skuehn48 Posts: 2,821 Member
    Options
    Happy birthday SuziQ and Kate!

Katla, best wishes to your DH tomorrow.

Everyone take care Sue in WA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue, I’ll pass along your good wishes to DH. He will be happy to hear them. ⭐️🌺⭐️
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Tracey The fashionista and the hippie are adorable!

>>>

Katla Happy Birthday to your husband. What are your favorite things to order from your favorite Thai restaurant?

>>>

Heather I hope your brother & his wife will be OK at the protest.

>>>

Zoodles, shrimp, & garlic for dinner last night. So delicious.

>>>

ZOOMing with my buddies from high school in Nebraska this morning. Can't wait!!!

>>>

Karen in Virginia
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It looks like I might be home till mid-July. :)

Things I've liked since being at home from the end of March ...

Being home all day with my husband. I've got a better understanding of how his day goes.
    Spending time with Rhody, getting to know him and getting him settled into our home.
    Being able to go outside to walk, run or cycle in daylight, despite the fact that the daylight hours are getting shorter.
    Having the energy to exercise regularly.
    Seeing more people outside exercising. :)
    Being able to sleep at least half an hour more each night than I was.
    Being able to go for a nap in the afternoon occasionally.
    Not having to spend 9-10 hours a week commuting!!!
    Spending my days with a 180° view of the bay and trees and outside instead of a wall.
    Being in an environment that rarely gives me sore, itchy eyes, sore throat, cough, and the sneezes.
    Being able to clean this and that.
    Wearing casual, comfy clothes.
    Not having as much stuff vying for my time.
    More time to work on my two courses at uni.
    Working remotely at my own pace ... which might lead to continued remote work ... maybe ... hopefully!
    Being able to attend church online.
    Feeling much more relaxed and less stressed!

Just to name a few. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Some exercise advice ... suggestions ...

Use a tracking device other than Fitbit. I don't use FitBit ... I mainly use Strava connected to Zwift, Wahoo, and a Concept2 rowing app.

I record time and distance, but I'm not out to beat anything. Training isn't about beating your time (or distance) each time you do something, it's about variety and a goal.

For example, when I was training to do the ultracycling, I'd have a plan something along these lines:

Monday - rest day where I might cycle a very short distance, or perhaps just walk. Maybe yoga.
    Tuesday - intervals or hill repeats
    Wednesday - moderate distance at a reasonably quick pace
    Thursday - intervals or hill repeats
    Friday - rest day where I might cycle a very short distance, or perhaps just walk. Maybe yoga.
    Saturday - long, long day at a comfortable pace
    Sunday - long day at a comfortable pace

For my long, long ride on Saturdays, I would extend the distance each week for 3 weeks, and then on the 4th week, cut back. So it might be 50 km, 60 km, 70 km, and then down to 55 km. Then I would start again with 60 km, 70 km, 80 km, and cut back to 65 km. And so on until I was cycling 160 km or 200 km or whatever.

If you just keep pushing harder and harder, then you burn out and don't reach your goal.

Oh and also ... I have trouble sticking to any kind of plan without a goal. It's hard for me to just exercise an hour a day unless there's a reason to exercise an hour a day. Right now, I don't have a goal.

It's difficult to have a cycling goal now because my husband likes to cycle with me. I would like to say that we'll aim to do a 50 km ride next month. I know he can do a 50 km ride because we have built up to it and have ridden that distance once since his accident ... but his energy and fitness goes in waves and changes from one day to the next. So he might be up for a 50 km ride next month ... or maybe not. I just don't know. Prior to the accident, if I said, let's go cycle 100 km this weekend ... we would. So it's a bit frustrating now.

I'd also like to make a running goal, and may I just need to do that. I ran 8 km on the treadmill the other day and realised I could probably do 10 km. And I've done 5K outside. So maybe that will be my goal for this month ... a 10K on the treadmill.

Machka in Oz
    I'm Machka and I am in Tasmania, Australia. :)

Some of my favourite hobbies/sports/activities include:
    -- cycling
    -- walking
    -- hiking
    -- running
    -- reading
    -- working on my website
    -- photography

I bake, but don't cook, sew, knit, garden, etc.

