WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Tonya ... 73 pounds released is awesome! Don't minimize that by saying you have hundreds to go ... you don't have hundreds and 73 to go!

SuziQ ... glad the launch is behind you! Sorry that raises/promotions are on the back burner.

Pip ... wow! Hope that everything works out for you in regards to retiring and all that entails.

Barbara ... your tour of the farm sounds wonderful ...

Heather ... congratulations on your lottery win!

Lisa ... sounds like you've made the right decision ... congratulations!

The eating discussion ... I know that I am a binge eater, even within my fasting window. Only because I am stubborn am I able to master it ... most of the time. I eat between the hours of 2:00 pm and 7:00 pm most days ... generally staying closer to 3:00-7:00. Anything later in the day causes sleep disturbances anything early seems to set me off into grazing way beyond caloric needs.

This past week two close acquaintances have lost family members to Covid. Both individuals were in nursing homes. One had health issues, the other was simply elderly. Neither had their families with them when they died. So sad.

Phase 2 of reopening ... if all goes well ... won't begin until June 2. It's about this time that my younger son will head back to Nashville and his apartment, looking for a job. I am going to miss him! Even though my older son's group home is only 3 residents, I'm not certain when the time will be right for my him to head back. Like nursing homes, the problem stems from staff bringing infection in. Still, as much as he enjoys it, I cannot take care of him at home forever...

Beth near Buffalo

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,336 Member
    Options
    More on neuroscience and neuroendocrinology:
    It is absolutely true that some medications used to aide binge eaters alter the metabolism. Naltrexone is one such medication.

Taken out of context, this sounds undesirable, and something to avoid.

When one takes into account, however, that all neuroendocrine medications - Synthroid, Metformin, Insulin, Testosterone, Estrogen, Fosamax, Melatonin, Vitamin D, Calcitonin, and many others - alter the metabolism (that is their purpose), one can, perhaps, put things into proper perspective.

>>>

The best case scenario: One is fortunate enough not to have any type of malfunction of the neuroendocrine system. A person in this category who becomes overweight, for example, can just alter their intake & activity, lose weight, and maintain it with a reasonable effort. This person does not have a malfunction of her neuroendocrine system, and if she backslides, she can fairly easily get back to a good place.

2nd best case: One has a neuroendocrine malfunction, but is able to correct her neuroendocrine malfunction with diet, exercise, and lifestyle. This person works a little harder and has to be more vigilant to maintain homeostasis. If she backslides, she has a harder time getting back to optimal health because the neuroendocrine malfunction is waiting in the wings to be reactivated if she lets down her guard.

3rd: One is able to correct her malfunction with a combination of diet, exercise, lifestyle, and appropriate medication. This person is similar to those in the 2nd category, only she is taking medication.

4th: One is not able to correct her malfunction with diet, exercise, and lifestyle, but chooses to exist without taking medication, perhaps because she is averse to taking medicines that alter her metabolism. This person, if she has already optimized her non-pharmacological efforts, puts a lot of energy each day into managing her condition, yet still receives daily reminders that her efforts are partially in vain. Depending on the condition, these reminders may manifest themselves as elevated blood sugars, sluggishness, dry skin, hair falling out, spine degeneration, insomnia, joint pain, or eating compulsions.

5th: One gives up because diet, exercise, and lifestyle modifications are not enough to control her hypothyroidism, diabetes, low T, bone loss, sleep disorder, Vitamin D deficiency, hypoparathyroidism, or eating disorder, and her best efforts are undermined on a daily basis by an uncontrolled neuroendocrine metabolic disorder, causing despair, discouragement, and defeat.

>>>

Many people on this thread are in the 1st or 2nd category, and have succeeded with diet, exercise, and lifestyle, and do not live with significant daily disruptions that threaten to undermine them.

Some people are in the 3rd category, and need to take metabolically active medications for conditions like hypothyroidism, diabetes, osteoporosis, and yes, eating disorders. There are modifiers other than medications that may help people in the 3rd category (hypnotism, biofeedback, nerve stimulators, specific exercises, surgery, etc.), but often some type of intervention is indicated.

