• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Morning all

It's finally raining! So I went for a glorious run in the wet. And stayed warm in my new top, love it.

Apparently we had an earthquake when I was out. A decent chunk of the North Island felt it, I didn't feel a thing! Amusing that a run can mask the ground moving!

I'm battling an injury sigh. Noticed it after Saturdays run. It's a bit of niggling pain deep inside my calf near the top of the belly. Anyone had this? What is it? I'm rolling and stretching. Will see how it goes. I've cut back my Kms, so doing fewer atm. Good timing with the change to my training plan I guess! And no can't be shoes.

Kim is it soleus? Anterior or posterior? It makes me think of a shin splint. Tendinitis at a muscle attachment due to increased training, sometimes a change in shoes and or hills. Good luck with it.

It's posterior, coming around to the medial and if I massage I get pain along the inside of the shin too.

Could be a combination of increased training, and hills lol. Started increasing both and I noticed it started after running a route with a couple of big hills.

Today's run was mostly on the flat, and only 5k. No increase in pain, just a niggle but enough.

It does sound like a shin splint. They take a bit of tlc to heal, I have one still after years and no running. I suspect mine is gait and strain. Hopefully yours is just over training. Applying two finger pressure to a knot or the most sensitive spot and flex/extend your ankle can help alleviate the pain and break up the scar tissue trying to form.

This is a goodie. My osteo got me tackling this spot regularly. I find digging directly under the shin bone with two thumbs is the most effective. Can hurt like hell if you have a knot, but will release it effectively.

Also, when rolling your calves, try switching your roller for a hard ball - this allows you to target the soleus better.

Ya it can hurt like a sumgun when you press on it. I swore when I found mine that it was a broken bone! Good reminder as runners to rub those leggies and feet’s for sore spots regularly.
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,649 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Ooh, have you noticed the *kitten* is gone! Let the swearing begin... and not just over tight muscles and other aches!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Ooh, have you noticed the *kitten* is gone! Let the swearing begin... and not just over tight muscles and other aches!

Wonder why the kitten is gone. I liked it better than real swear words!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Not much activity this week. TBH, I started feeling sick about 10 days ago. Ended up seeing the dr. on Mon. and waiting on test results... still waiting, but started feeling better over the past few days. Went for a couple walks yesterday and adding 2.26 miles for that. Today, ran 5.25 miles. Just about back to 100%, and still waiting on test results. I'm likely not going to make goal this month.

exercise.png

Why ya sick baby? (Been watching an awesome show documenting the night shift for paramedics in New Orleans, everyone is “baby”. Which in our nursing school; is a no-no... but I can “baby” you haha!) I hope you get results soon and glad you are on the mend!

(Now I wanna be a paramedic, those guys and gals rock)

I don't know. It's not Covid, it's a stomach issue of some sort. I went to the dr. last Monday and he had no idea, but is testing for everything. I'm still waiting on test results. Like I said, I've been starting to feel better already. I think I'll be back on the mend before those lab results even come back. I'm really curious what they find. I'm assuming that it isn't a parasite since I'm improving. Likely some bacteria that I somehow got with food or water.

And you know, I've noticed they have been doing something with the water pipe outside. I don't know if it has been opened up at some point or not, but if it got opened and something got into the water, I could have gotten sick that way. What really bothers me is that they were doing something again on Sat. and left the hole in the ground open and some kind of tool sticking up out of it. It's been like that since Sat. afternoon.... It's right in front of where I park my car, so if I need to leave, I'll have to either pull their tool out or spend several minutes jostling carefully around it. I can back up a few inches before hitting the house, then turn the wheels and maybe be able to get around it. It's all a bother either way. If they tell me I had giardia or something, I'm going to send something to the city asking if they have been opening up the water without telling us.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Oh *d'oh*

Nah its still there lol

Oh wait, I got kitten, then edited my post. Now my actual word is there - edited to keep clean
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    After a week off from running, I’m finding it difficult to find the energy during my runs. I hope that it’s just a matter of getting used to it again. Another 5K this morning putting me at 75/100km for May.

exercise.png
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    [quote="bearly63;c-45030017"

@Faebert It was me that had a kid graduating virtually. She is officially a Texas Ex. It wasn't the same as in person but we still had fun celebrating.