Most of my day is spent working with health data, "attending" university (online now), doing homework, and spending time with my husband (who suffered a severe traumatic brain injury 2 years ago) and new kitty, Rhody.
  • Machka9
    edited May 2020
    Options
    op409h0tqcgl.png

38eqhtft107f.png

crszk3dkbh71.png

25z9dbd45hzd.png

79m2ii3s2sbw.png

And if you're interested ...
    https://www.actionforhappiness.org/calendars
    hhti5njly0ab.png

Machka in Oz

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Fond greetings to everyone.

To say I was overwhelmed by all of the birthday wishes is an understatement. Thank you all for remembering me. I loved the commentary and the memes. It was a great day and I did exactly as planned…..whatever I wanted.

Kate – We share a birthday! I hope you had a great day and are looking forward to your new year of adventure and celebration of life.

Beth – Thank you for sharing your rainbow story. It brought tears of joy to my eyes. And, like you I am recognizing the silver lining in our current situation and remembering there are silver linings within those gray clouds. LOL – not signing your post! I really laughed over that. And, to tell you the truth I would not have put that together either!

Shona – Most times the easiest/less ingredient meals are the best. One of my good friend’s mothers always told us, “Do not junk up the meals.”. She is entirely correct. We do not want to overwhelm a meal/recipe to a point where we cannot tell what we are tasting.

Kim – I love seeing how frugally I can make meals/feed myself for a period of time. I think you have me beat! I take advantage of all sales, coupons, BOGOs, etc.. And, do find leaning towards a vegetarian diet is definitely more cost effective. I find myself on the few occasions when I enjoy a meal out saying to myself, “Geez, I could have made this for $xyz.”. OMGWTF!!!!! You are certainly a better person than me – I would have been ranting at those AS-LS!!! Sometimes I wish Karma was immediate. Sorry about my language – I have so much to say on the topic. It is too bad you really love what you are doing there. It would be hard for me to look any of them (at least the ones who had such hateful things to say) in the eye going forward.

Karen – I am looking forward to hearing about your harvests; along with others in the group. Our tomato, bean, pepper, corn, etc. season is almost near its end. I was sorry to hear about Iris Love’s passing, she was ahead of her time. I love the sunset pictures – beautiful.

Luci – Oh, she is getting so big. Her look of wonder and joy is all over her sweet face!

Lisa – I completely understand your feelings of today’s meeting. Here’s a spin……your employer realizes this year is going to be a tough one for fund raising given the current market. Instead of your success being measured in dollars they are attempting to find a way to keep the staff members they want to keep for the long haul. So go in with an open heart and mind. Sending positive thoughts to you. Keep up posted! Sam Elliot – LMAO and so true!

Heather – Great control. I find myself just saying, hm, ok, etc. during those types of conversations. You may want to suggest to her to schedule an appointment. It may be time for some adjustments to her medication. It’s sad, but most times those who are suffering with mental illness are the last ones to realize an episode is building. Sad choice for your brother and his wife.

Machka – The trail is beautiful. What a wonderful place.

Tonya – Seriously love your pictures. Such a talent you have….It’s sad, but with the phone cameras photography, I feel, is a dying art. For my burgers, other than using the best beef I can afford and very little of it 3-4 ounces I use pita bread. It greatly reduces the amount of calories and allows for the beef and cheese to shine through.

Tracey – Michaela shops at one of my favorite shoe stores!  The grands are beautiful.

Katla – HB to DH!

I will be posting in a little bit about my BD. I wanted to catch up with all of your first!

Big virtual hugs to you all!
    SuziQ - SFL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    SuziQ - I'm going to have to approach her gently. I definitely think the strain is telling on her. :# You are managing so well on your own, but I know I couldn't do it. I think the danger of thoughts endlessly circling around my head would send me over the edge.

My butcher's order arrived! :D I've sorted it all and stashed it in the freezer. Tonight we are having Cumberland sausages and roasted butternut squash and zucchini. They did give me a whole lamb shoulder :o:o , very expensive, but the left overs are very freezable and make great curries and pilaffs.
    We will have it tomorrow with roasted fennel etc. I roast it in beer/lager.

On with my memoir! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Y'all are the best - I really appreciate the "spin" y'all have put on my morning meeting, and will go in with positive preconceived notions instead of negative ones.

I've been in both chairs, both of placing someone working for me on the performance improvement plan as the first step to firing them eventually, and I've been laid off with zero warning, along with the entire team I managed. I also know that part of today is for my supervisor to get the training she needs from HER supervisor in how to manage these kind of situations. Otherwise, my bosses boss would not be in the meeting. Should be interesting.

