WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    not much time to comment, but carrots - so I dice them small and add them to any "salad" sandwich filling like tuna or egg salad... my mom always added carrot and celery, chopped very small, it stretches your budget and adds veggies

kim in N. cal
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Kate UK - I love a carrot and swede puree, or you can mix it with mashed potato as well. It freezes perfectly so you can make a big batch. Delicious with sausages, or a stew. I also like it with salmon. :D
    I keep carrots for ages in the fridge. I make a lot of stews in my Instant Pot so carrot, onion, garlic and celery always go in those to start them off. Occasionally I nibble on a carrot around 5pm. :p

DH has recovered his equilibrium. He has done two short questionnaires for the kids for tomorrow morning. Then we listened to the songs our singing teacher has sent us. We will give them a good blast tomorrow afternoon.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,036 Member
    Options
    My ex used to make gingered carrots. They were chopped into small circles and boiled with ginger and honey. Lots of sugar, but tastes great!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I did reach out to Rori, and she's reading our posts, but handling some interesting issues - neighbor upstairs had a minor fire in their utility room, and long story short, her gas furnace and water heater are off until repairs are made, hopefully today. She will stop back in soon, I'm sure.

Thanks, KJ and Katla, for the comments on the painting, and KJ, yes, $48,000. That will only cover mailing to one tenth of our girls, those who don't have internet access. The 48K includes developing the resource, printing, packing and mailing packets of about 20 to 30 pages once a month for four months. May have underestimated it slightly, in fact.

But, I'm getting really tired of introspection--as I've said to someone before, I simply have to decide what hill I'm willing to die on, and there are bigger things at work than the current issues.

So that's me,
    Lisa,
    Breathing deeply in Arkansas, finding what peace there may be in the fact that my husband's in the kitchen noisily separating meat packets and vacuum bagging tthem into single meal portions to freeze. There are definite signs that the country's meat supply is going to be rudely interrupted, and reasonably soon. Not hoarding, just preparing.
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for carroty ideas 😀😀

KateUK
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    spikeyhair wrote: »
    Thanks all for carroty ideas 😀😀

KateUK

I love roasted carrots with olive oil and salt. I eat them as snack.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,530 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

Bike ride home 2 sumner station, forgot to turn strava on until 1.35mi had passed- 55min, est, 14.7amph, 13.22mi= 488c
    apple watch- 504c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 4.57min, 9.23min mi, 146mhr, .52mi= 52c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.19min, 143mhr, 9.42min mi, .44mi= 42c
    apple watch- 88c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.38min, 144mhr, 8.3amph, 2.57mi= 171c
    apple watch- 144c

total cal 793
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    <3
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    So far food is readily available. We like to shop sales when possible and look for good meats & veggies. I plan to plant green beans in the next week or so. 🥦🥕🥒🥬🍆
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options

Did Elle Glam Fitness Complete Cardio Workout DVD. I don’t think I’ll keep this one. Too dancey. I’m just not into an entire DVD that is nothing but dance. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Barry’s Boot Camp DVD.

SuziQ – I know Vince is always afraid that the cat will hit the “send” button after typing a full line of something like “zzzzzzz”. Last night I was playing mahongg on my tablet and Lexi came right up in front of me as if she were saying “leave that stupid game alone and give me attention”. Cats, they can be so funny

Kylia – my heart is breaking for you and your family. It’s interesting, when I was little I was a voracious reader. I think I read all the Nancy Drew books. But now I’m not a big reader at all. I do like getting most of my books on my tablet, tho

Finished weaving in the ends of the c2c that I made. Now I’m working on a mask. Getting the directions from uTube. I like that there’s someplace for a filter.

We sent PJ’s birthday present yesterday. It was $18. But these were things that I’d bought thinking we’d be going up there but now we’re not. I also ordered the car seat and having it shipped there.

Tracey – why isn’t the nursing home accepting packages? I can see they maybe not giving them to the person for a week, but not accepting them at all? I would think that a package would cheer them up. Why not send her something from Amazon? Why will they accept Amazon but not a personal package?

Julie – I find that if I have milk chocolate, I have a craving for more. But dark chocolate seems to fill me up

Went for a small walk yesterday. Today Vince promised we’d trim the trees

Lisa – are you in touch with Rori? Is anyone? How is she doing? Update: thanks for the update

Barbara – In a way, I hope there is a distance between people at a gym. I’ve always said that the machines were too close to each other. Thank you for your concern. My back is much better today. I suspect it might have been the weather.

Bananas – IP = Instant Pot. To me, another advantage to the IP is the fact that you can cook frozen meat in it.

Rita – I’m glad you posted those pics of weeds. We had the purple ones in our backyard and I thought they were so pretty. I figured they had to be a weed because I didn’t kill them…lol I'd love to know what they're called.

For those who go long times between grocery shopping (one person I thought of was Barbie) – what do you do about buying milk? I have to go to the store tomorrow because Vince is out of milk. If it weren’t for that, I wouldn’t be going

Sharon – which Mahjongg do you play? I play the game Real Mahjongg

Well, we trimmed the trees today. Called the recycling place and if I brought the papers I have (about 6 boxes full), I can take them there for recycling. I just may do that because by the time I can put them in the recycling bin (they only pick up once every 2 weeks), it’ll be months before they all are recycled. In the meantime, I’d like to use some of those boxes for the Salvation Army donations since they aren’t in real good condition and they are smaller (good for books and toys)

Margaret – I’m sorry to hear this about your niece

Talk about weird. The bridge they just put in came out while I was eating a hard carrot. Guess I need to cut it up rather than eating it whole. I’ll call the dentist tomorrow to see if they can put it back in.

Finished the mask. I have a feeling it'll be too warm for summertime but OK in wintertime.

Michele NC
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Michelle- it doesn’t make sense to me either why they’ll accept mail or Amazon but not from our homes but that’s the way it is. I have a FaceTime scheduled for Friday evening. I haven’t sent from Amazon because the last couple things I’ve ordered took forever to get here

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    @Rebecca the chicken stock looks great. I am no good even with less sweet trail mix. If you wanted to keep some you could possibly keep in the freezer, possibly in individual containers(bags, or other containers).

@Amber i like the zigzag suggestion in the calorie calculator you posted.

@Katla thanks for explaining what an IP is.

@Sharon thats an english lanuage news site. in addition to articles they have the weekly video on confinement update.

@Heather i find the metaphor in the article you cited about not all being in the same boat but all being in vastly different types of boats on rough seas very apt.

@Michele not a big fan of milk chocolate. I find it doesn't 'hit the spot". Im actually enjoying this 100% chocolate. 10 or 20g usually does the trick.

I go to grocery store at least 1x a week to top up on fresh veggies and fruit. I don't drink milk.