WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka - I do not envy you your health issues, nor your husband's, but have enormous respect for your drive to live your life on your terms as much as is humanly possible. Your strength staggers me.

Heather - We're on opposite ends of the spectrum on the garden, but I used to be where you are now. For the first time, I'm actually interested in planting things, moving things around so they suit the landscape and make the place easy to care for. We're getting about 200 feet of privacy fence put up within six or eight weeks, and Corey and I have been planning on what we can do to make it beautiful, as well as functional. There's much to be done...

SuziQ
    - glad to see you. I genuinely hope, since they aren't giving you the promotions or raises you deserve, that you're being paid hourly, but I know within reason you are not. Please take care of yourself! And I love the hair. :)

Kelly - Does the sand mean it's time to go to the beach at your house? I know the kids always love that. You're right, I've always thrived in a changing environment. Now I'm just in the space where I'm going to have to make my own changes in my own environment, like the fence above.

Tonya - Your photography is just stunning, you have an amazing eye. One of my favorite nieces is a professional photographer. In the spoiler is her self-portrait, titled, "If you cannot be a poet, be the poem." Put it in a spoiler, as it has her logo on it.
    hzyvj4wp751t.png

Pip - far freaking out! Hope it all goes well... retirement is looking better by the minute! :smiley:

To everyone who's new, welcome! Join in the conversation wherever you choose. We're glad you're here.

More later,
    Lisa in AR
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Michele y Margret- I never had issues with nail polish y a hospital oxygen reader. Perhaps it’s the older models or acrylic nails (never had those). But I regularly since childhood wear Horse hoof strengthened clear nail polish super thickly in my nails always got a correct reading. Not sure about darker nail polishes like them Blk to green ones I see now. Perhaps it’s certain types of nail polish only.
    Found this troubleshooting medical equipment says it’s certain colors so I figure that effects certain models but not all. Having fun looking into this. Very interesting 🧐
    https://www.medicaltestsupply.com/Pulse_Oximeter_Troubleshooting_s/1943.htm

Amber Tx

Michele, Amber, M I looked it up and Amber is correct it is the acrylic and dark nail polishes that can contribute to an error message. M smart idea to make sure one finger or toe available in an emergency. It does sound like the lighter tones are not such a problem. It is moot for me I garden so much now that I nail polish is not on my agenda.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Most music I like. I do not care much for rap or that loud bass music that can make our house shake.

I gardened in the rain at sons yesterday in the rain. My garden hat and wellies some call them galoshes keep head and feet dry. It actually made it easier to dig into the soil. His yard is more clay. Speaking of music for at least half the time. A visitor to the neighbor behind pulled in and stayed in his car. I could hear the rap music through his closed windows and the rain. It made me pause to think how loud it must be in the car. Everyone has their own taste and comfort level for volume.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :) This has been some interesting reading. What a mixed bag of personalities we are. Thank you for all the in depth sharing.

:) At one time in my life I traveled a lot--domestically and internationally, by car, air, and cruise ship. Later I traveled almost every weekend mostly by car and in state but often by air to other states. Now I stay home and travel only by car to occasional out of town doctor's appointments. During this shelter at home time, I stay home and travel rarely and only to the post office, grocery store, and Costco. Each chapter in my life has been very satisfying and necessary to my well being. I wouldn't trade a minute of my life for something else.

:) For most of my life, I did nothing in the yard. When I bought my first house, I found out that you could snap off a piece of a geranium and stick it in the ground and it would grow a new plant. That was my gardening for years. Twenty years later when Jake and I bought a house on five acres, he planted vegetables and sold them at the farmers' market and I planted sunflowers. When we bought an RV and traveled during the summer there was no gardening. Now we have a yard that provides an opportunity to putter but doesn't require any more care than I want to give it. Bulbs are my perfect flower. Stick them in the ground in the fall and in the spring a miracle happens and they grow and bloom.