All these things said, what made me truly relax was when I ran my budget spreadsheet extrapolation with the nuclear option (quitting), and realized we can accomplish everything we planned to this year and still get out of the year without touching savings. It will take a little belt tightening, but it's very achievable.

Anyway... time to get a few things done,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,544 Member
    Options
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,208 Member
    Options
    Machka - I've screenshotted your chart. :D I like that Arthur Ashe quote, but I change it a bit when I'm encouraging people to exercise.
    Start where you are. Do what you can. It's more than you think.
    Certainly worked for me.

Great pic of Viv, Lisa. <3

Love Heather UK
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    SuziQ - I'm going to have to approach her gently. I definitely think the strain is telling on her. :# You are managing so well on your own, but I know I couldn't do it. I think the danger of thoughts endlessly circling around my head would send me over the edge.

My butcher's order arrived! :D I've sorted it all and stashed it in the freezer. Tonight we are having Cumberland sausages and roasted butternut squash and zucchini. They did give me a whole lamb shoulder :o:o , very expensive, but the left overs are very freezable and make great curries and pilaffs.
    We will have it tomorrow with roasted fennel etc. I roast it in beer/lager.

On with my memoir! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Heather - From the short time I have been getting to know you I think you would do fine on your own. You have survived so much during your lifetime. This little break in our stride is nothing in comparison and you have adapted so well by using technology, keeping active, cooking with enjoyment, and just getting on with it. We have both had our "days" but like most survivors have analyzed them, found balance with our feelings, and put them where they belong.

This may have been a little more difficult for me if I was retired, but since I am still working many hours of the day are used up by work. I am actually starting to dislike the hours work takes up because it takes me away from the things I want to do. :blush:
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Yesterday was a great day and I was happy I did not make any plans and just did exactly what came to mind as the day unfolded. I was actually able to sleep in a little (4:30!!) which was a nice change. I was up a few times during the night, but only for a few moments and was able to get right back to sleep.

My original plan was to paint the upstairs but since my vacation had to be cut short I decided I would hold off on that project. Yes, I can paint one room at a time, but that is really painful because everything has to be cleaned up over and over again. When one can move from room to room, rollers, brushes, etc. can be placed in a plastic bag and just used the next day. It makes for quicker work and less clean up.

Too long of a BD story – I will not bore all of you – spoiled it for those who may be interested.

Overview – Awakened when I wanted, shopped, ate and drank what I wanted, exercised to make up for those additional calories, spoke with friends, had fun with the cat, and treated myself to something I wanted for quite a few months, and overall had a wonderful day.
    As you all know I have been downsizing for quite some time. I have gotten all of my clothes in my closet and have no need for the large chest of drawers (9 of them) in the master bedroom. During the past two weeks I have attempted to get rid of it. A friend’s aunt owns a consignment and also takes donations for various organizations. Can you believe she told me that no one takes Formica furniture? I was taken back because during my childhood my mother and I would take decent furniture from the trash, clean it up, refinish it, and that is how we furnished our home! The piece I have is solid and has no damage. There are now products one can use to refinish it and make it look more up-to-date. I simply cannot believe people who have little or nothing can be so selective – seriously? Anyway, I contacted the Salvation Army and they will be picking it up on Monday with a host of other things I have been wanting to donate/get rid of.

Since my painting plans were curtailed I decided I would run around and price out a new hose holder. The one I had broken a few years ago and I would have to manually wrap the hose. I know it’s not a big deal for most, but here in Florida we sometimes have to water every day during the summer months. It is so much easier to crank a handle to put the hose up. Over my journeys out to pick up essentials I noticed there is a hose holder that uses the water to automatically roll up the hose. When I looked at the price I almost fainted! When I checked the prices for the one I currently have but can no longer use I was also shocked! What the heck happened with hose holders?! Again, I noticed the darn thing over my essential runs and saw it at Costco a few weeks back. The price was much less at Costco, but still a little out of my budget.

