April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Hahaha. It's always fun when the doctor says "yuck."

It is right up there with "uh oh" and "that does not look good." But still better than "oops"
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @katharmonic Thanks,
    I have garmin that syncs to mfp, so mfp uses that to calculate the exercise calories it gives me.
    I haven’t really changed much, and the weight has started creeping up about I guess the last couple of months or so.
    Like I said, I have been eating more but then I’ve also increase the miles, so I should maintain at the very least. I’ll start with eating only half those back and see but I know I haven’t been eating all of them or maybe I have and am miscalculating..
    Ugh who knows. Don’t really feel bloated just not good.
    And the foot! 😖
    I really should go for a ride and quit the feeling sorry for myself 😐

HHMM so you know that the exercise calories is correct, I really thought that would be it. Are you eating more carbs or something than you normally would? You might also be holding on to more water if you are increasing your runs.
    Could be the carbs...and the water..
    I’ll keep more track ...thanks!
    How’s the arm?
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    I’m feeling bummed out. I’ve gained 4lbs and for many it might seem not much, but in my small short frame, I can tell. I don’t get it as I’ve been ruining, more miles in fact. I have been eating more, but not more than mfp + exercise calories.

Things to check...

1) I have noticed that occasionally MFP counts exercise twice. Double-check your entries and make sure that is not happening. I have not figured out why/pattern or anything yet. Just occasionally I look and I have an entry doubled. (I too use a Garmin, just as you said you do)

2) Make sure you have not gotten a bit lazy or sloppy in your portion control. If you grab a little extra, make sure you are still recording that. I think human nature is for us to get less precise with time

3) Check your macros - is your diet composition still about the same? If your macros are changed your daily calorie intact might have to change to match that

4) What about your non-exercising time? Are you less active than you were? Esply during this lockdown?

5) I know nothing about this being biologically (and in all ways) male, but is it related to your cycle? I am told some woman retain water during parts of it.

All that being said, you probably just need to adjust your non-exercise calorie count down a little and carry on. That is my best guess right now.

Hey there!

Ok so,

1)No double entries...though I wonder how accurate Garmin is?
    2)That could be. I still measure everything, but the little bites here and there could add up. I usually will ‘quick add’ calories to cover that. I will be more mindful.
    3)I think the carbs have increased
    4)not much difference in non exercise time. Other than not going to work, which is not that much more movement
    5)I wish it was that lol.

Sadly I’m already at the lowest allowed (1200) for non exercise calories so. And I have to have that much at least. I’ll try to get more precise..in the counting
    thanks much!

• hamsterwheel6
    Options
    okay, thread... something y'all might need to be thinking about. I notice that some of you go through periods where you can not run, and you back off and then suddenly can run again. I SUSPECT that some of you are not allowing for enough recovery. There is a way to check this. Most of us wear a Fitbit, Garmin, or other wrist-based heart rate tracker full time. This is a good thing, assuming you are wearing it properly of course.

Start looking at the graph of your RESTING HEART RATE. If you see that it is climbing and not coming back down then you are not fully recovered and you need to think about tossing in a rest day or other change to your training. Now your resting HR will vary some, but only like a few BPM. If it is like say 7 more than normal, skip your run that day. :)

It is a trailing indicator in that its a day behind, but it can tell you if you are allowing enough recovery time.

I am not a doctor, and I have never played one on TV, so buyer beware, YMMV and none of this applies in Nebraska of course.

Hmm...I’ll check!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @katharmonic - I am just amazed at you getting out and running another 9 miles this morning after yesterday! Wow you are a rockstar!
    I hope Stella's paw is ok. Not sure how they are handling vet visits in your area but I had Hobbes to the vet on Friday and they don't even let you go in. They came out and took him inside while I waited in the car. The vet actually came out to talk to me though when they brought him back. To be fair we have known her for years and my daughter worked there when she was in HS so she wanted to check in as much with me as to discuss the pup.
    Aw, thanks.

