June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 :-( that sucks. I don't think I could maintain ANYTHING for 26 miles!
  • Faebert
    Faebert Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Hi all, a long read to catch up after a busy few days. Well done @janejellyroll! Glad to read @Avidkeo on the mend and @T1DCarnivoreRunner I’m very glad you’re ok! Hope @Shortgirlrunning is feeling better.
    Massive props to everyone running virtual races and battling heat, dogs, and overfamiliar members of the public!!

I’m behind on reporting two runs. Also took an unplanned rest day but I really needed it. Haven’t had a totally lazy day since mid April so I let myself off the hook. Should be on track to exceed June target a bit regardless.

June goal: 75 miles
    June total: 64 miles

1/6: 5m
    2/6: Strength training
    3/6: 5m
    4/6: Strength training
    5/6: 5m
    6/6: Strength training and zoom yoga
    7/6: 6.2m
    8/6: Strength training
    9/6: 5.1m
    10/5: Strength training
    11/6: 5m
    12/6: Strength training
    13/6: 6.2m and zoom yoga
    14/6: Strength training
    15/6: 5m
    16/6: Strength training
    17/6: 5m
    18/6: Strength training
    19/6: 5m
    20/6: Strength training
    21/6: Rest
    22/6: 6m
    23/6: Strength training
    24/6: 5.5m

May: 80 m
    April: 115 m
    March: 76.4 m
    February: 17.8 m
    January: 0
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 I'm sorry to hear about that change in your marathon. I would be very reluctant to run a marathon that required me to commit to a pacing stretch goal in order to participate - it's hard enough as it is, you know! I'm also not a fast runner and I always plan on that holding constant on race day. :D
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I got an email from the organizers of the Marine Corps Marathon this morning. Their time limit was a 14 minute mile pace but now they have changed it to require that runners maintain a 12 minute mile pace. If you can't do that, you can defer to 2021, 2022 or 2023 (for an additional $30) and/or run it virtually (for an additional $45). My last 15 mile run was at a 12:21 pace. My prior 14 mile run was at a 11:21 pace. As much as I would love to be a faster runner, I'm not and I just don't think I can maintain under 12 for 26 miles. :'(

yeah, i'd have to either defer or do virtual. because i definitely wouldn't plan on not getting swept up

i'm hoping to make my 16 min for my 50k
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @Teresa502 Yeah for your virtual race. You did great. I like Samaritan's purse too. Sorry about the change to the Marine Corps Marathon. I'm sure they are trying to get the numbers down, but that seems like a fairly fast pace to maintain. I personally think they should let you defer for no extra cost since they are changing the rules. Have you decided what you are going to do yet?

@Tramboman I'm glad you did the sensible thing. Hope it is back to normal tomorrow.

@Shortgirlrunning Oh no! Hope you are feeling better.

Great run @kgirlhart , especially with 100% humidity.

@natacosupreme Glad you went back a week and are trying again instead of giving up. Repeat week 2 as many times as you need to until you are ready for week 3. Slow and steady is the key.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Yes. It's the intentional part that gets me. Anyone can make a mistake. That's just crazy. I agree that the police should write some tickets to get the point across. I guess you'll just have to be extra careful from now on.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    I got an email from the organizers of the Marine Corps Marathon this morning. Their time limit was a 14 minute mile pace but now they have changed it to require that runners maintain a 12 minute mile pace. If you can't do that, you can defer to 2021, 2022 or 2023 (for an additional $30) and/or run it virtually (for an additional $45). My last 15 mile run was at a 12:21 pace. My prior 14 mile run was at a 11:21 pace. As much as I would love to be a faster runner, I'm not and I just don't think I can maintain under 12 for 26 miles. :'(

yeah, i'd have to either defer or do virtual. because i definitely wouldn't plan on not getting swept up

i'm hoping to make my 16 min for my 50k

Dang, @Teresa502 that stinks. Sorry, but yeah if you are hitting 12:21 for a 15 miler, it is very unrealistic to expect you will be under 12 for all 26. I would defer.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    06/01-06/22: 58.4
    06/23: 2.5

Mission accomplished! This are the most monthly miles I have ever run. I may actually do 80 miles this month.

Congrats!!!
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Well that was probably the worst run of my life. Today’s run should have been 4.5 miles but about a mile in I started feeling cramps, figured it’s just my period I’ll run a little slower but push through. A little over half way through I got suddenly super sick and had to stop immediately and call my husband to come get me. Not sure exactly what happened but really hope it doesn’t happen again.

Sorry. :( That happens some times. Could be you were pushing too hard, or something you ate, or anything. If you do not feel better tomorrow maybe take an extra rest day.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    ABabilonia wrote: »
    06/01-06/22: 58.4
    06/23: 2.5

Mission accomplished! This are the most monthly miles I have ever run. I may actually do 80 miles this month.

Congrats!!!

Thanks 🤗 This group is very motivational!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner Yes. It's the intentional part that gets me. Anyone can make a mistake. That's just crazy. I agree that the police should write some tickets to get the point across. I guess you'll just have to be extra careful from now on.

Yeah seriously.

But I would say for others reading this, no matter what the law says - 2 tons of steel flying at you ALWAYS has the right of way. I try to cross at crosswalks but I never ever trust the drivers on the road.

Don't forget to add the weight for 3 large people who eat poorly crammed in this truck. There was at least 3 tons, maybe even 3.5 tons. :D
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @Teresa502 Great job on your virtual 10K! I think that totally stinks about your marathon. I think they should let you defer for free since the requirement changed after you registered.

@T1DCarnivoreRunner Glad you are ok! People drive way too fast in my neighborhood and never stop at a crosswalk put in a couple of years ago next to the neighborhood playground. The whole purpose of putting it in was to allow kids/families to cross without getting hit, and everyone ignores it. I was about to cross on it the other day but could tell the approaching car had zero intention of slowing or stopping. Like @PastorVincent said, I have trouble trusting that drivers will ever respect a pedestrian’s right of way.

@Shortgirlrunning I hope you are feeling better!

It has been storming for the last few evenings. I managed to get in a little more than a 5K before a storm. Tuesday, I went to my first Body Pump class since before the shut down. Let’s just say last night’s outing was a bit slower due to my sore muscles! I only managed a little over 2 miles before it started raining on me last night. Fortunately, I was fairly close to my house. I really wish I could be one of those people who runs at 5am, but I just cannot function to run in the morning. I’m hoping to do a little better on the weekend mornings with maybe a longer 7am run.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @brittanystebbins95 I have never given birth, but my mom kept a journal when she was pregnant with me and let me read it a few years ago. She wrote about the exact same type of pain and that her doctor said it was something that some people experience -- apparently the pelvis is preparing for giving birth. I don't know if that's accurate though.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Pray for me 😭
    My husband just applied for emergency funding through his college because his academy was halted due to COVID, and now he won't be finished with it and working until October. Baby is due in August. We're already scraping by, and now I have maternity leave and then daycare to worry about. He was supposed to be done in May, so everything was very nicely planned out and we were set financially, and then had a wrench thrown into it.
    Our lease was also up June 1st, and our landlord said months ago he would send over a new lease, but he seemingly forgot? So we are using this opportunity to try and find something cheaper. We found a home that's not only bigger, but also cheaper. I sent in an application for the house, but we need this emergency funding or it likely won't happen :( We are living paycheck to paycheck, barely. I'm also afraid that when they contact our current landlord as a reference, he's going to put our house we're in currently back on the market or give us a certain amount of time to get out. And then panic while we scramble for a place to live if we're not approved. He's been cool so far, but I can't help but worry.

Running's been going okay. I've had to cut my 2 miles down even further to 1.5
    And I am hurting something fierce today. I feel like I got punched in my private area. After googling (bad idea) I think it may be the ligaments in my pelvis are irritated or that the pelvis itself is trying to separate. So I don't know if its from running yesterday, because I did a 1.5 mile run/walk with my husband and then ran my own 1.5 miles, or if it could be from the leg workout I did at the gym right before running. It involved squats and dead lifts and I'm wondering if maybe I'm pushing too hard.
    I'm gonna definitely take it easy the next couple of days and talk to my midwife tomorrow at my appointment. My goal was to make it to at least 32 weeks with running and I will be there on Sunday. Breaks my heart but it may be time to suck it up and start walking instead.

You're in my prayers. Have faith.

AND DON'T FORGET YOU'VE BEEN RUNNING FOR TWO!!!!!!!