WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Karen - Divorce her! :laugh:

Lisa - Sorry you are feeling a bit pressured by the powers that be. I don't know your situation, but it could be they realise your job sucks at the moment, not through any fault of your own, and want to give you a different focus. But I know nothing. :|

Went for my run. Lovely out, not too hot. We noticed a few more people on the beach and a long SD queue for ice cream, but generally I was able to weave my way around everyone. Most people are very careful.
    On the way home we stopped at the deli for spinach and garlic and chatted to the owner. This crisis has been very good for him.
    Tonight we are having lamb and sweetcorn curry, with spinach and a bit of basmati rice. Raita. AF day again. :Do:)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Barbie: We’re well stocked up at this moment. We shopped at our local IGA. The nearest Costco to us is in Hillsboro and it isn’t a drive we want to make. It is about 28 miles from here, and in an area with much higher incidence of Covid 19. :grumble:

Kate UK & SuziQ: Happy Lockdown Birthday! Tomorrow will be DH’s Lockdown Birthday. He turns 73. We haven’t sorted out what to do to celebrate. I’ve suggested Thai food for his birthday dinner but DH hasn’t responded yet. We have a local Thai restaurant that will happily provide take out or delivery. :star:

(((Lisa))): No advice, just HUGS. It has to be an extra challenge for the Girl Scout leaders and families to have a fabulous organization for girls who can’t meet and have fun due to the Covid 19 Plague. My granddaughter in Illinois is one of those girls. :ohwell:

Lanette: It may be a rainy day here, too. The sidewalks are damp but it isn’t raining at this moment. Yesterday we had a nice long ramble along the river front. I planted my beans last week and see that some are sprouting up. :bigsmile:

Heather: Sorry to hear that your difficult friend is getting obsessed with politics. Loneliness can lead to mental health troubles. Perhaps the political situation is providing her with a target for her energy. Mad may be better than sad. I am so grateful that DH is still alive and well. I don’t even want to imagine living alone, day after day. :noway:

Machka: What a beautiful place to walk or run! Good for you! :star:

Momnafit: Welcome! What country or state do you call home? :flowerforyou:

I have a load of laundry going and DH is still asleep. Luckily for me, I have a library book available to read on my handy iphone.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Karen- Threading a needle I wet it y guess I can’t see it even up against my glasses or one eye closed with it up close. It takes so many tries I usually cut the tip of the thread 🧵 wet try again y again . I do finally get it I used to dip it in wax candles then thread to do upholstery. Dad doesn’t remember how far along she was but he had to sleep with me in his chest all night y morning (I was born winter time) to keep me warm at night skin to skin contact benefits wasn’t even public knowledge back then. I get chronic bronchitis to fun sinus infections yearly since birth. She was at her first only appointment when the water burst preeclampsia. Good news is I was born exactly 5pm Dinner time in Thanksgiving Day so she got a lobster 🦞 dinner y treated like a queen 👑 for having the Thanksgiving baby of the year . Mom was in labor 26hrs I ingested my own waste so wasn’t smooth sailing but she remembered her Huge lobster talked about that a lot lol. I don’t know how early I was them either they just decided I wasn’t going to make it so was making me comfortable. My grandma shifts she grabbed me carried me around the hospital after her shift stayed she wouldn’t let any other nurse touch me lol she told them she didn’t trust the lot of them lol 😂. She wasn’t known for being kind nurse more the spitting nails type who told Doctors off. She was loved for her toughness tho she tried to go back to work for this Virus at her age! They of course told her no cause she’s in her 90’s .Being farmers they had plenty of small to huge bottles I fed poorly y latched poorly so grandpa sat with a dropper of goats milk behind Dads back y Dad was using soy milk on me. They kept me upright to try to keep the milk in . My uncle Vietnam veteran y my aunt carried me around for hours to took care of me. My moms mom came stayed the minute they realized mom was pregnant y after I was born she sat talking to me for hours sewd me coat I still have it y lots of blankets to doilies . My Grandma y grandpa are from the same family tree so all the relatives came out to help y even feed me as a newborn to toddler sewd my clothes to blankets. Neighbors still best friends with our family from it all they helped care for the animals on the farm during that time they still to this day take care of each other’s farm . I know I had a full set of hair delayed on every milestone lol they were afraid I’d never talk now afraid I’ll never shut up lol 😂. I was a weakling still get called that by grandma .

