WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,067 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Went on a short walk and now my legs are sore. I am so out of shape! My endurance is so poor. I suppose the good news is that I have no injury limitations so far. My hip and my knee did well. But boy do I have miles to go!

Annie in Delaware still on lockdown
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    MICHELE ~ Congrats to Jess for making the dean's list and for working on her weight. :)

Folks, I have gained 5 lbs during these last couple of months. I think some of it is due to my not pushing a shopping cart around any of the Super stores and an iota of exercise at home. I have tried walking 1/2 a mile several time this week but it leaves me out of breath. Of course, my love of wine does not help! :'(:s:#

Welcome to all the new posters! Please sign your post with a name that is easy to type and a place where you live in the world.

Carol in GA
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Hello, and welcome to everyone who is new.

Thank you so much for all the support this morning, both on this thread and off. You are genuinely such a bright spot in my life, ladies.

So, the story of this morning's meeting... skip it if you like, I'm not bothered.
    For those who don't know, I write grants for Girls Scouts, and have for the last three years. I've been at this council for the last half of that time.

The first thing noted was that, in order to set me up for success, they were going to invest in a subscription to a grantmaker site that gives insights into the various foundations. Something I was told a year and a half ago was not in the budget - so I've been doing it the hard way all this time, seeking out and finding each foundation and doing all the legwork myself. Using a handsaw when a power saw was needed, in all truth.

Then the discussions got into the esoterics. I will now be reaching out to foundations before and after grants instead of them just receiving a canned thank you letter when they give us a grant. I never understood why I was told not to, but I was when I first got here, so I left it alone.

Effectively I'm finally beginning to get the tools I need and the permissions I need in order to do my job. There will be numbers tied to all this - how many letters sent, how many foundations lined up, how many case files I put together for re-use, etc. etc. etc. But the numbers were not revealed to me today, although I did ask. Whatever they are, I will be expected to achieve them in the next 90 days.

Me being me, I also asked what would happen if I don't succeed, and the question kind of boggled them. They genuinely didn't have an answer. Kinda weird.

Actually, all in all, very weird. Overall positive, I guess. I have no issues with any of the things they're requesting. My worst fear was that they would want me cold-calling donors or foundations, and just the thought of it makes me sweat.

Nonetheless, this was overkill. They could have also just gone over my goals with me and modified them as necessary to get me going the directions they want me to go. This was kind of like using a brick to swat a fly on your forehead. Effective in one way, quite painful in another. Definitely gets your attention--but at what cost?

So... the thunder is truly rolling here, and the skies are completely dark. Not tornado watching or anything, just noisy as all get-out.

I'm going to go do something rational like read a book or something.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Michele NC, bwahaha! It is WA state where she lives so....💖. On a downside, my middle son texted me and said they were all in wife's car in a turn lane and got rear ended! It was slick so the driver said she slid into them. It wrecked her car, but sons car which was bigger had minor damage. Still, it was hard to hear when your kids get into accidents.💖. This morning he texted me that his insurance covered everything including getting a new car seat. He had called the manufacturer and they informed him that with every accident, the car seats should be replaced. No one was hurt, but I told him he, his wife and Athena should all be checked out.👍

Texted my youngest because he was online as I was logging off at 9 pm. I thanked him for contacting us all thru video chat, and texted him that I hoped his cough was getting better. I usually text and then find it answered later, but he clicked on right away.💖. He said this past week he had been dealing with fever and headaches. He was out on bed rest for two days and banned from visiting the mess desk to eat. He had his food delivered to him. One meal was hot dogs without buns or ketchup. He texted last night that his fever was gone, as well as the headache. Also, he had been tested, and all reports clear. So that's good, but I still worry for him. He doesn't have the best track record healthwise. From the get go in boot camp, getting pneumonia before his A school started. Poor kid.💖. We just ache when we know our kids are hurting.💖

Today I ate the potato skin, some freshly made coleslaw, and a bagel with avocado and cheese. I am nursing a coffee. Not a lot of protein, but filling. The red onions chopped in my coleslaw hopefully won't talk to me later...
    💖Rebecca
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    1948Peachy - Jaxsgma from Cincinnati, Ohio (aka MaryBeth) Came back to MFP Wednesday after being gone for 4 months for family reasons. Im back now and ready to get on my weight loss journey!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Rebecca - Oh don't we worry ourselves about our grown children! :o
    I remember when my son was in South America and I hadn't heard from him in 10 days. My whole body hummed. Really hummed. It was a constant thrumming, especially when I tried to sleep.
    Eventually he emailed me to say everything was fine.
    When he got home he told us he had almost been shot/kidnapped by guerrillas and his coach set on fire. :o He had hid in a tree all night in fear of his life.
    Our DNA is connected to our kids. Visceral.
    So happy you heard from him. He sounds fine now. :D<3
    Love to you, Mum of three boys.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    My meals yesterday y more
    aehoolvbu81g.jpeg
    hav3x5w4qamp.jpeg
    4kxcrgkqooks.jpeg
    10rxyeslujwj.jpeg
    o52nm5gjxirc.jpeg

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Iiii
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Jaxsgma wrote: »
    pipcd - Thank you :)

I don’t know what I did but you’re welcome
  • Jaxsgma
    Options
    pipcd - you welcomed me! Thanks for doing so!
  • Jaxsgma
    Options
    exermom - Hopefully May will go faster. We have somethings opening in Ohio, I am anxious to see how it all goes. Luckily the hairdresser's opened, I'm in a bad need of haircut/color, :D I was lucky to get an appointment for next week.