That's what I gather they are doing here too. It will be tricky if she needs to go in because I usually have to pre-sedate her with meds, muzzle her just in case, and help hold her down while sweet talking her to keep her calm. She's much better than she used to be when I first adopted her and she screamed like an unholy demon and tried to bite anyone within her reach. Now she grumbles and complains the whole time but is able to be handled. Her paw seems not too bad, a little limpy but we'll see how it is tomorrow. I'm hoping she just stepped on something and bruised or scratched it a bit. She's a tough girl so I'm not too worried unless it gets worse.

Hope Hobbes is doing well!

@skippygirlsmom that sounds bad! Hope it improves soon, ouch!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I’m feeling bummed out. I’ve gained 4lbs and for many it might seem not much, but in my small short frame, I can tell. I don’t get it as I’ve been ruining, more miles in fact. I have been eating more, but not more than mfp + exercise calories.

Things to check...

1) I have noticed that occasionally MFP counts exercise twice. Double-check your entries and make sure that is not happening. I have not figured out why/pattern or anything yet. Just occasionally I look and I have an entry doubled. (I too use a Garmin, just as you said you do)

2) Make sure you have not gotten a bit lazy or sloppy in your portion control. If you grab a little extra, make sure you are still recording that. I think human nature is for us to get less precise with time

3) Check your macros - is your diet composition still about the same? If your macros are changed your daily calorie intact might have to change to match that

4) What about your non-exercising time? Are you less active than you were? Esply during this lockdown?

5) I know nothing about this being biologically (and in all ways) male, but is it related to your cycle? I am told some woman retain water during parts of it.

All that being said, you probably just need to adjust your non-exercise calorie count down a little and carry on. That is my best guess right now.

Hey there!

Ok so,

2)That could be. I still measure everything, but the little bites here and there could add up. I usually will ‘quick add’ calories to cover that. I will be more mindful.
    4)not much difference in non exercise time. Other than not going to work, which is not that much more movement

Sadly I’m already at the lowest allowed (1200) for non exercise calories so. And I have to have that much at least. I’ll try to get more precise..in the counting
    thanks much!

As for how accurate Garmin is, I think it is still a little bit optimistic. At least in my case, I have to make sure I have a little leftover most days and I am on maintenance now.

Maybe only eat back like 75% of your calories for a bit and see how that goes?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options
    April Goal: 100 Miles

4/1: 5.16 miles
    4/2: 5.15 miles
    4/5: 9.02 miles
    4/7: 6.22 miles
    4/8: 5.51 miles
    4/9: 5.26 miles
    4/12: 10.2 miles
    4/14: 6.23 miles
    4/15: 5.15 miles
    4/16: 5.20 miles
    4/18: 5.2 🎂 miles
    4/19:  9.55 miles

77.84/100 miles completed for April

389.24/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 9.5 miles this morning.  It was pretty  warm compared to yesterday,  but nice for running in shorts and a tank top. I tried to keep it easy and had a nice long, slow run.
    I wasn't sure what I would run today since I ran yesterday and usually take Saturdays as rest days. But I did sign up for the Humor Un-canceled 15K for today so I decided that I would play it by ear and if I felt good I would run at least 15k. I felt really good too so I was glad I got out there.

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes   @shanaber, @rheddmobile, @faebert, and @hamsterwheel6.

@avidkeo and @PastorVincent I'm pretty sure my HM in May will be canceled,  but I am still trying to be positive.  They are going to start slowly easing some of the restrictions in Texas and I do hope they don't do too much too soon. I guess it is easy to get your hopes up when you are in a less populated area. So far in my county we have had 36 people tested. There has been 1 positive result, 1 test is still pending and the other 34 have come back negative.  And the only positive we had was an elderly man, but he was not hospitalized and he has been recovered for over 14 days. But I am prepared for the face to be canceled,  but I am also planning to run a HM that day regardless. 

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon 🤞
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    okay, thread... something y'all might need to be thinking about. I notice that some of you go through periods where you can not run, and you back off and then suddenly can run again. I SUSPECT that some of you are not allowing for enough recovery. There is a way to check this. Most of us wear a Fitbit, Garmin, or other wrist-based heart rate tracker full time. This is a good thing, assuming you are wearing it properly of course.

