Am I too fat to go swimming?

Options

Replies

• _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned using their HRM in the swimming baths, I have a Polar FT4 HRM, would that work in water? Don't think I have the user manual anymore!

I started swimming in the city pool six weeks ago and I love it! I'm the slowest swimmer under 60 and I still have to stop and gasp for breath every lap or two but I'm getting better. And none of the other swimmers care that I'm slow, they just swim around me if I'm sharing a lane with someone, so don't worry about what other people think. I'm already seeing changes in my measurements.

You can definitely use your FT4 for swimming, just be sure not to push the buttons while it is under water. The manual also recommends washing the strap every time you swim in a pool with high chlorine levels.

You can look at a copy of the manual online here: http://www.polar.com/e_manuals/FT4/Polar_FT4_user_manual_English/manual.pdf

Happy swimming!

I'll check that out!

I knew the watch was water proof, just not sure about the transmitter that goes on the chest strap. Or can the Polar FT4 measure your HR without the transmitter?
  • K2ofCU
    K2ofCU Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just went through this situation.
    Some (long!) notes from my experience- may not resonate with all, but is authentic for me:

1) Understand about discomfort.
    Not a bad idea to watch a session or two to determine the 'lay of the land/sea'.
    Figure out etiquettes, demeanors, if the lanes are split or circle (split is so much easier if you're starting out!), etc.
    Not that they dictate what you should/have the right to do- it's just sensible to gather information so as to eliminate surprises (which increases confidence). It's just smart.

2) Shirt/no shirt for guys- your choice.
    We have both at our pool- can honestly say that no one notices if shirt off; do sometimes notice when shirt gets wet (often looks worse than shirtless).
    My vote is for shirtless, but it is your choice, guys.

Really- NO ONE cares what you look like, and the ones that do are nobodys.
    Fugettabout em- there are more of us who support you than don't.

As an out-of-shape asthmatic- I discovered that, even though I had developed adequate bilateral breathing technique, I simply didn't have the stamina or technique to get in a workout that would be effective for building stamina, cardio, or fitness benefits.

Here's how I tackled that- not everyone's choice, but it HAS WORKED for me:

1) Am blind without my glasses/contacts.
    Swimming is NO FUN if you CAN'T SEE.
    Solution: Optical goggles.
    It is NOT NECESSARY to wear goggles with your exact prescription (several hundred $$ at the eye doctor).
    You want the Rx to be close enough to be functional (difference between pool and deck)- not do your taxes/fine needlework.
    Over the counter optical swimming goggles fit this bill.

Find out your Rx from your doctor (they must tell you, by law), and use that to help decide what diopter to purchase. When in doubt- generally round down (water magnifies).
    For instance- I'm a -7.1 in one eye, so I buy the -7 diopter lens.
    My other eye is -6.75; I could round down, but do go with a -7 diopter (so I only buy one pair of goggles).
    A -6.2 diopter should round down to -6 - etc., etc.,
    If you have very different diopters (-3 and -6, for example), you can buy two goggles, interchange the lenses, and get two pair of Rx goggles (depends on brand).
    MANY different places to buy these, many different brands: Speedo, Tyr, Aquasphere Eagles, etc.
    Start at Amazon and search for Speedo Vanquisher Opticals (the most commonly used ones- the volume purchased by swim team kids drives down the price) to start- they're usually <$25/pair and make ALL THE DIFFERENCE.
    Make sure you get the ADULT size, not the kids size.

1) I loved backstroke; was not as happy about crawl/freestyle.
    However, you just can't rely upon being able to use it as your primary stroke during a lap swim, unless you have excellent control at all times. You're just too likely to crash into someone with whom you are sharing a lane - even if split.
    Reconcile yourself to the fact that freestyle/crawl will be your primary technique.
    Makes for easier, much happier lane sharing, too, and is easier on your shoulders, too.
    Of course, breast stroke, side stroke, are also valid choices, too.

