WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Katla - you are very kind, but I wish I had half the life force that is the wonder of Bea. :D<3 I wish I could bottle her self confidence!

I phoned the butcher with an order this morning st 8.15. He isn't opening the shop until restrictions are lifted. I ordered skinless, boneless chicken thighs, lamb neck fillet, goat meat for curry, their own Cumberland sausages, veal escalopes. I love that it all comes from named local farms. We eat meat about twice a week. The rest of the time it's fish, seafood, or veggie. I would have more vegan days if it was up to me, but DH is not passionate about pulses, though he does eat it. He loves vegetarian food. I could live on falafel and hummus. :D Hummus is a trigger food for me and super fattening. I can't just eat a little. When I buy it I put it straight in the freezer.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    k
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Rori - It's good to see you. Glad you're looking into long-term care. Your strength continues to awe me, as does Machka's.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    How to Make TeaSo, keeping it lighthearted and not too judgemental :wink: ... how do you make tea? How do you like your tea?

Machka in Oz

Apologies ahead of time to any tea drinkers in England and Ireland - I boil water in a kettle, then pour it over a teabag in a mug (Tetley here, can't get PG Tips). Everything's fine up to that point... but then I put a tablespoon of sugar-free vanilla non-dairy creamer and two Splenda in it. :hushed::smiley: Learned to drink tea with milk during the six years I lived in England (Sussex for three years and Berkshire for three years, at RAFB Lakenheath then RAFB Greenham Common, with an eight year gap in between). The ladies I worked with in the military kitchens would have been so disappointed with me!

What I found funny about the video, Machka, is that Americans are just as whack-a-doodle about coffee as our brethren and sistren from whence we came are about tea... and during the time I was there, never met a British person with a coffee pot - only instant coffee, which makes most Americans shudder. You never hear about that, though, where the hot tea thing is a recognized meme.

Heather thought that was Bea on the pogo stick, she has really gotten long and lean as her sister! So cute!
    As a child we had homemade stilts! Scary but fun!
    💖Rebecca

YES! I was trying to figure out why we never had pogo sticks as a kid (besides being poor as church mice), and the answer was that we didn't have sidewalks, as I grew up in the country. But as soon as I read this, Rebecca, I remembered the homemade stilts we played with. Thank you for that memory! My brothers made them--because of course, I was a girl, and not allowed to touch a hammer 🙄. For anyone who doesn't know what we're talking about, ours looked quite a bit like the ones in the spoiler below. Note - the kid in the picture is definitely not any kid I ever knew, as Crocs did not exist, and would have probably gotten the crap beat out of you if you wore them. Still, good childhood memories, even if no pogo sticks. :wink:
    akfmgm1guyzv.png

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Morning ladies
    Its snuggle time with Alfie...having some quality time .great stress relief..
    Jean asked if i would wirk this weekend and i told her i would..the money is handy and I will have Alfie with me..
    Rori- bless you i can imagine what your going through as ive been there. And your right take it a day at a time.. and when DH is maybe napping have a nice cup of tea and hang out with Mars the leash loving cat..
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Love the stilts! Never had any, though I saw them at the circus. :p

Rori - you are so often on my mind. <3 Glad you are getting sorted for the future. Big hugs.

I made a delicious soup with two bunches of asparagus stalks, leeks, potato and onion. I processed it in my ancient metal Mouli Legumes, which I haven't used in a while. I prefer it to a liquidiser or food processor for any soup that has potato in it as it doesn't end up like glue. Gave me a flashback to my early marriage. Poor DH had to clean it. :o The other advantage is that you don't have to sieve the asparagus fibre out. It catches in the grater. What a mess! :laugh: I used the biggest holes.

rqif6d559qfy.jpg

To finish it I swirled a bit of pesto oil, and pomegranate molasses over it. The pomegranate molasses saves any veg dish/soup that is a bit bland. Highly recommend it.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,187 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Rori - It's good to see you. Glad you're looking into long-term care. Your strength continues to awe me, as does Machka's.
    Machka9 wrote: »
    How to Make TeaSo, keeping it lighthearted and not too judgemental :wink: ... how do you make tea? How do you like your tea?

Machka in Oz

Apologies ahead of time to any tea drinkers in England and Ireland - I boil water in a kettle, then pour it over a teabag in a mug (Tetley here, can't get PG Tips). Everything's fine up to that point... but then I put a tablespoon of sugar-free vanilla non-dairy creamer and two Splenda in it. :hushed::smiley: Learned to drink tea with milk during the six years I lived in England (Sussex for three years and Berkshire for three years, at RAFB Lakenheath then RAFB Greenham Common, with an eight year gap in between). The ladies I worked with in the military kitchens would have been so disappointed with me!

