April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    Current amusement/funnies.
    1. Garmin thinks I walked like 13k steps before noon yesterday.... which means either it is on crack.... or after Saturday’s “de-glittering” I left it on my dryer, and running my dryer shook it enough it thought I walked that far.
    2. As I was talking myself into running today, one of my procrastination thoughts was “you really need to shave your legs before you go out in those capris.” Then... I went “no you don’t, if anyone notices you are beginning to look like a cave woman... they are too *kitten* close!!” -bright sides of quarantine. :)

@hanlonsk - I love these!! I may have to try putting my watch on the dryer and see if it thinks I am walking 😂
    I have actually thought that I may need to be running in shorts soon and what exactly is that going to be like. I don't shave my legs (very sensitive skin and shaving results in a mess) but get them 'sugared' and the place I go to is of course closed!

No run today! We had record breaking rain and flood warnings. There is supposed to be a break in the rain tomorrow morning so I am hopeful!

Also I had lunch (virtually) with a bunch of my friends today and it was really so very nice just to see all of them and talk and laugh. We didn't use Zoom because of the security and other issues but WebEx worked great!
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    vi3vrxpgbevb.jpeg
    The little black dots are bugs I ran into which stuck to my sweat! My husband says I’m like the grille of a car.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m a bug magnet. I’ll run with a friend or a group and I’m the only one dotted with bugs at the end. I put it down to perspiring a lot but everyone perspires eventually on a run. Better that than eating them, I guess, which happens often enough.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I’ve just had the most amazing running weekend - finally my fitness is back to where is was pre-injury six months ago and, speaking of injury, my Achilles are now virtually pain free when I run. Hallelujah!

Yay!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    vi3vrxpgbevb.jpeg
    The little black dots are bugs I ran into which stuck to my sweat! My husband says I’m like the grille of a car.

I don’t know what it is, but I’m a bug magnet. I’ll run with a friend or a group and I’m the only one dotted with bugs at the end. I put it down to perspiring a lot but everyone perspires eventually on a run. Better that than eating them, I guess, which happens often enough.

The grill is the frontmost part of the car where the headlights are, between the bumper and the hood.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    4-1 7k easy
    4-2 7k easy
    4-3 8k slow
    4-4 7k moderate
    4-5 7k moderate
    4-6 7k easy
    4-7 rest

April Total: 43k
    April Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k

2020 Total through March: 509k

Scheduled rest day today; perfect timing, since it it raining.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That sounds like something I would have wanted to do, but not had the guts to carry out. Now, I would totally do that!

@hanlonsk I hope your boyfriend sticks with it. I've always gone by the montra "never say never" because you usually wind up doing that thing. In this case, that's a good thing. Love your "funnies." I too have a hard time putting my thoughts into words. It's really funny about the dryer vs the Garmin. I have found that when I play the piano, my Garmin thinks I'm walking. Maybe that means I'm too animated as my piano teacher used to make me balance a penny on the back of my hands while I played, so I wouldn't "bounce."

We passed an old man out on his front porch who yelled, “Great job, now pick up the pace!” I gave him a thumbs up, and he clarified, “Really though, don’t, you might die of heat stroke!” Since 84 degrees is widely considered a pleasant temperature by non-runners, I bet he was or had been a runner himself.
    Love this so much. Great run! Glad you're knee and hand are okay and that you are able to run in the road and avoid the sidewalks for now.

Yeah on your runs @ContraryMaryMary ! Hope your Achilles is better today.

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @PastorVincent That sounds like something I would have wanted to do, but not had the guts to carry out. Now, I would totally do that!

There was a lot of things I should not have had the guts to carry out, this was the least of them ;)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    lol. i missed 2 weeks and you guys have so many posts.
    still running sorta
    had a cold. quarantined.
    now back to work

Welcome back!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,402 Member
    Options
    @contrarymary - I have read that you should change directions once in a while to not put so much impact on one side to the other, so maybe try alternating laps? Hope everything feels better!
    @rheddmobile - I am also one of those who seems to attract bugs. We have gnats that swarm because we are so close to the river and they seem to love me sweat or not. I end up with them in my hair, on my sunglasses, stuck to my skin and clothes and yes, if I am not quick enough to close it, in my mouth.
    @marisap2010 - I also could never do the pull-ups. Even after all the strength training I have done and I am pretty strong now, I still can't do one. I was so impressed when @katharmonic decided to challenge herself until she could do one. Maybe there is still hope for me someday...
    @mbaker566 - glad you are feeling better and are back!! Been missing your posts and puppy pictures!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    4/3 - 3
    4/4 - 3
    4/7 - 3

9 of 40 miles
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    Catching up on the thread as usual.
    @hanlonsk I don’t wear a mask when I run. I have a homemade one but haven’t used it yet, but I only run with Skip.
    My biggest problem with the mask I made is when I breathe my glasses fog up. Ugh

@Avidkeo I agree with you, they are useless if not being used correctly

Up until today we were allowed to go into the office, since there has been very few of us and I personally am no where near anyone. I started teleworking on Friday and my boss said today they are shutting the building down and all of us have to telework. Our main campus has 2 confirmed cases so if we were out there we need to quarantine for 14 days. I haven’t been out there in almost 2 years so I’m okay as far as that goes.

@Camaramandy648 you need to hang out with me and Skip we seem to mark our territory more than any dog. Hate to admit it but it’s true. Nice job on the HM. I laughed out loud at the kid on the bike comment. When my IT band was hurting the orthopedic doc said no down hills. I said you know I’m a trail runner right ha ha my PT said do monster walks and clam shells all day long to strengthen it.

Oh @Scott6255 I’m so sorry to hear about Uncle John. Your wife is a saint for caring for her Aunt, been there with my grandmother it’s very difficult. We’ll keep you all in our prayers.

@tams_89 hope your girl is feeling better

@katharmonic don’t you exploring new trails! Beautiful pictures

@eleanorhawkins our kids are out for good here. K-11 will receive the grades they had at the end of the 3rd quarter as their final grades. Can’t remember what they are doing for seniors but something similar. If you are not ready for promotion to the next grade then you have work the teachers have sent home. Hysterical about the report card

@brittanystebbins95 my dog loves to run. She’s getting older and has hip pain now but I take her to the trails from time to time and let her run loose, she has the best time.

@Teresa502 we are always up to hear good news!

@Faebert great picture

Skip had her track coach as her PE teacher and they had to run the mile like every week to see if they were improving. So off they went and of course lots of kids talking smack to each other, the coach said to Skip 2nd lap you go. Ha ha she blew by everyone and that is how Skip become and queen of the mile in her PE class and won the respect of all those football players running their mouths ha ha ha

@Elise4270 our HS requires 1 9 weeks period unless you have a sport, but xc/track was never allowed to have 4th block time so those kids still had to take PE.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    @shanaber, @contrarymary ...

Why Are Mosquitos Attracted to Some People More Than Others?
    https://www.healthline.com/health/why-do-mosquitoes-bite-some-people-more
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Today's cross training walk is brought to you, in part, by Matt Fitzgerald. I ordered his book, 80/20 Running, that you all have talked about before. I had it delivered to my mom and dad's house with some other things for them. It came in last night, so part of my walk was getting to their house to pick up the book. I did stop and talk to them and helped my dad pay a bill he was concerned about. Their house is about 0.6 miles from mine, so that made for a good portion of the walk. I finished by taking my dog into the neighbor's field. Completed 2.5 miles in under 39 minutes. Not too bad.

exercise.png