Start looking at the graph of your RESTING HEART RATE. If you see that it is climbing and not coming back down then you are not fully recovered and you need to think about tossing in a rest day or other change to your training. Now your resting HR will vary some, but only like a few BPM. If it is like say 7 more than normal, skip your run that day. :)

It is a trailing indicator in that its a day behind, but it can tell you if you are allowing enough recovery time.

I am not a doctor, and I have never played one on TV, so buyer beware, YMMV and none of this applies in Nebraska of course.

Interesting to note that when I have binges, my RHR goes up as well for a couple of days. I find that fascinating!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

Things to check...

Hey there!

Ok so,

thanks much!

As for how accurate Garmin is, I think it is still a little bit optimistic. At least in my case, I have to make sure I have a little leftover most days and I am on maintenance now.

Maybe only eat back like 75% of your calories for a bit and see how that goes?

I can do 50-75%. Let’s see how it goes😀
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Interesting to note that when I have binges, my RHR goes up as well for a couple of days. I find that fascinating!

That might be stress related?
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Things to check...

Hey there!

Ok so,

thanks much!

Adding to this, are you weighing EVERYTHING? as in pre packaged items? If you weigh things like bread you will see the pack says 140 calories for 2 slices (74g), but when you weigh the slices they are actually 82g which is an increase of 10%

I now weigh everything, because packaging lies. I had some instant noodles the other day, package said 141g, the actual weight was 150g. And when it's a high fat product like that, it makes a difference.

Also have you got negative adjustments on? This is something I've struggled with for ages, but I now use. Because on some days I don't burn as much as MFP thinks I will with the exercise done in the morning. Negative adjustments mean I'm going to be much closer to my deficit.

Finally how much are you aiming to lose? Trying to lose too fast (eg you only have 5lb to go, but are set at 2lb a week) can cause you to stagnate - mostly because you aren't eating enough calories, and you don't have the stores anymore. You start using muscle for energy and it can cause a whole lot of issues. Make sure you set an appropriate goal, remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Oh and second finally, are you tracking daily and watching the trend? Small losses can be hidden in weekly weigh ins. Mobycarp taught me how useful tracking the trend is. I ignore the daily weights now and just look at the trend. Going down, yay. Going up, boo.

Hugs, it really sux.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    April Goal: 100 Miles

4/1: 5.16 miles
    4/2: 5.15 miles
    4/5: 9.02 miles
    4/7: 6.22 miles
    4/8: 5.51 miles
    4/9: 5.26 miles
    4/12: 10.2 miles
    4/14: 6.23 miles
    4/15: 5.15 miles
    4/16: 5.20 miles
    4/18: 5.2 🎂 miles
    4/19:  9.55 miles

77.84/100 miles completed for April

389.24/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 9.5 miles this morning.  It was pretty  warm compared to yesterday,  but nice for running in shorts and a tank top. I tried to keep it easy and had a nice long, slow run.
    I wasn't sure what I would run today since I ran yesterday and usually take Saturdays as rest days. But I did sign up for the Humor Un-canceled 15K for today so I decided that I would play it by ear and if I felt good I would run at least 15k. I felt really good too so I was glad I got out there.

Thanks again for all the birthday wishes   @shanaber, @rheddmobile, @faebert, and @hamsterwheel6.

@avidkeo and @PastorVincent I'm pretty sure my HM in May will be canceled,  but I am still trying to be positive.  They are going to start slowly easing some of the restrictions in Texas and I do hope they don't do too much too soon. I guess it is easy to get your hopes up when you are in a less populated area. So far in my county we have had 36 people tested. There has been 1 positive result, 1 test is still pending and the other 34 have come back negative.  And the only positive we had was an elderly man, but he was not hospitalized and he has been recovered for over 14 days. But I am prepared for the face to be canceled,  but I am also planning to run a HM that day regardless. 

