May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    That's interesting @hamsterwheel6 . I guess I never thought about the possibility that the bypasses would clog up from scar tissue. My dad had to have a new stent every. single. year for 4 years, I think, because his artery would grow around the stent, even the ones that are medicated to prevent it. (I guess this is similar to scar tissue.) It took almost exactly one year for it to clog back up. So weird, but consistent. Anyway, the last time they couldn't get a stent in, so had to do bypass.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    So back from my run, 9.5k according to Hal. Went to log it and realised it was supposed to be marathon pace, 5:35 min/k. First, oops didn't know till after. Second, omg what time had I set thats my pace, oh 4hrs. Sigh. Reset, 4:30 now. I feel confident I can do around 5:45 min/k but NOT 5:30.

Run was good. Have had no pain in the soleus for the last day, felt some niggles while running, especially on the slight hills. No pain, but niggle. Broke out the squash ball again when I got home. Definitely tender but not as sore as the last few days. So hopefully that's the worst over lol. Taking a break tomorrow then doing 17k on Sunday. I'm going to keep that on the flat as much as possible.

Anyone experienced with reflux when running? The last few weeks I've been getting a bit of reflux. Only lasts a few minutes, but can happen several times. And doesn't matter when I last ate - today's run was technically fasted, but was still fairly full from yesterdays dinner. But if I have just a banana, breakfast an hr before, breakfast immediately before, I'm having this issue. It's more annoying than anything.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    That's interesting @hamsterwheel6 . I guess I never thought about the possibility that the bypasses would clog up from scar tissue. My dad had to have a new stent every. single. year for 4 years, I think, because his artery would grow around the stent, even the ones that are medicated to prevent it. (I guess this is similar to scar tissue.) It took almost exactly one year for it to clog back up. So weird, but consistent. Anyway, the last time they couldn't get a stent in, so had to do bypass.

They initially thought about doing bypass again, but I was only 32 at the time, and had just had surgery. So, they tried this and left that one blocked. I had to have quarterly stress tests for years to make sure all was good though. Now I have one once a year.
    Is your dad ok now?

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @kgirlhart - You definitely can sync RTE with Strava. Just look for it under 'device syncing' when you click on your name.

@hamsterwheel @quilteryoyo @avidkeo - Very interesting discussion on blocked arteries and collaterals. I had no idea that could happen either. Our bodies are pretty amazing!

@Avidkeo - you and NZ have every right to be so proud! You all have done a fantastic job. I wish something similar had taken place here with the country pulling together in a unified front to the disease but it just couldn't happen at this point in time with how polarized everyone is. Honestly makes me sad we couldn't (and can't) do better. How are they going to handle people wanting to come there? Quarantine?

@Teresa502 - I agree on the masks. Our county instituted a mask requirement and people went nuts. The sheriff said they wouldn't enforce it ('we are not the mask police'). I think they should have just left it to expect people to be responsible and do the right thing and not make it a big issue.

Cross training day for me - no run.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So last night I learned a new thing! This is an AMAZING thing! If your headphones are rated waterproof for up to 30 mins... that does NOT mean they can go through a 2-hour wash cycle!

RIP Plantronics Backbeat Fit headphones July 17, 2018 - May 26th 2020. Please, instead of sending flowers donate to your local food pantry. Thanks.

So, I have actually had a surprising number of headphones survive this lesson....even cheap ones, that are not considered waterproof at any level. I cannot tell you why they still work, but I have both a running set (Bluetooth) and work set (hardwired) in my rotation that survived at least one wash cycle!

Actually @PastorVincent have you put them in a bag of rice, and left in a warm space - like where your water heater is? I'm amazed at the number of electronics that I have revived doing this technique. The rice helps soak up the water, and the heat helps evaporate the water. Definitely worth a try!

Oh yeah. I have a friend who put some earphones in rice, forgot about them for six months, and one day discovered he had an extra pair of functional headphones...

@Avidkeo Congrats! Now for the long road back to normal.

@skippygirlsmom Thanks for setting us up!

Update on bump underfoot: It got quite painful yesterday so I called up a friend who used to be a nurse. She said she couldn't say much without looking at it, but suggested trying to stay off it for a day or two, plus a general anti-inflammatory ointment. So no running until the weekend. Thanks @hamsterwheel6 @PastorVincent @shanaber for the thoughts and suggestions, if this thing doesn't get better over the weekend I'll go see somebody about it.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Okay let me preface with

I’m writing from my phone and i don’t know how to put covid19 talk in a spoiler. It’s also 10:31pm and it has been one of the weirdest days of my adult life. If i knew how to do the spoiler, I totally would.

So my son. He’s been feeling puny - just totally lethargic for days. With no improvement. Well, he was due for a med check anyway (the appointment was already set) so I decided to bring the lethargy up to the doctor. Just talk through it. Rule some things out (anemia, Lyme disease, stuff like that).

