Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Did you go? Hoping you went & enjoyed !
  • catmanor
    catmanor Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    We need an update!! Did you go swimming.. how was it.. ????
  • felicityblu
    felicityblu Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    dont ever let bein overweight stop u from swimming. its the very best exercise u can do while overweight as the water supports your body and is easy on your joints so u wont actually hurt yourself. but beware u do actually work 2x harder in water than on land!! so u can have an awesome workout without all the joint stress and risk of injury. plus it feels super good! keep smiling! :)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    We are all selfconcious about something. The only way to get over it is to go for it. You will do great!
  • Flissbo
    Flissbo Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Do it! I swim 3 times a week and see all shapes and sizes. I see a lot of people who you think look fit really struggle to do 1length so size is no indication of swimming ability or fitness! Hope you enjoy it :)
  • Red_sparkling_Titania
    Options
    You already said it "they won't be looking at you they will be focussing in the at they are doing". Sure it will be hard to get those thoughts out of your head but try and focus in the good things.
    Swimming is one of the best forms of exercise and I think you should go. It's enjoyable and beneficial.
    If people look, they are probably thinking "good on you for doing it".
    Go and enjoy yourself and take measurement and watch the difference before your eyes :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Anybody else out there had/have the same problem? Anybody else face their fear of the going swimming?

Swim, shower in the locker room, and look dudes in the face during the shower conversations.

You'll get right pretty quick. Get your work in.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    OK, so something I've not done since I was like 13 or something, is swimming. I used to love swimming as a kid, but as the years went by, and the weight piled on, it's something I never ever dreamt of doing, until now.

I signed up to a gym today, have the induction on Thursday evening, and the gym membership I paid for comes with unlimited access to the swimming baths, and it got me thinking - Am I too fat to go swimming?

I know I shouldn't care what other people think, and yes, other people probably don't care about me being there, they're too busy doing their thing to concern themselves over the "fat guy" but I can't help feeling self conscious about it.

Anybody else out there had/have the same problem? Anybody else face their fear of the going swimming?

No you are not too fat. I owe my weight loss and fitness beginnings to swimming. It is a great way to get your heart rate up and its low impact. Just get in that water. You will thank yourself only after five minutes of floating around and swimming. Just do it like nike says.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Of course not! At least you are even doing some exercise- that is great- you are doing a lot more than most!
    Ignore the other people, concentrate on you. If you are really insecure just wear an old tshirt and shorts to go swimming in. Swimming is excellent for burning calories and just toning up the entire body.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Unless you are so fat you empty the pool of all water then no.
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No one is too fat to go swimming! Go on! If it is something you loved, you are more likely to stick at it too
    Hope you love it!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    That's where I started my exercise program. Or as my physio therapist said - its low impact and a good cardio workout,
    When I started in February it was an Adult Learn to Swim class as I did not grow up around water or swimming pools. Once I learned to swim it was 25 meters to the end of the pool and hang onto the wall to catch my breath. Now I am up to 1 kilometer ( 0.63 Miles ) per session in the pool and the occasional really good day where I get to 1.6 Km ( ~ 1 mile ) - with 1 water break in the middle.

In fact I am off to the pool right now for an early bird swim before work. So get in there and make waves.
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I've been pretty much a fish ever since the pool opened in our yard and I am not a skinny chick- Ihavent been swimming in about 12 years , but have been doing laps consecutively for the past 3 -4 weeks and my body feels tighter , Ive lost a few inches and a few pounds already.
    I am up to almost 100 laps in the pool ( which is really only 1.5 mile because my pool is small ) but Im getting there!

Point being, I think swimming doesnt compleatly suck. Id rather bust my *kitten* swimming and burn calories than half *kitten* it doing a DVD or on the treadmill. For some reason I dont push myself as much while im on the cardio equipment.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I am a burly built guy and have definitely had this problem. It takes a little bit of self-pep to get yourself to go when you know you aren't very aesthetically pleasing lol. What I did was went out and bought myself some waterproof headphones and that just shut everything else out and let me focus on the exercise. It was a good purchase, for real! The only reason I couldn't keep swimming was because I have a separated shoulder and the swimming was a little too hard on it.

I always tried to go when it was super early too. There are always usually going to people people there, but it's nice when you can have your own lane and focus.