Karen - very interesting! Thank you! I was wondering if something like Naltrexone could be used for a short period of time with some behavior modification (getting our brains to like some new habits...exercise? Meditation - Tai Chi?). Like drugs used for quitting smoking - Chantix is one?

I just threw a temper tantrum because the sprayer is malfunctioning on the brand new gallon of "Liquid Fence" (rotten egg smell) I got at Home Depot. I was going to spray the apple trees to keep the deer away. DH tried to fix it so we both smell like rotten eggs. Showers and laundry coming up shortly. B)

That blasted sprayer is toast. I'm going to buy some plastic bottles at Walmart and fill them up from that gallon. Out by the apple trees.

Lanette
    Sunny and stinky SW WA State
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Lanette Sorry for your sprayer malfunctioning. How annoying. I've noticed there is often an Achilles' Heel in things like your sprayer that should last a long time; a carpet steam cleaner I was considering buying got some bad reviews because some engineer specified ball bearings that rust. On a water machine. Go figure.

As far as the Naltrexone, yes, absolutely it can be used short-term, just like Metformin can be used for a few months to help with insulin-resistance in women with PCOS, or in a motivated borderline diabetic who just needs a boost; in the case of PCOS, the woman might be trying to get pregnant, and she and her doctor may or may not decide to discontinue the Metformin once it she has been able to conceive. In the case of the motivated borderline diabetic, the Metformin will help to overcome insulin resistance; if the person is successful at altering his or her diet, exercise, and lifestyle enough to correct the metabolic problem, they may be able to discontinue the Metformin, perhaps after 6 months or so, and rely solely on diet/exercise/lifestyle to maintain homeostasis.

Karen in Virginia
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Love the pics Heather! I remember once when we lived.I'm northern California we had a day of a swarm migrating by. There were millions of butterflies flying by, in our neighborhood. I just.say outside and smiled all afternoon! The one thing I don't miss was in springtime all the spiders came out. They were like parachutes flying all around. Just knowing at the end of all the strings of web flying around there were spiders at the end. Gives me shivers thinking about it!
    💖 Rebecca
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,541 Member
    Options
    Iiiiii
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,912 Member
    Options
    :) I remember many years ago when I was much younger and considering moving from my sleepy northern California town to a more metropolitan area, I did an inventory of the advantages of staying and of going and what made the decision for me was that I was treated so well and respected at my job and that was worth far more than anything that I might gain in a bigger city. I just listened to an episode of "The Happiness Lab with Dr. Laurie Santos" where she shares the research on how money doesn't make happiness in a job as much as feelings of autonomy, creativity, and usefulness.

:) Right now I still don't miss anything except the grind your own peanut butter at the grocery store and the restrooms at the clubhouse in my neighborhood.

:) Barbie in NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    View from my window FB:

3qnxlbpvjv08.png
    ffdlmpzr5jft.png
    vgioayqirdle.png
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,737 Member
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Rita - maybe these are some of your neighbours 😂

w6gflqz3fi78.jpeg

I love this!! Can I copy this?

Here is what the modified hat looks like. For a 10 month old, but I modeled it! Lol

RV Rita

25gegerr0rr6.jpeg

Of course you can. I stole it from someone on Facebook. 😜
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    :)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,698 Member
    Options
    Adorable Rita
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    We’re in a tornado 🌪 watch it was 24min away now 15min traveling 45 mph. See you gals tomorrow Lord willing. I hate tornadoes always cramp quarters in a laundry room all night afraid to go pee in the bathroom as the power goes y windows shake. It already pulled up my rose bush trellis I just installed darns it! Guess I’ll toss it in the shed later on.

Amber Tx
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Rita modeling the hat is adorable. What a cute hat and what a cute model!

>>>

SuziQ I meant to tell you how cute your hair is. I love it.

>>>

Barbie
    The belated birthday garlicky Chinese meal sounds yummy. I've never had that dish.