:) Now it's time to walk the dogs in my neighborhood and enjoy all the beautiful things my neighbors have planted and cared for.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    Do you want the good news or the good news? :D

I won the lottery! Again! £30 this time, last time it was £40. :p
    I went running and the sea was up, it was very breezy, and there were not too many people around. :D Not bad for a bank holiday weekend. I know the police are patrolling in Brighton, but I think the wind and the high tide must be keeping people off the beach. We love it it when the waves are rolling in. They even broke over the sea wall. There was an ice cream van, but I didn't see anyone buying.
    I had to go out to earn my pizza tonight. :o My son is braving the queue and picking up pizzas for the whole family. He will pre-order. Feels very odd not to be prepping/cooking food. We will have a nice bottle of Italian red with ours. This week I've been AF for 4 days.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    More on neuroscience and neuroendocrinology:
    It is absolutely true that some medications used to aide binge eaters alter the metabolism. Naltrexone is one such medication.

Taken out of context, this sounds undesirable, and something to avoid.

When one takes into account, however, that all neuroendocrine medications - Synthroid, Metformin, Insulin, Testosterone, Estrogen, Fosamax, Melatonin, Vitamin D, Calcitonin, and many others - alter the metabolism (that is their purpose), one can, perhaps, put things into proper perspective.

>>>

The best case scenario: One is fortunate enough not to have any type of malfunction of the neuroendocrine system. A person in this category who becomes overweight, for example, can just alter their intake & activity, lose weight, and maintain it with a reasonable effort. This person does not have a malfunction of her neuroendocrine system, and if she backslides, she can fairly easily get back to a good place.

2nd best case: One has a neuroendocrine malfunction, but is able to correct her neuroendocrine malfunction with diet, exercise, and lifestyle. This person works a little harder and has to be more vigilant to maintain homeostasis. If she backslides, she has a harder time getting back to optimal health because the neuroendocrine malfunction is waiting in the wings to be reactivated if she lets down her guard.

3rd: One is able to correct her malfunction with a combination of diet, exercise, lifestyle, and appropriate medication. This person is similar to those in the 2nd category, only she is taking medication.

4th: One is not able to correct her malfunction with diet, exercise, and lifestyle, but chooses to exist without taking medication, perhaps because she is averse to taking medicines that alter her metabolism. This person, if she has already optimized her non-pharmacological efforts, puts a lot of energy each day into managing her condition, yet still receives daily reminders that her efforts are partially in vain. Depending on the condition, these reminders may manifest themselves as elevated blood sugars, sluggishness, dry skin, hair falling out, spine degeneration, insomnia, joint pain, or eating compulsions.

5th: One gives up because diet, exercise, and lifestyle modifications are not enough to control her hypothyroidism, diabetes, low T, bone loss, sleep disorder, Vitamin D deficiency, hypoparathyroidism, or eating disorder, and her best efforts are undermined on a daily basis by an uncontrolled neuroendocrine metabolic disorder, causing despair, discouragement, and defeat.

>>>

Many people on this thread are in the 1st or 2nd category, and have succeeded with diet, exercise, and lifestyle, and do not live with significant daily disruptions that threaten to undermine them.

Some people are in the 3rd category, and need to take metabolically active medications for conditions like hypothyroidism, diabetes, osteoporosis, and yes, eating disorders. There are modifiers other than medications that may help people in the 3rd category (hypnotism, biofeedback, nerve stimulators, specific exercises, surgery, etc.), but often some type of intervention is indicated.
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    :) Have a good day!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,585 Member
    Options
    Ooooo
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Michele: I’ve forgotten my mask one time. I felt like I was rude to the other people who were wearing one. Just lately, some people are going without a mask at the grocery store. Despite that, I still have to bag my own groceries or waste a paper bag. I guess that makes me a tree hugger. :flowerforyou:

Barbara: Congrats on your pub grub and pint. The view of ocean and lighthouse sounds wonderful. :star: I’m sorry that your friend’s mom is still in quarantine.

