• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    <3
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

I am loving this talk about herbs and flora.

Heather
    - the plants in your back yard are similar to ours. We have 3 mock oranges ( a Master Gardener propagation project many years ago), a large bay laurel in a pot.

I have a potted rosemary I keep pruning year after year which is probably horribly root-bound. Many perennial herbs don't survive in our mini climate when planted in the ground, but do in pots where I can drag them off and shelter them behind the shed. For some reason we tend to get up to ten degrees hotter in the summer and ten degrees colder in the winter than the weatherman predicts.

I bought a basil to set on the windowsill a few weeks ago and it promptly died, but I have some started from seed in the greenhouse. Not sure if they'll amount to anything. And I'm going to try to grow rosemary from seed, just to see if I can.

Barbie - our dogs go to the groomer today! I can sympathize with Sasha's close trim. I hope our groomer can save some of Rosie's Schnauzer beard - I've tried to un-mat it but can only do so much. But if they have to clip her close.... it does grow back. :D

Glitter chit chat:
    Someone asked about states opening up.... in WA State, it's county by county. Ours is in phase 2, preparing for phase 3. I haven't kept track of what phase 3 means other than larger crowds and maybe gyms opening?

My dental hygienist's sister caught the virus, had a couple days of impaired breathing but got over it quickly and is doing great - I'm guessing she's in her 40's or 50's. She lives in another state.

Question for anyone with medical knowledge on here: I understand the test for Covid-19 involves sticking a swab way back in your nose to the utmost depths of the sinus cavity, yet we are told that we can catch it if we get within 6 feet of each other from coughing, sneezing, even breathing. So why can't they just swab mucous from the nostril? Just curious.
    Make it a good day, ladies.

Lanette
    SW WA State B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,899 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka hope that’s a diver in that “10 benefits to spending time alone” meme, s/he looks suicidal to me. :worried: I’d be very cautious about hugging any cat…

Cats can be wonderful huggers. :heart:

Rhody will "hug" a little bit occasionally, and I'm hoping he'll develop that more as time goes by.

But my dearly departed Sabre used to give me the greatest hugs. I still dream of those hugs at night ... I'll wake up and feel like he's been there and has given me another one of his hugs. I'd hold him and he'd put his arms around my neck and rub his face against mine and rest his head on my shoulder. It still brings tears to my eyes because of all my cats, I think I miss him the most.

M in Oz
    auntiebk wrote: »
    Machka, know its cold comfort but sending you virtual ((hugs)).

Barbara

:heart:

And it kinda relates back to your comment about the person in the “10 benefits to spending time alone” meme. When I saw the meme, nothing unusual stood out to me about the person there. I can relate to it so well. Whatever it depicts, that's often how I feel when I'm dealing with my husband and his whole situation.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,223 Member
    Options
    For the info of Barbara and Beth.
    My son made his own toffee popcorn for the top of the cake and as filling. He also made his own salted caramel sauce.
    Dedication. <3

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    Karen VA spot on!!!! Unfortunately there are some if they can take advantage they will. There is a reason fences make for good neighbors because the boundaries are clear.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Excellent enlightening article on white privilege:
    >>>

Lanette
    It has to do with the size of the inoculum. Since the PCR test (nose swab) looks for the actual genetic material of the virus, the more virus present in the sample = the more likely the test is to be accurate. The virus likes the temperature and moisture level of the posterior pharynx and sinuses better than it does the anterior nose area, which is cooler and has lots of other competing organisms present (skin bacteria, for example).

>>>

Karen in Virginia

• KetoneKaren
    Options
    Machka Sabre sounds like my Casper. He was the best hugging kitty ever. So sweet and affectionate. He was definitely into hugging. He was pure white, with thick dense short hair that felt like heaven.

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options

Lanette
    It has to do with the size of the inoculum. Since the PCR test (nose swab) looks for the actual genetic material of the virus, the more virus present in the sample = the more likely the test is to be accurate. The virus likes the temperature and moisture level of the posterior pharynx and sinuses better than it does the anterior nose area, which is cooler and has lots of other competing organisms present (skin bacteria, for example).

>>>

Karen in Virginia

Karen - that makes perfect sense. Thank you.

Lanette
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,929 Member
    Options
    Allie!!! I'm thinking Jean is a bit passive aggressive. She is coming home late for frivolous reasons, and not calling to let you know. She is telling your brother things like, "Mom said Allie told her the kitchen is locked." If you don't stand up for yourself and get your brother out of the middle of this, it's going to fester. I hope you will assert yourself, tell your sister-in-law she needs to call when she is going to be late, that you will be keeping track of the extra hours you work like you would in any other business arrangement, and that she needs to communicate directly with you rather than through your brother if she has any concerns about interactions you may have had with Faye. And don't back down. They need to show you respect & consideration.