When you were travelling, was it business or pleasure? Were you an international teacher, lecturer, or researcher? I have to admit that reading that about you was a revelation. I've only known you as a homebody. Nomad Barbie is a mysterious being to me.

>>>

Tonya and Lisa The painted ladies are lovely.

>>>

Kim Dang, Girl, it's a good thing you are resourceful and resilient. It's bewildering to think that your upline is not vested in saving your amazing workplace. I wonder what will happen to it all if it goes under? It sounds as if you are not seeing the rolling-your-sleeves-up/all-hands-on-deck mixed metaphor sort of effort one would expect with what's at stake. I don't get it.

>>>

Heather The grandchildren liberating the butterflies are utterly charming. What an amazing experience for them!

>>>

Beth Yes! A limited eating window is a double-edged sword for binge eaters. It helps to limit the amount of food eaten in 24 hours, which helps with weight control, but it is a set-up for a binge because of hunger & delayed gratification, two conditions that tend to trigger bingeing in people who are prone to this disorder. Only the individual can determine if it's the best option - paraphrasing Barbie, the best food plan is the one you can stick to.

>>>

Lanette Did you take screen shots from the PowerPoint on that YouTube video the Royal Institution posted of Dr. Marc Lewis on The Neuroscience of Addiction? How did you get the images in the first place?

>>>

Karen in VIrginia
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Amber Stay safe! I have huddled in a bathroom more than once due to threatening weather, and it is fun for 5 minutes. After that, not so much...
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- Only time I ever visited a nudist colony was as a child. My moms cousin y her family lived in a gated community one that was very upscale. I wore clothes then too for the visit. Folks were walking around outside nude but never noticed a thing. Had a nudist neighbor too years later he had his backyard y deck outfitted for semi privacy (saw legs down/big belly up lol he was forced to put one up was his stick it to the man answer lol). We sat on his deck neighbors dressed him not no one thought nothing of it.

Amber Tx

Body having the bones hurt y feel like ai can pull a muscle hormone triggered peri time (Flo will visit soon). So exercising break but eating right

Awesome! My son's never were bothered by nudity, but I did express to them that nudity wasn't the norm out in the world. I just never wanted them to ever be embarrassed by it. Its just a state of being. Its not a sexual thing. My son's teachers all understood and appreciated me giving them a head's up about our unusual way of life.👍
    💖 Rebecca
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Lisa: I hope all goes well for you. You’ve been brilliant in your recent job and the smarter people in the organization will regret their foolish action. I love the idea that you will be painting. Your art is lovely. :heart:

(((Lanette))): Sorry that the sprayer was not working as it should. Getting sprayed with the Liquid Fence sounds awful. I hope your showers got totally rid of the egg smell. :grumble:

Heather: I love the photos of your grandchildren wetting butterflies free. :bigsmile:

(((Allie))): You are a wise and thorough care provider. Talking to your brother sounds like a good choice. :star:

Kim: Your situation in opening slowly is a good strategy, in my view. Oregon is opening slowly, too. :smiley:

I managed to find lovely ways to enjoy our “bright, bright, sunshiney day.” I took a walk with DH and we ran into a good neighbor. Visiting with her was a pleasure. I’ve managed to donate cans and bottles to a worthy cause, and to buy needed groceries. WIN!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    I can be a numbers gal but it's not my go to (sorry all the excel lovers out there) but I do really appreciate it when it is done and done well. So I have been making my own sandwich bread, sourdough and ricotta, I ran the numbers today I have the 3 recipes to the point that I am very happy with them and the results are consistent. Ricotta about 1/2 of the store price, sandwich bread about $1.25 per loaf. A 12 inch round loaf of sourdough is 62 cents! That is just supplies nothing for my time or for power for cooking... I am very pleased to see the savings as they all have a time component. Every time I do them I do get better at fitting them into my schedule.

Amber - hope you are ok, I have never been in a tornado or a hurricane but both seem very scary... I'll take an earthquake every time.

Kim in Northern CA