What I found funny about the video, Machka, is that Americans are just as whack-a-doodle about coffee as our brethren and sistren from whence we came are about tea... and during the time I was there, never met a British person with a coffee pot - only instant coffee, which makes most Americans shudder. You never hear about that, though, where the hot tea thing is a recognized meme.

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa

In Australia, the coffee is either instant (often at home or in the office), or Italian.

When you go to a cafe or bakery and order coffee, these (and perhaps more) are the choices you'll be presented with. Then you will likely be given your French Vanilla slice, carrot cake or hard-as-rock caramel slice which you've chosen from the selection in a display cabinet and you'll either be given a number or told that "they'll bring it out to you" ... your coffee that is.

Some time later, your coffee will arrive ... and whatever you've chosen, it will be strong.

u2lxtqv55shr.png

My choice is "long black" and depending on the place, I might order "long black with hot water on the side". They'll give me an ordinary long black, with a little teapot of hot water and I'll add a bit to the long black to weaken it just a touch. I prefer my coffee not to eat my silverware.

Example of a Australian bakery ...

ztebvsmofcma.png

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Vegan spaghetti for lunch unknown dinner. Crystal light tea. Exercising.Same JR routine

Same as usual day. Protests still happening neighbors down the road had to power wash y paint their fence to remove it (older Blk man y white guy both in their 70’s out there in the heat trying to undo graffiti was upsetting to see them have to do that) (We get a fine if we don’t remove the graffiti as home owners whether we can afford to or not of course we didn’t do the damage in the first place at all).

Amber Tx
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,095 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    yoga-exercise-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: recycling, picked up library book, reconciled SDAO Safety & Security grant receipts and emailed Chief and Mechanic.
    Bonus: long visit with financial planner, agreed to her rebalancing suggestions, 2 loads laundry.
    Get to do: invest 10 mins cleaning Living Room, carry over 36 mins cleaning Master Bath, 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry; call car dealer to find out if still have an oil change left on extended warranty, find out how to amend firehouse articles of incorporation/contacts, mat work, BB&B, practice new dances (Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, bottle return, transplant parsley, pineapple, rose geranium, Stinky; make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; call stove repair guy to adjust kitchen flame and assess Aunt Elsie’s Stove to determine if finish cleaning and start de-rusting feasible; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine,
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.

Long chat with financial advisor, adjusted the mix, weighting toward income protection but still keeping part for inflation protection. Interesting times.

Karen in VA congrats on completing the Science of Well Being course! WELL done! What you said to both Teri and Allie. ((hugs)) for your many tragic losses.
    Heather I tried pogo-ing but was too uncoordinated and weak to make it work. No helmets back in the day ;) Hopscotch yes! Jump Rope. Hide and Seek, Mother May I. Red Light/Green Light. And a bouncing ball game chant “one, two three O’Leary…” But I HATED dodgeball at school. That pic of the cauliflower and cheese casserole is mouth watering. “pomegranate molasses” note to self.
    Machka that kindergarten list… no wonder I could never teach little ones. Your desk shows how you are able to keep so many task balls in the air at once. “…the sacred cup of tea” I boil water in a kettle, pour over the bag in the 2 cup ceramic teapot, pour the rest of the boiling water into a thermos. After the tea steeps, I pour it into a cup containing 7 g of organic sugar, then refill the pot with water from the thermos, pouring the remnant back into the kettle. Then pour from the pot into the pre-heated thermos. We don’t have a microwave so this is how I keep the 2nd and 3rd cups of tea hot. Most often drink Bigelow Lemon Lift, but occasionally Constant Comment, and seasonally Nutcracker Sweet. If I have a second pot to brace me up during the day it will be Honey Lemon Ginseng green tea. I love coffee but it doesn’t love me back so I ration it to once a week at fellowship. And Lisa’s right I shudder at the thought of instant coffee. :noway:
    Terri “. . . majored in Maths and Art” Wow. Just Wow. :Love: your writing area, much tidier than my desk ;) I loved my hula hoop and could go for ages. Lost the knack, would love to find it again.
    SuziQ SMH at the Sals rejecting the formica bureau. Thanks, will take my courage in hand and clip the basil.
    Lisa what you said to Allie “…You would have remembered those pills for someone you were taking care of. Time to take care of you.”
    Allie we love you. We see the gracious, generous, forgiving qualities that help make you, you. I believe it is possible (but hard) to calmly set firm boundaries. The trick might be to somehow state your piece, then ignore any shouting response, removing yourself well before you reach your limit. Plan a speech before hand. Start it with “When you start shouting, I’ll leave. Every time.” Practice will make it easier, and once you’ve done it, repeat. Training people to your new boundaries, would be like training Alfie to do a new trick. Good luck, you’ve got us in your pocket.
    Welcome @princessofredrock1 Chelle from AZ!
    Margaret would love to see a pic of your gardens in maintenance stage. Brava for writing out your observations for your son to share with his MD, and for respecting his choice and boundary for you not to be physically present.
    Tina 1600 miles :heartbreak:
    Katla can you cage your green bean sprouts? Would love to see a pic of your blueberry bushes when they’re bearing.
    Rebecca Great letter from your son. Hooray the communication blocking wall is DOWN. Athena Rose walking already. WOW.
    Sue in WA is your DD excited to be working full time?
    (((Rori))) hugs held extra long. Thanks for checking in and updating us. Peaceful vibes of strength continue your way.

Second day of overindulgence in a row. Today I will move, stay within CICO and be AF.

Joe just left (06:30) to drive 30 miles to a dump that won’t open til 8. He thinks he’ll fill in the time shopping for some shirts at Wal~Mart. He may change his mind when he sees you have to wait in line to get in. Think I’ll take advantage of his absence and start vacuuming ;)

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    May: better than April.
    daily: steps=Sunday 2458,Monday 2101 :P vits=8 log=8 CI<CO=6 CI<250<CO=5 Tumble & Shadow 5=2 mfp=8 clean 10 mins=4 outside=3 up hill=3
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=1 rx= dance=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=3 play=0 sew=0
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in WA: Deer have been snacking on my newly sprouted bean plants and I’ve set dog poops near the bean row to scare them out. The dog droppings seem to be helping a bit. I haven’t put out nets around my blueberries. At this point the blueberries are tiny, red and bitter. I’ll have to go to the storage unit and see if we still have any nets. I may have to get netting from ACE again. Our blueberries are full of tiny red berries and won’t be edible by human standards for a month or more. DH had his hair cut a week ago. I haven’t had mine trimmed yet, except by me trimming around my face. My hair hasn’t been this long in years. :ohwell:

Karen in VA: What a cute neighborhood! Charming!!! :star:

(((Rori)))

Rebecca: We had homemade wooden stilts back in grade school days, too! I thought they were good fun. The challenge was getting on. Once I was up there it was easy enough to stay up for a while. :smiley:

Barbara: The green beans are bush beans and don’t climb. They won’t exceed a foot or so in height at full maturity. I don’t have any sort of cage for them. I’m hoping the dog poo is a useful repellant. If not I’ll need to create some sort of tunnel. :ohwell:

This is a rainy day. I added more dog poo to the edge of the bean row yesterday evening and there was no new deer damage this morning. I have a city meeting to attend this evening. I studied the packet yesterday and walked by several of the places we’ll be discussing. I plan to review the packet again today.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

Final Note on the Bureau
    I managed to move the beast out of the house. I have a small SUV so I parked in the closest spot near my townhome (they are reserved) pulled the thing out of my house, loaded it in to the SUV, and then drove it to the bulk trash area. I then moved the drawers in the same manner. At the same time the neighbor who works part time for the development (pick up trash, cleaning around the common areas, etc.) helped me get the drawers in. When I went for my morning walk it was gone. I am glad it did not rain overnight and now the bureau is being put to good use by someone who wanted it.

Heather – I never had a pogo stick but would use friends. It wasn’t something I was really in to but love my Hulu hoop. I have not yet tried my hand at Indian food. I had a work friend who would share Ramadan feasts with me and I learned a lot about Indian culture and religious practices during those lunches. The cauliflower dish looks wonderful – I love your red bakeware.

Rebecca – I am so happy you have had lengthy conversation with Owain. I am sure you’re lit up from the inside. Hopefully he remains in touch!

Lisa – That’s great 1 pound or so per week is healthy too. Slowly but surely.

Chelle – Welcome to the group. Keep visiting and drop a line when you are comfortable. No need to reply to us all – we are very chatty. Congratulations on reaching your goal – enjoy the cool clothes!

Karen – Thank you for sharing. I cannot imagine living through those two deaths. It’s hard enough when nature takes its course. It’s telling to your strong, fierce personality.

Tina – Oh, big hug to you. I completely understand being so far away from loved ones – especially when they are sick. And, for you during these times it has to be even more emotionally challenging. Some of the bar/restaurants here are opening their bars but with 6 feet distance. In our county it is technically not allowed, but it seems many establishments are translating the “rules” to bring in the most customers. I really cannot blame them and as long as things are sanitized and safe I am OK with it.

Google – Many software provides are switching from MS as an OS for online applications. It seems Google is easier to work with and let’s face it probably cheaper. I think many were tiring of the hold MS had on all things IT.

Katla – Since I live alone I am very reluctant to post anything for which someone has to come to my house to pick up. But as you can see an anonymous curb donation did the trick! Sending positive thoughts to your dog. I know how they become family.

Margaret – I hope the change in meds helps your son. And, I am also glad he is allowing you to help him manage his condition. Big hug to you.

Sue in WA – You are going to feel so good once you have had your hair appointment. It was such a good feeling for me – feeling groomed again! LOL…… Hope the cages/netting assist in getting a crop you can actually enjoy.

Rori – So glad to hear from you. I am so sorry with the challenges you are having and it’s very smart to get all of your ducks in a row now. It eliminates a lot of trouble down the road. It is also a sad state of affairs there is no organized effort to help family and treatment pathway.

Well, I have got to run. Last minute management request for a major meeting that starts in an hour. Lovely!

Hugs to all.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • Katla49
    Options
    <3
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    Well got a bit done so far.. folded clothes and put them in piles,got the plants outside. And packed a few things for the weekend and paid a credit card bill.went and picked up Homie so he is hanging with Alfie and I ..he misses spending time with me and i miss him too.
    Will get Dan at 1:30 and drop him off, haven't seen him in ages
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Hi Gals,

Allie – Everyone has given you good advice, but I do have to comment on Barbara’s comment that setting boundaries is like teaching Alfie a new trick, and I can just see you with a bag of chocolate chip cookies and patting your brother on the head saying “good boy” and feeding him a cookie, every time he stops yelling “barking” – LOL

Katla - I remember attending a composting workshop and we were told the worst things from a health point of view to add to our compost was dog and cat poop. I did not retain the whats/whys that was just that the poop needed to go in the trash. I would do some research before putting near edibles.

Pogo sticks and other childhood games - I was the least athletic kid a combo I’m sure of just my nature, the fact my mom kept me in dresses, and that when I was 12 it was discovered that I needed glasses – I could not read the big E on the chart – so I am sure that I must of needed glasses for a long time. I did love hopscotch, jump rope, hide and seek, and loved to swim! I also spend loads of time coloring, reading, and making designs with my spirograph. My brother got a pogo stick and it was around for a long time, until he took a fall off of it and had a nasty cut on his head… oh that bled and bled – off to emergency for him. And I don’t remember the pogo stick after that day.

Rori (((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))

I saw my nephew this weekend, we got “to go” (curbside) food and went to a park and sat on a blanket and caught up. We actually spent 5 hours talking and walking in this rather large park. It was just what I needed. I also realized that while I have been thinking I must be tired of cooking…. That is not it at all; this was meal number 4 or 5 since March that I didn’t eat alone. That is really what I am missing. I am pretty honest with myself, but this one it took having the “new” experience to point out what it was that made it so much better.

Kim from N. California
  • Katla49
    Options
    I am attempting to use the dog droppings as deer repellant, not compost. Our usual practice is to flush dog droppings down the toilet. If you have a good idea for deer repellent I will be very happy to flush the dog poo as we usually do.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Went for my 5k run. Perfect weather for it. Sunny, breezy and cool. I was debating whether to go as I had to buy stuff for dinner, but DH said he would do the shopping so I could get my run done. "I think that's more important, " he said. <3

Lisa - Haven't had instant coffee in maybe 25 years. Don't know anyone who drinks it nowadays. Everyone has those pod things, or, like my son, an expensive bean to cup machine. I have the simplest method imaginable. A plastic cone, into which I put a filter paper, some 'Intenso' coffee, and I drip it direct into two mugs. I half fill the mugs and top with hot milk. I first bought the 'support' cone in France and I don't know why people bother with expensive machines. Even my son says ours is the best coffee. It is extremely strong and we find anyone else's coffee very disappointing. Only Italian espresso comes anywhere near. :D We only drink it once a day, at 10.30 after our exercises. DH makes it for us.
    As for tea, it is PG Tips pyramid bags all the way. I have five large mugs a day with a tiny splash of semi skimmed milk. When I'm out I often drink Earl Grey. Anything else other than black or green tea is an 'infusion ', not a tea. :noway: My DH likes peppermint after lunch. I don't know anyone who takes sugar or sweeteners any more. My parents and grandparents always had two sugars, but we all gave up in the 60s. It was very hard at the time and I had to try more than once. When I was trying I thought I would never like tea again! But now I cannot imagine life without it. It would have to be my desert island luxury. <3

Having chicken breast, stuffed with Philly light and tarragon and wrapped in streaky bacon. On a big bed of spinach. A few fries for DH and one or two for me. Stewed apricots and yoghurt. We've just come to the end of a huge pot of rhubarb he made. I adore both rhubarb and apricots.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I’ve found a deer repellant at Ace Hardware & will get some today. I will be very pleased to make a change for the better.