WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,732 Member
    Options
    Katla - I think your daughter is very smart to stay home. Her boss is quite the opposite in trying to get her to come in.

I am making some banana bread today for Hubby and I’m going to make extra to deliver to the Grands. I’m going to take some craft supplies to them as well. I will do a window visit for a couple of minutes.

It snowed here again last night and is still in the negatives. This might be easier if we could get outside a bit.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    In all the coronavirus news, I had missed that he died this week. Thank you, Karen.
    Lisa happy-birthday-trampoline-smiley-emoticon.gif

>>>

In memory of Bill Withers, I bring you Lean On Me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7P8wusL1Z0

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    yo peeps.

my resting heart rate lowered 2 points I found out... was 50, now 48, score!

Pip “lazy way” you? :noway: so you only rode 10 miles instead of 20? :smile: Resting heart rate proves it!
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Interesting Comment from a Lady Truck Driver...she said that many of the rest stops have been shut down as well as the truck stops. With this happening, it is very difficult for her and other drivers to be able to take restroom breaks and clean themselves up. I would never have thought of this and hope that the situation improves for them.
    Beth ~ I have been suffering from allergies really badly as well. I have taken so much medicine that I finally just stopped because for the most part it isn't helping. I do take Aleve and it helps my sinus headaches and my arthritis.

Carol in GA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did Yoga for Back Care DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Gimme Gimme Gimme DVD.

M – yes, we can go out to exercise. Also, I have over 200 exercise DVD’s, so I usually do one/day. It’s just that I’m so bored and I wind up eating out of boredom. Yes, that is me, the extrovert. Going crazy

Bananasandoranges – When Trump was at the Daytona 500, there were guys with machine guns right in front of where he was. I remember when we went to Paris there were guys walking around with machine guns. It IS a bit unnerving

Kylia – I’ve never seen a puzzle shaped like that. That’s really nice. I remember MIL used to do 3D puzzles, wonder if they make those any more?

Heard at the soup kitchen yesterday that the Salvation Army is just taking things to the dump.

Took everything out of my pantry and rearranged it. I now have alphabetized spices. He who laughs is just asking for a swift kick from me….lol We won’t even wait for Pip’s boot!! Vince said that this afternoon we’ll cut the grass.

Went to the post office. Vince had a few packages to mail and the grandson of one of the gals that I played mahjongg with on Mondays is into Star Wars. So I had some of these Star Wars tattoos that came in Cheerios boxes that I gave her. I don’t know when the next time I’ll see her is going to be so I sent them to her.

Pip – congrats on lowering you RHR!!!

You can count me in as one of the ones who want DST all year. This changing times is the pits!!!

Barbara – cool idea wearing bunny ears. That shouldn’t be hard to find this time of year. I agree, Denise’s invitees will take care of the issue. And if not…well, we won’t be there. That’s all. Not unless things really change (and I honestly don’t forsee it changing that soon). Verona crisis….ROTF

Why would the truck stops be shut down? I would think they’d be considered essential.

Off to cut the grass. Yea for going outside.

Does anyone have any idea how to really clean a frost-free freezer? Every time I go to wipe something, it freezes.

Michele NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Good morning, all. We are hanging in there.

I went into work yesterday because I had to exchange homework assignments at the prison. We were very good. I put my work in a box, stepped back, the DOC employee stepped forward and took my package and put in her package, and then stepped back. It was so good to see her!! We stood in the parking lot for almost 10 minutes, about 10 feet apart, chatting. I wanted updates on how my students are doing. It is rough for them in there. Always, but especially now. She said the employees are just trying to keep the panic level to a minimum. We do have two cases in the system now (not at our facility, thank God, yet), so she said it is pretty tense inside. :-(

My institution is loaning our Real-Time qPCR machine to a local rural-ish hospital so they will be able to run their own tests. My science faculty offered it a couple weeks ago, but, yesterday, the hospital decided to take them up on their offer. Makes me proud of my peeps. My scientist thinks her machine can run 40 tests in 3 hours, following CDC guidelines. Makes me so happy.

And then our governor announced that she is sending 140 ventilators to NYC. Can I say how much I love my state. <3.

Hubby and I will be making masks this weekend, not hospital grade, but good enough for us to use while we run around. Not that we run around much. I go out once a week to work. And one of us goes out once a week to grocery shop. He is currently doing that. Something he likes to do, that I don't necessarily enjoy doing. And it gives him a legitimate reason to get out, since we are both working from home.