2) Great- I'm crawling, but I'm near-drowning from the exertion of keeping all parts moving.
    Solution for me:
    Use a PULL BUOY to take your legs out of the equation at first.
    They often have them available for common use (in bins) at the pool. It's basically a figure-98 shaped piece of foam, but there are slight differences between brands- and two sizes (adult & child). Try them and see what you like, & then buy your own.
    Put it between your lower thighs, let it lift your legs into correct position (to teach your muscle memory where your legs should be when you do start to kick), and use your arms to pull you through the water.
    Alternate laps if you like (buoy/no buoy), or use it for the entire workout- do whatEVER you need to do to keep yourself in the water long enough to exercise to benefit.
    Your legs (quads) use an ENORMOUS amount of the fuel used in swimming, so much that you run out of energy before you get an effective workout (along with the breathing/gasping aspects at first).
    Take them out of the equation to get your pull technique down first.
    Don't worry - you're still getting terrific benefits- be patient.
    NO ONE ELSE CARES.
    Go to YouTube and see how they're used if in doubt.

3)
    I've not bothered with kickboard drills - too hard on my lower back, and TI (Total Immersion Swimming- check out the book /DVDs at Amazon) discusses chapter & verse about how they mess up your mechanics. Go ahead if you like- I never will.
    My kick really was ineffective- you can get fins (Zoomers, or Aquasphere fins, etc.) - I used the mesh swim shoes from Meijer instead. Yep, heavier than they ought to be, but they do provide a flat surface for water movement, and BOY do you fly when you get to the point when you don't have to use them anymore! LOL

4)
    Be sure that you do NOT cross your arms over your center line (defined by spine-neck) when you pull. Your hands should NOT enter at the same point in front of your head, but instead, at two different locations, SEPARATED by a shoulder-width distance.
    It only LOOKS like swimmers are entering their hands into the water at the same spot- the ones with healthy shoulders are NOT.
    It's a common, painful, demotivational error, and it will do a fierce (NOT GOOD) number on your shoulders if you do.

I look down at the lane line, and ensure that each arm enters on the respective SIDE of each wide lane line- NOT in the center of the line. I make sure that it's a distance that's shoulder wide, and widen it, if in doubt.
    Two different spots- keep those shoulders OPEN to prevent all sorts of pain/troubles.
    If you're feeling tension between your shoulder blades- go wider.
    You cannot believe how much stress you will eliminate from your swimming if you do this.

(I've also learned to drive my stroke from hip-switches, not shoulder-pulls, to alleviate stress, but this is ridiculously long as is- ask if interested)

5)
    Not for everyone, but I found that a center mount swimmers snorkel with a purge valve is the second most valuable piece of gear that I own (optical goggles first).
    I use a Finis, and it's made all the difference.
    (This is NOT a scuba snorkel- get the right gear for the right task).
    Get the one with the purge valve- if water gets in, put your hand over the top spout (to block airflow) and blow *gently* to purge the water out of the bottom of the snorkel.

I intend to use it until I'm very comfortable with a good, steady workout on a consistent basis, and will wean myself off it (~6 months from now).
    And, if I don't want to wean myself- so what?
    This is for lifetime fitness-it's not like I'm going to be thrown off the swim team (eyeroll).
    I have seen BUFF collegiate swimmers use it for entire workouts- complete with flip turns! - so there is NO stigma to using the swimmers snorkel.

When you're just learning to use it- DO NOT tie up a lane (because you will have stops/starts with the process, and you may need several sessions in the pool to figure it out).
    Put it on, put your head in the water, and gently play in the 'open area' end of the pool.
    You are not wasting time by doing so- you are investing in your future fitness by taking the time to figure it out.

Keep your movements slow and light while you're figuring out the mechanics (see YouTube videos before you go to the pool).
    Technically - you're SUPPOSED to use a nose clip & breathe in/out through the snorkel.
    But- there are no real rules: I don't like the rebreathing aspects (am trained in anesthesia, so that's my own issue), so I breathe in through the snorkel, and out through my nose.
    That's also good training for if/when you decide NOT to use the snorkel in the future- you're used to breathing in /out correctly.