SuziQ: I like your latest cut. You look great. :bigsmile:

Machka: If I could take off right now I’d be using a Star Trek transporter, a useful device that always sent the crew where they intended to go and could go back to the Enterprise at the touch of their insignia. I would visit each of my kids and be home to DH by bedtime. The Doctor Who telephone booth was totally unreliable and the Doctor never knew what place or time in history that he would end up. He and his crew loved the mystery and adventure of where they’d end up. That is not my idea of fun. :wink:

Terri: I envy your access to enjoying your boat. Our boat is in plain sight from the house, but DH can’t handle floating any more. He can’t even go down onto the docks. Sailing is one thing that I miss very much. My son has promised to take me sailing at least once a year, and I know his intentions are good. The problem is that everyday life gets in the way. :ohwell:

Heather: Congrats on winning the lottery! How will you choose to spend your windfall? :smiley:

Karen in VA: Your spoiler on neuroscience & neuroendocrinology is interesting. I think of the vitamins and supplements I choose to take are doing good things for my health. I have only two actual prescriptions. One is for bone density and the other is an antidepressant/brain energy booster. Physical exercise is also on my list. It boosts mood and improves strength and agility. :star:

This is a bright, bright, sunshiney day. I hope to find ways to enjoy it.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,769 Member
    Options
    Heather - I agree about gardening and peta, to me it is just something else to take care of. I love taking care of my family and loved ones but not things.
    At work the other day we were talking about how there are more women than men in Homes. The consensus was that men refuse to come. I said that makes sense and then added the women are probably just tired and look forward to someone looking after them for a change.

Machka - I’m like you I need the outside. I love your views.

Rodger is building the rails for our deck today. The deck will be built tomorrow when out son in law can come assist. This will be the first project these two do together and I hope that it goes well. Kaitlyn and I will be around to get drinks, prepare food and help when required.

The offer was accepted on the house so the next step is to pass the inspection. Their closing date is July 15th so they had time to give notice on their apartment. I’m so incredibly happy and proud.

Today I am recovering some patio furniture cushions. I don’t know how well it will work, but I only need it to last for one season. Next year I’ll buy a new set.

I should get off the couch and get on with my day.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @margaretturk i meant to get one of those oxygen readers. they are not very costly and oxygen is the main thing for getting in for most COVID complications, and yes they say you can have fast, shallow breathing due to COVID and not realize that you have it, body compensating.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    Took yesterday off but worked tons today. My corrector was supposed to send me something 1 or 2 hours ago. not dramatic YET, but i'd better double check as there's a ROCK hard deadline for Tuesday and i need to do considerable assembling of visuals (especially formatting the many visuals) and writing. The plan was to do it, or start it today but it's 7pm already. I can do it tomorrow but she also needs to give me 2 docs tomorrow and she has another heavy load of work for Tuesday she said. i hate to bug her but i think i'd better call.

I, thankfully took a little break in mid afternoon to go for a stroll. i ran into an old friend acquaintance that i hadn't seen in ages. she was working at a free book exchange, give a book, take a book, (not necessarily at the same time). she's bilingual and when i said i prefer reading in English she dug up a couple of good English novels. But mostly it was nice to have close to normal interaction. we were wearing masks and keeping distance and there was actually a fence between us so we had to reach through bars to give and get book, but that didn't keep us from chatting normally.

crossing fingers for correcting coming.

Foodwise: i had normal breakfast, eggs and leeks for lunch, mango coconut dairy free dessert (pretty light), and a couple of squares of GF Dairy free milkish chocolate (w almond milk, it's ok, 1st time) then a luxury snack, my very occasionaly fancy pastry treat: not big, but fancy, a GF option and new local bakery. then tuna salad w soy yogurt + tsp oil to replace mayo. not bad.

i didnt pre track and have not yet tracked. :s
    i'm sure i've gone over 1200 calories but not madly so.

