April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all.

@eleanorhawkins you are amazing! Treadmills are the worst, so that's just incredible.

@quilteryoyo love the vacuum cross training bahaha. I did mop Olympics yesterday...

@hamsterwheel6 oh no, that sounds really frustrating!

Moan. My legs are a bit sore. Sigh. And our spa is out of commission as the washes have all fallen apart. That's what you get for buying a cheap inflatable spa I guess. So today will be a walk, followed by the roller and stretches. Makes me wonder though, am I actually up to doing a marathon? Will see after next week's half I guess. Slowing down should help...

I'll definitely show the cake! I'm going to go get compound chocolate today so I can pipe decorations that won't fall apart haha. But won't be assembling it for a couple of days, I want it as fresh as possible. Also, there is a small chance our lock down will be eased a bit on Thursday, and if so we will probably go visit the Inlaws and will want to take cake to them.

Regular week at work this week, then a 4 day weekend I can't wait!
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo give the Yoga with Adriene yoga for tired legs a go. I do it almost every evening when my legs are sore and it seems to help.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    Options
    WOW! Great run @Scott6255 ! Good luck with your shoes. I probably need new ones too. The ones I have are a year old, but seem to still be doing okay. I have no idea how many miles they have on them.

Great run @kgirlhart ! I love that you were able to run 5.2 miles in 52 minutes. Excellent pace!

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    4/2 – 5.04 miles
    4/3 – 3.15
    4/4 – 11
    4/6 – 2.4
    4/7 – 5.18
    4/8 – 3.02
    4/9 – 6.43
    4/11 – 11.03
    4/12 – 2.55
    4/14 – 5.30
    4/15 – 3.02
    4/16 – 4.40
    4/17 – 3.18
    4/18 – 10.07

77.73 miles monthly total

I had a hard time getting motivated to get going this morning. I woke up to a soft rain. A little before 9, the sun popped out and my Dark Sky app said the rain had moved out. It was a little chilly at 43F. I didn't wear gloves and wished that I did until about a mile in to the run when my hands finally warmed up. I got about a half mile from home and felt a few sprinkles. About a mile from the house the rain was more than sprinkles and the wind was blowing hard. I was wishing I had worn a light rain jacket. Thankfully, it only lasted a couple of minutes and then it was mostly cloudy the rest of the run. The route I ran was about half gravel road/half paved road. I debated about wearing trail shoes but stuck with my road shoes and they worked out ok. I ended the run with a 1 ½ mile walk/hike back up the ridge to my house. After a nice warm shower, I did a much needed stretch workout on the Peleton app. Then I headed to my mom's to get her grocery list and make a grocery run for her. It turned out to be a nice sunny afternoon. I couldn't believe all the people that were out and about. The store was pretty crowded making it hard to stay a safe distance from everyone. I guess everyone is getting tired of staying home and they just could not resist the pretty day. I'm going to have to rethink my grocery shopping strategy and find a less busy time.

@Avidkeo – great pace on your long run! Wish I had some advice on slowing down. Going slow is my natural talent!

@katharmonic – those cows need to get on board! We all need more cow bell these days!

@eleanorhawkins – you are awesome! Great job keeping it under 2 hours but staying on the TM that long takes a lot of grit and determination! Oh and next time I go to Rome, I’m seeking your advice on where to eat!

@tramboman – sorry you are still dealing with snow. I’ve been wanting to ask you for some time why you track your runs in kilometers instead of miles. You’re in the U.S. right?

@kgirlhart – Nice birthday run! Enjoy that Mexican food and the cake!!

Hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Teresa502!

@quilteryoyo I was pretty excited about those numbers! I guess I'm a bit of a nerd. 😆
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart congrats on your great birthday run! Enjoy your celebration

Nice running @Scott6255! I think I need to replace my shoes too and I'm trying to wait it out. I think I want the same model as I have, the Ghost 12s, though so I should be able to just pick them up. It seems like I *just* bought them though (which I know can't be true as Strava is telling me it's time).

