited but its also kinda true. 😉
  • MelG7777
    Options
    Revolu7 wrote: »

Context: It was a few months ago but someone I told about it just reminded me of this. A new guy was coming to the gym. If I get the opportunity I try to say something to new people. On the way out we were like “crazy workout hey?” And I asked him what he did normally for exercise. He said he hadn’t worked out in forever and I said “oh really? You look like you work out.” and the lady walking by us kind of laughed and looked at me like “really?”🤷🏻‍♀️ He didn’t seem weirded out by it.

Plot Twist:
    This is just a funny addition. Don’t take this into consideration for your answer. He lives like 2 blocks from me I found out because I basically followed him home.😂 I don’t remember if it was the same day or the next day but I was like “holy *kitten* is that the monster truck I always see near my house? And now I’m following him?” We would talk a little on the way out sometimes so I made sure to tell him why it might look like I was following him.🙈 It must have been a 30 day trial cuz I haven’t seen him in a long time. Or he switched times because of some creepy lady.

If someone tells me i look like i workout, they are either hitting on me or looking to strike up a conversation for some reason. Its obvious that i workout, to say that would really be like saying, man it looks like you breathe like everyday. Lol.....it sounds conceited but its also kinda true. 😉

Ok. That’s fair. Like if someone tells me at a grocery store I shop really well I’d be like.....duh, of course I do.

But something to the equivalent above. I think it would have to be something we just completed together to make it a similar situation, no? And I compliment you and you’re like “I haven’t done that in a long time” ......like say you join my basketball team and I compliment you after our game and say “what team did you play on before this?” And you’re like “I haven’t played in years” and I say “really? You look like you play”
    You’d still think that?
  • Revolu7
    Options

Plot Twist:

Ok. That’s fair. Like if someone tells me at a grocery store I shop really well I’d be like.....duh, of course I do.

But something to the equivalent above. I think it would have to be something we just completed together to make it a similar situation, no? And I compliment you and you’re like “I haven’t done that in a long time” ......like say you join my basketball team and I compliment you after our game and say “what team did you play on before this?” And you’re like “I haven’t played in years” and I say “really? You look like you play”
    You’d still think that?

Not the same i dont think. If Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime was walking with you out of the gym, would you think to tell him he looks like he works out? I would hope not.....unless of course yuou wanted to find a way to talk to him. What he says after that is irrelevant.....stating the obvious is just a way to start a conversation. Sure is cold today huh? Ummm....yeah, its 0°.......wanna jump under the covers in my bed to keep warm? ......you see, that small obvious talk works all the time lol
  • PlentyofProtein00
    PlentyofProtein00 Posts: 3,626 Member
    Options

Plot Twist:

You’d still think that?

Not the same i dont think. If Arnold Schwarzenegger in his prime was walking with you out of the gym, would you think to tell him he looks like he works out? I would hope not.....unless of course yuou wanted to find a way to talk to him. What he says after that is irrelevant.....stating the obvious is just a way to start a conversation. Sure is cold today huh? Ummm....yeah, its 0°.......wanna jump under the covers in my bed to keep warm? ......you see, that small obvious talk works all the time lol

I think stating you haven't worked out or haven't played in years, a natural response would be oh, you look like you work out...shes not just out right stating the obvious...shes surprised because he stated he DOESNT workout

• Revolu7
    edited January 2021
    Options

Plot Twist:

You’d still think that?

I think stating you haven't worked out or haven't played in years, a natural response would be oh, you look like you work out...shes not just out right stating the obvious...shes surprised because he stated he DOESNT workout

Missed my point. Him saying he hadnt worked out in a while is a response.....asking someone what they do for a workout is the initiation of that response. After you initiate the rest is irrelevant, you succeeded in starting a conversation. His response does not exist without initiation. Now it doesnt have to mean she or anybody is hitting on them.
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options

Plot Twist:

You’d still think that?

Missed my point. Him saying he hadnt worked out in a while is a response.....asking someone what they do for a workout is the initiation of that response. After you initiate the rest is irrelevant, you succeeded in starting a conversation. His response does not exist without initiation. Now it doesnt have to mean she or anybody is hitting on them.

I'm confused...whats your point?
  • MelG7777
    Options
    My takeaway.....just don’t compliment people in that way. I don’t want to give people the wrong idea. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s not necessary to say anything really I suppose.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I lost all concentration at "wanna jump under the covers in my bed to keep warm?" My mind is basically on par with Benny Hill's (but in reverse...)

n92hrlvhawmm.gif
  • MelG7777
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    I lost all concentration at "wanna jump under the covers in my bed to keep warm?" My mind is basically on par with Benny Hill's (but in reverse...)

n92hrlvhawmm.gif

Lol, wow.
  • Revolu7
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »

n92hrlvhawmm.gif

You Canadians, always looking for a decent heat source 😁
  • PlentyofProtein00
    Options
    My takeaway.....just don’t compliment people in that way. I don’t want to give people the wrong idea. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s not necessary to say anything really I suppose.

I was just legitimately confused...😅

I will no longer speak as I could be flirting, I could be insulting. I have no idea anymore😬