I am purposefully not getting on the scale, but even though I am not hiking all over my work hill during the day, I don't think I've gained much. My clothes still feel the same, and I am not tempted to get my fancy coffees on my way to work. I've just been making my own coffee. Such a hardship. (sarcasm) Thankfully, hubby brought coffee back from Canada the last time he was there (Tim Horton's!) and my mom gave me Starbucks coffee for Christmas, so I should have plenty to last me for another month or two.

After my mom's mini-stroke scare a few weeks ago, she seems to be doing fine. She's been sheltering in place since this thing started in Washington state. I admire her so much. She is an extrovert, too, so I know this is tough, but she messages people on Facebook messenger, calls her friends every few days, and I call her every day. so she is staying connected. When her neighbors walk their dog, they come to the bottom of her stairs and chat for a few minutes.

Barbara -- loved the Covid 19/Romeo & Juliet joke.

Much love to all. Stay safe.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, OR

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Barbara - regarding Fire Cider, that recipe link you posted looks great. I had looked at many recipes and decided to throw in everything but the kitchen sink. So in addition to the horseradish, garlic, onion, ginger...a quartered unpeeled lemon. Cinnamon stick. Tablespoon of dried turmeric. A teaspoon of whole peppercorns. I hesitated on adding dried chili's just because and substituted 2 small cut up jalapenos with seeds.

But after reading the ME News recipe, I decided maybe 1/4 teaspoon of dried chili flakes wouldn't hurt. Just unscrewed the lid and dropped them in. HOLY MACKEREL it's only been a day and the fumes made my nose run, lol. B) YES!!

Bet you could use jarred horseradish, why not? I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it. >:)

I've been poking around in my "collection" to see what I have that I could make masks out of. Lots of bandanas, fabric, no elastic...what little bit I did have was brittle from age. BUT I have plenty of knee high nylons. I sliced some into circles like calamari, lol. 1". Perfect soft elastic. I'll keep looking at patterns. Might as well have some fun with this. :D

Rebecca
    - where did you get the masks you and Lee wear? Those were really cute!

All of you with allergies have my utmost sympathy! ;)

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Barbara SOC -
    The 1st time my Moms side met my Dad family- my Aunt y moms family was 😳 Shocked they weren’t fully white !!! So attacked my family for being brown y some white looking. Then at 4yrs old the racist comments towards me began. They are behind running off my Moms 1st boyfriend (he was a loser anyways) then kidnapping from my Moms womb of my twin brothers during a more racist time giving them (twin boys half blk/half white born in 1971 Union City Indiana on the hottest day of that year) .Me being mixed race y my kids y my Dad is an embarrassment to them.They belong to a racist churches (fake ones wolves in sheep’s clothing type churches) I found a KKyou know robes in my now dead step grandfathers trunk by his bed who knows what theirs teach of his taught that. They hate us for not being white y embarrassing the family for our race. I can’t fix that theirs no pill to take to erase my heritage. They can lump it. As I got older their dirty dark secrets came out I won’t lie. I refuse to lie. When a cousin asked if I’m sad I never had any siblings...I simply stated I do have siblings just can’t find them told them all the details. They hugged me said they love me even tho I’m not white they found out I was being made to lay on a dirty floor with no bed a small blanket during my stay so they snuck me into their beds tried to protect me from adults like they always did.I walked the streets of Ohio y Indiana looking for them at 14yrs old got so close then dead end. The place the doctor illegally took them out of my moms womb was either a house or Buisness mom described a Buisness (her having been born with a form of mental retardation it was hard to get every fact). I know a truck was used she was held down then all the dirty details including no hospital after just held hostage in a basement of her family home to heal in pain alone. If anyone should be mad it’s me..not my Aunt who helped do this. I confronted my grandma,step grandpa,y Aunts about it -my Aunts did not apologize,but my grandparents fell voiced their regrets how they stopped going to those churches made my Aunts stop going to theirs (1 still went,but her kids are sweet stopped going the minute they could hop in a friends car or play sick) after my birth made them question their racism. They couldn’t help but love me question everything they were ever taught in life. My Aunt who died didn’t apologize but she tried to make things right toward me after I voiced it to her why it was wrong. She apologized for ever hurting me has been there for me ever since even to tell me how to cook a certain item or to just talk. The last Aunt involved well she will always attack never change will answer to a higher power for it someday. (I have 2 left but 1 wasn’t involved would have stopped it always protected me best she could never has attended a bad church couldn’t hurt a fly or be embarrassed by what others think). They stole a lot from me but I forgave them for it..that really got in her crawl the fact I could forgive her. She didn’t want forgiveness in her mind she did nothing wrong I’m sure or she feels throwing money at it fixes it who needs words attitude. I never asked for money only kindness. Money 💵 isn’t worth anything in my world. Love is the only currency. I still forgive her even now always will. They didn’t even come see my Mom on her death bed. I forgave them for that. When she came to take all my Moms belongings she felt was hers ! I refused to give it y still forgave her broke bread for weeks at the same table. I don’t know how much more I can forgive but I will because I love my Cousins y understand my Aunts in her 80’s well grew up in a different time hasn’t changed. If I find my twin brother I always hope they’ll forgive what was done,but understand if they can not. They probably think my Mom gave them up or that they were abandoned somewhere or that their adopted mom is their real one. I even apologized for snapping at her when she called me fat to a bad mom for hours. She didn’t,I always apologize. You would think with this pandemic they would want to make amends this is the time to do it.

