May 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    @Teresa502 So sorry for your loss; it is quite heartbreaking to lose a pet.
    @PastorVincent I have done that before...hope the refurbs work out for you
    @Scott6255 Good news!!
    @janejellyroll Same kind of run here today; started raining about a mile in, then stopped, then light rain for the rest but the times it wasn't raining it certainly felt like it.

@bearly63 @quilteryoyo Thanks for the mentions on the run! I do like the swag too..The medal is a toilet paper roll! Ha

Managed 5.48 miles lol, kind of miscalculated to get to 5.5. Slow run, though it felt good in the run, the humidity not so much.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,958 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I heard about those hikers. Didn't realize it was in your neck of the woods. Looks like you had a great hike and run. Love the pictures, except for the snake. Sorry about your cat. We miss our pets when they are gone.

@Scott6255 Glad you are okay and never showed any symptoms.

@kgirlhart Glad you had a good run. I hope Garmin can help with your watch issue. Hope they fix your watch and get it back to you soon.

@bearly63 Sounds like a nice run. All y'all are making me want to sign up for Peleton...if I ever get headphones. LOL One thing at a time.

• Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    01/05 1.54 miles
    05/05 2.35 miles
    06/05 2.51 miles
    07/05 1.52 miles
    13/05 2.51 miles
    16/05 2.65 miles
    17/05 2.12 miles
    19/05 2.61 miles
    25/05 2.21 miles
    26/05 2.60 miles
    27/05 2.85 miles - took on a little hill I've not been on since last year so very happy with that

exercise.png

• skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @hamsterwheel6 nice swag
    @Camarmandy648 how long do you have to decide whether to defer or not? Maybe you can wait until the last minute and gauge the situation. So heartbreaking about George Floyd what is wrong with this world.
    @quilteryoyo he was a pretty big guy too. Ha ha sounds like me, why did I come in the kitchen?
    @brittanystebbins95 I have ended up with two dogs that honestly don’t care if it’s raining out. My german shepard was like oh no if I have to go out in the rain so do you. My Macy especially will walk out there like it’s a sunny day in torrential downpours.
    @Teresa502 great pictures. I’m so sorry about your cat hugs
    @kgirlhart nice job Garmin!
    @mbaker566 stupid IRS
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @katharmonic Yuck for the heat and power outage. You're extraordinary for getting out and running anyway. Glad your AC is back on now. I hate trying to sleep when it's so hot.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I had my 4 weekly tempo test today. After a 15 minute warm up, I ran 7km at tempo pace, which is hard but sustainable, so around half marathon pace.

Problem is, I'm in the luteal phase of my cycle which leaves me lethargic and unmotivated (incidentally, you women who like data and stats, it's well worth tracking your performance against where you are in your cycle as it can have a massive impact on how you feel and how fast you run). Anyhoo, it was in my plan, so I headed off to do it because I'm a goodie two shoes like that.

I was hoping I'd perk up after my warm up, but I didn't. Instead I spent the whole time complaining loudly in my head. My lungs were happy enough, but my legs were heavy and my head was dreaming of coffee and cake.

For the last couple of kilometres I was mentally beating myself up as I had run this route last week at 5 minute pace or faster and had a whale of a time. Today I was working to maintain a 5:10 pace.

I got home feeling quite glum, certain, that despite allllll the hours of running I've done in the past month, my tempo test was slower than April's. However, when I checked the data, not only was my average pace 9 seconds per kilometre faster, but my average heartrate was lower. OMG. Who knew? Training pays off.

It goes without saying my mood shifted rapidly from gloomy to thrilled, and now that I've had my coffee and cake, I am content.

Happy running everyone!

Woo hoo go you!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    hanlonsk wrote: »
    So last night I learned a new thing! This is an AMAZING thing! If your headphones are rated waterproof for up to 30 mins... that does NOT mean they can go through a 2-hour wash cycle!

RIP Plantronics Backbeat Fit headphones July 17, 2018 - May 26th 2020. Please, instead of sending flowers donate to your local food pantry. Thanks.

So, I have actually had a surprising number of headphones survive this lesson....even cheap ones, that are not considered waterproof at any level. I cannot tell you why they still work, but I have both a running set (Bluetooth) and work set (hardwired) in my rotation that survived at least one wash cycle!

Actually @PastorVincent have you put them in a bag of rice, and left in a warm space - like where your water heater is? I'm amazed at the number of electronics that I have revived doing this technique. The rice helps soak up the water, and the heat helps evaporate the water. Definitely worth a try!
  • quilteryoyo
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Yeah for your run! It's great when one that feels awful turns out to be so good!

@hanlonsk Congratulations on your new treadmill.

@eleanorhawkins I'm supposed to be doing hill repeats today and was wondering how I should do them on the treadmill. Thanks for sharing your experience. I may not get to run as I'm needing to clean up some trees that have fallen near my driveway. We shall see how I feel after that is done.

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Could it be? A rainfree weekend in the forecast! :D Relatively mild temperatures too.

I realized this morning that Strava has moved the total miles for the month to their paid version and there's no good way to see it on my free account. I understand some of the fancier features getting moved, but I really didn't think this counted as "premium"-style content. Oh well!

5/1: 2m
    5/2: 8m
    5/3: 18m
    5/4: 1.75m
    5/5: 5m
    5/6: 5m
    5/7: 5.25m
    5/8: 2.5m
    5/9: 8m
    5/10: 13m
    5/11: 2m
    5/12: 5m, 6.5m