Extremely long story short - all his labs are normal. When they told me that, i, POLITELY said, “I think we can agree that is not an answer to the question of what is actually wrong, because we can also agree that something definitely is.”

The response to that was, “if he isn’t better in the morning, bring him back in right away so we can test for covid.”

At this point, I left work and now we are home and I have so many questions. Firstly. What is wrong with my son.

Secondly: How do I make for freaking sure that he is fine....

Thirdly: Isn’t it crazy how quickly life can go from a weird corona normal to wayyyyyyyyyyyy different NOT normal in a matter of days (i know, I’m late to this party)

Fourth: and forgive me - this has potential to sound so very selfish: can I still run? Outside? Away from people?
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

@Avidkeo - you and NZ have every right to be so proud! You all have done a fantastic job. I wish something similar had taken place here with the country pulling together in a unified front to the disease but it just couldn't happen at this point in time with how polarized everyone is. Honestly makes me sad we couldn't (and can't) do better. How are they going to handle people wanting to come there? Quarantine?

Currently anyone coming into the country has a mandatory quarantine of 2 weeks in a specific hotel. And given we are an island, it's pretty easy to make that happen. Whew.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    Okay let me preface with

I’m writing from my phone and i don’t know how to put covid19 talk in a spoiler. It’s also 10:31pm and it has been one of the weirdest days of my adult life. If i knew how to do the spoiler, I totally would.

So my son. He’s been feeling puny - just totally lethargic for days. With no improvement. Well, he was due for a med check anyway (the appointment was already set) so I decided to bring the lethargy up to the doctor. Just talk through it. Rule some things out (anemia, Lyme disease, stuff like that).

Extremely long story short - all his labs are normal. When they told me that, i, POLITELY said, “I think we can agree that is not an answer to the question of what is actually wrong, because we can also agree that something definitely is.”

The response to that was, “if he isn’t better in the morning, bring him back in right away so we can test for covid.”

At this point, I left work and now we are home and I have so many questions. Firstly. What is wrong with my son.

Thirdly: Isn’t it crazy how quickly life can go from a weird corona normal to wayyyyyyyyyyyy different NOT normal in a matter of days (i know, I’m late to this party)

Fourth: and forgive me - this has potential to sound so very selfish: can I still run? Outside? Away from people?

How old is he? If I remember rightly he's young, around 4??

Kids get some really really random bugs that can just do weird things to them. So lethargy for a few days, I'm not too worried about. Anything more than a couple of weeks, yeah I'd be getting alarmed.

As for the covid thing, best safe than sorry? You would be so annoyed with yourself if you went out, then found out he - and potentially therefor you - have it. Or wear a mask?
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Okay let me preface with

How old is he? If I remember rightly he's young, around 4??

Kids get some really really random bugs that can just do weird things to them. So lethargy for a few days, I'm not too worried about. Anything more than a couple of weeks, yeah I'd be getting alarmed.

As for the covid thing, best safe than sorry? You would be so annoyed with yourself if you went out, then found out he - and potentially therefor you - have it. Or wear a mask?

I agree with @Avidkeo - I would bring him in for the test first thing in the morning and then wait for the test results before doing anything.

If you know of a place where there are no people at all, and you would not see any people for the entire run, well, that sounds like a good place to run during these times regardless of your son's situation.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Good morning! No run for me today since tomorrow is my long run day. I'm hoping to get 14 miles in tomorrow. I've run over 13 miles three times this month so I should be able to bump it up. For me it's more of a mind game. If I go into it knowing I'm doing 14, then I can slug it out much better than if I go into it with the mindset of doing what I can. The Marine Corps Marathon which is scheduled for October hasn't been cancelled yet but hearing that Boston is now cancelled makes me think MCM might also be cancelled this year. I'm going to proceed with training until I learn differently.

So for cross-training, this morning I did Day 41 of Morning Meltdown which was called cardio meltdown (this is a Beachbody program) and then did a 30 minute weight conditioning workout sponsored by my workplace fitness center. All our fitness centers at work have been shut down since mid-March. The instructors have put together you-tube videos of the classes so that we can do them at home. It's a bonus being able to "see" these instructors and hearing the voices of people you know but haven't seen in months! If we attend 8 fitness classes each month then classes are free to employees, retirees and spouses. If you don't make the 8 classes, there is a nominal charge for the month. They have suspended the 8-class requirement however this is our company's 100-year anniversary so if you do 100 classes this year you are entered into a special drawing. The at-home classes count towards the 100 class goal. Classes range from the normal offerings of yoga and stretch to tabata and weight lifting. They have done some special classes also like Dish Towel Disco, Playground Workout and a 15-minute office chair stretch.

@Camaramandy648 will be praying that your son tests negative for COVID-19 and that it's just a passing phase - maybe a growth spurt that is zapping his energy.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »

@Camaramandy648 will be praying that your son tests negative for COVID-19 and that it's just a passing phase - maybe a growth spurt that is zapping his energy.