Amber Tx

Not sure where in the garage is my pictures tried to find them but only found a broken picture frame had to clean that up first.

Hubby hunting for foods he needs Vegan ones haven’t found them for months for him. I miss having some of that now that I know how to add foods y scan I can finally add my foods 100% correctly was finding closest thing until now on the lists of foods I saw. So ate bacon,turkey bacon,or vegan bacon lol all got listed the same. Apparently that’s why my calories went down got stuck at the last pounds. Now their budging again
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Uncommon- Randie has the nice red tint too I see.I had lot more hair but looked very similar .

Amber Tx

JR was premature but too big for the NICU lol . Gigantism. If he was born the day before he would be under the age the hospital saves they said unless he was a fighter made it on his own. I kept having close calls they managed to stop labor every time. He was scheduled for a early Csection y Nicu that Monday but came earlier than the Doctor wanted. Luckily they gave me a shots to develop him just in case prior during my close calls so he was fully developed.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    And my spouse is easily put off by complex tastes; she is a supertaster, and can't abide cilantro, anise, red pepper, and a few other herbs & spices, several vegetables, or any dish where she can't identify all of the ingredients, so it's a no-brainer for me to stick to a simpler food prep philosophy. She isn't a very imaginative cook, and doesn't enjoy it except for baking, so I do a lot of the food preparation.

I'm with her!

When it comes to food ...

I have a limited sense of smell, so most food tastes simply sweet, salty, sour, bitter, or umami.

Umami was a new one to me, but it turns out that foods that are umami-rich taste bad to me. One list includes: tomatoes (especially dried tomatoes), Parmigiano cheese, anchovies, cured ham, seaweed, mushrooms, and cultured and fermented foods (especially cheese and soy, fish, and Worcestershire sauces). Other lists include meats in general, seafood in general, green tea, and marmite ... probably vegemite too. The Parmigiano cheese is all right because it tastes salty to me ... the rest are just not good.

You could make your way down this list: https://www.umamiinfo.com/richfood/ ... and most of the things on there I won't touch. Of the 24 veggies listed, 10 are probably OK. Of the rest of the stuff, I'll eat white chicken breast and some hard cheeses like cheddar and gouda.

I have been told that it is possible my sense of smell could change when I have my nose straightened. We'll see!

Meanwhile I tend to eat by texture and prefer salty foods for main courses and sweet foods for desserts.

As it happens, my husband who had a good sense of taste and smell lost both in the accident which resulted in a severe brain injury. So he eats by texture now too and by a memory of what food should taste like. He also goes by feel. For example, salty food has a different feel to it . . . he can tell if there is a lot of salt in something so he doesn't use as much salt anymore.

So ... we don't eat much meat and what we do eat is usually chicken. Occasionally we'll go out for fish and chips. I supplement my protein by eating cheese, yogurt, and seeds like sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds. Occasionally I'll eat nuts but they tend to be very high in calories so I limit them to times of high exercise.

We are not having a meat shortage here, but even if we were ... it wouldn't bother me. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday 🎉🎈🎊🎁 Kate UK and SuziQ!!!!
    Debby in Va
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,700 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Kate UK, and SuziQ~
    went shopping this morning.. what a nightmare... I am home now, will pick the boys up from the groomers and drop Homer off and come home
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I have just finished my dinner, angus beef burger on whole wheat roll with onion and mustard. First time I have had a burger in quite awhile and I love burgers...lol Also a side of fried mushrooms as a filler :) Total calories 467. I also am not eating bread either so even though I crave white bread I went with the whole wheat instead :)

Train Rides :)

l7xqak54vriz.jpg
    jaaygbaxre7s.jpg

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,489 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: Tumble to groomer, Freddie’s, Post Office, BiMart, Farmers’ Market
    Bonus: set out the snow peas
    Get to do: invest 10 mins cleaning Dining Room, carry over 10 mins cleaning Office, bedrooms, both bathrooms, mat work, BB&B, firehouse mtg minutes, learn new dances, transplant oregano and parsley, make garlic almonds for Dan, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Charmin Ultra Soft back on the shelves, hooray! Bumble Bee Solid White Albacore in water, shelves empty. All Bumble Bee gone, only Kroger or StarKist. Picked up some Beneful and canned chicken breast for the dogs. Beneful @ $1.99 ea vs chicken @ $8.99/6 = $1.50 can… and we can eat the chicken… think I’ll pick up a six pack every time I go in.

