WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Hello everyone.

I have been adding to my To Do list as I have been thinking of things I have been wanting to get done. Right now I have enough to keep me busy for at least two months. I hope I can still pick up paint at Home Depot. According to the latest news our Governor may decide essential businesses will only be able to sell essentials such as food, toiletries, or prescriptions to the general population. There are many here going out to buy clothes at places such as Target or Walmartians (yes, intentional) and not anything else. My next outing may be on Friday and I have a few items I need to pick up for repairs – so I may pick up paint too. Painting would keep me busy during the weekends, but it is not a need so may skip the whole idea.

Machka – Thank you for the video conferencing tips. We have not yet been forced to video chat, but those days may be coming. Some are sharing their faces. I happen to be one who prefers to be behind not in front of the camera. I am with you with the embracing of this moment in time. How many times have we thought, “I wish I had time to do this or that.”? I am working on my To Do list and keep adding more little projects. My house is getting very organized and deeply cleaned.

JanetR – I am so happy your daughter has been able to move in to her own place and is close to you. It has got to be such a load off of your mind. Sending prayers.

Rebecca – Sorry to hear your son is MIA again. I thought you were able to speak to him a few months ago? Or maybe you receive texts? I think you may have to fall back upon the old saying, “No news is good news”? Although I know you want to hear from him, maybe it is too much for him to contact his mom. I imagine it makes him feel homesick; especially speaking with mom. Is he keeping in touch with your husband?

Heather – Trout is my favorite fresh-water fish. On my next run I will look for it. We usually cannot find fresh here in SFL only smoked. It will still be a treat. I am so happy your family has embraced technology and are making the best of it. Congratulations to Bea and her first official bike ride!

Beth – Glad to hear the vertigo subsided. Powdered sugar! LOL.

Barbie – The bread picture made my mouth water. I did pick up some yeast and bread flour during my last supply run. I am saving my first bread-making attempt for a rainy weekend.

Margaret – I love your abstract painting.

Luci – My FB friends are supplying most of the cartoons. I scan daily for good ones to share here.

Kim – You are such an inspiration. What a creative (and tiring) way to support the gardening community/group. You must be exhausted! Great news regarding your cousin – what a relief!

Sharon – You brought fond memories up with the second grade Lima bean project. Believe it or not during my last stock up I bought frozen Lima beans and had them last night for dinner. Your post got me craving them.

Ginny – I am finding sticking to a normal routine is greatly helping me. My outfit consists of shorts and a shirt and I am finding it’s a nice break from ironing and being presentable for the office. I have been using my commute time to complete a small household chore. It is great you are letting staff members make masks – I agree it helps them feel productive and also allows them to feel they are contributing to the group.

Rori – I am so sorry about your sister. Is there any way she can find a support group or counselor? Many are meeting online and/or via conference calls.

Karen – I am so happy you are adapting to the new job. I am “thinking” I may see how silver I am since I will not be able to get to the salon for a while. My grey is silver too and I keep thinking I would love the Jaime Lee Curtis look. I am just not sure there are enough grey yet. The last time I attempted to go natural it was still too patchy to fully embrace.

Carol – I am finding writing out my grateful list has help me remain happy and positive. I think I am going to have to try Instacart because I simply cannot find TP anywhere. I have been conserving as much as possible but am getting really low!

Lanette – Dexter – ROTFLMAO! Yes, it is the new fashion statement! And, the Do Not Enter! Love the exceptions. I would open my door to those firefighters too!

Lisa – Oh, sweet baby Levi.

Luci – I may look in to the weighted blanket. I would probably have to move the thermostat down to the 60s…….

Rebecca – Athena the dog trainer! How cute!

Margaret, Machka, Kylia, Katla, Beth, Karen, Barbara, et al – Thank you for the court yard compliments. It certainly is my little oasis and brings me great joy and peace.

It is off to the races for me. I must get my commute project completed and then ready for work.

Hugs and prayers to all.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,799 Member
    edited April 2020
    hdjrlcffh52o.png

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,598 Member
    Good Tuesday!
    I have been reading and commenting in my head. I did 5 hours of work work on Sunday evening, paid bills, caught up checkbooks, ordered some needs online(more on that in a moment), printed eBay labels for husband, cleaned my kitchen, finished laundry. Productive, but nothing "fun".

