WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lanette > Yes it was me, Beth did explain it :) Thank you for the video! Not sure if it is something I could do. I would find it very difficult cooking for others when I was fasting ..lol I weigh everyday but only log it on Sundays, Since Sunday I seem to be the same still.. usually I see some kind of movement and the food hasn't changed.. Might have to switch things up a bit..

Congrats on your weight loss! That is fantastic! I do have quite alot to lose so will take me along time but just taking it one day at a time. I have bounced around with weight my entire life.

Gloomy and cold here today. I hate this weather, the sun always improves my mood!

Tonya UK

s0zok72fe63b.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    5.5C with a "feels like" temp of 1.8C.
    Coldest evening in a long time!
    🥶

I'm glad I bought the new flannel nightshirt ... I'm wearing it over my pyjamas!

In Australia, for reasons that are beyond me (born and raised Canadian), the houses aren't insulated. Or if you're lucky enough to get one that is, it isn't well insulated. If we owned our house, that would be one of the first things I'd do. I'd also install double pane windows.

The houses also don't have a furnace and ducts etc..

We've got what's called a split system. It sits high on the wall of our lounge room and produces air conditioning, heat, or is just a fan. Right now it's producing heat!

At the back of the house, there's a wall heater and the bathroom has a heater over the mirror. Occasionally when it gets really cold here, those are on too, but we try to avoid that because they're more expensive to run.

The toilet room is frosty because there's a built in open screened bit like in this photo (from a previous house). We've got a fairly heavy curtain and valence over it, but still, when the wind comes from that side of the house, it gets really chilly!

iye3mrvcbof7.png

So although it doesn't get "Canadian prairie winter cold" here, because the buildings aren't particularly well-built, it can feel very cool, especially if you're sitting in one spot for a while.

In one place I worked, during the winter, I dressed in two pair of socks, one pair was knee-length wool, long leggings, tall boots, a mid-calf skirt (because we had to dress up!), a merino wool base layer, a wool jacket (in case I had to go into a meeting) and a long wool cardigan over it. I topped it with a scarf around my neck and sometimes up around my ears ... and I'd sit there at my desk, all wrapped up with just my fingers and nose sticking out typing away on my computer ... and shivering!

But I'm learning tricks to stay warmer ... like for example, I got a mat to go on the floor under my home office setup. Even though we have carpet, the floor is quite cool to the touch, so I figured a $5 mat might be an extra layer of warmth and it seems to help. My feet aren't nearly as cold as usual. :)

Life down under!

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »

Tomorrow I break my “max one trip to town/day” rule as Tumble’s grooming appointment is as 8:30 and the soonest Library pickup appointment I could get was 1pm. Will stay home all day Thursday, meet friend for a stroll Friday, and stay home Saturday.

:) Today I am going to break my "max one trip in the car per week" rule. Jake is restless and wants to go to the grocery store. He has cabin fever and suddenly has an urge for some foods (cream cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, salmon spread) that we don't usually have in the house. I told him he can either go by himself or shop with me with his own cart and his own list and stay away from me. It's too hard to be mindful of everything and have someone with me. So he has his list and I have mine and we'll go right after dog walking. Neither the library nor dog grooming is open here so we don't have those temptations.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

It's been 2 weeks since we've gone out for more than a walk. In fact, we haven't left the yard in about 10 days. I've surprised myself but it really hasn't been necessary to go anywhere, and I've had no desire.

It has helped that the weather hasn't been brilliant. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be nicer, so hopefully we'll get out for a walk and bicycle ride. And we might have to pick up a certain type of catfood, but that's the only think I can think of that we need at a shop.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    I've got my refund from Sweaty Betty. :D That was quick!

Tonya - We are big fish and seafood eaters, and we try not to eat red meat too often. I eat proper vegetarian about once a week. Chicken, duck, yes. I confess to being a real foodie and I think about it nearly all the time. Luckily I like to cook! :D I don't have a sweet tooth, which helps. If I were on my own I would have more vegan days, but DH is not super keen.
    Tonight is the left over guinea fowl that I froze, with homemade pesto, zucchini, peas and tagliatelle. AF red wine.
    Dessert is stewed apples and black currants, with homemade yogurt.

Just had a Zoom with my old school friends. My difficult friend was a bit of a pain, but it was generally ok. My Glasgow friend, where I should be right now, has just heard from her son that his family has obtained permanent residence rights in Australia. As he has autistic twins plus another boy he was very dubious that he would get it, but he has. They are starting back at a special school next week. 7 in the class. He is a senior lecturer at Sydney uni. Of course it will be a while till she can see them all. :'(

Well must get on with prep for dinner.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I am happy to say that my son told us the restaurant company he was working at will be rehiring him. Prayers answered!

