May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I met some friends at 6:00 am yesterday morning and ran. Everyone had varying distances but another girl and I did 10 miles. Thunderstorms were in the forecast but it turned out to be a beautiful day. It was a bit humid but no rain. I briefly walked through the farmer’s market, went to the grocery store for my mom before heading to her house where I quickly showered and we ventured out to get some lunch and flowers for family gravesites. The store where we normally get flowers was packed and I really did not want to go in. I had driven through its parking lot a couple of times before yesterday and it was just too crowded. However, mom was stressing over not having flowers on the graves so I donned on my mask and sucked it up and went in and quickly made my selections and purchases. Probably a record in and out time for me!

Another nice morning with a 66F temp but 98% humidity so I headed out for a 7 mile run and then walked back up my ridge to the house an additional 1.5 miles.

@katharmonic – I’m always amazed and inspired by your many workouts. Congrats on you MAYHem challenge! You’re doing great with your streak as is @skippygirlsmom.

@quilteryoyo – Great run! Good steady pace!

Ouch @brittanystebbins95 – I know that hurts.

Welcome @lilybed – I have a basic Garmin Forerunner 220 that I use for running. It’s not fancy enough to measure my other activities or receive texts or play music but it works for my needs.

@Tramboman – the buttercups have been bloomed out for at least a week where I live. I don’t ever remember seeing as many in the fields as I have this year.

@marisap2010 – I love those pictures from the botanical gardens! Gorgeous!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,960 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 Ouch! As others have said, you may just have to go to a zinc oxide screen during the rest of your pregnancy, or wear light weight long sleeves. Hope the magnesium and prenatal vitamins help with the leg cramps.

Welcome @lilybed . I have the Garmin Forerunner 235. I love it. I got it because I wanted something with built in HR monitoring and GPS to track my mileage. I also like the stats that it give me. Like others have said, look at what's available, decide which functions you can't live without, find one in your price range, and go for it.

@marisap2010 The gardens look very cool. The virtual race sound nice too. I think there is one that goes across TN, from Bristol to Memphis. Way to far for me. I might be able to do a route that went N to S. LOL
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words and suggestions! I'll have to look into zinc oxide sunblock...I've never heard of it before.
    Now, the question is...to run, or not to run tonight?
    A huge part of me wants to try for at the very least a mile and see how that goes. I owe it to my dogs, at least. My quad still has a pretty tight knot in it, but I've ran with my calves like that before and it wasn't an issue, so if I don't run I know I'm just going to kick myself later for "using it as an excuse."
    Maybe I'll go out to run, give it a go, and if it hurts more I'll just walk the dogs instead. I know I will beat myself up over it later though if I don't do something.
    Everyone says to cut myself some slack, but its so much easier said than done. I just don't think its in my personality. I'm a very "mind over matter" person (thanks, military dad) and I never seem to know when to quit 😂
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all

It's finally raining! So I went for a glorious run in the wet. And stayed warm in my new top, love it.

Apparently we had an earthquake when I was out. A decent chunk of the North Island felt it, I didn't feel a thing! Amusing that a run can mask the ground moving!

I'm battling an injury sigh. Noticed it after Saturdays run. It's a bit of niggling pain deep inside my calf near the top of the belly. Anyone had this? What is it? I'm rolling and stretching. Will see how it goes. I've cut back my Kms, so doing fewer atm. Good timing with the change to my training plan I guess! And no can't be shoes.

Kim is it soleus? Anterior or posterior? It makes me think of a shin splint. Tendinitis at a muscle attachment due to increased training, sometimes a change in shoes and or hills. Good luck with it.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Morning all

It's finally raining! So I went for a glorious run in the wet. And stayed warm in my new top, love it.

Apparently we had an earthquake when I was out. A decent chunk of the North Island felt it, I didn't feel a thing! Amusing that a run can mask the ground moving!

