WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Rori So sorry; you must be feeling defeated & overwhelmed. I wish I could come & help.

I am posting this video for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aTagDSnclk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Well, it is time for me to fly and get started with my getting ready for work transition. Tomorrow is my birthday and I still have not quite figured out what I am going to do for myself. Sometimes the best days are those without plans. I do know I will be doing whatever I want within the confines of nothing being open!!!

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a really good day ... whatever you decide to do. :)

M in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Well, it is time for me to fly and get started with my getting ready for work transition. Tomorrow is my birthday and I still have not quite figured out what I am going to do for myself. Sometimes the best days are those without plans. I do know I will be doing whatever I want within the confines of nothing being open!!!

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL

Happy Birthday! I hope you have a really good day ... whatever you decide to do. :)

M in Oz

Thank you Machka!
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,488 Member
    Options
    Happy BD SuziQ!
    KJ :love: Joaquin and Miguel

This popped up and I found it heartening. Long but catchy and clear. Good balance of optimism and pessimism.
    https://ncase.me/covid-19/
    Machka does the .me domain suffix mean Melbourne?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Happy BD SuziQ!
    KJ :love: Joaquin and Miguel

This popped up and I found it heartening. Long but catchy and clear. Good balance of optimism and pessimism.
    https://ncase.me/covid-19/
    Machka does the .me domain suffix mean Melbourne?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.

No ... it's just a domain registration thing. the .me suffix is for Montenegro but anyone can register a domain name with them.

https://domain.me/
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    pppp
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    SUZI Q ~ Happy, Happy Birthday! :)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Happy Birthday SuziQ :flowerforyou:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Ladies!

I can hear the big old rain hammering down right now. Cringing a little because of the tender plants I set out during the hot spell last weekend. I made a roof over the tomatoes with row cover so they should be a little protected from heavy rain and hail, plus gives them a sunscreen for several hours of the day. I extended the "roof" on the left side after I took this picture.
    kh0jpxjrdhw2.jpg
    SuziQ - Wishing you a fabulous birthday!! <3

Rori - sending peace and strength. Praying you are getting the help needed at your home. <3

Karen
    - seeing that cat alarm clock made me spit my coffee, lol. :D

Barbara - cute photo of you and Joe in your bank robber disguises. Yes, I wish I had his hair!! Never mind my husband who is pretty bald, lol. ;)

Tonya - those photos of your daughter are exquisite. Thank you for sharing them here. :)

Lisa - Levi is such a cutie! <3 Sorry to hear about that mower. Isn't it neat to be married to someone mechanically inclined? B)

Kelly
    - the photos of Joaquin and Miguel just brighten my day! <3 Glad you are able to get out and about with your little charges. <3

Kylia - sending hugs. Thinking of you.

I'm not one to keep a diary or journal. But during stressful times, I often just sit and write it all down. I ran across something the other day that I'd written when I returned from my Mother's funeral - some of the family drama that occurred a few days before her death. It's been ten years or so since she died, but my words gave me a snapshot of my relationship with my parents and siblings back then. And I see them with different eyes now. It's all good.

So interesting to hear of the shortages of different food and items across the country. I've noticed I might not be able to get my favorite brand of food, but there's a reasonable substitute on the shelf.

Like Barbie, my main concern has been getting dog food, which I buy from Amazon, and they have had shortages, thus delays. I am stockpiling it when I can get it and extending what I have by blending it with something fairly close.

Ok ladies, up and at 'em. It's going to be a FABULOUS day. <3

Now get out there and kick some tush. B)

Lanette
    SW WA State

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    I didnt sleep well and woke up at 8.. and having my tea .. dropping the dogs off at the groomers tomorrow morning and run a few errands... its unseasonable chilly here in Connecticut
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options

Tomorrow I break my “max one trip to town/day” rule as Tumble’s grooming appointment is as 8:30 and the soonest Library pickup appointment I could get was 1pm. Will stay home all day Thursday, meet friend for a stroll Friday, and stay home Saturday.