Ordering online- We take elderberry syrup every day, while we stocked up, we are getting low. When I bought in February, I got 2 8oz bottles for $18. Now that was at Costco. On Amazon that same deal was $24. When I tried to order Sunday, Costco is out, so off to Amazon. People are NUTS! $49 for one, yes, one bottle!!! That is just plain greed! I ended up buying a different brand for much less. We will see.

I was exhausted after work yesterday and curled up in bed at 8. Brought work home, but just too damn tired to do. The sucky part about that is I will be behind to start today. I am secretly hoping we are slow this morning so that I can get some things taken care of.

Why are stores still out of TP? Really? You would think all those that hoarded 3 weeks ago would still have plenty! Are they building houses out of it? SMH! Sorry, apparently, I have had enough of the nastiness that humans keep spreading. I am not overstocked on TP, but will share if someone needs. However, shipping it might be costly.

I love you ladies! You help me to keep my eye on the good people out there! The moon is beautiful this morning, but just can't capture its beauty with my camera. I tried as I wanted to share.

Have a blessed day!

Kylia
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,492 Member
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,286 Member
    Kylia - I told Hubs yesterday that I have noticed most things I would normally order off Amazon have skyrocketed in price. Like you, I can look back at what I paid before and see how much they have gone up. Needless to say, I'm not ordering :wink: .

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yes, amazing moon last night. It's supposed to be at it's best tonight. :D

I expect you all know by now that Boris Johnson is in ICU. Stable condition. Not on a ventilator at the moment. Just oxygen.

I had a good morning - exercise and writing. If I get those two things done, my day is good. :)
    Weather fabulous. DH went out for fresh fruit and vegetables and picked up Paracetamol as well. That has been non existent for ages.
    I will row this afternoon as I ran yesterday.
    I will try to ring my old yoga friend.

I'm making a big pot of ragu today. Having it over roasted butternut squash tonight, with pak choi and cabbage.
    I may make a lasagne with some of it. Haven't made one for ages.

DH made a great Viking mathematical mystery for Max. He had done it by 9.50. :D Got it all right, so the next one will be more difficult.
    The Celestial/Terrestrial globe and book arrived at my son's house for the kids Easter present. <3
    Our great excitement this morning was that the recycling collection came!!! Wonderful and a great relief.

I am counting my blessings.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Yes, amazing moon last night. It's supposed to be at it's best tonight. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Easter is at the full moon each year. :)

It's one of the reasons we usually plan a long cycling event over the Easter weekend ... so the riders might have moonlight to ride by.

M in Oz

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited April 2020
    Barbara- Considered DNA sites but Daughter needs her DNA private so none of our family has for her . Maybe when she retires. She said she’ll even do it then.
    My only worry is how bad did they have it to would they want contact after that. Indiana for that year since it was common all records from that timeframe are sealed to the public!! They put tons of restrictions to even make it impossible to be open by siblings. Think they can request any Mom who not of childlike minds (my mom had guardians but luckily laws changed with the times by what I understand abortions were illegal even at that time so the Doctor broke tons of laws! The nurses too that helped! They first tried to perform an abortion but it failed God protected my brothers they came out kicking,crying loudly, looking around even tho they were born early! Was given to a family African Americans near by but not sure if they were poverty stricken or good people or not no telling what they went through. I dream they had a happy life became Doctors to Buisnesses men but doubt it these folks were so evil doubt they chose the best home in mind . If they do DNA still a chance they could match with anyone distant of mine who has taken it follow a trail I bet. I check sites where it can be posted by them so far no Twin boys so they were a rarity that year of 1971 maybe the only ones in Union City Indiana or in Indiana all together I search the sites for all the cities there even. Many were twin boy y girl to twin girls born only. So their at least a rarity ...my biggest fear is finding out they passed already especially from that type of birth so I do check single boy birth records just in case they were split up or one didn’t make it.This virus scares me it could be too late for them if they get it or halt their search if they are .I made Moms funeral announcements public listed myself y kids in case they find it y hubby on it. So they know I exists y the kids my birth records in Texas are open to the public I’m easy to find in searches even. I left a bread crumb trail. Owner of the funeral home Mom told her story to she said if anyone tries to contact she’d let me know! She listed the other site to go to on that page. She knows my whole family. Her Locker Texas grave tells even more including her union city Indiana birth full name even maiden y my name. My grandma name Incase she listen instead of mom on birth records! My Dads full name mentions his town. My kids full names even. I left a neon sign if they come looking even stayed put in Texas all these decades giving them 30yrs so far after turning 18. If I do move someday it will be after I wait a little longer just in case. If they match to their Father Buck in Indiana sure he’d mention her hopefully.