exercise.png

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon 🤞

Sorry, I was feeling really blah when I wrote that doom and gloom. I say plan for the half marathon, and if it's cancelled, do it anyway! My marathon isn't till July, and I'm planning on running it regardless. You are a rock star!
  • Avidkeo
    edited April 2020
    Options

Haha possible but I don't think so. I have always noticed when I have a lot of sugar my HR seems to spike, and my heart just beats harder? Not scientific at all I know, just one of those things I notice. Oh and when I binge, it's all the sugar - cake, sweets, icecream, sweets, chocolate lol

ETA its not a huge change, about 7-8 bpm. But noticeable..

b1kejrj8gzw2.jpg
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Haha possible but I don't think so. I have always noticed when I have a lot of sugar my HR seems to spike, and my heart just beats harder? Not scientific at all I know, just one of those things I notice. Oh and when I binge, it's all the sugar - cake, sweets, icecream, sweets, chocolate lol

Right, but the few posts that I remember you mentioning a binge in were all around a time of stress. It does not mean much cause I am not exactly taking careful notes on your life, just thought I recalled that. :)
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

b1kejrj8gzw2.jpg

I’m wondering if that’s correlation rather than causation, and you are binging in part because you’re instinctively trying to raise your energy levels.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,028 Member
    Options

Sorry, I was feeling really blah when I wrote that doom and gloom. I say plan for the half marathon, and if it's cancelled, do it anyway! My marathon isn't till July, and I'm planning on running it regardless. You are a rock star!

That's my plan! 😊
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Right, but the few posts that I remember you mentioning a binge in were all around a time of stress. It does not mean much cause I am not exactly taking careful notes on your life, just thought I recalled that. :)

Hmmm you are right that the stress brings on the binges. My only argument is that the stress is still there, but I'm not binging. Intriguing ill have to keep an eye on that out of curiosity if nothing else
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options

Things to check...

Hey there!

Ok so,

thanks much!

Adding to this, are you weighing EVERYTHING? as in pre packaged items? If you weigh things like bread you will see the pack says 140 calories for 2 slices (74g), but when you weigh the slices they are actually 82g which is an increase of 10%

I now weigh everything, because packaging lies. I had some instant noodles the other day, package said 141g, the actual weight was 150g. And when it's a high fat product like that, it makes a difference.

Also have you got negative adjustments on? This is something I've struggled with for ages, but I now use. Because on some days I don't burn as much as MFP thinks I will with the exercise done in the morning. Negative adjustments mean I'm going to be much closer to my deficit.

Finally how much are you aiming to lose? Trying to lose too fast (eg you only have 5lb to go, but are set at 2lb a week) can cause you to stagnate - mostly because you aren't eating enough calories, and you don't have the stores anymore. You start using muscle for energy and it can cause a whole lot of issues. Make sure you set an appropriate goal, remember it's a marathon, not a sprint.

Oh and second finally, are you tracking daily and watching the trend? Small losses can be hidden in weekly weigh ins. Mobycarp taught me how useful tracking the trend is. I ignore the daily weights now and just look at the trend. Going down, yay. Going up, boo.

Hugs, it really sux.

That’s the one thing I don’t do..weight the prepackaged stuff...but I never have before and I lost. But I will start.
    Yes to negative adjustments. I don’t have much to lose, it’s just I had reached my goal, and was maintaining fairly well, but then all of a sudden the past 2-3 months weight has been increasing...at first I thought it was water weight or time of month weight, and It will go away, but nope.
    I’m tracking daily, but haven’t kept with the trend lately. Need to fire up that app again.
    I’ll try to be more vigilant and see if that helps
    Thanks for the tips! Yeah it sux.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 Adding to what @avidkeo mentions about weighing foods and there being a slight difference, I think the calories listed only have to be within 10% anyway. so That could be added calories and if you notice some things have approximate servings listed. Like the can is ~2.5 servings but when you check it against ounces or grams it has 2.6 servings (oh i see Kim mentioned this already). I wonder if its not your foods and is a change in activity? since the virus we all are probably less active. Or more carbs even which causes water retention.

I'm using my covid money for liposuction.... (not really. cuz its not enough)