We stepped outside to take a few pictures. We were standing in front of this planter and looked down and saw this guy. He ended up being there until after we went to bed but was gone this morning. Husband found him or another Bambi in the bushes at the top of the yard earlier in the day so mom must trust us or something.
    kqcp81lnvcfy.jpg
    [/quote]

Oops. Sorry @katharmonic and @bearly63. Glad you had fun celebrating!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Elise4270 At least DH was looking. That's a start.

@Avidkeo When I worked in CA, I was walking from the parking lot to my office when we had an earthquake. I felt nothing, but everyone that was inside the building was freaking out and couldn't believe I didn't feel it. I guess it has to do with moving and not having both feet on the ground.

@katharmonic The hike sounds fantastic. Glad you got out early.

Thanks @kgirlhart !

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Sorry you've been sick. Glad you are feeling some better.

@bearly63 The baby is so cute. I've seen several pictures posted the last couple of days. Must be the season. :wink: Hope your hip feels better.

• Elise4270
    Options
    Not much activity this week. TBH, I started feeling sick about 10 days ago. Ended up seeing the dr. on Mon. and waiting on test results... still waiting, but started feeling better over the past few days. Went for a couple walks yesterday and adding 2.26 miles for that. Today, ran 5.25 miles. Just about back to 100%, and still waiting on test results. I'm likely not going to make goal this month.

exercise.png

Why ya sick baby? (Been watching an awesome show documenting the night shift for paramedics in New Orleans, everyone is “baby”. Which in our nursing school; is a no-no... but I can “baby” you haha!) I hope you get results soon and glad you are on the mend!

(Now I wanna be a paramedic, those guys and gals rock)

I don't know. It's not Covid, it's a stomach issue of some sort. I went to the dr. last Monday and he had no idea, but is testing for everything. I'm still waiting on test results. Like I said, I've been starting to feel better already. I think I'll be back on the mend before those lab results even come back. I'm really curious what they find. I'm assuming that it isn't a parasite since I'm improving. Likely some bacteria that I somehow got with food or water.

And you know, I've noticed they have been doing something with the water pipe outside. I don't know if it has been opened up at some point or not, but if it got opened and something got into the water, I could have gotten sick that way. What really bothers me is that they were doing something again on Sat. and left the hole in the ground open and some kind of tool sticking up out of it. It's been like that since Sat. afternoon.... It's right in front of where I park my car, so if I need to leave, I'll have to either pull their tool out or spend several minutes jostling carefully around it. I can back up a few inches before hitting the house, then turn the wheels and maybe be able to get around it. It's all a bother either way. If they tell me I had giardia or something, I'm going to send something to the city asking if they have been opening up the water without telling us.

My cats get cryptosporidium from pond water. It also can infiltrate the open pipes. Think I’ve seen cases of that one on “Monsters inside me” from bad city water. Or maybe it’s coccidiosis that my cat get... I wonder what their tool is worth on eBay...
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options

5/1 – 3
    5/2 – 3
    5/3 – 3
    5/4 – 3
    5/5 – 0
    5/6 – 2
    5/7 – 4
    5/8 – 4
    5/9 – 3
    5/10 – 10K Mother’s Day virtual
    5/11 - 2
    5/12 – 3
    5/13 – 2
    5/14 – 5
    5/15 – 4
    5/16 – 5
    5/17 - 5
    5/18 - 2 - it's Skip's birthday so I ran 2.0 in honor of her turning 20
    5/19 – 4
    5/20 - 4
    5/21 - 4
    5/22 - 3
    5/23 - 6
    5/24 - 6
    5/25 - 5

91 of 50 miles

Beautiful morning on the mountain. Can’t get my pictures to post. I’ll add them later.

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May
    Pirate Chal