Great job on your 10 miles @Teresa502, despite the chill and rain.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    04/02/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 8.0
    04/03/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.6
    04/04/20 :::: 10.2 :::: 21.8
    04/05/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 23.3
    04/06/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 25.6
    04/07/20 :::: 4.6 :::: 30.2
    04/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.3
    04/09/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 36.3
    04/10/20 :::: 4.0 :::: 40.3
    04/11/20 :::: 8.3 :::: 48.6
    04/12/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 51.7
    04/13/20 :::: 5.1 :::: 56.8
    04/14/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 60.3
    04/15/20 :::: 3.3 :::: 63.5
    04/16/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 66.6
    04/17/20 :::: 3.9 :::: 70.6
    04/18/20 :::: 7.1 :::: 77.6

Well, I had a day. Because it was forecast to snow overnight and into mid-morning I had decided to put off my long run to tomorrow and sleep in. But then I got guilted by my trainer into going to do repeats of steps at the state park, with a weighted pack at 7:30 this morning. 42 minutes of that and then a 15 minute run. My legs were shaky after all of that. Then I went home and took the dog out for a hike for a little over an hour. Ate some lunch, took a nap, did a little stretching yoga, and then ran over to a meet a friend to socially distant run with her. Then ran home again. And now I am sitting on the couch contemplating whether I can get by with never using my legs again.

In theory, I am still going to do my long run tomorrow? I feel like some self-negotiation will probably bring that goal down to not-so-long run.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,451 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »

I ran 5.2 miles in 52 minutes for my 52nd birthday today.

That is so awesome!!! I LOVE when those numbers work out like that. Yes, I'm a nerd too!!!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @Avidkeo give the Yoga with Adriene yoga for tired legs a go. I do it almost every evening when my legs are sore and it seems to help.

Ohhh yes I'll do that!

@kgirlhart yay you ran! Love the numbers, fantastic!

Doom and gloom in the spoiler...
    I'm a downer but looking at the US numbers and trend, I wouldn't count on the marathon happening in May. Though to be fair we are only seeing the shocking news (florida opening beaches and the crowds, the idiots protesting (idiots because no social distancing). If it is as widespread as it looks, then there may be a second lock down as a second wave comes. But I'm doom and gloom.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,336 Member
    Options
    4/1- 8.2
    4/2- 6.4
    4/3- 3.5
    4/4- 4.2
    4/5 - 7
    4/6- 4.2
    4/7 - 4
    4/8 - 5.2
    4/9- 9
    4/10-4.2
    4/11-3.2
    4/12-3.2
    4/13-3.7
    4/14-3.2
    4/15-3.2
    4/16-4.2
    4/17-3.2
    4/18-4

83.8 running miles for April with a goal of 130!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I did get my vacuuming done, in case anyone cares.

W00T!!! WELL DONE!!!
    Well, that's odd. My ticker shows 45.25 miles on the site, but only 44.25 miles here. I tried copy and pasting twice. It's a mystery.

The ticker is delayed. Just ignore it and when you come back later it will be right.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    WOW! Great run @Scott6255 ! Good luck with your shoes. I probably need new ones too. The ones I have are a year old, but seem to still be doing okay. I have no idea how many miles they have on them.

Great run @kgirlhart ! I love that you were able to run 5.2 miles in 52 minutes. Excellent pace!
    I couldn't agree more. Great runs!!!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    4/2 – 5.04 miles
    4/3 – 3.15
    4/4 – 11
    4/6 – 2.4
    4/7 – 5.18
    4/8 – 3.02
    4/9 – 6.43
    4/11 – 11.03
    4/12 – 2.55
    4/14 – 5.30
    4/15 – 3.02
    4/16 – 4.40
    4/17 – 3.18
    4/18 – 10.07

