WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    :) All this talk of coffee and tea reminds me of a great book I read awhile ago, "The History of the World in 6 Glasses" by Tom Standage. Coffee and tea have a really rich story.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    I drank instant coffee all during college. The hot water in the dorm bath was so hot it didn't have to be heated.

Carol in GA
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Instant coffee - yuck!! But, I do keep a very small jar for hurricane season. I also have a TX brownie recipe that calls for instant coffee. I have an old fashioned percolator, plug in, not stove top. I also use a French press from time-to-time. I like the coffee best from the French press but the percolator is easier, especially on work days.

I finally found out my in the office days are Tuesday and Thursday. I do not have to go in, but can only go in on those two days. Crazy, huh?

I am planning on going in on Tuesday. I have snacks (crackers, nuts, dried fruits) in one of my drawers. All are probably stale by now. It will be nice to see my work family. I have been enjoying working from home, but do miss seeing everyone.

Hope everyone has a great evening, afternoon, day....
    SuziQ
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Heather: We have a stainless-steel food mill that is much like your Moulin Legumes and vegetables grinder. Ours does not have feet. It has several different sized stainless screens & is great for making apple sauce and purees. I’m not quite sure if screen is the right word. We use ours over various bowls. :smiley:

Barbara: I played most of the same games as you during grade school years. Prison Dodge Ball was a favorite at my school. Good memories! :star:

Kim: We flush our dog poop down the toilet. I only left one beside the beans to scare deer away. It may have worked to an extent. I didn’t find more damage today. :bigsmile:

Regarding deer, I went to ACE and bought deer repellent devices. I’ve already put them to work in my bean patch. I don’t think that any of the contents can enter the soil, but they likely smell bad to the deer. I hope they work. DH is suggesting that I spray the bean plants with coffee. Have any of you tried this? The deer situation is unlike any other place I’ve lived. They moved into town several years ago. The presence of people seems to protect them from predators. Hunting in the city limits is not allowed.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    I'm having trouble logging my food today. Is anyone else having issues with MFP??
  • Katla49
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I logged in again and hope that my situation is fixed. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will work.

IT WORKED! Thank goodness.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,362 Member
    Options
    SuziQ - I put instant coffee in my chocolate fudge cake. And in my chill con carne. I also put cocoa in my chilli. :D

Tea plantations are incredibly beautiful. I have visited quite a few in India and Sri Lanka. They also grow coffee. Yes, Barbie, the history is fascinating.

I added things to my Waitrose online order today. A few things were unobtainable and I had to resort to Amazon. Wine vinegar?!?! :o Bin bags in short supply. Certain toiletries for DH. It just seemed very random. It's all coming on Saturday morning. I like to get things that are hard to obtain from our tiny local supermarket. Which also didn't have wine vinegar. A puzzlement.

Zooming tomorrow with 'the girls'. :)

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,810 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies.. took a nap and picked Dan up and then dropped off Homer.. came home had a burger with Trudy and a couple of spiked seltzers..
    Im listening to Laura Ingalls Wilder books on Facebook live.. loving it
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Pouring rain today. The dog is sad she has to wear her raincoat but when she gets soaked it takes hours for her heavy coat to dry out. Doing well with eating and exercise today.

Rori - Sending you strength and angels.

Katla - We are in the agriburbs and have a whole herd of blacktail deer that move through here regularly. You can approach within about 10 feet of them without them moving off. DD has chased them off only to have them follow her back when she turns back toward the house. We have put up really sturdy fencing made of handy panels and deer netting from TSC. That is about the only thing we have found to stop them. I wish they would munch on all the blackberries.

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Did Reebok Cardio Tone DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Billy’s Boot Camp DVD. This is a new one for me. Hope it’s not all kickboxing, that’s not something that I’m into.

Amber
    – good for you teaching RJ Spanish. How I wish my grandparents had taught me Polish, but I understand why they didn’t

Hmmm…can’t seem to find my post from yesterday. Oh well.

I do remember sending a big hug to Rori

Ordered more cat litter from WalMart. It’s so handy to have them deliver it. They even put it in the garage for me. 35pounds can get real heavy. The only other thing is that Target sometimes has it on sale and I can save $2.50. But then I have a lot in my garage. This was I only have to order 3 to free shipping

Barbara
    – boy, you reminded me of so many games from my childhood. I remember wearing as colorful a babushka as I could just so I’d have all the colors for “Mother May I”

SuziQ
    – glad you got rid of the dresser. One time we had a lawn mower we needed to get rid of. So we put it on the front lawn (remember, we live on a cul-de-sac) and the next day it was gone even tho we put a sign on it “does not work”

Coffee (instant or brewed) – double yuk

Katla – when I go to log my foods, lately many times I’ve gotten the message “MFP does not support”, I just hit the “back button” and then “add food” again, and it usually works

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,189 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Katla - I remember attending a composting workshop and we were told the worst things from a health point of view to add to our compost was dog and cat poop. I did not retain the whats/whys that was just that the poop needed to go in the trash. I would do some research before putting near edibles.