Repeat after me: "I am not a doormat".

You are a heck of a woman and I hate to see you take crap.

<3

Karen in Virginia

:)Allie, I was going to say something like this, so read it again and pretend I said it, too.

<3 Barbie

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,929 Member
    Options
    Lanette, :) What great news about your dog going to the groomer. Sasha doesn't seem bothered by her odd haircut. I had her wear her coat yesterday morning when it was 47 F since she had no fur to keep her warm. No one seemed to notice that her tail looks like it belongs to a rat instead of a poodle. And you know that they say that the difference between a bad haircut and a good one is about a week...it will be a bit longer for a pom pom on a poodle tail.

:) Jake is baking bread this morning and he talks to himself as he works to make sure he is measuring correctly. The bread will have raisins, pecans, and cinnamon along with several kinds of flour. The recipe makes two loaves--one for me and one for my friend who brought the pecans from Texas for him.

81824br5uyrfrsr.gif The venue where I teach line dance told me that they won't reopen any sooner than June 22 and I should check with them then. They will be the ones determining the protocols for using their building. I won't teach again until I feel safe doing so. Most of my class is over 70 years old and many are over 80. My husband is high risk so I won't do anything that could jeopardize him. Dancing with a mask won't work for me so we'll just have to see how things unfold. I love dancing with the class but I can be patient so we can all be healthy.

:)Barbara, my somewhat rural county is in Phase Two. Our line dance venue has a small bar and restaurant and hosts Bingo and social events in the big dancing room so they won't even consider opening anything until Phase Three which might be happening June 22. Right now they are doing some remodeling so that might make a difference in when they want to reopen.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Barbie ~ The idea of that bread Jake is making sounds heavenly. :)

Karen ~ Agree with the good advice you gave Allie.

Please don't get grossed out:
    We have an exterminator service and are still seeing way too many roaches...Ugh! :# I bought insect killer and will slowly begin doing my own spraying to get rid of them. I think a lot of this is due to the really heavy rain storms we have had this season.

Carol in GA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,223 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Barbie - That bread sounds heavenly! We have recently taken to having a cinnamon and raisin bagel for lunch , filled with really strong cheddar cheese, cucumber and lettuce. Extremely yummy. :D We also love walnut bread with a strong blue cheese, St Agur.

Went for a 5k in my new trainers. They did a good job of preventing pronation, so therefore protected my knee. I came home with my knee no worse than when I went. :D My old ones were too worn out to do that any more.
    Seafront very quiet. It was cloudy and chilly this morning, but the sun came out for us. Sea absolutely flat.

I wrote this morning, so it's another good day. B)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Carol- Here too I laid out traps for them when I saw the first one . Finally realized they were coming in from the garage during the rain so laid borax behind the boxes in there so they die off. Haven’t seen any since (neighbor next to me is a hoarder feeding the ferret cats in the neighborhood so I’m always fighting a new pest ).

Grandmallie- Wheb he calls back say “any more tall tales to tell about? “ “Name one person on earth who locks a kitchen!” Then chuckle sa” I figured you were tired just rambling on incoherently after you left me so confused by what you said”. Then change the subject to anything else even the riots to moms DR appointment coming up. I used to forget to eat when I was young my stomach inflammation causes me to not have any cravings at all. Unless reminded food tossed in front of me I forgot again y again. Steroids kick started my ability to feel hunger for the first time late in life. Grandpa tried what he gave his summer pigs thinks what he called it (was the junk he gave the runts lol 😂 guess I was a runty little thing).

Amber Tx

Was doing great then hubby wanted pizza I went over. Grrr I got to behave today only stick to my calories.Its the stress in the city he goes out seeing it all comes back we’re both stressed after he tells what he saw. We had 2 bad out of 4nights in the city not sure about last night. I don’t want to loose my progress so yesterday walked 6miles but still went up a pound. Got to work it off y keep my calories under. Dad said his city only 11 protestors at his tiny town courthouse all Hispanic with signs some were Daughter school chums he saw. No cops at his no noise. Small town charm. Here is more noisy.

Today walking backs still hurt darn muscle pull still here,but feeling like it’s finally healing. Try to eat healthy .