NO ONE will look at you funny for this process- my talks with the guards indicate that it took ALL of them a while to get used to the snorkel (used in swim team training), and there is empathy for you in your process.

Took me 2-3 sessions of futzing with it (several gentle stops/starts, then a gentle/slow length across the pool, a neat switch turn (don't try flip turns until much later), and back again.
    Once you get comfortable- THEN go back to the lap lanes.

6)
    Not for everyone, but vital for me:
    I got a waterproof MP3 player, and the laps fly by as a result. I honestly lose count of lengths/laps!
    Mine is the Sony 273; some people love the FINIS instead. Find what works for you and use if you like.
    I went from a struggling 400m to 1600m on first swim thereafter; I just executed an EASY 2500m last night (courtesy of relaxed technique, a quiet Friday night, and some great tunes!) :)

7) A lady thing:
    Initially, I always wore a swim bottom/short skirt OVER my suit when I swam (combo of modesty + increased drag for calorie burning). Once you start to get comfortable, you can ditch this (wearing just your suit). I still enter the pool with the skirt on- swim a few warmups, then remove it (put at poolside). The lack of drag is noticable and motivational! LOL

Way too long, but hope it's helpful!

I waited ~ 1-2 years too long to finally screw up the courage to swim laps after my water aerobics class.
    I still do the water aerobics class before lap swim, but I sure do wish that I'd been braver sooner & just tackled it.
    Do NOT wait those years-LEARN FROM ME! & do it NOW!
    :)))
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You are NOT too fat for swimming.
  • fizzfizz
    fizzfizz Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    best answer I got to the "am I too fat for ..." question came from a doctor friend, I was worried about an outfit and how it hung on me, he replied "too fat for what?" - always stuck with me .. you're never too large to do anything you want to do, I find gym folk particularly supportive too as anyone who is in the gym / swim area cares about their health and that's the common goal, they appreciate that you are there to do that too and are quite friendly not judgemental, after all everyone has their own goals

find some well-fitted comfortable swimwear (nothing worse that tugging an ill-fitting costume into place for losing confidence in my experience anyway) and go for it .. and remember if you feel at all self-conscious about this that once you are in the pool, no one can actually see you, so enjoy some nice long sessions :D
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the late response.

I have been using my local pool frequently since 2001 even at my highest weight of 366 which is 26 stone 2 (in 2010). As I am only 5ft 3 you can imagine what 366 pounds looks like.... I once had 70" hips (currently 62").

I have only ever worn a regular normal swimsuit (nothing with a skirt or dress) with nothing over it or under it. I leave my towel in my locker and walk from locker room through showers and alongside pool in just the swimsuit -- no towel, cover-up, shawl, or anything like that. If people think I am fat so bloody what -- I am fat!

HOWEVER, nobody has ever stared at me, sneered at me, said anything unkind to me, mocked me, laughed at me or humiliated me. Lots of other fatties nod at me, almost as if to say "I see we are all in the same boat" and lots of people chat to me. I have even made some lasting friends.

If you feel really cripplingly self conscious, use a waterpoof MP3 player (mine is made by Speedo it's called Aquabeat) to shut of all unwanted sounds..... and darkened goggles so you feel cut off from the world, in your own little bubble. You are under the water nobody can see you, anyway. However, I suggest that you simply get in the water and SMILE at EVERYONE who catches your eye. They will smile back and then you will feel accepted! I PROMISE

As I sit typing this I am in my swimsuit and just about to go to the pool.... 4th time this week.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    No. DO IT! Do it NOW! :flowerforyou:
  • 366to266
    366to266 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Just got back from doing 80 minutes AquaZumba and saw a new woman in there, who was even fatter than me from the waist up (though smaller in the legs -- I guess she is an apple and I am a pear).

Again nobody looked at me funny or made comment on my 24 stone 3 body. Nor did anyone take any notice of her, so far as I could see.

