Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Good morning y’all.
    Debby in Va
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    And this is similar to our Gratitude Calendar that we've done in Novembers.

Coping Calendar: Keep Calm. Stay Wise. Be Kind.

pivyc8y01ncs.png
    1. Make a plan to help you keep calm and stay in contact.

Part of my plan is to stay home more days each week. I'm getting stuff done, spending time with my husband, and avoiding the crowds. :)

Today I'm particularly happy because I've been able to spend the whole day at home getting a bit of extra rest, listening to classical music on ABC, and working on my uni homework while my husband has been busy doing stuff in the kitchen.

In a hour and a half or so, I'll go downstairs to exercise. We would go outside, but it has been a rainy day so we've been cozy inside.

2. Enjoy washing your hands. Remember all they do for you.

They do a lot of typing ...which reminds me that I should also wipe down my keyboard more regularly. But I do actually like washing my hands. With my hot flashes, and with exercise, my hands are often quite damp. Washing with soap dries them up a little.

Last weekend I also did my nails with 5 different pastel colours of gel nailpolish. :)

3. Write down 10 things you feel grateful for and why.

10 Things

1. My comfortable home with its garden and view of the bay.
    2. My husband and the fact that, despite the severity of his brain injury, he has made a "remarkable recovery".
    3. The support of my parents even over long distances.
    4. University ... which is keeping me occupied.
    5. Work ... which is keeping me occupied.
    6. Cycling ... which keeps me fit.
    7. Music ... which I've been listening to a lot.
    8. Internet ... with which I keep connected.
    9. New audio visual system which is keeping us entertained.
    10. God ... who is still in control.

4. Stay hydrated, eat healthy food, and boost your immune system.

I have to drink a lot of water to keep my kidneys in good shape. I do try to eat a fairly healthy diet as well. :)

5. Get active. Even if you're stuck indoors, move and stretch.

Absolutely!! Every day! On that note, I'm up to 352 flights of stairs in March. Each flight is 20 stairs.

6. Contact a neighbour or friend and offer to help them.

We don't see much of our neighbours, but do kind of watch out for one.

And right now my work colleagues (and friends) and I are helping each other move home.

7. Share what you are feeling and be willing to ask for help.

What am I feeling. It's a real mix. I'm happy I'm working from home and taking uni online. But this week I've been fighting back tears from time to time. Moving home made it real.

Our lives have changed and the changes will keep coming for months ahead.

Also, the beginning of the week (Mar 22) was the 2-year anniversary of my husband's accident so ... memories.

8. Take 5 minutes to sit and breathe. Repeat regularly.

I'll do that tomorrow, I think.

It's Friday night and this week has been a little overwhelming. Last weekend I was madly working on an assignment. Submitted it on Monday + intense week at work.

A good night's sleep and I'll be able to breathe a little bit more in the morning. :)

9. Call a loved one to catch up and really listen to them.

I'm not good at calling people ... a little bit of a phone phobia. But I email lots! :)

March 30
    10. Get good sleep. No screens?? Well some nights I read a paper book. I am working on getting more sleep and better sleep, but lately I've been tense at night again.

March 31
    11. Notice 5 things that are beautiful in the world around me. That's easy!!
    • Rhody
    • Roses ... and BTW, Rhody is the Greek word for Rose :)
    • The beach
    • The waves crashing against the rocks
    • Green ... nature

April 1
    12. Immerse yourself in a new book, TV show or podcast.

I don't do podcasts and the TV shows I watch are "old" ... but I have started a new-to-me book. :)

April 2
    13. Respond positively to everyone you interact with.

Today has been a good day for that. We nipped out to get a few things this afternoon and talked pleasantly to the checkout people. :)

April 3
    14. Play a game that you enjoyed when you were younger.

I haven't done this yet, but I think I will pause and play some majong shortly. :)

I did go cycling yesterday and that's been a game I've enjoyed for ages. :)

April 4
    15. Make some progress on a project that matters to you.

I have done some of this, in a way. Today I've been tidying, organising and cleaning. My home office area (in the dining room) looks a lot better (not quite so cluttered) and I've cleared a spot so that Rhody can sit beside me.

I've been busy catching up on a lot of things so I can start my week a little more prepared.

Machka in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Good morning/evening! <3

Lisa- belated Happy Birthday. And I know I overlooked at least a couple of you who also had birthdays recently. Happy belated to you as well! B)<3

Machka - that quarantine time extrovert/introvert behavior animation was super cute :D .

Did my shopping yesterday morning.... that's done for a week. Walmart was quite zoo-like even tho not very busy, they are doing what they can to enforce social distancing (finally).

Despite shots and Zyrtec, allergies are kicking my tush, achy sinuses, slightly sore throat at times, achy ears. No temperature, no coughing. Welcome spring and potting soil :s

Made a batch of Fire Cider yesterday, I should have done it weeks ago. Does anyone here make it? Grated horseradish, ginger, chopped onion & jalapeno, lots of smashed garlic, a few other things in a quart jar then covered with apple cider vinegar and left to sit for a month. Strain it well, add some honey to the liquid and there you go. I haven't tried it before, but if it's tolerable I'll aim to keep some on hand.

In the meantime, I'm eating store-bought kim chee which drains my sinuses quite nicely. B)

Regarding masks
    - looks like they are now recommended but not required around here. I have several paper masks I can wear to the store, (not N-95) I picked up at the doc's office a while back. I plan to reuse them if they are only worn briefly (not all slobbery!) and hit them hard with the steam iron when I get back from the store.

Off to the races. Wishing everyone a healthy weekend! <3

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,918 Member
    Options
    :) I am still laughing at the introvert/extrovert and the roomba and swiffer curling. I was able to save them and text or email them to several friends who will enjoy them.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    My friend has made me one and it's in the mail.. and I will use it for when I go out... and if needed will bring in and hand wash.....
    Laundry in dryer and watching Fixer upper.. and little house on the prairie
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,844 Member
    Options
    “bananasandoranges Member
    April 2, 2020 11:56AM

@kevrit that kept bread sounds good, is it possible to make it without a microwave--in the oven or on the stove? i guess so if it worked in the waffle maker. sounds egg-y. surprising for the mayonnaise. i'm curious to try. looks delicious!”

Yes, you can make it in an oven. I use the microwave because my camper oven is too small and used for storage right now! Lol

RvRita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Snowflake: Every state has the power to create and enforce its own public safety rules. Oregon’s governor has closed schools, restaurants and "nonessential" businesses. The theater here is closed. The beauty shops are closed, and so forth. Grocery stores, pharmacies and gas stations are open. DD lives in Illinois. I don’t know what rules their governor has set in place. DD has tested positive and is refusing to go in to work. She is feeling pretty good but still has active symptoms. She is doing the right thing by staying home. :star:

Machka: We are also allowed to go walking & bike riding as much as we like, but we’re encouraged to maintain safe social distances from other people. I will very likely take the dog for a good walk today. The weather is lovely, so far. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: Happy 60th birthday!!! :heart:

Kylia: I love the view from your window! My "face" is the sunrise view from my window. We're both lucky. :star:

No masks are available for sale near me & we don’t own any. They’re available for first responders and people in the medical field. Grocery stores, pharmacies, & gas stations are open, and almost everything else is closed. Restaurants can give window or curbside delivery of food, but no sit down inside the building for customers. Most restaurants are closed. Seniors get early morning preference in grocery stores from 8 am to 10 am.

I’ve been sitting on my backside and reading quite a bit. I’ve also taken the dog for walks in the neighborhood. DH has a list of autoimmune challenges and he stays home.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon