WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Kate I love carrots. If you don't but like juice and have a juicer that uses them up fast (several carrots for a glass of juice). Carrot sticks as quick thing to nosh on. Carrots w tahini. thin slices (or curls use a potato peeler) and put in sandwich like salad (tahini carrot sandwich). I like the curls made with peels as they are prettier than grated in my book for salads. Roast carrots in oven: sweet.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    grateful: slept pretty well, able to walk, very open view from window and balcony
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,244 Member
    Options
    My Kindle almost gave up the ghost last night. I was downloading 'Olive Again' and it stuttered to a halt and then wouldn't do anything. It took me several goes to restart it, but eventually it played ball and I was able to read my book. It's the first fiction I've read for a month. I find myself reading non fiction more often these days.

I've been looking for up to date info on Brighton and Hove new infection rates. Surprisingly hard to come by, but, by delving around, it looks as if there haven't been any new recorded cases in the last day or so. That's just for hospitals, of course. Care homes I assume much higher. I can't get any info on the testing site they have set up at the football ground. That would be hugely helpful to know how many positives from those who present themselves as not feeling well.

We are Zooming the kids today, so will probably discuss with my son how to handle the "picnic" on Saturday. They, and we, have been isolating for 5 weeks, apart from essential shopping, but we will still over-distance and not share objects. They are bringing their own food etc. and we will, leave tables and chairs out in the sun and rain after they've gone. It will just be lovely to see them after so long.
    If I knew the transmission rates locally (they should be testing the symptom free) it would help with these kinds of decisions. There will be more danger once things are opening up, like schools.

Anyway, something to look forward to.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    And just so y'all know my cheese hasn't completely slipped off my cracker
    Lisa, darling! :heart: Your unpredictable colloquialisms often make my day. :joy:
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    The non management staff has been picketing – virtually. It’s pretty funny to see how a bunch of tech literate 20 year olds picket. They hacked the zoom board meeting and popped in and out with hand made signs…
    Kim — This image also tickled me no end... as I sit here, not-quite-hearing the highly contentious Zoom board meeting my husband is currently on.

I'm on p 114 but must stop reading for now.

/Penny, back soon at the
    t07190.gif
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    ❤️😘❤️😘❤️
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @SuziQ i enjoy your gratitude lists.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    Lisa I love your painting!
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Kylia - Prayers for all of you. Hugs!

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    B)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,356 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday Ladies!

Lisa - thank you for the Rori update. Rori, if you are reading this...(((( <3 HUGS <3 )))). What a PITA. :(

SuziQ - please, if you wish, continue your gratitude list. Because as I read it, I think about my own. <3 Love all the plants in your patio B) . What a special place!

Kylia - ((( <3 HUGS <3 )))) How old is your MIL?

Tracie - your granddaughter is a charmer.

Barbie - sounds like a successful shopping trip. :D I noticed the last time I was in Walmart, the shelves still were about half empty, but there generally was something I could use even if it wasn't my usual brand. I wonder if that will be the norm for a while.

Barbara - do your dogs get upset with the "booms"? Does Joe sleep through them? B) Sorry about the walnut shell! I tend to get those buggers stuck between my teeth.

Hey, it's end of the month. Nothing new to report on the weight thing other than I had a real long talk with myself and went back on IF a few days ago, aiming for 16 hr fasts each day. So far it's been pretty easy.

Dog-time, so gotta get going. Have a great day. B) This too shall pass.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,180 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Penny@theNorthPole: You put me to shame with that lovely bread. I have been meaning to make a sourdough starter for ages. Maybe now is the time. We went to a concert in Tromso Catedral. It was wonderful. I have some wonderful footage of sunset over the town. We had two days in Tromso on our first Norway cruise, so had lots of time to explore the town.
    Heather: You will love Alesund. The architecture is superb.
    ☘️ Irish Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,180 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Coffee or tea drinkers ... what's your preference? :grin:

Coffee = 1A ... or even darker than 1A.
    Tea = 1A ... although my teas are usually decaf, herbal varieties so they go a golden colour.

j3638gztkksp.png

Machka in Oz

Coffee 2D: I was raised in coffee made with milk. Choose not to break the habit completely.