I'm battling an injury sigh. Noticed it after Saturdays run. It's a bit of niggling pain deep inside my calf near the top of the belly. Anyone had this? What is it? I'm rolling and stretching. Will see how it goes. I've cut back my Kms, so doing fewer atm. Good timing with the change to my training plan I guess! And no can't be shoes.

Kim is it soleus? Anterior or posterior? It makes me think of a shin splint. Tendinitis at a muscle attachment due to increased training, sometimes a change in shoes and or hills. Good luck with it.

It's posterior, coming around to the medial and if I massage I get pain along the inside of the shin too.

Could be a combination of increased training, and hills lol. Started increasing both and I noticed it started after running a route with a couple of big hills.

Today's run was mostly on the flat, and only 5k. No increase in pain, just a niggle but enough.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Morning all

It's posterior, coming around to the medial and if I massage I get pain along the inside of the shin too.

Could be a combination of increased training, and hills lol. Started increasing both and I noticed it started after running a route with a couple of big hills.

Today's run was mostly on the flat, and only 5k. No increase in pain, just a niggle but enough.

It does sound like a shin splint. They take a bit of tlc to heal, I have one still after years and no running. I suspect mine is gait and strain. Hopefully yours is just over training. Applying two finger pressure to a knot or the most sensitive spot and flex/extend your ankle can help alleviate the pain and break up the scar tissue trying to form.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Morning all

It does sound like a shin splint. They take a bit of tlc to heal, I have one still after years and no running. I suspect mine is gait and strain. Hopefully yours is just over training. Applying two finger pressure to a knot or the most sensitive spot and flex/extend your ankle can help alleviate the pain and break up the scar tissue trying to form.

Ohhh ill do that, thanks!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,973 Member
    Options
    May Goal: 100 Miles

5/3: 11.07 miles
    5/5: 6.25 miles
    5/6: 5.71 miles
    5/7: 5.16 miles
    5/10: 13.2 miles
    5/12: 5.35 miles
    5/13: 6.40 miles
    5/14: 5.31 miles
    5/17: 10.02 miles
    5/19: 6.55 miles
    5/20: 6.55 miles
    5/21: 6.25 miles
    5/24: 10.02 miles

97.85/100 miles completed for May

534.01/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

I ran 10 miles today. It was a pretty good run, but definitely hot and my pace was definitely slower than usual.  I left the house at 7:50 this morning and it was already 71°F feels like 73°F with 99% humidity and a dew point of 71°. I ran for 1 hour and 50 minutes and when I got home it was 76°F feels like 77°F with 83% humidity and still dew point of 71°. And the winds had gone from 11 mph to 15 mph. But despite the heat and humidity it was a good run. I just had to remind myself that I was doing good even though it seemed like I was really slow.

We had thunderstorms last night and one of my dogs kept us awake for quite a while so I was definitely on the lookout for loose dogs this morning.  They seem to get out a lot when it is stormy. I saw one German shepherd whose owner was trying to coral him. He followed after me but he wasn't barking at me and the owner said he was friendly so I just turned around and ran back towards the man and the dog followed.  When I headed off again I thought I heard the dog coming up behind me again,  but it was 2 different dogs, but they weren't barking or anything and I told them to go away and they did.

Today's run puts me just 2.15 miles short of my goal for May. I debated going ahead and running a couple of more miles since the forecast has storms most of the week. But it was just too hot and I feel pretty confident that I will be able to get at least 2.15 miles sometime in the next 7 days. I won't run if it is stormy, but if it is just rain I will.

@quilteryoyo Nice shoes and great run!

@renydo2 Great run! I love it when I just feel like going further than planned.

@marisap2010 Those pictures from the botanical garden are really cool.

@brittanystebbins95 That sunburn looks painful.  Hope it feels better soon. 

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Morning all

This is a goodie. My osteo got me tackling this spot regularly. I find digging directly under the shin bone with two thumbs is the most effective. Can hurt like hell if you have a knot, but will release it effectively.

Also, when rolling your calves, try switching your roller for a hard ball - this allows you to target the soleus better.