Karen in VA 5 am cat alarm :lol:
    Lanette Envy you your raised bed and sunny garden spot. Saw 3 volunteer potatoes when I set out the snow peas-in-KJ’s-egg carton yesterday morning. Noticed the pea part pushing up through the potting soil so sprinkled a little more over, all this in the rain. Pouring down rain again all day today, but will hope for a break this morning when I can set out my 3 little seed potatoes.
    Yes it is weird our groomer is open for drop off and pickup only when the hair and nail salons aren’t. Either animal care is considered essential or it is thought that pets cannot transmit the virus? Taking Shadow to the vet Friday for a nail trim and her first bath. Yup, both Tumble and Shadow have black nails and I shudder to think of nicking the quick. Joe noticed that Tumble trembles when she knows she’s going in for a bath. Guess I should really get a waist high table, tub and stand dryer and do it myself, but oh my, that’s a lot of $$ and work. Like you, Joe loves deep fried chicken gizzards. :sick: Your maintaining mental health strategy sounds pretty good to me.
    Heather and Lanette, yup Joe’s hear is awesome, I envy it myself.
    Carol “the new taking off your bra…” tea-snorter! :lol: Thankful for your son’s good news.
    Tonya I am so with you on Heather’s squid stew and all seafood. I did try lobster, I have tried fish, fried, baked and smoked, clam chowder, crab dip, shrimp rolls. :sick: The only fish I can make myself eat is my own tuna salad. Basta. Shivered/shuddered at your beautiful little sssnnaake charmer. :noway:
    Barbie our library is only open for drop off and pickup of holds. No browsing. :cry: At first glance I thought you planted heartburn seeds. My progressives must be slipping… gee when was my last eye checkup?
    Rita could be western salsify? http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4940/2146/1600/Yellowsalsmany.jpg
    Amber bold newborn! So glad you listened to your Dad  If you have gluten sensitivity, avoid seitan. I’m not gluten sensitive but the only time I ate it, boy was I miserable.
    Welcome @55gidget!
    Katla Hope Schooner’s pain eases soon.
    Heather will you share DH’s how the earth began quiz? Brava for taking the high road with your York friend.
    Rebecca you are so creative!
    Penny WOW! The cost of the bunad plus silver ornaments, shoes and purse almost make a Scotsman’s kilt and Prince Charlie jacket seem like a bargain. Look forward to seeing you in full regalia.
    Lisa didn’t know parts of the Western salsify were edible… not sure I want to eat anything called “dubius” ;) but then again, always glad to hear of a locally available source of fresh greens, especially now. Work rant:
    IMHO a PIP (not you dear pip) no matter how presented, is still a PIP, and is by nature concerning. To shift you from a measurable, if difficult, goal to a loosey goosey, unmeasurable, subjective goal, fie! Forewarned is forearmed. Big confident smile, cooperative attitude and humor, you’ve got this, gal!
    Tina :love: bathroom ceiling heating lights, remember the first one I saw when staying at the Disneyland Hotel in 1958. If we ever remodel my bath, that is going on top of the wishlist.
    Beth :heart: the latest rainbow story. Great connection, great gift.
    Michele what is it that made the Zumba Gold Cardio Party DVD a condo candidate?
    Kim Brava for your grow-your-own-veggies as a strategy to regain a semblance of control. Will you be sharing your training videos?
    Tracey 2030??? :noway: :love: the Michaela story :laugh:
    The very happiest of birthdays to you Kate!
    LuciB maybe fear triggers cortisol, making matters worse. Is there any way you can laugh at the fear or at least channel it into anger/determination?
    Karen thanks for the Miss Love pics. Archeology and Westminster two of my favorite things. Oh to have been at a nearby booth for one of those annual Tavern on the Green parties.
    Machka gorgeous pic of the reserve trail. What good weather you had!
    Welcome @momnafit !