Carol in GA
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Michele- sure is I know how to make salsa y chips from scratch lol 😂

Amber Tx

Air fryer toast y cheese 🧀 cooking,can of sardines (2servings in a can),y lettuce. Well balanced meal. Later hotdogs y salad 🥗.
    Unknown what to do with my final 500+ calories still will see.

Vacuumed all morning now eat then exercising then laundry 🧺.After that unknown
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    5.5C with a "feels like" temp of 1.8C.

In Australia, for reasons that are beyond me (born and raised Canadian), the houses aren't insulated. Or if you're lucky enough to get one that is, it isn't well insulated. If we owned our house, that would be one of the first things I'd do. I'd also install double pane windows.

M in Oz

In Southern California, the houses are rarely insulated. Back in the day, the climate was such that it wasn't really needed. Now, we get winds (not breezes) coming up the canyon every day and in winter, they are bone-chilling. The only insulated room in our house is my bathroom. I insisted when we had it remodeled.

Tina in CA
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    On a drive yesterday, I found these. Not sure what they are but as big as a softball! Beautiful!

RV Rita

yy6xqa0hmevg.jpeg
    z6lq9u8eet8w.jpeg
    7dqo3c60031s.jpeg
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Happy May Birthdays!

Lisa - Rest that hip for sure just watch calories enjoy a good rest you’ll be back to normal in no time.

Amber Tx

BeUncommon- I was born when they still just sent you home told your parents to make arrangements for funeral she won’t make it through the night. Luckily grandma was a head hospital nurse she used her sick leave up round the clock took care of me I slept on Dads chest when he got home. They had to deal with mom breaking to boot. She was in the Doctor office for her first checkup Doctor announced it would be months before I would be born then her water broke on the table spread eagle Dad saw it all happen. No sonograms back then just looking down there y a stethoscope 🩺. Mom being special needs was hard to tell she was pregnant until her belly grew. Like me she bled during pregnancies which can be mistaken for periods. So unknown I had a full head of hair but was thin tiny red very red in color never could see but that wasn’t caught until I was 9yrs old (that’s the age I saw my Moms smile for the first time y people everything was a blur before that so felt my way around asked questions remembered all I could to pass school never could write my name in papers correctly since ai couldn’t see the page held books y tv 📺 with my nose pressed up to them). Born with a uterus that was malformed. Stomach conditions lots, died 4 times was brought back as a child,y I’m asthmatic. Have had stomach bleeds ,ulcers,don’t absorb nutrition y waters a lot of the time which is dangerous ,IBSD,Colitis ulcerative y microscopic, inflammation of the upper y lower GI tract,y chronic vomiting until I had my Daughter, y the inflammation from my stomach leaches out into skin cysts that look like acne (Dermatologist y gastronologist have to work together to get rid of them minocycline works the best tho with steroidal creams). I took bone growth steroids to other types of steroids to fix a lot of issues. Lived on y out of hospitals even as a kid. Finally as an adult off all meds y healthy lifestyle Gods help with a mask on every winter I been out of hospitals y living life. I looked like a red beet with long black chimpanzee hair lol 😂. They stuck me in puffy dresses so my thin skin y tiny frame looked normal as possible. Lol being bright red nothing can make it look normal lol 😂. I gave the cameraman for my first foot the middle finger big grin after he was picking on my mom because of her being on the spectrum. Even as a newborn I stood up for her. Couldn’t see but my ears worked just fine! They put that photo up me giving the middle finger all over the hospital with my Grandmas name on it how I was the granddaughter of the meanest nurse they had lol there’s my middle finger up for all to see with a look that let you know I knew what I was doing. The picture for the living room was with my middle finger out but hadn’t turned it upright yet...hospital y grandma has the one with me proudly displaying it up in the air lol. They struggled feeding me I slept a lot even when I ate. Didn’t cry even which worried them a lot. My Dad forbidden me to die said it in my ear as a newborn so I fought twice as hard. I’ll die when Gods ready not a moment before that.

