May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @Faebert Way to crush you monthly goal! Awesome!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Today's exercise is brought to you by the SpaceX launch, NCIS New Orleans, and stress.
    Dad decided he would let me take him to the VA ER this morning to get checked out. The ER doctor did some tests: EKG, blood work, chest x-ray and maybe something else. He said that all came back good, but he wanted to keep him overnight for observation and so he can see a cardiologist because the symptoms sounded heart related. Also, his BP was very high when he got there and later found out they had a hard time getting it down...didn't get it under control until around 7pm. At one point it was 196/96. At 7 it was 128/70. So yeah for that.

Normally when he is in the hospital, mom and I stay with him. That gives me peace of mind because he doesn't hear well, but will act like he does, so doesn't always respond appropriately to questions. Of course, I wasn't allowed to even go past the Triage Room with him today. So had to just come on home when they admitted him. I didn't get home until almost 3pm.

I was supposed to do a 7 mile run today. That wasn't going to happen, but I needed to do something. So I went down to the basement for a mile walk and a 5K run. I watched the SpaceX launch and was excited to see it went well. It amazes me as to how they get that stage 1 booster to come back and land on a ship in the ocean. After that was over, I turned the TV to NCIS New Orleans.

Stress explained in the spoiler.
    Dad called me about 5pm to let me know that they had come in and asked him if his heart stopped did he want them to do CPR or not. He had told them no and wanted to know what I thought about that. And he was crying. I told him I knew that he didn't want to be on machines, but I would have probably told them yes to CPR, but if that didn't work, then he was done. No machines. But, I told him it was his decision. Not mine to make. Boy. Talk about a hard phone call! I just had to get out and get some fresh air. I checked and only needed 1.5 miles to meet my goal, so I went for a nice, fast walk with Tippy into the neighbor's pasture and finished with laps on my driveway. I discovered that it is hard to walk fast, pray, and cry at the same time. But I managed and felt some better after.

Altogether, I ran 3.1 miles and walked 2.5 miles. I actually did my math correctly, and made my 80 mile goal for the month. Not planning on doing anything tomorrow, but you never know. I may need it.

exercise.png

Huge hugs! I hope he is better after a night's stay. As for the hard question, it is so incredibly hard. It's the kind of conversation you need to have with loved ones when it's not life and death. I had that conversation with my In laws a couple of months ago, after my FIL spent a week in hospital. They were both emphatic, DNR. I completely understand and accept their wishes, and if I'm ever there when anything happens, as a heal are worker, I'll find it hard to stand back and let them go, but knowing its what they want will make it easier.

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 – 3
    5/2 – 3
    5/3 – 3
    5/4 – 3
    5/5 – 0
    5/6 – 2
    5/7 – 4
    5/8 – 4
    5/9 – 3
    5/10 – 10K Mother’s Day virtual
    5/11 - 2
    5/12 – 3
    5/13 – 2
    5/14 – 5
    5/15 – 4
    5/16 – 5
    5/17 - 5
    5/18 - 2 - it's Skip's birthday so I ran 2.0 in honor of her turning 20
    5/19 – 4
    5/20 - 4
    5/21 - 4
    5/22 - 3
    5/23 - 6
    5/24 - 6
    5/25 – 5
    5/26 – 5
    5/27 – 5
    5/28 – 5
    5/29 - 5
    5/30 - 5

123 of 50 miles

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May
    The Big Run - June 3
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Today's exercise is brought to you by the SpaceX launch, NCIS New Orleans, and stress.
    Dad decided he would let me take him to the VA ER this morning to get checked out. The ER doctor did some tests: EKG, blood work, chest x-ray and maybe something else. He said that all came back good, but he wanted to keep him overnight for observation and so he can see a cardiologist because the symptoms sounded heart related. Also, his BP was very high when he got there and later found out they had a hard time getting it down...didn't get it under control until around 7pm. At one point it was 196/96. At 7 it was 128/70. So yeah for that.

Normally when he is in the hospital, mom and I stay with him. That gives me peace of mind because he doesn't hear well, but will act like he does, so doesn't always respond appropriately to questions. Of course, I wasn't allowed to even go past the Triage Room with him today. So had to just come on home when they admitted him. I didn't get home until almost 3pm.

I was supposed to do a 7 mile run today. That wasn't going to happen, but I needed to do something. So I went down to the basement for a mile walk and a 5K run. I watched the SpaceX launch and was excited to see it went well. It amazes me as to how they get that stage 1 booster to come back and land on a ship in the ocean. After that was over, I turned the TV to NCIS New Orleans.

Stress explained in the spoiler.
    Dad called me about 5pm to let me know that they had come in and asked him if his heart stopped did he want them to do CPR or not. He had told them no and wanted to know what I thought about that. And he was crying. I told him I knew that he didn't want to be on machines, but I would have probably told them yes to CPR, but if that didn't work, then he was done. No machines. But, I told him it was his decision. Not mine to make. Boy. Talk about a hard phone call! I just had to get out and get some fresh air. I checked and only needed 1.5 miles to meet my goal, so I went for a nice, fast walk with Tippy into the neighbor's pasture and finished with laps on my driveway. I discovered that it is hard to walk fast, pray, and cry at the same time. But I managed and felt some better after.