Amber Tx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited April 2020
    Today ramen noodle soup in natural beef broth y cornbread. Exercising y finishing cleaning up.Took 6hours yesterday still got some to do.Doing a deep clean .I have put a lot up Incase we need hospital setting theirs no over crowding of nick nacks

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    One of the things I hope to have more time to work on in the future ... perhaps in the break between my first and second semester coming up in June/July ... is my website.

Nevertheless, I've written a little blog about sleep ... machka . net/2019/11/23/sleep/ ... you'll have to take the spaces out around the dot between machka and net to get it to work.

I struggled with sleep for a while after my husband's accident and made the discovery that a sleep mask is a wonderful thing. I tried a really light weight one at first, but found I like bigger, thicker ones.

They provide me with almost complete darkness (the bigger and heavier the better) and they help keep my eyes shut.

Before using them, I had the weird sensation that I might possibly be sleeping with my eyes open. And I was waking up feeling like I'd been in a sandstorm all night with my eyes all sore and gritty. When I looked at myself in the mirror, my eyes were red and I had huge bags under them. But when I started using a sleep mask, my eyes have been much better and my bags are reduced.

Plus I get a better sleep with my sleep mask on.

So just a suggestion to those having trouble sleeping ... give a sleep mask a try. :) I didn't think I'd like it but now I can't sleep without it!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    We went outside for an 11 km bicycle ride early this afternoon. :)

bkterir100og.png

Machka in Australia

We did a 13.67 km bicycle ride here this afternoon. :) It was great to be out!

And yes, we were well away from other people, didn't touch anything except our own stuff, and washed our hands with soap when we got home anyway.

M in Oz

And then I did a brisk 20 min walk on my treadmill. :)

I'm in several challenges on Strava which is encouraging me to be a bit more active again.

M in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,481 Member
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: vacuumed Dining Rm, Living Rm, Master Bd, invested 26 mins cleaning Master Bth
    Bonus: more veg prep, CARES and mic problem research.
    Get to do: BB&B, invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, carry over cleaning Office + Guest Bth, stroll with Barb, grocery outlet, Freddies, KFC, Call Lee, finish Aunt Elsie’s stove and test light oven, bake cookies for Joe, call Carolyn, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 16: rediscover music that lifts your spirits
    try again today to dig out an LP and put it on.

Welcome back Carey!
    Welcome @kkjelson we’re happy you found us too!
    Allie what Katla said. You would be such an asset to any care facility. Beth’s and your Jill of all trades ideas are brilliant. You’ve got this!
    Marianne in WV good to see you posting, hoping your pharmacist son has all the safety protocols/equipment he needs.
    Kim I’m having trouble visualizing the egg carton planted with beans, could you give us a pic? It won’t be warm enough here for beans for quite awhile, but could sure do same with snow peas… “email plant sale” Brilliant! You really are the most resourceful gal. Would love to see pics of your edibly landscaped yards. Praying right now for Cousin Bob’s surgeon, caregivers, family and for his swift and complete recovery. 54 is way too young for a stroke :cry: Thankful for the good news about surgery and that he’s at Stanford. Doesn’t get any better than that.
    Machka that article resonates with how I’ve felt. Stay home/stay safe/quarantine/social distancing/lockdown whatever you call it is our new normal for the foreseeable future. Congratulations on the TP and yeast!
    Tracey prayers for the security guards quick and complete recovery.
    Flea now I’m hungry for potato salad 
    Just skimmin’ but Lanette’s “do not enter” sign really lifted my spiritsi!
    Beth bubbles, yes! Received some at my BFF’s funeral and they did help.
    JanetO glad your DS is not laid off or furloughed. Pay cuts are hard but losing jobs and health insurance are worse.

Amber like you, I truly hope your twin brothers have had a happy life. If it’s any consolation I was adopted as an infant and could not have had better, more loving parents.

Meeting a friend for a stroll today and to receive two masks she’s volunteered to make for us. Will go to the post office, Grocery Outlet and Freddie’s afterward, instead of waiting til tomorrow. Wednesday taking both dogs to the vet (Tumble’s annual, Shadow’s nails) the techs come to your car, take the dog into the office to treat then return. Will stop by the Farmers’ market en route home. Two forays into town the same week, I feel quite daring. The sad news is our county now has 3 confirmed cases and the rumour mill says one worked at the mill so the likelihood is for many more.

