Stocking up on what??

Options

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I have always been a bit of a hoarder. I've stocked up on frozen shrimp and fish in case I can't get out and about. And, I have always had huge supplies of paper and plastic product from buying in bulk. I have hundreds of freezer ziplocks and thousands of bags. And, dozens of 32oz spray cleaners. I just bought a case of hand sanitizer which I don't need and it smells faintly of rum due to the fact that a craft distillery here converted to sanitizer from liquor. I have 10 cases of cat food for my muse, the Siamese, and maybe 24 cans of my favorite canned soup. I have 200 Amazon orders in the last 6 months. And, I am sure this is more info than anyone wants to know.

Me too but I use a vacuum sealer to preserve food in the freezer.

Just bought some more meat and while policing the freezer found some meat in their from 4-5 yrs ago, while is just FINE than-you FoodSaver. :)

I also have dozens of cans of soup, veggies, fruit, sardines & mackerel on hand. Also just ordered & received 10#@ of popcorn kernals and hummus mix.

Everything that I "hoard" I eat or use. So, eventually, I'll consume it even if it rakes 5 yrs or more.

It helps that I live in a 5bdrm house, w/lots of available storage space.

LOL!!!

I bought a vacuum sealer from Amazon rated "Amazon's Choice" but it did not work well for me so I gave it to my son. I buy large (meat and fish) and eat what I can fresh and freeze the rest so I'd be interested in which Food Saver you find best. I have a few cases of military MRE's and really love a couple of the entrees. But, with the Covind thing they have doubled and even tripled in price.

What is a MRE? Why was the vac sealer not good? Ours works great. Had it forever. Why do people think every one understands words shortened to letters?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    9j5h5zj25jxh.jpeg
    wjbc9pbcv7q5.jpeg
    pqvbuo6u6776.jpeg
    ryx0lrys7zts.jpeg
    bn7dv0v6njds.jpeg

MRE is military rations for on the go. Heat in hot water 💦 some are with a special cooker in it. Add water bam gone coffee stuff like that even freeze dried potatoes with meat in some to brownies. Lots of choices in flavors to types. Keeps a very long time
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I have always been a bit of a hoarder. I've stocked up on frozen shrimp and fish in case I can't get out and about. And, I have always had huge supplies of paper and plastic product from buying in bulk. I have hundreds of freezer ziplocks and thousands of bags. And, dozens of 32oz spray cleaners. I just bought a case of hand sanitizer which I don't need and it smells faintly of rum due to the fact that a craft distillery here converted to sanitizer from liquor. I have 10 cases of cat food for my muse, the Siamese, and maybe 24 cans of my favorite canned soup. I have 200 Amazon orders in the last 6 months. And, I am sure this is more info than anyone wants to know.

Me too but I use a vacuum sealer to preserve food in the freezer.

Just bought some more meat and while policing the freezer found some meat in their from 4-5 yrs ago, while is just FINE than-you FoodSaver. :)

I also have dozens of cans of soup, veggies, fruit, sardines & mackerel on hand. Also just ordered & received 10#@ of popcorn kernals and hummus mix.

Everything that I "hoard" I eat or use. So, eventually, I'll consume it even if it rakes 5 yrs or more.

It helps that I live in a 5bdrm house, w/lots of available storage space.

LOL!!!

I bought a vacuum sealer from Amazon rated "Amazon's Choice" but it did not work well for me so I gave it to my son. I buy large (meat and fish) and eat what I can fresh and freeze the rest so I'd be interested in which Food Saver you find best. I have a few cases of military MRE's and really love a couple of the entrees. But, with the Covind thing they have doubled and even tripled in price.

What is a MRE? Why was the vac sealer not good? Ours works great. Had it forever. Why do people think every one understands words shortened to letters?

I understand your frustration with the abbreviation thing! I guess people get so used to using them within a context that’s familiar to them (lifestyle, culture, work related etc) that they forget that the other 99% of the world are clueless!