Lots to do but keep getting side tracked. In my mind will learn what play doh fun is to water colors. In reality something comes up more simple like coloring page y singing math to alphabet. Woke up last night to JR saying he pooped. So bed routine restarted twice in a row. We’re working on phonics y sentences this morning. JR can talk but he’s so hyper he gets excited it comes out incoherent in a squeal y out of breath sounding jumping up y down jibberish.I can only understand him when he calms down for a second. He tried to use Sister said last night so I said Sister likes it when you clean. He sighed calmed down said “I just don’t like to clean”. Well there you go heard that lol. Told him too bad so sad get cleaning with mommy.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,144 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tracey: In my defence, there weren’t that many cars on the streets in my youth, and only a handful in our residential area. People tended to walk or use public transport. The only time I had a mishap was when I rode into a lamppost.

So we are finally getting some rain today, and the temperatures is much down in the teens again(centigrade).

I spent the morning doing admin and accounts for my activity groups. These are unlikely to start until the new semester in September at the earliest because of the age demographic of our members, but we have to make provisional bookings for council premises 6 months in advance, even though the premises may not be open.

Having a relatively easy day today after my recent exertions in the garden.

I have skin read all the back Pages, but most comments would be rather out of date and/or have already been said by others.

Sitting relaxing as DH has gone down to the boat to check some measurements for a new locker/step he is building.

☘️ Terri
  • KetoneKaren
    Options
    Barbie and Heather Those breads sound fantastic! Yum yum. t19135.gif

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Terri R ~ Riding into a lamp post reminds me of all the incidents where people on their cell phones run into/fall into things. :):o:)
  • CSSJ09
    CSSJ09 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Dear Wonderful Women,

I am back. I said this a few years ago, but this time I mean it. I missed you. I viewed some of the posts for the last few days and you are all still here! I should have known that you would all be here. Thank you Barbie for leading the charge. My personal life has completely changed. I will spare you all the details.

I hope that each and every one of you, your families, and friends, are healthy and safe. I know that there are many healthcare professionals in this MFP Community, so you have my thanks for keeping the rest of us in your care. You are truly o:) among us. <3

I still continue international aid work. My life has been completely take over by COVID-19 response work since January. This is not my first epidemic (human or zoonotic) and I am well aware that prevention and control takes a huge toll, both humanitarian and economic. For a bit of perspective, I re-read "Man's Search for Meaning" by, Dr. Viktor Frankl, the late Viennese psychiatrist. I realized that in dropping communities, such as this, I was letting others down, far more than myself. Or as, E.M. Forster says, "Only connect...Live in fragments no longer." So, back I came. If I wander again, please DM me and remind me not to disappear.
    Thank you all. CJ
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,557 Member
    Options
    ==== well, new carpet in, and outside of house treated (not pressure washed, more gentle has the same outcome). gave him xtra 50 to sparkle the door jams in a couple of places inside the house where we had dog gates. and gave them 20 tip each (2guys) so it was 340 total cuz we paid cash when it would have been 500 for outside only. not bad.
    gotta work on house more. later
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,057 Member
    Options
    My perspective
    Excellent enlightening article on white privilege:
    >>>

Lanette

>>>

Karen in Virginia

My perspective is a bit different...I taught in an inner city and first ring suburbs for 20 years. I live in the city. I have witnessed the best and worst in all races.

The roots to what is going on today is in slavery. It was illegal to teach a slave to read. It is also in the breaking up of the African American families in the 60's when they were denied services if the father was living in the home. My sister had to stop being a social worker in this time because she could not stomach being a part of this. The Jim Crow laws added fuel to the fire.

For some African Americans playing be the white culture standards they are labelled an Oreo. Black on the outside white in the middle.

I go home to my roots in Missouri and who do I see in the service roles. It is almost all African Americans.

I have friends while living in their suburb home commenting that we should do all we can to see people get to live in their homes while being forclosed on. I lived next to a property that was forclosed on twice. On our street we had squaters who took over an abandoned house. This is the house that they rented illegally while they went through forclossure.

What does may adding about forclosures have to do with anything. Those who will making the decisions as to where we go from here can read about white privilege think they understand and then stand instituting policy to try to address the problems. It is like my husband telling me what son and I should do about our mental illness because he has read about it and is now the expert. He has not lived this. Son and I have.

Another example ...When I first moved here I did not have a car for eight months and had to relay on public transportation.
    Those making decisions about public transportation may have taken public transportation for a few things but have not had to relay on it for there day to day. I can tell you a destination that may take 10 minutes to get to by car can take over an hour by public transport. Yet without that transport I was stuck.

All I ask is that this movement for change is to make things better. I also ask that we help people to be respectful, responsible, and safe whatever their race... A please and a thank you wouldn't hurt either.

I will also say you cannot legislate away racism. They tried to integrate the schools here and many white families left for the suburbs. The school I taught in once it became over 50% African American it quickly zoomed to over 80%.

So different out of the box solutions need to be found.