Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    <3
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Kim How did your sourdough starter come about? You may have said, but I've forgotten. I was thinking of making some.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Karen I don’t think I said I have a foodie neighbor and he surprised me with it
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    All this talk about sourdough bread has me drooling! lol I was poking around the internet the other day and came across a Robin Hood Flour page with a recipe for Sherwood. Sherwood is a sourdough starter and they actually gave the recipe for the starter. I was going to start it today, but got distracted with something else, but will do it tomorrow. Some of you may remember I tried a starter last year, it was an epic failure, but this one sounds more reasonable in its process. And I do love sourdough bread! Hmmm, this may not be my best plan..... lol
    That's all I got today!
    Hugs to those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Machka > That must have been so difficult for you growing up. It seems you were over protected but you don't really understand why? I imagine the damaged valves etc was the reason. It must be hard however to deal with headaches all the time, is there nothing they can do about that cyst? Headaches suck!

You saying "screw that" only shows how strong you are! It was your life and you wanted to live it to the fullest, and you did! Your husbands accident was also a huge hurdle in your life that you conquered. The one thing your mother didn't realise as she was protecting you from the storm was one day you would grow up to BE the storm! You should be very proud of all that you have accomplished!

On another note! Just like you I am crazy about windows! Love windows, love natural light. I also however like to really shut it out when I want those so blackout curtains are a must!

Lisa > Thank you so much, appreciate it! Your niece is beautiful and I love that quote!

I think it was wonderful of your husband to recognise the change in you and your happiness. At least it shows he is paying attention xo

Heather > Congrats on your lottery win! lol £30 is better than nothing! I never win anything, I have the worst luck, good thing I am not a gambler or we would be bankrupt! It is a beautiful day today. Glad to hear there are not too many people around.. shows that people are following the guidelines at least. Hope you enjoy your pizza! you have earned it xx

Your grandchildren are adorable, thanks for the pics! I have seen those kits where you can do that but had never actually tried it with my daughter when she was young.

Beth > Thank you, you are right! This is a problem I have had all my life, doing that! Minimising my accomplishments.. I don't know why but I sure wish I could stop doing it, because it is awesome what I have done so far and that is the way I should be looking at it!

Sorry to hear about your close acquaintances that have lost family to covid, it sucks! It is so sad for them not to have had their family there :(

I am surprised they are talking about phase 2 as I was under the impression that the US cases were rising since they started opening things up? Unless of course that was just Canada (Ontario). I read their new covid cases has jumped up again.

Rita > Love the pic of you modelling the hat!!

Amber > Ugh, stay safe and check in with us when you can xo

Love Tonya UK xx

Randie and her grandparents here in the UK / Loving the wild horses in Dartmore

uu4dvfahqjlx.jpg
    hda5lwbrvcjg.jpg
    8omwy7mnh3fv.jpg
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    PIP ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,699 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Pip and many many more..
    Had a chat with my brother last night.. he flew off the handle saying to me you dont want your job do you,im there every day.. but i havent been here for awhile and how do i know.. well not being here for awhile puts a fresh perspective on things...sleeping 21-23 hrs a day is not normal and she hardly has the stamina to get from the commode to the bed which is a foot from the bed..very unsteady on her feet..hey they want to fire me go ahead... but I spoke my mind and the other caregiver agrees..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Allie sorry the he took it out on the messenger!

Pip Happy Birthday! :flowerforyou:
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Beth Yes! A limited eating window is a double-edged sword for binge eaters. It helps to limit the amount of food eaten in 24 hours, which helps with weight control, but it is a set-up for a binge because of hunger & delayed gratification, two conditions that tend to trigger bingeing in people who are prone to this disorder. Only the individual can determine if it's the best option - paraphrasing Barbie, the best food plan is the one you can stick to.

>>>

Lanette Did you take screen shots from the PowerPoint on that YouTube video the Royal Institution posted of Dr. Marc Lewis on The Neuroscience of Addiction? How did you get the images in the first place?

>>>

Karen in VIrginia

Karen - Yes, the screen shots were from some of the PowerPoints on the YouTube video mentioned above. I didn't get them all, just the ones with info I wanted to remember.

More thoughts on binging:
    Thank you again for "The Biology of Desire" book link. I whipped through it yesterday and was stopped cold by Chapter 7 - "Nothing for Alice", the binge eater. Parts of her story were very familiar to me as I look back and realize it's often been a struggle for me to have a normal relationship with food. Not that I haven't.

Normal eating behaviors: Stop eating when full. Not eating something if it doesn't taste good. Getting too busy to eat. Having an eating window that is not determined by a clock - some IF'er's develop that and are successful with an eating window that is healthy for them, be it 12:12 or 20:4 or something in between.