From context I read MRE to mean ‘Military Rations E......’ - turns out it means ‘Meals, Ready to Eat’ 🤷‍♀️

Who knew...! 😂
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    mockchoc wrote: »

Well, it always amazes me what people don't know. An MRE is words shortened to letters. It is the name of a thing with acronym origins. Like the IRS, or the USA. If you type MRE into a google search box, you get 24,000,000 pages linked most all of which identify exactly what a MRE is.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    9j5h5zj25jxh.jpeg
    wjbc9pbcv7q5.jpeg
    pqvbuo6u6776.jpeg
    ryx0lrys7zts.jpeg
    bn7dv0v6njds.jpeg

MRE is military rations for on the go. Heat in hot water 💦 some are with a special cooker in it. Add water bam gone coffee stuff like that even freeze dried potatoes with meat in some to brownies. Lots of choices in flavors to types. Keeps a very long time

Well, they're "ready to eat," so technically they don't have to be heated at all. But I imagine a lot of them taste better heated. And I'm pretty sure that dehydrated stuff you need to add water to before eating is not a true MRE.
  • wilson10102018
    Options

Well, they're "ready to eat," so technically they don't have to be heated at all. But I imagine a lot of them taste better heated. And I'm pretty sure that dehydrated stuff you need to add water to before eating is not a true MRE.

You are exactly right. The only dehydrated product in an MRE is the drink mix. They are real food and nothing "needs" to be heated. I find a little water in a skillet 1/4" with a lid will heat the heated items to serving temperature in about 5 minutes. Each MRE is self contained and includes drink, carbs, deserts and entrees. But, they are intended to sustain a soldier in the battlefield so they are calorie dense. Most of those calories are intentionally supplied with the carbs (wheat bread 320 calories, for example), and deserts, so entrees are rarely over 320 calories. I think the 2020 MRE tomato tortellini is better than the Italian restaurant in my neighborhood. Not all entrees are wonderful, but the whole meal usually costs about $7 each shipped. With Covid 19 that has ballooned to $15+.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    9j5h5zj25jxh.jpeg
    wjbc9pbcv7q5.jpeg
    pqvbuo6u6776.jpeg
    ryx0lrys7zts.jpeg
    bn7dv0v6njds.jpeg

*Ahem....* when I worked in Washington DC at the Natural History museum and Air and Space museum , I would occasionally get MRE dehydrated Napolian Ice cream block......sooo good! Melts in your mouth 😋😋😋😋
  • wilson10102018
    Options
    Freeze dried ice cream is very interesting. I tried some once. As for inclusion in a military MRE, I have had every menu item from the 2 (A&B Case) 12 format menus offered for the past 20 years and I don't recall any of them including the ice cream product. You can buy it as a camping item on Amazon.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    9j5h5zj25jxh.jpeg
    wjbc9pbcv7q5.jpeg
    pqvbuo6u6776.jpeg
    ryx0lrys7zts.jpeg
    bn7dv0v6njds.jpeg

*Ahem....* when I worked in Washington DC at the Natural History museum and Air and Space museum , I would occasionally get MRE dehydrated Napolian Ice cream block......sooo good! Melts in your mouth 😋😋😋😋

Was this being sold in the cafeteria (I almost said ice cream shoppe but I think that's in American History), or were you pinching the dehydrated ice cream from the curated collection? :smile:
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have added more goats, turkeys, and sheep to our farm. We also doubled the size of our garden and started a small garden for any of our neighbors that might need anything. Of course also stockpiled ammo.
  • gearhead426hemi
    edited July 2020
    Options

@just_Tomek Better to have and not need then to need and not have. The security and well being for my family falls on my shoulders so I have to be prepared for any situation. With all the craziness going on in the world right now I hope everyone is planning for worst case scenarios.
  • BarbaraHelen2013
    BarbaraHelen2013 Posts: 1,940 Member
    Options
    And I’m even more glad to have 3,000 miles of deep, cold water separating me from them! 😉
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options

@just_Tomek Better to have and not need then to need and not have. The security and well being for my family falls on my shoulders so I have to be prepared for any situation. With all the craziness going on in the world right now I hope everyone is planning for worst case scenarios.

well, no - not if your having things you don't need means other people go without.

• VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    9j5h5zj25jxh.jpeg
    wjbc9pbcv7q5.jpeg
    pqvbuo6u6776.jpeg
    ryx0lrys7zts.jpeg
    bn7dv0v6njds.jpeg

Was this being sold in the cafeteria (I almost said ice cream shoppe but I think that's in American History), or were you pinching the dehydrated ice cream from the curated collection? :smile:

It was at the gift shop...lol sporting good stores may have it too
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options

I agree with some of what you said. I hate guns and refuse to have them in my house. BUT it'd not be a good situation to need 1 and say damn, shoulda bought that while I was at Walmart. :/ And you're so right, the world is going a little bit crazy ATM. :( I keep thinking(hoping!!) to see some change but maybe it's the media spouting off all the bad and little of the good news. :( I *know* in my heart, there are a LOT of good people but those aren't the ones that scare me.

Anyways.......
    I think I'll be buying a little extra again, every week, just so we're not stuck using corn cobs in the bathroom. :) I didn't stockpile when this all started and I won't now either, but I still cannot find certain cleaners in certain stores. And other aisles are still sparse too which I don't understand because you'd think companies would've caught up by now??
  • gearhead426hemi
    Options

well, no - not if your having things you don't need means other people go without.

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. People who only consume and rely on others to supply everything for them don't get to complain when the shelves are empty.
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

I agree with some of what you said. I hate guns and refuse to have them in my house. BUT it'd not be a good situation to need 1 and say damn, shoulda bought that while I was at Walmart. :/ And you're so right, the world is going a little bit crazy ATM. :( I keep thinking(hoping!!) to see some change but maybe it's the media spouting off all the bad and little of the good news. :( I *know* in my heart, there are a LOT of good people but those aren't the ones that scare me.

Anyways.......
    I think I'll be buying a little extra again, every week, just so we're not stuck using corn cobs in the bathroom. :) I didn't stockpile when this all started and I won't now either, but I still cannot find certain cleaners in certain stores. And other aisles are still sparse too which I don't understand because you'd think companies would've caught up by now??

I know that a lot of people may not agree with firearms and that is definitely their right and I support that 100%. Everyone has to deal with protection and preparation in whatever way fits their needs and beliefs. I hope that a lot of people will learn from this situation and realize that it is always better to be prepared for any situation so that when everyone else is scrambling you can sit back and relax.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part. People who only consume and rely on others to supply everything for them don't get to complain when the shelves are empty.

This is basically all of us in urban areas, by the way. I work in supply chain and distribution, which helps gets food and essential supplies to everyone across the country, but I deserve empty shelves because I'm not a farmer?

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,987 Member
    Options
    Yes, most people rely on others to supply everything for them - unless they are involved in primary production.

I don't see how that equates to not having a right to complain about hoaders and over buyers creating shortages for others.
  • gearhead426hemi
    Options

This is basically all of us in urban areas, by the way. I work in supply chain and distribution, which helps gets food and essential supplies to everyone across the country, but I deserve empty shelves because I'm not a farmer?

Everyone is always making excuses instead of just getting it done. I have a friend who lives in a 800 square foot apartment in the heart of Denver Colorado and he grows a impressive garden on his balcony and in a small indoor greenhouse. Another friend of mine lives in Montana and only has a typical urban small back yard and his garden is larger than mine. He is vegan and grows 90% of his food. People spend more time making excuses and pointing out what they don't have then making due with what they do have and just get it done.

• gearhead426hemi
    Options
    Here is proof it can be done even in a urban setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbHwAfHQA9M