Beth, Tonya, all moms (and grandmoms Karen and Kylia) of miracle babies, and Amber the original miracle baby herself. Bravissima!

Just heard on the news our rural county (4 cases, all recovered) has been approved to move into Phase I effective tomorrow. Mixed emotions. Ecstatic at the thought we might be able to dance or BB&B again, socially distanced in groups of fewer than 10. Happy to think might be able to sit in Fat Irish for that pint and chat with Denise or Carol. Anxious that visitors to the beaches (both local and from away) won’t practice social distancing and we’ll have an outbreak. I am reluctantly admitting that at 70 and a former smoker, I am “vulnerable”. Worried since our nearest hospital (25 mi north) has no ICU. Shaking off the negatives and rejoicing in the hopeful now.

Oops, Joe’s gone to town for firelogs so now’s my chance to vacuum …

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps= 4571 vits=12 log=13 CI<CO=11 CI<250<CO=4 Tumble & Shadow 5=9 mfp=13 clean 10 mins=11 outside=10 up hill=12
    wkly: BB&B x3= rx=2 dance=
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=6 play=0 sew=0
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday SuziQ and Kate UK!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,343 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Did Chris Powell Levels 2 & 3. This one is definitely going in the garbage, WAYYY to easy. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Karen Voit Get Fit Firm and Fast DVD.

Went to Sam’s to see about the rib eye for Steve. I always got it here and it was good. They didn’t have any rib eye. So went to WalMart. They only had Choice so I got that, not sure how it’ll be. I also got 2 pork tenderloins. I forgot the bag with the Ground Clear in it so I had to go back, then sprayed the weeds on the pavers

Kate UK – happy birthday

Momnafit – welcome!!! I find that if I don’t do my exercise first thing in the morning, it doesn’t get done. I tried going for a walk after dinner, but that didn’t last. I just have a muffin in the morning, then exercise, then a big breakfast. Maybe if you can find one time and consistently exercise at that time it’ll help you???

Pip – when is your birthday? Yes, momnafit, she WILL give you her opinion, sometimes more than you’d want….lol

Lisa – (((HUG)))

Tonya – you definitely deserved that award. How talented you are!

Katla – happy early birthday to your hubby

Is there some way to search for posts that just one person made? Machka, I know a while ago you posted a link about some positive thoughts, I would like to find that. I think it was probably months ago. Anyway, if I can search for only the posts that you made, then maybe I could find it.

Michele NC
  • Shonafreshstart
    Shonafreshstart Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @spikeyhair Happy birthday!
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Turns out it was a purple western salsify. Took a screenshot of the picture. I’ll have to look for one flowering that didn’t fluff up yet!

d2raa7r7txhm.png

Found this little guy who obliged me taking his picture. Also a wild yucca (Spanish sword type) flowering.

RV Rita

2ux5xmpunw99.jpeg
    mp08a1ec57au.jpeg
  • Shonafreshstart
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon I just remember the name and that my family liked her recipes. If you say its simple, I'll have a look at Elizabeth David on line...
  • Shonafreshstart
    Options
    @SophieRosieMom thank you.
    Alsace Lorraine is an interesting place. I've only been a couple of times but it's very much a place of mixed cultures. Well played worth teleporting!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Barbara- I’m lucky not to have a gluten allergy but do use some gluten free foods everything in moderation! Seitan luckily ate it as a kid with moms Vegan/Vegetarian relatives never had issues with it or soy meats.

For Zoomers in this Zoom era funny

https://youtu.be/b4FkyjcN5mQ

https://youtu.be/VWHVQD7SmGU

Amber Tx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,916 Member
    Options
    1978896mv7bedbgri.gif

:) Happy Birthday Kate and SuzieQ. I hope you are able to honor this day in a way that is happy for you.