If you need a lift, search FB or YouTube for Pluto Living. ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: better than March.
    daily: steps=4275 vits=5.5 log=6 CI<CO=3 CI<250<CO=2 Tumble & Shadow 5=4 mfp=6 clean 10 mins=6 outside=4 up hill=7
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx=1 dance=0
    mnthly: board mtg=0 grant=0 review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=4 play=0 sew=0
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,901 Member
    :) Yesterday I went to the post office and the bank and the two errands filled my morning. At the bank I was fourth in line at the drive through. While I was waiting a woman walked up and looked very confused. Soon a bank employee came out to talk to her. The woman was very confused about why she couldn't get into the bank and the employee was very patient explaining to her that she could help her with any transaction she needed to do.

:) I am almost embarrassed to tell you that my local QFC grocery store had shelves filled with TP. We have plenty so I didn't buy any. Later this week, I'll go to Costco and if they have TP, I'll get some because that's where I usually buy it.

:) I continue to be grateful. I have written in a gratitude journal every morning for years and it has served me well.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • Machka9
    Uni
    So apparently I'm on autumn break from university. I just checked if my workshop was on tomorrow, and it's not. That's OK. I've got 2 assignments to do over the break.

COVID-19
    We've got 98 cases in Tassie as of tonight. They're a wide range of ages and most are up north. One hospital is having an outbreak which is kind of problematic ...

M in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Barbara- Kind of best hubby thinks if they look for me after my last Aunt (80 yr old racist one) passes away from old age first . If they know their adopted finding out the hateful things done to mom y them may be upsetting for them like it is for me - be best if theirs no more offenders left who carried it out. I do hope they are happy y healthy especially through all this. Heard stories of folks at a spouses grave gets chatting with the person who’s grave is next to them also visiting a dead relative bam 💥 find out its a long lost sibling. Another was organ transplant they said it was a perfect match they wanted to shake their hand say thanks lol found out they were siblings or even birth parent. Coworkers best friends for years finally deviate from work talk y family to childhoods bam find out their mom y daughter (was nurses). I love those type of stories. One was boy went to college folks mistook him for his “twin” he never knew he had he drove miles to find him learning he had not signed up for that semester he had to know gut feelings! They met a mirror reflection.They both approached their parents (think 1 parent hadn’t mentioned he was adopted but the other knew. The article was posted brother reunited ...another young man read it hunted them down Triplets!!! Separated at birth for a cruel Science 🧪 project by a company . They all 3 found each other. https://youtu.be/UfVD0GEyb-E

https://youtu.be/J30G5RaoWNk

Sisters too

https://youtu.be/5H-GybAr9rs

Amber Tx
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,183 Member
    Kim - you are a wonder! I'm just wondering if you got some remuneration for all that hard work. <3 Your relative sounds as if he has dodged that bullet by a whisker! I hope so. :)

Machka - Tonight is meant to be a Super Pink Moon. I had to look it up. :D

Done my bonus exercise. 380 calories. Phew! Luckily I am watching a great BBC series while I am doing it. :D

Tonight we are going to watch an old Midsomer Murders which was set in Denmark. I vaguely remember it, but I'm happy to watch it again.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Kim: Sending prayers for cousin Bob. I hope he pulls through without lasting problems. He seems to be doing very well now. YAY!!! :star:

Amber: I can see how that open freeway would tempt a person to see how fast he can go. No traffic, and very little chance of a wreck. I’ve certainly never driven over 100, but back in the day I topped 90 on the freeway during a low traffic time. I haven’t done anything like that in years. :noway:

SuziQ: I love your gratitudes! :heart:

Barbie: Good for your area that TP is available. I was able to buy the second to the last package at Safeway last week. We have enough on hand for now. :star:

M in OZ: It sounds as though the hospital didn’t have adequate protection for its employees. I am sorry there is an outbreak. :cry:

Yesterday I was able to send face masks to DS, DDIL and DGS, thanks to the generosity of the neighbor who has been making them for us along with her own family members. We had a gorgeous moon last night, too. It gave me a feeling of peace and awe.

Katla in NW Oregon

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    💞💐😊