Glad to be back with MFP, I've already did pretty good food wise since I started two days ago, Hope I keep it up.

Jaxsgma
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Jaxsgma wrote: »
    pipcd - you welcomed me! Thanks for doing so!

ahhhhh grasshopper!
  • Jaxsgma
    edited May 2020
    Options

exermom - Hopefully May will go faster. We have somethings opening in Ohio, I am anxious to see how it all goes. Luckily the hairdresser's opened, I'm in a bad need of haircut/color, I was lucky to get an appointment for next week.

Glad to be back with MFP, I've already did pretty good food wise since I started two days ago, Hope I keep it up.

Jaxsgma
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

Bike ride home 2 sumner station- 1hr 2min 31sec, 140mhr, 12.7amph, 13.24mi= 491c
    apple watch- 475c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.17min, 139mhr, 9.57min mi, .53mi= 51c
    apple watch- 58c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 4.22min, 9.33min mi, 146mhr, .45mi= 49c
    apple watch- 52c
    Bike ride dome 2 hm- 19.09min, 8.1amph, 147mhr, 2.58mi= 166c
    apple watch- 141c

total cal 757
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,364 Member
    Options
    Took a walk to Food Lion and got some milk to make yogurt tomorrow. I may walk there again tomorrow to get more milk. Then we put air in my float for the pool. It’s supposed to be warm this weekend and I want to be ready!!! Today I think the pool got up to something like 77

Lisa – there is no way I was about to skip your post You? Not succeed? I find that incredibly impossible and I bet the higher ups did, too

Michele NC
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - Oh don't we worry ourselves about our grown children! :o
    I remember when my son was in South America and I hadn't heard from him in 10 days. My whole body hummed. Really hummed. It was a constant thrumming, especially when I tried to sleep.
    Eventually he emailed me to say everything was fine.
    When he got home he told us he had almost been shot/kidnapped by guerrillas and his coach set on fire. :o He had hid in a tree all night in fear of his life.
    Our DNA is connected to our kids. Visceral.
    So happy you heard from him. He sounds fine now. :D<3
    Love to you, Mum of three boys.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Oh Heather how scary! I think the moment we become pregnant we connect.💖. I remember dreaming of losing my baby here and there, heightening my momma instincts I presume. In a weird way I can handle he's out to sea, on the Big Blue as they say. But the moment he puts into port and I know he's in Yokosuka for example, the pit in my stomach returns.💖
    So glad your son was safe.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    no classes till september or maybe october- classes may be postponed somewhat. its possible that our classes be online next fall. that would not be great. the idea of almost always being home or alone for 4 months is not enchanting for me.

i could apply for some jobs in a short window about a week now since i got my qualification but i have very little chance of succeeding this year for various reasons. i was planning to just knuckle down and work (a week full time probably) on 2 applications, knowing that brushing up my profile could also help for other jobs where i have a better chance of success.

but my motivation is around ankle level (french expression: very low). i'm having a hard time taking care of even more straightforward basic things.

it just seems like the next years are going to be almost totally alone, physically, and to some degree socially. it's really upsetting.

Are you still working on your PhD?

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,942 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Went on a short walk and now my legs are sore. I am so out of shape! My endurance is so poor. I suppose the good news is that I have no injury limitations so far. My hip and my knee did well. But boy do I have miles to go!

Annie in Delaware still on lockdown

Keep going on those short walks! :)
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Kim - I don’t blame you for being angry. I have managed more newcomers than I have Canadians. I always told them what services were available to them I thought that was my duty as a human not just a manager. I’m glad you are helping them.

My grandmother was born in 1913 and always told stories of things they endured. I think her family was well off truthfully although she would never have said that. She was always amazed at changes in society and would tell us the differences at different times in our life compared to hers at the same age. It was enlightening and always made me appreciate what we had and where we were in time.

Tonya - we did not go into lockdown, however I work in a nursing home so had to be extra vigilant. My son in law was still working in a dairy so chances were he could bring something home that the Grands could carry to me. It has been hard but luckily we’ve had a couple of social distance visits.

Lanette - The staff at work is amazing, so are the residents. We have done as much as possible to keep the residents occupied, we are not family though and that makes it hard on some. The government decided that we could start having outside visits last week. 1 essential visitor and a guest, must wear a mask and keep 6 feet from their loved one. This has actually been a little harder on the residents and families I think. The families keep wanting to touch and hug their loved one and that is not permitted. Personally I wouldn’t be going to visit my Mom yet if I was given the opportunity.

Michele - I would be proud of Jess too. I don’t understand Denise and all and I’m sorry she treats you the way she does.

Rebecca - I understand the worry of our babies, even when our babies are older.

Today we celebrated the finale of nurses week, our Administrator doesn’t believe in leaving anyone out so we all received a T-shirt and a Dilly bar from Dairy Queen.
    Tonight Rodger and I watched the Pixar Movie Onward.

It’s a long weekend here and truthfully I’m not looking forward to it. It’s just one more day of sitting in the house doing nothing. I would like to do something, anything would be nice.

Tracey in Edmonton