Altogether, I ran 3.1 miles and walked 2.5 miles. I actually did my math correctly, and made my 80 mile goal for the month. Not planning on doing anything tomorrow, but you never know. I may need it.

exercise.png

Huge hugs! I hope he is better after a night's stay. As for the hard question, it is so incredibly hard. It's the kind of conversation you need to have with loved ones when it's not life and death. I had that conversation with my In laws a couple of months ago, after my FIL spent a week in hospital. They were both emphatic, DNR. I completely understand and accept their wishes, and if I'm ever there when anything happens, as a heal are worker, I'll find it hard to stand back and let them go, but knowing its what they want will make it easier.

Geez @quilteryoyo hugs! I was with my mom when she signed my dad’s dnr and it sucked. It sounds like they were pressuring your dad at a time of stress, not cool! That is one major reason this whole not letting family be with someone in the hospital is a problem, a sick person needs an advocate who cares. My dad told me no machines too, but I am glad that cpr was allowed because when his heart valve blew he lived 8 good years after that, perfectly able. Just make sure he understands his options, it’s not between just letting him die when a defibrillator would easily give him his whole life back, and being stuck on a vent forever!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Okay, I realize this is a minor concern when people are losing their lives and buildings are being set on fire, but as someone who was out at 11 pm running last night it concerns me that Nashville just down the road a piece now has a 10 pm curfew. I was watching our local protests live and they were peaceful. Praying for everyone involved. It’s too hot to be under martial law y’all. I remember the riots here when I was a child and not getting to play outside.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary wooo hoooo Well done! Sorry about the chaffe!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo, I'm glad your dad's blood pressure was stabilized. What tough conversations for him and for you. Hugs to you. Hope he will be home soon. Good job getting a run in and managing some stress.
    Faebert wrote: »
    Praying that the June thread brings lots of news of health, wellness and peace along with all the awesome running. X

I will second this sentiment. I hope everyone has a good last day of May and that June will bring us all some much-needed peace and hope.
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo I hope things with your dad go well. I know that was a tough convo.

@ContraryMaryMary Great job!

Four miles yesterday, bringing my total to 53/50 miles for the month. Hoping to get out in a bit for a couple more miles to finish up the month. It is getting so hot during the day that I am contemplating getting up to run before work from here forward. I’m really not feeling it though...
    My gym does open up tomorrow, so maybe I can run on the indoor track a few evenings a week.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest
    5-12 7k moderate
    5-13 7k moderate
    5-14 7k thresholdy
    5-15 7k easy
    5-16 11k slow
    5-17 7k moderate
    5-18 rest
    5-19 7k moderate
    5-20 7k easy
    5-21 6k moderateish
    5-22 7k easyish
    5-23 7k moderate
    5-24 7k easyish
    5-25 7k easy
    5-26 7k easyish
    5-27 7k moderate
    5-28 7k moderate
    5-29 7k easy
    5-30 rest
    5-31 7k moderate

May Total: 200k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Sunny and 50 degrees F today. Breeze kept changing direction so it could blow in my face. But it was a lot more pleasant than sweating at 70 degrees F.

@quilteryoyo I hope things go well with your dad.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo sounds like a stressful day well managed. That’s a hard decision to make when the circumstance is real. Many hugs and prayers to you and your family, especially your dad.
    Okay, I realize this is a minor concern when people are losing their lives and buildings are being set on fire, but as someone who was out at 11 pm running last night it concerns me that Nashville just down the road a piece now has a 10 pm curfew. I was watching our local protests live and they were peaceful. Praying for everyone involved. It’s too hot to be under martial law y’all. I remember the riots here when I was a child and not getting to play outside.

Dh told me about this and I just had a flash back to Rodney King, “can’t we all just get along”. I don’t know the details, right or wrong. Hopes and prayers that the voices make changes for the benefit for all of us.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @quilteryoyo - I am so sorry about your dad. Has he and/or your mom given you the written permission to speak with his caregivers? I have it for our friend and was able to let the doctor know what she was unable to express for herself. She also doesn't like to ask for help so wouldn't tell them what she needed (like they gave her lotion and she couldn't open it) or that she couldn't hear or understand what the doctor was telling her. So I would basically explain all that to the nurse or doctor and they would put it in the chart.

We had mostly peaceful protests in a neighboring town here too. It is a largely immigrant community with many lovely small restaurants and shops. It also has a wonderful large arts district. People on Twitter were begging the protesters who turned to throwing rocks, bottles and setting off fireworks at the police to not destroy the small businesses. 😢 My first thought was that I doubt they are following Twitter ATM. @elise4270 - I also flashed back to Rodney King.