:) Today I am going to break my "max one trip in the car per week" rule. Jake is restless and wants to go to the grocery store. He has cabin fever and suddenly has an urge for some foods (cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, salmon spread) that we don't usually have in the house. I told him he can either go by himself or shop with me with his own cart and his own list and stay away from me. It's too hard to be mindful of everything and have someone with me. So he has his list and I have mine and we'll go right after dog walking. Neither the library nor dog grooming is open here so we don't have those temptations.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    Lanette :) Jake planted cherry tomato plants yesterday and I planted nasturtium seeds so we are happy for the rain to help them get started.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,051 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Allie we just went through a cool snap. Warmer weather ahead. I went out and covered some plants 6 nights in a row. Hope that is behind me. My nasturiums are about an inch now. Love them they the leaves and flowers are also good in a salad. Give a peppery flavor.
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »

Tomorrow I break my “max one trip to town/day” rule as Tumble’s grooming appointment is as 8:30 and the soonest Library pickup appointment I could get was 1pm. Will stay home all day Thursday, meet friend for a stroll Friday, and stay home Saturday.

:) Today I am going to break my "max one trip in the car per week" rule. Jake is restless and wants to go to the grocery store. He has cabin fever and suddenly has an urge for some foods (cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, salmon spread) that we don't usually have in the house. I told him he can either go by himself or shop with me with his own cart and his own list and stay away from me. It's too hard to be mindful of everything and have someone with me. So he has his list and I have mine and we'll go right after dog walking. Neither the library nor dog grooming is open here so we don't have those temptations.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

Here we are not even allowed to do that! My husband has to go on his own, there is only one person allowed in. Unless of course you were to pretend you were not together...lol We are still limited to a certain amount of things in the stores. I think this is good though to prevent panic buying but I would like to have more than 2 packs of mushrooms.. I eat them everyday :)

Tonya x
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    suzieq HAPPYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY BDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,337 Member
    Options
    Barbara and Allie - Can I send my two pups to your state to have them groomed? Geeze. Our state has been good in many ways with determining essential businesses, but come on - we can't even have our doggies picked up by the groomer and taken into her shop to be clipped? If I lived closer to Oregon I'd drive across the border. Maybe stop by Katla's for a socially distanced cup of tea, lol. Crossing fingers our groomer can open up soon. I know she'll be swamped.

Carol
    - that meme you posted about taking off the mask was ME yesterday. For some reason I couldn't breathe very well through it. And it was so uncomfortable, I was constantly pulling and tugging at it. It nearly gave me a panic attack. :s I thought this is crazy, it's supposed to keep me from touching my face and I'm touching it all the time now, especially around my eyes???? This was a mask I made and have worn just fine before. I don't know how medical providers who have to wear them all the time do it. Although theirs aren't made out of fabric with dogs and a pipe cleaner as a nose pinch. :p

Tonya - was it you who had questions about IF - Intermittent Fasting? Rebecca and Beth posted some good info about it.

There's an interesting video on Youtube called "Eat, Fast & Live Longer" that goes into what IF is all about. Some do it every day, some a couple days a week with reduced calories, etc. Fasting isn't not eating anything for a day or two at a time, which is what I used to think it was.

Very well done by the BBC (thanks to Heather who told about it a few years ago <3 ). Lots of food for thought and I re-watch it when I need to get back on the wagon.

And as Rebecca mentioned, there's the "Delay Don't Deny" book by Gin Stephens (she's written several on the topic) and her Facebook page - people of all ages posting their before and after photos, asking questions. And Dr. Jason Fung's book on Fasting. And Dr. Bert Herring's book on AC - appetite correction. Gin pulls it all together and their research was the basis for her.

I lost around 40 lbs thanks to Weight Watchers throughout the years and have bounced around since. I figure if I can fast for 14 hours or more I'm doing good and it seems to take my extra pounds off so I can wear my "honesty" jeans comfortably. Some days I'm lucky to make 12. I aim to log every day just to check on where I am protein and fiber-wise. But sometimes I don't.

As Barbie says, I keep tweaking it and it works.

Doing a 19:5 - not eating for 19 hours out of the day - isn't in the cards for me, plus since I'm pushing 70 it isn't recommended for some reason, although some that age do it and are just fine. Maybe because we need a little more protein as we age to keep our muscle mass? I'm not sure. If I'm just not hungry I can make it that long, which is good because of the benefits of dropping insulin - autophagy.

It doesn't work for everyone and takes some getting used to. My problem these days is the after dinner trips to the snack cupboard for chips, candy and cookies, plus ice cream. So setting an evening cutoff for eating and telling myself I can have it tomorrow during my "feeding window" has helped.

The sun is up, DH is up. Time to inspect the garden.

Lanette
    SW WA State - the Evergreen State today! B)