Kim from N. California

A lot of it has to do with the fact that cats and dogs are carnivores. Eating meat means that their scat has certain bacteria in it which is not healthy for humans.

And that's why manure is usually from a plant-eating animal.

Katla49 wrote: »
    I am attempting to use the dog droppings as deer repellant, not compost. Our usual practice is to flush dog droppings down the toilet. If you have a good idea for deer repellent I will be very happy to flush the dog poo as we usually do.

Ask at your local hardware store/garden centre.

Oh I see you did! :)
    Katla49 wrote: »
    I’ve found a deer repellant at Ace Hardware & will get some today. I will be very pleased to make a change for the better.

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,720 Member
    Options
    Lll
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Katla A couple of weeks ago, I moved a hose near the hosta the deer were eating in anticipation of the arrival of my new motion-sensing sprinkler, which I hoped would scare them off without harming them. I recently noticed that the hosta were growing back; I haven't installed the sprinkler yet…so I'm thinking maybe the hose looks like a snake or something. At any rate, the hosta are thriving!

Kim and Katla I learned in my Master Gardener course through our county extension office that dog and cat poop may contain parasites. I think too big a deal is made out of this, since most of us worm our dogs regularly when we give them heartworm medicine. Even so, I don't put dog poop in the compost pile. I wish I had alpaca poop. It's supposed to make wonderful compost.

Rori Thanks for checking in. I think about you every day and wonder how you are doing. I think it wise to go through all of the motions necessary for your husband to be in a care facility, because you don't always have the luxury of planning it all out when the time comes. It's good to have your ducks in a row. You didn't mention your brother…

Tea My plumber instructed me. I put 4 or 5 bags of PG Tips tea into a prewarmed 1 quart ceramic teapot; bring water just to boiling and pour over teabags. Put the teapot into a cozy and steep 5-7 minutes. Then savor a hot cup of strong black tea. For a rare indulgence, I make the tea with 6 bags and put heavy cream in it for a cup of pure heaven. If I'm in a hurry, I put a teabag (Constant Comment or Cinnamon Stick or Peppermint) in my stainless steel Tervis and fill with boiling water & head out the door.

Coffee Peet's coffee. French press. Delish.

…I have to be judicious these days about drinking coffee and tea because I get burny bladder if I indulge too much - and the stronger the brew, the worse the problem.

Pogo discussion I totally forgot we had stilts. I was pretty good on the stilts. And hula hoop. Not good at pogo stick or unicycle, though.

SuziQ Well done on the bureau. My dear mom used to use her smart brain to figure out how to move heavy things by herself. It was amazing what she could accomplish by herself.

Karen in Virginia

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,811 Member
    Options
    Heather - My grandmothers’s brother was a bachelor and lived his whole life in the house they grey up in. I was 12 when he passed away. Many items from the house are now in the County Historical Society. One of those items was an old Pogo that was wooden. I remember playing on it when we went to visit.

Suzi - I have to weigh every day and log every bite to keep on track. I stopped for a few months and it shows.

Lisa - I wasn’t going to comment on the tea post as I was sure everyone would be silently shaking their head at me. I too drink Tetley, boiled water poured over it, I don’t let steep much add milk and two sugar. My Dad used to tell me I should drink dishwater instead. I always reminded him that I was sure it was his Father that gave me tea as a treat when I was young and doctored it for me.

We used to make homemade stilts too! My Dad was the carpenter that made them for my brother and I.

Suzi - I was wondering if you were in an area you could do that. Our little trailer park is quite adept at putting things out for someone to come take. My daughter picked up a cute little bench for her wedding last year from a neighbour that had it. Our Grandson was appalled as he thought she was stealing it.

Instant Coffee- my Mother in Law brought her own bottle of instant coffee with her when she came to visit last year. She was scared we wouldn’t have her brand and wasn’t going to drink “that $*it we call coffee”. I love her to death.

My daughter ran away from her husband and children last night for the first time since February and came to craft at our house. She has spent the last few months completely organizing and cleaning her home. She has one room left. Last night she made a command centre for her dining room to help the Grands learn what their chores are, prepare them for what the meals for the week are and what the plans are. I will share photos in my next post.

I am getting ready to go for a walk when I finish this post I think. I’m actually not feeling 100% today so not sure if I’ll make it or not.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Went back in the pool. It was 86 today and I think now it's warmer. It's getting to the point where it is no longer refreshing. But it WAS good to get doing something. I ask Jess to go for a walk with me or go in the pool. She always says "no". Wish she would. If you want to lose weight, the "eat less, move more" is what you need to do. I just feel so bad for her, but I don't say anything unless she asks me. This afternoon she had 2 cans of spaghettio's. Spaghettio's can be worked into the daily calorie, you just need to account for it. And have one can instead of 2. But I just don't say anything.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    <3Michele, I know how hard it is for you to keep your mouth shut about the things your daughter does that are not good for her health. A wise person told me "Never pass up an opportunity to say nothing".