Amber Tx

CDC got military to show How to make a face mask out of everyday items

Michele NC- hot bucket with rag wet wipe to melt where your wiping then with a 2nd towel dry it up.You will have some freeze that’s not a bad thing at all. If no food in it can unplug let melt wipe wash wipe plug in to have zero frozen
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,446 Member
    Options
    Barbara - regarding Fire Cider, that recipe link you posted looks great. I had looked at many recipes and decided to throw in everything but the kitchen sink. So in addition to the horseradish, garlic, onion, ginger...a quartered unpeeled lemon. Cinnamon stick. Tablespoon of dried turmeric. A teaspoon of whole peppercorns. I hesitated on adding dried chili's just because and substituted 2 small cut up jalapenos with seeds.

But after reading the ME News recipe, I decided maybe 1/4 teaspoon of dried chili flakes wouldn't hurt. Just unscrewed the lid and dropped them in. HOLY MACKEREL it's only been a day and the fumes made my nose run, lol. B) YES!!

Bet you could use jarred horseradish, why not? I'm starting to sweat just thinking about it. >:)

I've been poking around in my "collection" to see what I have that I could make masks out of. Lots of bandanas, fabric, no elastic...what little bit I did have was brittle from age. BUT I have plenty of knee high nylons. I sliced some into circles like calamari, lol. 1". Perfect soft elastic. I'll keep looking at patterns. Might as well have some fun with this. :D

Rebecca
    - where did you get the masks you and Lee wear? Those were really cute!

All of you with allergies have my utmost sympathy! ;)

Lanette
    SW WA State

The masks are just covers from my son when he rides with his scooter helmet. Its not really a mask but a cover. It felt like a mask though! My poor husbands glasses kept steaming up!😁
    💖Rebecca
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Rebecca great idea about the helmet. I have the same problem with glasses when I wear my mask. I tried putting a bit of dish soap but that made them streaky. I like to protect my eyes too. You just gave me the ideas to try rain X. I have a bottle I have had for years I don't know if it is any good but I will give it a try.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,532 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    yo peeps.

my resting heart rate lowered 2 points I found out... was 50, now 48, score!

Pip “lazy way” you? :noway: so you only rode 10 miles instead of 20? :smile: Resting heart rate proves it!

I'll do a good ride to make up for it today (on the trainer)
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Rebecca great idea about the helmet. I have the same problem with glasses when I wear my mask. I tried putting a bit of dish soap but that made them streaky. I like to protect my eyes too. You just gave me the ideas to try rain X. I have a bottle I have had for years I don't know if it is any good but I will give it a try.

Margaret - one of the mask patterns I saw had a straightened paperclip inserted in the top seam under the eyes, then bent down across the bridge of the nose by the wearer to keep the top part of the mask kind of sealed against the face below the eyes. It keeps warm moist breath from coming up to your glasses and fogging them.

The paper masks I got from the doc's office have a thin piece of metal that does the job. Would something like a paperclip work in your case?

I can see having the same problem. Good luck!

Lanette
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,693 Member
    Options
    just did a wonderful guided meditation~ feel light as air xoxo
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    My sister sews a bread tie across the nose of her masks.
    Annie in Delaware
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    Options
    Lanette I'll try that too. Thanks. I know I need a better seal.