How Has the Coronavirus Affected You?

Options

Replies

• Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    The Governor of NY made it mandatory that all businesses cut %50 of their daily workforce or have 50% work from home. Alot of people are now laid off. My company is splitting us I to 3 groups 8-430 , 430-1230am, 1230am-8am inorder to not to lay us off

How can a governor legally do that ?

There's a good chance that there will be more personal destruction (suicide, crime, spousal abuse) as a result of economic collapse than the virus itself.

It's about health of the population. In certain situations, Gov't has overriding authority. Be thankful you don't live in the Bay Area of California.

Government might have an authority, but to what ends ?

As some point, there is going to be pushback, if not retaliation, by the masses.

The Bay Area of California? Yeah, not my jam.
    Always remember, 'The larger the government / The smaller the citizen.'
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Joeyd727 wrote: »
    The Governor of NY made it mandatory that all businesses cut %50 of their daily workforce or have 50% work from home. Alot of people are now laid off. My company is splitting us I to 3 groups 8-430 , 430-1230am, 1230am-8am inorder to not to lay us off

How can a governor legally do that ?

There's a good chance that there will be more personal destruction (suicide, crime, spousal abuse) as a result of economic collapse than the virus itself.

It's about health of the population. In certain situations, Gov't has overriding authority. Be thankful you don't live in the Bay Area of California.

Government might have an authority, but to what ends ?

As some point, there is going to be pushback, if not retaliation, by the masses.

The Bay Area of California? Yeah, not my jam.
    Always remember, 'The larger the government / The smaller the citizen.'

I'm concerned as well about how far the shutdown orders will go. But, by the same token, because of how stupid and ignorant people can be something needs to be done. Not heavy handed such as Bay Area did.

But, if a two week interruption can help reduce the spread of this thing, I think it's something we all should get behind.
  • TarynF226
    TarynF226 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm a cashier so it kinda sucks right now with people's buying habits. Aside from the work implications... I stress eat. After hitting my calorie goal I still found myself eating an entire chocolate bar this evening and craving something else to munch on. I decided to eat half a container of mints to keep me occupied but low calorie😂

Also I uh might be a bit more prone to anxiety than I realised before now. I get social anxiety from dealing with lots of people or having to do group stuff but now going to a store when I don't have work shifts takes me like 15min just to psych myself up to deal with people. (Work is work on that front I plaster on that customer service smile and fake it anyway when I go in🤷‍♀️)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i posted my symptoms in this thread and got some disagrees. I’m still perplexed by that 😑

My kids and I now have all been coughing for 24 hours. Fever low but hovering around 100. Most pronounced symptom for me is chest heaviness but I honestly don’t know how much of that is just from anxiety. We can’t be tested as there is a shortage of test kits in my state and they are only testing people with known contact with the virus or who have traveled in the past 2 weeks. All that tells me is that the community spread numbers are severely underreported.

No clue if its *the* virus, but just the same.. we are housebound until symptoms resolve.

mail me chocolateStay safe out there

For you
    xrbsqoq58p74.png
    2avp5aocid2f.png
    r1rcpxtkkegc.png
  • AquaMeow
    AquaMeow Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone if you do have symptoms make sure to take this. It helps build you immune system. 5i6ym26s405e.jpg
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    March 19: My husband's command can't make up its mind on whether to send folks home or keep them working. As far as I'm concerned, what he does is non-essential, but the military obviously doesn't see it that way. Thing is, they work in a small office space and there's definitely more than 10 of them in that building.

Add to that that there was a confirmed case on our base among military members and their family reported just yesterday and this decision of theirs seems haphazard at best.

I get that if anyone in my immediate family gets it, we will probably be okay (just miserable during the duration), but I still worry an awful lot about spreading it to folks who aren't as robust. We have a lot of retired folks that live on the base and come here to do their shopping if they live out in town. On top of that, this city is full of old folks (warmer weather all year round) and homeless people. What about them? Just concerned, is all.

Doing my part not to be out and about if I don't need to be around people, but man.. it's driving me batty. Might go for a walk later. There's a lot of trails and pathways that are isolated from others, so I should be okay.

My heart goes out for all of you that currently still work in the public sector, be it medical, retail, education or emergency response. Y'all have a tough job, even more so these days. :heart:
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Day 4 of working from home.
    My symptoms are better, but I am going stir crazy working from home. It will be at least until April 5th before we can get back to work as usual. Possibly even the end of April :anguished:

I'm about the most 'cocooning'/'anti-social' person I know. I spend most of my weekends chilling and working out at home without even leaving the door, but even I'm getting cabin fever already, after less than a week.

I'm thinking of taking a long walk/several walks in the nearby countryside this weekend, my BF will be shocked :lol:
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    March 19th Second update: Mississippi governor declared no school returns until after April 17th (if things get better and not worse), so kids are out school around here until then. No information yet on a curriculum we can teach at home or how (or if) this will affect their transition to the next grade.. or if they'll just have a late school year. So many unknowns, it's very frustrating for everyone.

People on base are freaking out about the news yesterday that someone on base contracted COVID-19 and had contact with numerous people through their line of work.. so yeah, there's that.

I guess I'll start looking at some home school curriculum and see what there is left to teach him this year to prepare him for third grade. Maybe throw in some science experiments for fun and order some more books off Amazon (while it's still up and running). We love to read, but libraries are, as expected, closed now.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options
    Washington state is at 66 Deaths as of yesterday.

Italy is now over 3,400 deaths for a country with a population of 60 million. :(

• TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Based on all I'm hearing, here & elsewhere, I'm thinking of giving shopping for fresh produce a pass tomorrow. I also hear that produce is mostly what's available at most stores, still...

Aside from a daily lemon or lime, I haven't had fruit in 1-wk & fruit's normally the bulk of my diet. I can hang on 2-wks, if that's still the suggested time we remain at home. Never eat canned food, but wish I had some canned peaches, at least.

Not really the frightened type, but I do have asthma... & no meds or health insurance... so, I guess I'll just be happy with citrus... I've got enough for another wk, so I'm lucky.
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    Options
    Based on all I'm hearing, here & elsewhere, I'm thinking of giving shopping for fresh produce a pass tomorrow. I also hear that produce is mostly what's available at most stores, still...

Aside from a daily lemon or lime, I haven't had fruit in 1-wk & fruit's normally the bulk of my diet. I can hang on 2-wks, if that's still the suggested time we remain at home. Never eat canned food, but wish I had some canned peaches, at least.

Not really the frightened type, but I do have asthma... & no meds or health insurance... so, I guess I'll just be happy with citrus... I've got enough for another wk, so I'm lucky.

I think if you go early in the day before the large droves of people are out you'll be fine. Take standard precautions, wipe down the cart handles, etc. Then, make sure you wash all fruits, veggies, etc before putting them away and again before consumption.

Going in the early morning will also help ensure you get the freshest fruits. Best to you!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

Let's see what the weekend brings...🤷🏼‍♀️

more isolation.....

Arrested-C_d.jpg