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Tracey ~ Glad to hear your DD and SnL got the house. It will be nice to have your husband and SnL working on the deck.

SuzyQ ~ I really like your darker hair! Glad you were able to get a hair cut. Mine is looking really shaggy in the back.

Karen ~ Your post on neuro... made me think I'm in the #4 category. I do take medications but keep hoping if I watch my diet and get more movement in, I will some day lose some of this extra weight.

Gardens ~ I used to do a lot of our yard work and planted lots of flowers and shrubs plus lawn cutting and pruning. I sprigged my entire front lawn with Zosia sprigs (that was a lot of work). Now, we hire a crew to do the mowing, blowing, and trimming.

Kind words and prayers to all who need them.

Carol in GA who thinks this day has been way too long and it's only 1:15.

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,264 Member
    Options
    We hugely enjoyed our pizzas! My son said he hadn't gone up to London and the kids are off this week for half term. They should have been in Malta, on holiday with DDIL's parents. They took a voucher for the deposit. I hope that wasn't a mistake.

I'm still thinking about why I don't enjoy 'being' outside. I'm fine when I have a task, like running, or I'm going somewhere for a purpose.

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,482 Member
    Options
    Slept so well last night. I have gotten in the habit of stretching as I lie in bed in the morning. Then I say, " today is a good day for a good day"! It does make me feel positive. Weighed after Chinese food treat yesterday and lost .2 . Just the fact that normally I would have gained is nice. I had 2 fish pieces, 4 prawns, 2 onion rings, and about 9 gyoza. All fried food, with appropriate sauces to dip each items. It came with a small crisp salad. What I didn't eat was any of the rice that it came with. I didn't have any noodles. So primarily fat and protein. Eldest son treated us.💖

We sat outside yesterday for some sun, but that lasted about 10 min, then the clouds came thru and the temps dipped about 15 degrees! I get up, husband who's dressed in long sleeves said, " thanks for joining me ", and I said, " I'm outta here"! I can not take cold weather.😁😳😁 As we were outside, we watched son work on his scooter. Its working but its rough! He said there's an issue with the engine not getting enough gas. He will tinker more today.

Wrote two of my pen pals yesterday. Each were 7 pages ( one sided, I don't like the look of the paper when I write on both sides). Its just lined paper, but I put washi tape down the left side, and a fancy sticker on the top part. Then I just use different washi tape for the rest of the pages. Being that my stickers are kind of 3D, if I use them on each page my letter would be so thick. I always include stickers loose, so they can use them for their own pen pals. Sometimes I receive letters with a playing catd, and a small amount of washi tape that I can use. Its a fun way to trade our arts and crafts. I need to buy a deck of cards from the Dollar Store. Playing cards work well because they're coated somewhat. So wrapping your washi tape, it won't stick.👍.
    Everyone have a nice day. I think today is spaghetti and cheese bread for the guys. I might have avocado/tomato/blue cheese crumbles toast, and soup.💖
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,368 Member
    Options

Karen <3
    I owe you $15, lol. Maybe more! Ah, powerpoints but as you said, not THE powerpoints.

Interesting just the same.

I'll try some of Machka's tips and see if I can convert the powerpoints to JPG.
    Many thanks!
    Lanette

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    :)Rebecca, I heard someone say in a podcast that letter writing has many meditative qualities. That's probably one of the benefits for you.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Rebecca- Only time I ever visited a nudist colony was as a child. My moms cousin y her family lived in a gated community one that was very upscale. I wore clothes then too for the visit. Folks were walking around outside nude but never noticed a thing. Had a nudist neighbor too years later he had his backyard y deck outfitted for semi privacy (saw legs down/big belly up lol he was forced to put one up was his stick it to the man answer lol). We sat on his deck neighbors dressed him not no one thought nothing of it.

Amber Tx

Body having the bones hurt y feel like ai can pull a muscle hormone triggered peri time (Flo will visit soon). So exercising break but eating right