Karen in VA: I 100%agree with your view on masks. I also believe we should do our utmost, not just what we are forced to do. We went into voluntary lockdown 10 days before it was made mandatory. It’s a no brainier in my eyes.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,244 Member
    Options
    Lisa - My DH has just gone out to buy tea bags as we've heard that the Indian supply chain is under strain. Pickers etc. We won't hoard, but tea is essential to my life. I think I could give up everything except tea. :D The only thing that has ever remotely come close is coca tea in Peru.

Our Zoom went on for 75 minutes of bouncing, crazy kids, one after the other. Phew! I think they enjoyed themselves. ;):p I was hungry and knackered by the end. :laugh:

Duck legs and roasted cauliflower tonight. I always put a few small potatoes around the legs for DH. Chipotle paste on the duck legs. Stewed apples and blackcurrant for dessert.

It's going to pour with rain so it's rowing for me this afternoon. I did some writing this morning. I was writing about my period pains, which were HORRIFIC when I was young. It really was just like having a baby every month. I would vomit and be bathed in a cold sweat. Couldn't stand up. Anyone else like that?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,569 Member
    Options
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lisa $48,000 is a bit steep for my budget. Reminds me of the time I signed up for $2 a lap for my granddaughter's swim team season opener fundraiser. The year before she swam 20 laps, so I thought $40-50 would be a generous donation. She swam 100 laps…

Agree w/Penny about your colloquialisms. So fun!

When my mother was alive, she had two sayings that helped her (and now me) with getting things in perspective & with letting go.
    One was, "Do everything reasonable to get the outcome you want. Then let go of the outcome. You've done what you can do."
    The other involved a little story, but the saying was, "No children will die." I've told the story before, but if anyone wants me to post it here, I will.

Your painting is truly wonderful. I love the colors.

>>>

Ginny Pickled carrots & jalapeños! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

About your mom - I am glad she had a good end. I recently posted that I am updating my Five Wishes document to address what I would like to have happen if, for any reason, I have to die alone without family nearby. My son said he would gather voice recordings, videos, pictures, etc. from all of the grandchildren for me & format them in a way that would be easy for overworked health care workers to display for me. So many are dying alone. Sweden…

I think your chore day was well spent catching up with your young friend. Something to cherish.

>>>

Sue Does buttercup spread by seed? Would Preen work, or is your place too big for that to be practical?

I love environmentally sound pest control practices like fly wasps. I learned about a bunch of them in Master Gardener class several years back, and it was so exciting to realize pesticides are not always necessary.

>>>

Katla Yes there is plenty of food. The problem isn't the amount of food, it's the disruption that occurs in the supply chain when people panic buy. If demand is not predictable due to panic buying, then the supply side can't keep up with the demand, the shelves are temporarily empty, and more panic ensues due to the empty shelves. It's possible the meat-packing crisis will affect the meat supply. If that happens, I'm fine being a pescatarian or a vegetarian for the time being or forever. I like all kinds of foods.

>>>

Michele That's weird about your bridge coming out. Hope you get it fixed pronto.

>>>

Heather So glad your Kindle rekindled.

stctslp2xgej.png

>>>

Penny and Kim I, too, was inordinately amused at the image of the young upstarts disrupting the ZOOM meeting with a virtual picket. How innovative and clever they were!

>>>

Suzi I like your gratitude lists. I'm planning to post some Savors and Gratitudes at the end of my post today.

>>>

Barbara Agreed about the walnut shell. Egg shell in scrambled eggs is no fun either.

>>>

Kylia I am so glad your husband will be able to see his mother before she dies. Glad for her and for him. Thinking of all of you as you go through this difficult time. I'm glad you have each other to lean on. (((Hugs)))

>>>

Savors from yesterday: Taste of a Strawberry Daiquiri made with fresh strawberries and limes.
    Smell of freshly cut grass as I mowed the lawn.
    Sight and Sound the Blue Heron on our pond.

Grateful for: Videos and pictures of my grandkids sent by their parents
    My new Telemedicine job, & for being able to schedule a few more shifts for May.
    Rain, which is softening the ground so I can plant, weed, and seed more easily.
    My John Deere lawn tractor, still running like a charm after many, many years.
    My partner who thinks I'm a good cook.
    My Yorkies Mabel and Molly who are so silly.

>>>

View from my window FB:

vel9kafwqc4w.png

>>>

Karen in Virginia