But if someone did ever stare at me, I'd hold my head up, stare back say "TAKE A PHOTO - IT'LL LAST LONGER!" then flounce off.

And if anyone ever made a disparaging comment, I'd hold my head up, stare back say "What the f*** has my body size got to do with YOU?"
  • jmarie1967
    jmarie1967 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 297 lbs and I love to swim. It helps me with my bad knee's, back, my breathing (I have asthma) and gives me time to myself and my thoughts. Not to mention I have lost weight doing so! I say go for it, enjoy!!! :flowerforyou:
    I am 287 and I go to the YMCA pool on a regular basis, there are other people there bigger than me. My husband and kids go too, so we make it a family activity....we all enjoy it and hubby and I are loosing weight!

Go for it, swimming is relaxing and great exercise!
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    The best way to disarm those that have a problem with big folks at the gym or pool is to use humor. I say, do a titanic cannonball each time you enter the pool for your kick *kitten* workout and you will win them over.

No, that will just p!ss me off.

QFT! A big splash will not win friends or influence people. Just enter the pool on the stairs and start moving. :flowerforyou:
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Swimming is a great workout. Everyone is a bit shy when it comes to swimwear, and everyone will be too concerned with either how they look in their own suit or their own workout to be concerned with you. :) Just go for it.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Nobody is too fat to go swimming. It's one of the all time best ways to exercise as there is no impact on legs, feet, joints... besides, look at a blue whale. 100 ft. long, and they do just fine.
  • bernicesmission
    Options
    swimming is excellent i am big and self concious but sometimes you just hjave to do it, once youve done it a few times you will wish you had started earlier!
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Please go get in the pool!!! You are there for yourself. I am an avid swimmer. There have been times when I felt self-conscious but I knew I loved the water and got in the water anyway You may be surprised to find out how many friendly people you may meet!
    I've met people of all ages, shapes and sizes. Many, like you haven't been in the pool in a while and are looking to get started. I've also met people who are recovering from, or, preparing for surgeries. The water allows people to continue being active when they otherwise could not be. You may also think of it another way. You paid for a membership so use it to the fullest! Go for it and let us know how you're doing! :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Just do it. Swimming is so good. Other than the lifeguards and some of the kids, I would guess that 90% of the people I see at the pool are overweight, in some cases extremely so, and I think it's great that they're there doing their thing.
  • doublegrrr24
    Options
    You are there for YOU..no one else!
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Unless you're planning on wearing a speedo or a thong I wouldn't worry about it. You can do this! You rock!
  • BlessedBe23
    BlessedBe23 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'3 woman who weighs 275 right now and I do water aerobics 3 times a week. Admittedly it's not a gym pool, but during the summer there are a lot of kids there just coming to have fun. It's a little walk of victory for me from the aerobics area in the back all the way past the kids and their parents. Sure, some folks stare, but I think to myself....mom and dad, if you had any sense you'd be in there with your kid. While you sat here and read FB for an hour, I burned 500 calories. And then I just go on about me day ;) It's you who matters, not any one else.
  • VeinsAndBones
    VeinsAndBones Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Come play rugby with me ^_^
  • mmkaye
    mmkaye Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am an overweight woman with bone on bone both knees....Dr. told me I cannot do traditional exercises. I have a gym membership with a pool and go to water aerobic classes 4x a week. Love it and I have lost 28lbs doing it. Remember it is a GYM!
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    swimming is great exercise! I am lucky enough to have a pool. When my friends come over and I ask them if they would like to go swimming I often hear, I would never put on a swimsuit! Everyone has to start somewhere! I tell them to get their dam swimsuit on and get in the pool. NO judging allowed at my house. I even keep swimsuits in various sizes in my bathroom closet so there are NO excuses. The women often wear a pair of shorts and a tshirt. Thats fine with me! just get to swimming! We all need to be enjoying ourselves. Just leisurely enjoying an hour in a pool is enough to burn SOME calories.Check out this letter to a big guy running on the track. It motivated me so much! http://i.imgur.com/6jEWN.png