If I find the pic I’ll upload it lol you guys can get a laugh
  • 55gidget
    55gidget Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Newcomer..found this thread and really like it. Thanks!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    My grandma house still isn’t insulated no need in the desert with a swamp cooler blowing one propane gas heater on the wall as old as Moses himself (rusty old thing lol 😂 should hear the noise when it’s on)

Amber Tx

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rita: I love your beautiful photo. The plant looks like a member of the dandelion/thistle family. :star:
    Sorry to hear that raccoons are bothering your plants. I think I‘ve already shared my rant on raccoons. :grumble:

Amber: I’ve had to wear glasses for many years. Like Machka, I have progressive lenses in my glasses. I can glance down and things are in focus, and glance out the window and those things are also in focus. They are not inexpensive, but they last for years. I hope you find just what you need. My mom had bifocals. My daughter bought two pair glasses off of the rack at a glasses store. One pair is for distance, such as driving. The other pair is for reading & paperwork. They were affordable and it worked out okay for her. Good luck. :star:

Barbie: Apparently Safeway is rationing meat like TP. I buy fish at their meat counter but prefer another store for beef and poultry. The last time I bought meat at Safeway, the beef was more thinly sliced than I expected. :ohwell:

Lisa: Levi has he happiest smile! :heart:

Sistergetu: Welcome to a great group! I hope you’ll stop by often for encouragement and support. :heart: I’m sorry that you have heart failure. I agree with Barbie, walking is a great exercise. Start with a short walk close to home. My husband has balance issues because of MS. He has two different wheeled walkers with seats. He can walk for a bit, and then sit down and rest until he is ready to walk a little bit more. He bought one of them through Amazon, and another one at Walgreens. Both are good quality. We have a two-story home. One walker stays upstairs and the other one stays down stairs. :flowerforyou:

(((Rori))) Thank you so much for stopping by! I think of you often. DH says hi to you, too. :heart: :heart: :heart:

Styx Gal: Welcome!!! Good for you to that your DH & brother are doing this with you. Stop by often for encouragement. If your DH and brother are planning to use MFP, good for them. There are likely groups for men that may interest them. :flowerforyou:

Machka: I’ll be cycling indoors today, too. I need to burn some calories and keep my blood circulating. :smiley:

Barbara: Today would be Schooner’s regular appointment with the groomer, but he’s been having pain problems so we’re keeping him home for now. :ohwell:

SuziQ: Happy Birthday! I’m happy that you’re taking a couple of vacation days. You’ve earned them many times over. :star:

Karen: I love the cat alarm clock!!! You put a smile on my face. Thank you. :bigsmile:

KJ: Joaquin & Miguel are sooooo cute! Thanks for the happy photo. :star:

Lanette: I can’t quite understand why the dog groomer can stay open but the beauty shop can’t. In the case of the dog groomer, the people stay in their cars, the groomer goes out and gets the dog and then returns the dog to the parking lot when it is done. Dog owners never go in the door. It fits the rules our governor has imposed regarding social distancing. Too bad the beautician can’t do something similar. :ohwell:

I went to a city meeting yesterday evening in person. Part of the people were there in person, and others were present via Zoom. Those of us in the room were at appropriate social distances. I was set up to participate via Zoom, but I chose to go in person after all.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
    Oooo
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    KJ - I know how much you are missing your beautiful grandsons. HUG. <3

My face masks arrived today. I only bought 20 in case I need to use them sometime. Normally I'm not anywhere near anyone. :*
    Haven't been to a supermarket in ages.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FOR TOMORROW SuzyQ! :drinker:

I spotted a mistake in DH's quiz about how the Earth began. :o Well, it is one of my special interests. :)

Lewis repeat tonight. One of the earliest ones.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    Hugs Ladies!
    This week has gone by fast! Its already Wednesday, top of the mountain, time to walk down to the weekend! Well those of us retired well every day is a weekend.
    I wrote 2 pen pals yeaterday, and completed my first friendship flip book.
    3r86h7rc2oj2.jpg
    3ddzpxdataz3.jpg
    pf13dgcsuepx.jpg
    9fgcae18fg7m.jpg
    ge683lsj5yga.jpg
    sulzp2kxe4dz.jpg

It was a fun project! Need to do that for all my pals.👍
    Today if it doesn't rain, we need to rake more. Kind of never ending job.
    Thanks for the kind words on my journey, Athena, and sisters call. Yep, I am blessed.
    Well heading to mail this booklet, and letters. Today might be soup. I shall be more specific later.
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Katla- Progressive lens sounds like a good idea. My current lenses cost over $350 per eye. My prescription too high to buy off a rack at all. My mom y Daughter are lucky low prescriptions so they both could grab off even a dollar store rack it worked. I can’t see far away or up close or in the middle without glasses lol poor hubby gotten good in emergencies he grabs tosses them on my face as we get a national weather warnings or JR needs me.

Has anyone tried this brand? Does it taste good? I’m interested in trying the chorizo when stores have stuff easily available again.
    jn97bpe03t01.jpeg
    b1o6oi0xlx5p.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options