From what I see in the Delay, Don't Deny IF Facebook group, even some of the old hands who have IF down are struggling right now. They or their spouses are working from home or not working at all. Family members and friends getting sick. Masks.... vaccines....glitter all over the damn place, lol.

So something happens to flip it into binge mode. I've been working on figuring out my "flippers", and creating a plan to get the ones I can control back in line and turn the ones I can't control over to a higher power or wish them into the cornfield a la Billy Mumy in that Twilight Zone episode. :)

It's time for me to once again talk with my needy younger self who decided binging was the way to deal with my problems when I was a kid. Childhood grooves are cut deep and take loving care that doesn't involve food.

Another thought - when I went through years of debilitating migraines, my MD at the time said she figured it wasn't just one thing that caused them. It was likely many things that would line up into a perfect storm: hormones, not enough sleep, stress at work or within the family, physical causes- neck out of whack, blood sugar, etc. I could often sail through without an episode with many of these things happening concurrently, but then one more would be added (never sure which one) to tip it into a full blown migraine.

I'm wondering if binging isn't similar. Many factors lining up. It's a behavior and not a medical condition, but still. Maybe and maybe not. Something to ponder.

My walking buddy is fascinating, by the way. We've both walked away from cigarettes and alcohol. She has a son in addiction treatment right now and has participated in a 12 step Narc Anon support group for several years. So we get up to 45 minutes of "therapy" with one another just about every day. She likes to talk about this stuff and is a great listener. Can't beat that. B)

Make it a good day, ladies. :) Will be back later.

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,342 Member
    Options
    Did a Warrior Workout DVD. It is yoga. The plan for tomorrow is to do a workout on the bosu

Looked at the Target ad. I am really starting to think that they are taking advantage of this whole pandemic thing. Now they say that because of the “emergency”, there is a limit on non-essential items. Then they have a picture of a baby car seat. To me, a car seat is an essential item

Barbara[b[/b] – I think a good idea is to take one of those transmitters like you see at holiday time with a message to hear the music by tuning your radio to a certain station. If they’d have the mass also broadcast, then I probably wouldn’t feel like I maybe couldn’t get into the church. If I couldn’t, I have the option of sitting in my car. But it’s not for me to say. I think this pastor is of the opinion that things will go back to the way they were. I honestly don’t think that’ll happen. But I don’t think he’s forward thinking. Well, what can I do? He doesn’t take suggestions of change very well at all. I feel for your friend

SuziQ – so glad to see you back!

My gardening philosophy? “If God means for it to live, it’ll live”

M – your mother might have been concerned that if you exercised, you might raise your heartrate which might not be good for your heart

Heather – congrats on your winning. Care to share??????

Started putting out the landscape border. Vince had said before when I wanted to do it when it was cool out that he could stand the heat. Well, guess who was outside for maybe an hour and then had to go in the house? I knew that would happen. I pulled some of the weeds he talked about yesterday. I only found 2 or 3 that were big. It really wasn’t that bad.

Went to Michael’s to get picture frames then to Joann’s Fabrics for this tapestry threader. This is the only store where I can get it. From their website I couldn’t figure out how to pay unless I had a paypal account. Usually, you don’t need an account and can just pay with your credit card. That’s what I usually do. But I couldn’t figure out how to do it on their site. Also, they advertised curbside delivery and I would really have liked that because I only wanted the one item. Not sure how they do it, so I had to go in the store and ask. It isn’t a big store, but about the only fabric store around here. While I was waiting in line, they lost 2 sales. One lady got tired of waiting and just left. Another asked me if I had been waiting a long time and when I told her I was, she just left. Thank you China.

Came home and strung some popcorn. The wind really picked up so I came in the house and made fudge for Vince. I tried something different this time, I used Crisco instead of butter. The only other thing I can think to do is to use Baker’s chocolate even if the recipe calls for chocolate chips. I’m trying to get it to have the creamy consistency of what you buy in the store. Update: wonder how those candy melts will be?

Tracey – glad they got the house

Beth – it’s always so hard to learn of someone (anyone)’s passing, and not having someone around just makes it worse. Denise talked to Vince yesterday and said that someone at the day care she works at tested positive for c-19. Of course, they didn’t say who but she thinks she has an idea.

Lisa – the previous owners of this house left some extra bricks and we had some extra from when we built the detached garage. They come in REAL handy. We use them all the time for weight when we clean the covers for the pool, for weight for outdoor decorations, lots of things. Smart of you budgeting that you won’t get the extra paycheck. And if you do, wonderful.

Lanette – that “liquid fence” stuff, please tell me more about it. Do you have to respray after every rainfall? How long does it last? Does it just keep the deer away? Does it harm the grass? Every winter we have holes in our yard where the deer were foraging for food. I’d like it if they didn’t dig holes all over

Karen VA – I was thinking of putting a carpet shampooer on my Christmas list, but I’d really like a Roomba. I can live for now, but I do want that for Christmas

Rebecca – I just thought of something funny. Can you imagine a nudist camp and the only thing someone wears is a mask?

Monday here: Did a DVD for the bosu. For tomorrow is to do Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones DVD

Mahjongg tonight!

Allie – I’m so very sorry about Faith. It’s so good that she has you there. So sorry your brother didn’t take your input well.

I think I’ll probably finish our tree skirt today and probably start to work on the scarf for my friend. Does anybody have any items they make with smaller (maybe ½ skein) of yarn? Barbie?

Amber – keep safe

We’re putting up picture of Vince’s grandparents, my grandparents etc. We don’t have one of PJ. Well, Denise texted me some of her, PJ and Pete. You know, one part of me doesn’t want a picture of Pete. But the other part of me says that no matter what happens, Pete is always going to be PJ’s father. I don’t want to hurt him and Denise by not using a picture of him, Maybe what we can do is a collage of pictures of PJ as an infant, one smaller one of them together. Anybody else have any ideas?

Pip – did I miss your birthday? So sorry. Happy birthday

Vince was saying the other day that the bottom of his foot hurt and by looked on the internet it is plantar fasciitis. I told him that I have orthotics in my slippers just to give me added support. Hopefully, he’ll get some for himself

LisaKim can go to Arkansas after she comes to NC

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Heather, I must be getting old! Did I put the recipe up here for Ricotta? I have made it 3 times now, and have learned some things...
    Kim
  • GodMomKim
    Options
    Lisa and Michele - So the flights to NC are 2-3 times more expensive than those to Arkansas!!!!! And really the cost of the flight to Arkansas is about the same as the cost of a week of dog care for Levi. I think I'll need to follow Heather's lead and buy a lottery ticket, something I have not done in 15+ years.

LOL Kim in hot Northern California
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Kim - if you'll buy one, I will. :) Lightning could always strike! :smiley:

Barbie - thank you so very much for the compliments. I hold you in great regard, and your respect is balm to my soul.

Regarding the lack of diversity of the council - every single Girl Scout council is different from each other. While they are built on the framework set by the national organization, they are each run by humans and therefore as fallible as any other organization. In retrospect, the two I've worked for now have been polar opposites--the first one was pretty much the wild, wild West when I got there, shoot from the hit, go-go-go, and the current one is very much a bureaucracy and so mired in their own arbitrary rules that they no longer have the language to consider the exceptional as being possible. Much like the tall poppy syndrome in Australia, sticking your head up will simply get your head cut off.

The first council I worked for was very diverse, but was also in a 70% Hispanic region of the country, so it would have been nearly impossible not to be. Men were quite unusual there, too, with only one man who worked for them (out of 35 staff), and he was fired shortly after I departed. There is an occasional male board member, but most don't tend to stay. It's not a welcoming atmosphere for the male of the species. :smiley:

But in their defense, don't forget you are hearing only my side of the story. While I think I'm quite clear-headed and objective, there's an off chance that I wear foil around my head most of the time to keep the Boy Scouts from finding me and converting me to the dark side. I have to take the foil off, though, when I get on a video conference, or people talk. Hahahahahaha! (Evil unfoiled laughter. :smiley: )

Egg (my cat, for those who don't know) is wistfully looking out the window as the rain drips gently off the roof. It's what Irish Terri would most likely call a "soft day," with the humidity standing at 99%, and walking feels like you've learned to breathe underwater. Pleasant temperature, though.

Love y'all,
    Later,
    Lisa in AR
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options

Karen - clarification:
    Another thought - when I went through years of debilitating migraines, my MD at the time said she figured it wasn't just one thing that caused them. It was likely many things that would line up into a perfect storm: hormones, not enough sleep, stress at work or within the family, physical causes- neck out of whack, blood sugar, etc. I could often sail through without an episode with many of these things happening concurrently, but then one more would be added (never sure which one) to tip it into a full blown migraine.

I'm wondering if MY binging isn't similar. Many factors lining up. If my binging right now is a behavior and not a medical condition, this might apply. Maybe and maybe not. Something to ponder.
    Lanette
    SW WA State

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,050 Member
    Options
    Touch of Spring here...9kynhxxtftar.jpg
    r5r68cgu7frr.jpg
    ft46fm2rve1a.jpg
    ai3kceczw754.jpg
    b4641j0ltn3j.jpg