I second. Hopefully he’s just normal kid tired. Keep us updated. i hope he recovers quickly. Just a quick thought, how’s his diet? Could he be B12 deficient?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    5-1 7k moderate
    5-2 7k easy
    5-3 11k easy
    5-4 rest
    5-5 7k moderate
    5-6 7k moderate
    5-7 7k moderate
    5-8 7k easy
    5-9 11k slow
    5-10 7k moderate
    5-11 rest
    5-12 7k moderate
    5-13 7k moderate
    5-14 7k thresholdy
    5-15 7k easy
    5-16 11k slow
    5-17 7k moderate
    5-18 rest
    5-19 7k moderate
    5-20 7k easy
    5-21 6k moderateish
    5-22 7k easyish
    5-23 7k moderate
    5-24 7k easyish
    5-25 7k easy
    5-26 7k easyish
    5-27 7k moderate
    5-28 7k moderate
    5-29 7k easy

May Total: 193k
    May Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k

2020 Total through April: 700k

Cloudy and high 60s F today. Didn't start raining until after I was finished. Legs were tired; I have chores to do tomorrow so tomorrow might be a rest day - first one in 11 days.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Thanks @shanaber!

Congrats @Avidkeo! You should be proud.

@Camaramandy648 I hope you figure something out with your son. I would get him tested and wait until you find out the results before running unless you can run somewhere that you know you will not come into contact with anyone else and I would at least take a mask just in case you do see someone.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    5/1 – 3
    5/2 – 3
    5/3 – 3
    5/4 – 3
    5/5 – 0
    5/6 – 2
    5/7 – 4
    5/8 – 4
    5/9 – 3
    5/10 – 10K Mother’s Day virtual
    5/11 - 2
    5/12 – 3
    5/13 – 2
    5/14 – 5
    5/15 – 4
    5/16 – 5
    5/17 - 5
    5/18 - 2 - it's Skip's birthday so I ran 2.0 in honor of her turning 20
    5/19 – 4
    5/20 - 4
    5/21 - 4
    5/22 - 3
    5/23 - 6
    5/24 - 6
    5/25 – 5
    5/26 – 5
    5/27 – 5
    5/28 – 5
    5/29 - 5

118 of 50 miles

I have somehow managed to run in the rain almost every day this week, someday pouring somedays drizzle, today it depending on which street I was on ha ha

@hamsterwheel6 that is wild, a blocked artery, open heart surgery I’m sitting here like holy *kitten*

@Avidkeo that’s great news on the no new cases

@Camaramandy648 prayers coming from me too for your son

Races:
    Mother’s Day Virtual 5K – done
    Retro Run Virtual 5K – done
    Rona on the Run - Virtual for St. Jude benefit - done
    Keep Moving Huntsville - at least one mile a day 1 - 31 May
    The Big Run - June 3
    NEGU virtual run - June - Team NEGU helping support kids with cancer
    Pirate Challenge – 10 weeks mile challenge June - Sept
    Flora-Bama 600K - Virtual race from Huntsville AL to the Florida Alabama state line in Orange Beach
  • mari_moulin
    mari_moulin Posts: 3,717 Member
    Options
    Another 5K this morning putting me at 95/100km for May. Only 1 more run to go!! 😁.

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman you inspire me literally every day.

Update on Patchen:

He had a tiny bit of improvement over yesterday so we went to the dr hoping for a note to return to work. Naive of me, I know. Probably.

He had a temp of 99.5 and they immediately separated us and that is when my heart started racing.

The office manager finally came out and said we want to test him right now. Drive to the west side of the building.

We did that.

This whole time, I’m thinking, “but 99.5 isn’t that high?! Is that even a fever?” I scoff at 99.5! Maybe I’m not understand this correctly?

So we go to the drive up test spot and it was one of the worst experiences of his life.

He had a full on panic attack and I had to hold him down in the car, kicking and clawing and THAT SCREAM. I will never forget it. It’s the stuff of horror movies.

So of course I started crying.

They told me that since I have asthma, if he tests positive and I get it, I could die, so I have to isolate him at home completely. He’s supposed to be in his room, secluded, isolated - until we get a negative result. How the eff am I going to do that - I am his mother! I know you were able to manage, @Avidkeo. Maybe he’s negative and i can make this work for two days.

I still haven’t stopped thinking about running, though of course, I know what my priorities are.

Maybe in the alley at night.

We should have results by or before Sunday night. Hoping and praying he’s negative.

What a strange time it is being

@Camaramandy64 as someone in the "you might die" group with you on COVID-19 and a fellow parent, I am going to tell you what I would do. I would assume I already have it and isolate with my child. I would take precautions, best I could and all that but I am with my child. Or my wife for that matter.

I do not think your situation is like @Avidkeo's AT ALL. She was worried about bringing it home to give to her kids. That is way different than having a sick kid.

BUT that is really bad advice, you should do as your doctor says and not as I do.