How Has the Coronavirus Affected You?

Options

Replies

• nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,089 Member
    Options
    School is closed...college is closed...gym is closed...church is closed...restaurants are closed...

Basically everybody I know is staying home...except me. I still get the delightful 75 minute commute each day for work.

But at least I can still rely upon a paycheck being uninterrupted. Now, if only the stores still had some toilet paper to spend all that money on...
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    my apartment complex just announced they're no longer accepting packages in the office

the way it normally works is that the mailman uses the larger package mailboxes to leave bigger items- those are located right beside the regular mailboxes. but they're limited in number. so if they're already full, then the mailman brings it inside and leaves it in the office. then you can go by whenever during business hours and pick it up from the staff.

now they're not accepting them anymore, and keeping the doors closed and its appointment only to even talk to the employees.

im guessing the mailman will just start leaving you a note that you have a package to pick up at the local post office instead, assuming the large package boxes are full of course.

so, basically their idea is, in order to cut down on the spread of the virus, they're limiting interactions located where we live, and instead will start funneling people to the local post office, where more people will end up waiting in line for longer periods of time now.

somehow, just somehow, i don't think that's going to be very effective.
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i posted my symptoms in this thread and got some disagrees. I’m still perplexed by that 😑

My kids and I now have all been coughing for 24 hours. Fever low but hovering around 100. Most pronounced symptom for me is chest heaviness but I honestly don’t know how much of that is just from anxiety. We can’t be tested as there is a shortage of test kits in my state and they are only testing people with known contact with the virus or who have traveled in the past 2 weeks. All that tells me is that the community spread numbers are severely underreported.

No clue if its *the* virus, but just the same.. we are housebound until symptoms resolve.

mail me chocolateStay safe out there

Ugh! My heart goes out to you girl....I love your wit and humor so much and although we don't really know each other this may sound wierd but I'm glad your kids have you and know even though you feel like *kitten*...which sucks so bad....I know you'll get through this because your strong....so sending positive vibes and if i had any chocolate (left 🤐) I would seriously send you some too chica! 🤗 all my best hun! 💗
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i posted my symptoms in this thread and got some disagrees. I’m still perplexed by that 😑

My kids and I now have all been coughing for 24 hours. Fever low but hovering around 100. Most pronounced symptom for me is chest heaviness but I honestly don’t know how much of that is just from anxiety. We can’t be tested as there is a shortage of test kits in my state and they are only testing people with known contact with the virus or who have traveled in the past 2 weeks. All that tells me is that the community spread numbers are severely underreported.

No clue if its *the* virus, but just the same.. we are housebound until symptoms resolve.

mail me chocolateStay safe out there

Really hope you start feeling better soon. Take care of yourself.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My hematologist this morning gave me a stern lecture about why I should be isolating more than I am. Quite honestly, I had not thought much about my being in a higher risk category. I was too busy trying to take care of everything else. Oops.

So, I will start working from home, doing grocery delivery or pick up, etc., etc. as much as possible. I do not need to be getting sick.
  • cdubks88
    cdubks88 Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I'm so pissed that I have kids calling here to invite my daughter over. I really don't think some people understand what social distancing is. I also live in a small town and I've seen people that I know going out even after they got back from vacation. It's so frustrating how some people don't seem to care because they don't feel like they're at risk and it's just a 'cold' for them. Selfishness at it's finest.

Sorry that's happening, T. 😞
  • that_night_in_paris
    that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    The Governor of NY made it mandatory that all businesses cut %50 of their daily workforce or have 50% work from home. Alot of people are now laid off. My company is splitting us I to 3 groups 8-430 , 430-1230am, 1230am-8am inorder to not to lay us off

How can a governor legally do that ?

There's a good chance that there will be more personal destruction (suicide, crime, spousal abuse) as a result of economic collapse than the virus itself.
    I heard that guy (gov cuomo) speak the other day and he sounded like an extra from the sopranos. Like one of those guys that got killed off in season 2.

"I'm a Queens boy and we are tough blah blah"

Yeah guy , this is a virus, not a hit on the Genovese family
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    The Governor of NY made it mandatory that all businesses cut %50 of their daily workforce or have 50% work from home. Alot of people are now laid off. My company is splitting us I to 3 groups 8-430 , 430-1230am, 1230am-8am inorder to not to lay us off

There's a good chance that there will be more personal destruction (suicide, crime, spousal abuse) as a result of economic collapse than the virus itself.

well there's that saying about how "there are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy" so yeah i tend to agree

personally i think things will stay okay until after the next paycheck hits towards the end of the month, then queue more panic buying; and then the lack of paychecks are gonna start adding up for some folks.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
    Options
    iMago wrote: »

well there's that saying about how "there are only nine meals between mankind and anarchy" so yeah i tend to agree

personally i think things will stay okay until after the next paycheck hits towards the end of the month, then queue more panic buying; and then the lack of paychecks are gonna start adding up for some folks.

I haven’t verified this so don’t come for me. My accountant asked me yesterday “how many people do you think were unemployed during the Great Depression? I said “IDK maybe 50%”. Her answer was

20%. I was surprised. That was eye opening to me.

Apparently I didn’t listen well in school but I didn’t know that number could cause the trouble it did. Which I guess makes sense but.....hadn’t thought about it in those numbers.
  • MelG7777
    MelG7777 Posts: 14,031 Member
    Options
    MelG7777 wrote: »
    iMago wrote: »

I haven’t verified this so don’t come for me. My accountant asked me yesterday “how many people do you think were unemployed during the Great Depression? I said “IDK maybe 50%”. Her answer was

20%. I was surprised. That was eye opening to me.

Apparently I didn’t listen well in school but I didn’t know that number could cause the trouble it did. Which I guess makes sense but.....hadn’t thought about it in those numbers.

I believe that the height of the Great Depression was 1933 with a national unemployment rate of 24.9%.

Keep in mind the type of employment there was at that time and the lack of any kind of government safety net.

That depression made a life long impact on a lot of people.

My grandfather would tell me: "Take very good care of your possessions, they could be the last ones you ever have." Paranoid? maybe, but to be fair, I didn't have his life experiences (Thank God.).

Tru dat....I know it’s comparing apples to oranges....but it was still enlightening to me.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

It's about health of the population. In certain situations, Gov't has overriding authority. Be thankful you don't live in the Bay Area of California.