77.73 miles monthly total

I had a hard time getting motivated to get going this morning. I woke up to a soft rain. A little before 9, the sun popped out and my Dark Sky app said the rain had moved out. It was a little chilly at 43F. I didn't wear gloves and wished that I did until about a mile in to the run when my hands finally warmed up. I got about a half mile from home and felt a few sprinkles. About a mile from the house the rain was more than sprinkles and the wind was blowing hard. I was wishing I had worn a light rain jacket. Thankfully, it only lasted a couple of minutes and then it was mostly cloudy the rest of the run. The route I ran was about half gravel road/half paved road. I debated about wearing trail shoes but stuck with my road shoes and they worked out ok. I ended the run with a 1 ½ mile walk/hike back up the ridge to my house. After a nice warm shower, I did a much needed stretch workout on the Peleton app. Then I headed to my mom's to get her grocery list and make a grocery run for her. It turned out to be a nice sunny afternoon. I couldn't believe all the people that were out and about. The store was pretty crowded making it hard to stay a safe distance from everyone. I guess everyone is getting tired of staying home and they just could not resist the pretty day. I'm going to have to rethink my grocery shopping strategy and find a less busy time.

@Avidkeo – great pace on your long run! Wish I had some advice on slowing down. Going slow is my natural talent!

@katharmonic – those cows need to get on board! We all need more cow bell these days!

@eleanorhawkins – you are awesome! Great job keeping it under 2 hours but staying on the TM that long takes a lot of grit and determination! Oh and next time I go to Rome, I’m seeking your advice on where to eat!

@tramboman – sorry you are still dealing with snow. I’ve been wanting to ask you for some time why you track your runs in kilometers instead of miles. You’re in the U.S. right?

@kgirlhart – Nice birthday run! Enjoy that Mexican food and the cake!!

Hope everyone has a great rest of their weekend!

I am in the USA. Since the only races I run are measured in kilometers, I just switched my Garmin to metric. Plus, the Run the Edge app automatically converts the kilometers into miles for me.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »

I ran 5.2 miles in 52 minutes for my 52nd birthday today.

That is so awesome!!! I LOVE when those numbers work out like that. Yes, I'm a nerd too!!!

I agree well done and Happy Birthday again! (this time on the day)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    What a difference a few days make. Wednesday's 8 mile run was super sucky with a walk break every mile. Today's 13.1 only had 2 walk breaks during my water/fuel stop. Every mile was at or below 9:20 pace (except for warm up and water break miles). Longest run of the year, most run days in a week this year, longest mileage week of the year. So feel pretty good about that.

Well done!

As for your shoes, if they are not causing you any pain or issues, you should be able to stretch them a bit longer.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    And as of now my HM for May 16th is still on. It looks like they are going to start easing the restrictions so maybe it won't get canceled after all.

Not sure what state you are in, but I think in most states we will be pushing lock down into Mid May, but we will see!
    Hopefully, they re-open for you AND they are not doing it too soon!

• katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Great run! Sounds like a good day, except for not being able to keep far enough away from people.

@katharmonic I'm sorry you didn't get to sleep in. I know what I would have told my trainer and I wouldn't have felt guilty about it. :lol: You are amazing doing all of that in one day.

I did get my vacuuming done, in case anyone cares. :wink:

I really was NOT in the mood to run today. It was decent outside - well, sunny, windy, around 50°F. I opted to run on the treadmill where I could control my pace and the incline. I was running my Humor Un-Cancelled 5K today as part of my longish run this week. I debated on whether to take it easy or go for it. I chose the latter, to get it over with sooner, and got a PB for a 5K - 33:04 minutes...10:39/mile pace. Shhh. Don't tell Garmin. He doesn't know. (I don't have a foot pod so Garmin always thinks I'm a lot slower and don't go as far as the treadmill says I do. I believe the treadmill.) I continued on at a slow pace to finish up 4 miles. With the warm up and cool down walks, I traversed 5.0 miles today.

exercise.png

Well, that's odd. My ticker shows 45.25 miles on the site, but only 44.25 miles here. I tried copy and pasting twice. It's a mystery.

@quilteryoyo your ticker updated and it matches now. Nice job on your 5k personal best!! Garmin and the treadmill often have disagreements, and I always believe the more optimistic of the two. Great work! And you got the vacuuming done too.

LOL, I know - I have a problem not wanting to disappoint my trainer. I've been kind of slacking off on any workouts other than running while the gym is closed (especially this week) so I'm very susceptible to the guilt right now. And plus, he is handsome. ;)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,123 Member
    Options
    @katharmonic Now the truth comes out. Being handsome might have changed my attitude. :wink: