4/15 – 3
    4/16 - 3
    4/18 - 3
    4/19 - 3

31 of 40 miles
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,118 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 You just go ahead and whine. I get it. It's hard when you think you are doing everything right and still gain. Hang in there. I'm sure it will come back off soon. Hope your foot feels better!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 You just go ahead and whine. I get it. It's hard when you think you are doing everything right and still gain. Hang in there. I'm sure it will come back off soon. Hope your foot feels better!

Thank you 🙏 I do appreciate the support 😀
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 amazing what a difference a day can make in a run, great pace. Our Fleet Feet is doing fittings via FaceTime and then have curbside pick up. I always buy Brooks Launch so I can’t remember the last time I did a fitting.

@Teresa502 I had to run out for something quick yesterday and was shocked at the number of people just strolling along in the stores like nothing was going on. I was like just my couple of things and get out.

@Avidkeo I have to agree with you, we are not out of the woods people. Our Lt. Governor did a press conference and was like let’s open all the small stores now, let’s open nail salons, tattoo parlors, hair places, restaurants. I was staring at him with my mouth open and then he said and on 5/11 we should have little league because that will make people happy. Yeah until we need to shut down again. Give it a few more weeks. Though I do believe if I can buy shoes at WalMart I should be able to buy them at Fleet Feet or Academy or whatever.

@quilteryoyo sometimes the ticker takes a bit to catch up here

@shanaber sorry the runs haven’t been feeling good, but glad you had a good one. I know that is so frustrating. Is the Garmin telling you your heartrate? Mine told me yesterday’s run was like 105? No way, it’s also been giving me calories counts of like 120 to 185 for 3 mile runs….um no

@rheddmobile Oh my gosh what a run! I always think about being out there at night. Speaking of poison ivy, ugh I got some in the back yard. It’s so bad on my arm Skip keeping telling me it’s skin eating bacteria. It’s really bad, what made it worse was I was cutting trees down and it seems (to the doctor) that the oil got right into the cut, therefore my arm got infected. I won’t post a picture it’s so awful, most of my forearm is purple with pealing skin. I’m taking steroids and antibotics. What a mess. I was never allergic to it before and about 5 years ago I got it really bad, like 4 steroid shots to try and get it to go away, I was covered.

@marisap2010 or hell no on your animal friend. I try to live with the thought that they are never ever on any trail I run ever.

@hamsterwheel6 how are you getting your exercise calories, do you have a tracker or are you depending on what MFP is telling you? MFP always gives me like double what my Garmin tells me for the same exercise. If I burn 200 calories I usually only eat 50% of them back. You might be having a calories burn issue.

Okay so I’m pissed at my Garmin APP, at least I think it’s the APP. I upgraded the APP and lost all my “records” etc. I ran at 14:52 pace yesterday and it say “yeah new 1 mile PR” ha ha!!!

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,413 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Rest day for me today. Will do a stretching session and must do some strength training. I have really been bad about doing it at home on my own.
    @marisap2010 - sounds like a great hike other than your animal 'friends'. I am no longer afraid of them but respectful. I do love your hat!
    @rheddmobile - I would be terrified getting lost like that in the dark. I hope you aren't too scratched up and that there was no poison ivy!
    When Hobbes and I run along the river he gets me worried because he starts jumping and reacting to things in the bushes I guess or something he smells. His ears go back and down and his tail goes down. Even when we are past the area he keeps looking back like something is following or chasing us. Kind of freaks me out to be honest. For sure there are coyotes and other big cats that hunt and maybe live along there.

ETA
    @skippygirlsmom - HR is coming from my Polar HRM. It is typically more accurate than my watch when I am running. IDK maybe the battery is getting low or something.
    @katharmonic - I am just amazed at you getting out and running another 9 miles this morning after yesterday! Wow you are a rockstar!
    I hope Stella's paw is ok. Not sure how they are handling vet visits in your area but I had Hobbes to the vet on Friday and they don't even let you go in. They came out and took him inside while I waited in the car. The vet actually came out to talk to me though when they brought him back. To be fair we have known her for years and my daughter worked there when she was in HS so she wanted to check in as much with me as to discuss the pup.
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    April goal: 80 km

April 1st - 2.5 km
    April 3 - 5.5. km
    April 5 - 8.2 km
    April 7 - 7 km
    April 9 - 5 km
    April 11 - 10 km
    April 13 - 5 km
    April 19 - 6.6 km

Total: 49.8 km

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @katharmonic Thanks,
    I have garmin that syncs to mfp, so mfp uses that to calculate the exercise calories it gives me.
    I haven’t really changed much, and the weight has started creeping up about I guess the last couple of months or so.
    Like I said, I have been eating more but then I’ve also increase the miles, so I should maintain at the very least. I’ll start with eating only half those back and see but I know I haven’t been eating all of them or maybe I have and am miscalculating..
    Ugh who knows. Don’t really feel bloated just not good.
    And the foot! 😖
    I really should go for a ride and quit the feeling sorry for myself 😐

• skippygirlsmom
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom @katharmonic Thanks,
    I have garmin that syncs to mfp, so mfp uses that to calculate the exercise calories it gives me.
    I haven’t really changed much, and the weight has started creeping up about I guess the last couple of months or so.
    Like I said, I have been eating more but then I’ve also increase the miles, so I should maintain at the very least. I’ll start with eating only half those back and see but I know I haven’t been eating all of them or maybe I have and am miscalculating..
    Ugh who knows. Don’t really feel bloated just not good.
    And the foot! 😖
    I really should go for a ride and quit the feeling sorry for myself 😐

HHMM so you know that the exercise calories is correct, I really thought that would be it. Are you eating more carbs or something than you normally would? You might also be holding on to more water if you are increasing your runs.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all, chatty today.

@rheddmobile your story have me the heebies. One of my big fears while tramping would be getting lost like thay. I definitely prefer to know where I am! But awesome adventure!

Went for my 5k easy run - so aiming for 8min/k. I failed at that but did manage to average 7:10 by cheating lol. I was closer to 6:50 then walked the last 400m haha.

Monday today, so I have work. Been a lovely weekend.
    today at 4om our government announces if we will be easing on the restrictions. Currently we cannot go anywhere or do anything, except supermarkets/service stations/healthcare and exercise in our own neighbourhood - we call this level 4 lock down.

At level 3 people can go to local parks, beaches etc but need to stay close to home, and takeaways will be open. Also online shopping will be open. There is talk schools will open for children of essential workers only.

So we know today at 4pm if we can go to this level. Honestly I'm nervous. It won't make a huge change, but I worry about it spreading again. I personally think we should lock down for a further 2 weeks. I know, it sucks, and is so hard but it's working. Our new cases are fewer than 20,but it takes just one to start something. And maybe I'm selfish, our area hasn't had any cases in 20 days, and if we lift restrictions, it will bring new people in, potentially carying it.

We are ready to handle it, I know that. We weren't a month ago. I guess I'm just afraid, at work we finally have a sense of control, and certainty and this will go when we go down.

Tough decision and I'm glad I'm not the Prime Minister.
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That poison ivy sounds awful! I hope it heals quickly.

@katharmonic Glad you had a good run today. Hope Stella is okay.

@shanaber How is Hobbes?

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    @Scott6255 amazing what a difference a day can make in a run, great pace. Our Fleet Feet is doing fittings via FaceTime and then have curbside pick up. I always buy Brooks Launch so I can’t remember the last time I did a fitting.

@Teresa502 I had to run out for something quick yesterday and was shocked at the number of people just strolling along in the stores like nothing was going on. I was like just my couple of things and get out.

@Avidkeo I have to agree with you, we are not out of the woods people. Our Lt. Governor did a press conference and was like let’s open all the small stores now, let’s open nail salons, tattoo parlors, hair places, restaurants. I was staring at him with my mouth open and then he said and on 5/11 we should have little league because that will make people happy. Yeah until we need to shut down again. Give it a few more weeks. Though I do believe if I can buy shoes at WalMart I should be able to buy them at Fleet Feet or Academy or whatever.

@shanaber sorry the runs haven’t been feeling good, but glad you had a good one. I know that is so frustrating. Is the Garmin telling you your heartrate? Mine told me yesterday’s run was like 105? No way, it’s also been giving me calories counts of like 120 to 185 for 3 mile runs….um no

@rheddmobile Oh my gosh what a run! I always think about being out there at night. Speaking of poison ivy, ugh I got some in the back yard. It’s so bad on my arm Skip keeping telling me it’s skin eating bacteria. It’s really bad, what made it worse was I was cutting trees down and it seems (to the doctor) that the oil got right into the cut, therefore my arm got infected. I won’t post a picture it’s so awful, most of my forearm is purple with pealing skin. I’m taking steroids and antibotics. What a mess. I was never allergic to it before and about 5 years ago I got it really bad, like 4 steroid shots to try and get it to go away, I was covered.

@marisap2010 or hell no on your animal friend. I try to live with the thought that they are never ever on any trail I run ever.

@hamsterwheel6 how are you getting your exercise calories, do you have a tracker or are you depending on what MFP is telling you? MFP always gives me like double what my Garmin tells me for the same exercise. If I burn 200 calories I usually only eat 50% of them back. You might be having a calories burn issue.

Okay so I’m pissed at my Garmin APP, at least I think it’s the APP. I upgraded the APP and lost all my “records” etc. I ran at 14:52 pace yesterday and it say “yeah new 1 mile PR” ha ha!!!

Yup, Garmin’s latest upgrade had it giving me new records for various distances - records well below what I had recorded previously, however, it was only the watch that said that. The website still has my actual records so the data’s is not lost.
  • skippygirlsmom
    Options
    Thanks @quilteryoyo it's really not been fun, it's on my stomach too, that just doesn't look or feel as bad. I called the teledoc and we were on video and she said let me see and she went "yuck, ew, that looks like it hurts" ha ha

@Contrarymarymary thanks - I didn't look at my app it just came up on the phone. Thanks!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Hahaha. It's always fun when the doctor says "yuck."
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options

Yup, Garmin’s latest upgrade had it giving me new records for various distances - records well below what I had recorded previously, however, it was only the watch that said that. The website still has my actual records so the data’s is not lost.

Garmin record keeping is annoying. On my profile it says my longest run is 12k. I've run several runs longer than that, including a 19k run just last week. But my public profile still says 12k and I can't figure out how to change it.

I just ignore it...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I’m feeling bummed out. I’ve gained 4lbs and for many it might seem not much, but in my small short frame, I can tell. I don’t get it as I’ve been ruining, more miles in fact. I have been eating more, but not more than mfp + exercise calories.

Things to check...

1) I have noticed that occasionally MFP counts exercise twice. Double-check your entries and make sure that is not happening. I have not figured out why/pattern or anything yet. Just occasionally I look and I have an entry doubled. (I too use a Garmin, just as you said you do)

2) Make sure you have not gotten a bit lazy or sloppy in your portion control. If you grab a little extra, make sure you are still recording that. I think human nature is for us to get less precise with time

3) Check your macros - is your diet composition still about the same? If your macros are changed your daily calorie intact might have to change to match that

4) What about your non-exercising time? Are you less active than you were? Esply during this lockdown?

5) I know nothing about this being biologically (and in all ways) male, but is it related to your cycle? I am told some woman retain water during parts of it.

All that being said, you probably just need to adjust your non-exercise calorie count down a little and carry on. That is my best guess right now.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Garmin record keeping is annoying. On my profile it says my longest run is 12k. I've run several runs longer than that, including a 19k run just last week. But my public profile still says 12k and I can't figure out how to change it.

I just ignore it...

Yeah, I use Garmin's App only as a central information dispersion hub. My watch tracks all things and sends to Garmin, then Garmin sends it out to tall the places I need it. I use Strava for actual information mining, Final Surge to communicate with my coach, MFP for food/etc, and so on. Not really a fan of the Garmin app beyond that.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Speaking of poison ivy, ugh I got some in the back yard. It’s so bad on my arm Skip keeping telling me it’s skin eating bacteria. It’s really bad, what made it worse was I was cutting trees down and it seems (to the doctor) that the oil got right into the cut, therefore my arm got infected. I won’t post a picture it’s so awful, most of my forearm is purple with pealing skin. I’m taking steroids and antibotics. What a mess. I was never allergic to it before and about 5 years ago I got it really bad, like 4 steroid shots to try and get it to go away, I was covered.

Oh no! I suppose cutting off the arm and growing a new one is not really an option? Cause that sounds better!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    SUNDAY UPDATE - Pastor Vincent vs Boston!

For those new/or with short memories I recently hired a coach to help me run faster - with the goal of a BQ in 2021. It is probably an unrealistic goal, but I am not getting any younger, so going for it. Several people asked to be updated on what the coach has in for me so I post each week what the coach's plan was, and what I actually did.

So here we go:

DAY :::: PLAN :::: ACTUAL
    Monday :::: 8 miles :::: Rest day - do not remember why
    Tuesday :::: Rest Day ::::: 10 miles
    Wednesday :::: 10 miles:::: 10 miles
    Thursday :::: 10 miles + hill repears :::: 10 miles
    Friday :::: Rest Day ::::: 1 hr Cross Train
    Saturday ::::: 18 miles :::: walked 7 miles
    Sunday ::::: 6 miles ::::: 18 miles

Total Miles: 55 out of 52 planned

So I do not remember what happened on Monday that I missed my run, but I did pretty good the rest of the week. I skipped the hill repeats because my arthritis was flaring for some unknown reason. Saturday was somewhat nice and under this lockdown, I have not been able to take my wife out on a date in weeks, so we went for a walk together, with 764 feet of elevation! So I am counting that as my "easy 6 miles" that I was supposed to do on Sunday which makes me pretty close to on plan this week.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    okay, thread... something y'all might need to be thinking about. I notice that some of you go through periods where you can not run, and you back off and then suddenly can run again. I SUSPECT that some of you are not allowing for enough recovery. There is a way to check this. Most of us wear a Fitbit, Garmin, or other wrist-based heart rate tracker full time. This is a good thing, assuming you are wearing it properly of course.

Start looking at the graph of your RESTING HEART RATE. If you see that it is climbing and not coming back down then you are not fully recovered and you need to think about tossing in a rest day or other change to your training. Now your resting HR will vary some, but only like a few BPM. If it is like say 7 more than normal, skip your run that day. :)

It is a trailing indicator in that its a day behind, but it can tell you if you are allowing enough recovery time.

I am not a doctor, and I have never played one on TV, so buyer beware, YMMV and none of this applies in Nebraska of course.