I decided I would start at Walmart and recheck the hose holders while picking up some essentials. Walmartians had a reasonable one but it sits on the ground. I knew I would end up not being happy bending over days on end to crank the darn hose. My next stop was Home D and I saw the one I had but again the price! I also looked at the auto-crank one and almost bought it……then said, no, let it go for now. I ran home, sanitized the things I purchased at Walmartians and put everything up and away. At this point I knew Costco was open so decided I would go and get some much needed vegetables and supplies. And, of course I had to run through the seasonal isles. Well, while perusing I noticed the auto-crank hose holder and said to myself, “SuziQ, practice what you preach. Get the darn hose holder you want and be done with it.”. Please note when I first saw them at Costco there must have been 100 units, yesterday there were 4 left.

When I got home another round of sanitation and putting things up ensued. I then set up the new hose holder. I know this sounds extremely silly but I am so darn happy with the thing and it is worth the few extra dollars I paid for it. It will be put to good use since I love the garden and it falls in lines with treating ourselves as we wish those around us would treat us. And, honestly, at Costco the price was half of the other stores/online research. And soooooo worth it to me.

I had easy meals thanks to Dunkin Donuts and Costco. Celebrated with two small 5 ounce bottles of Prosecco and even cheesecake for my BD cake/treat.

Birthday celebration will continue today with getting rid of every single item of clothing that is too big for me. I have been holding on to a few items I can still wear with belts and/or under a jacket. Since the Salvation Army will be here sometime on Monday I might as well take advantage of the pickup. Less time taken away from things I would much rather be doing.

Oh, much too much written about a hose holder, but oh does it bring me joy!

And, the best birthday present……my county is finally moving on to loosening things up. On Monday restaurants will be able to be open at 50% capacity along with many other stores. I will not be rushing out and will be selective on my outings, but am rejoicing for the people who have had to sacrifice so much since mid-March. I am praying they survive and thrive.

Hugs to all.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • SuziQ113
    Options
    Geez, I have a lot to say today. Nothing like three huge posts. Just feel the need to connect with all of you and truth be told I may not be able to visit over the next week because of work and the go live. Prepare for the worst…..and I know it is going to be bad as I have never experienced such a cluster. TG my team is ready for this and management, at least on my side of the fence, is well-informed.

Barbara – Thank you for sharing the link and although I did not run through the scenarios the article is basically in line with my feelings. I have probably been out more than most sensible people would consider safe, but since I live alone, am in relatively good health, and have safe practices in place I feel OK with my practices. After almost a total month in lock down and during my first outings fear was overriding common sense. And, for my own sanity knew I had to start going out a little more frequently. I am glad I did and will continue to do so. I am most hesitant about going back to the office where there are too many people and no way for fresh air to circulate. TG there are no plans for us returning to the office until June 1st and the date is still tentative.

For those of you who are experiencing setbacks with your get healthy plans it is very understandable. I am glad I got pissed off at covid-19 at the end of March and decided I would not let it control any more of my life and I would control the things I was able to control. I could be in the same place as many of your right now if my life were just a tad to the right or left when we started to shelter in place. Now that you realize and are not happy with the results it’s time to get back on track. Or as Pip would say….give yourselves the boot. You all know what has worked for you and what you need to do. There are some things others just cannot do for you and this is one of those things. I can mention quite a few tips and thoughts here, but know in my heart you all are capable, strong, fearless, giving, loving, and caring. It is now time to wrap your arms around yourselves and figure out how to navigate our new normal. Said with love……

Funny story about how I am surviving by myself and a memory of my mother. My mom always told me I was the best baby. I never really gave her any trouble and was so very easy to manage. She would tell me she would keep a box in my playpen and at the end of every day she would toss my toys in to it. The next day when she was “house making” and needed me to be out of her hair she would put me in the playpen where I would promptly remove all of the toys out of the box and put my baby butt in the box and just hang out for an hour or two. Sometimes with a toy or not. I would examine my hands, feet, or just entertain myself with one toy. So I guess from birth I have been geared to this point in time. My playpen is now my house and I am able to entertain myself with the smallest of things like watching the plants grow and contemplating life. If I was born last year I believe my parents like so many others would have been rushing me to the doctor’s office because I was not “normal”. I am so glad I was born when I was to a mother who allowed me to be whom I was meant to be. Mom I love and miss you, you were and will always be my greatest cheerleader and I TG I was born to you.

Ok, this is the last post this morning.
    SuziQ – SFL – Where I am on the edge of the tropical depression forming in the Bahamas and will have rain and high winds all day. It’s a good day for those little pesky home chores!