WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies
    Cooked some chicken thighs and will.mix with some mushrooms for Faith wirh a nice salad for dinner... just got her out of the shower... she is all cleaned up at least for a couple of days.. Alfie passed out on a chair..
    Stunner of a weekend 70s no humidity.. but i cant stray to far from here so..
    I will be able to go home tomorrow afternoon..
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Heather
    UK 611 deaths/million; Ireland 345 deaths/million; USA 346 deaths/million; Sweden 480; Denmark 102; Norway 45. Sweden's economy didn't suffer nearly as much as other countries, but look at the difference when comparing Swedish deaths to those in Norway and Denmark, countries whose economies took a much greater hit. What a trade off. I wonder if the Swedish economy would be looking as good if they had bothered to spend some of that money on saving their elderly vulnerable.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    So Sweden had 75-80% of the deaths per million that the UK had.
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    @Machka I love the kindergarten mask list. they are all so funny and so realistic too.

@Suzi, so many people change furniture so much that (like with clothes and books) there is a glut of used material, and they can't get rid of some of them: transport and storage and disposal has a cost. I was at a meeting with a director in a major museum and we were all stunned to learn that they throw out the showcases (glass and wooden showcases, pedestals, etc. ) from big temporary exhibits. The transport and storage costs are so high. I think some formica furniture is very inexpensive new (I see 6ft high bookshelves for 29 euros yesterday at Ikea) that the second hand cost (usually about 1/4 the price or so) would be so low that it wouldn't justify the storage, and choices have to be made.. I live in a big city on a busy street street with many people walking by and shopping, and so put things on the street just like that (not notifying bulk collection sometimes) and most of the time furniture in good shape gets taken (but not 100% of time). It's true I never see formica in the 2nd hand furniture shops around here. Probably the same issue. But it is a pain to have to move it. do you have any neighbourhood options of helper teens or something? There is also Craig's list. I think it still exists. I have sold furniture for a song or gotten pretty glasses for free on Craig's list. if you put it up for "free" on a website you might get a taker. There is just the security question of having an unknown person come to your home when you are alone. Do you have one of those furniture mover thingies or could you borrow one. I bought a wonderful file cabinet from a neighbour for 25 euros (very good price for the quality and size) and was able to borrow one of those mover things (with wheels) from a very nearby DIY shop who has a policy of lending tools for free 2x a year. On facebook there are many neighbourhood groups too...

DESKS nice to see your desks. Machka you have many screens. mine are all working so so so sometimes I have 3 screens on my desk: 2 laptops and one external screen.

• bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Heather, That casserole looks beautiful and delicious!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Karen,I am so sorry about all those family losses. <3 to you.

@Terri and @Heather: we had pogo sticks, hoola hoops and bongo boards: the trends of the time. My brother could do unicycle too, but the rest of us no. Skate boards became trendy when I was an adult and I just couldn't get the hang of it. Hoola hoop was a breeze. we could do it with ease and forever. I was surprised when I tried it some years ago how hard it was!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka that makes sense that flu rates are down. I got what seemed to be food poisoning or stomach flu mid lockdown and I had no idea how I got it. Surely from food shopping or the then weekly bakery good. I was not in contact and being really careful washing everything changing etc, but impossible to be 100% (no control over bakery goods treatment, whom might have breathed on fresh bakery goods, or fresh berries (berry pickers) that I very occasionally ate.

@Suzi, oh ! I see you got rid of your bureau!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    BIKES and ROLLERSKATES, we spent a LOT of time on bikes and some on roller-skates. It was not great roller-skate terrain (too hilly gravelly, but we would go to the rink regularly when I was about 10 or 11. It was a thing. I was reasonably good at it (nothing special) but never very good at iceskating. I have had a few not very serious bicycle accidents. Most notable was when riding bicycle down the 5 steps of the front steps in front of the house. I ended up in the bushes. no pain but my elbow was disjointed and stuck in bent position for 2 days. still now it has a very slight bend just a few degrees that I could always feel if I had to carry a bunch of groceries a good distance in bags with handles. And when I was just off training wheels (at 5) I was with my older siblings and their friends on a group bicycle trip around the "block", including a big descent. I wasn't up to managing the descent and had a big loss of control, (and falling) that I still remember well.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    STILTS: I think I tried them when I was a kid and couldn't get the hang of it.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka congratulations on your coursework and test!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    POOL We had a pool table in the cellar, so I'm decent at pool. Not fantastic, but I can manage acceptably.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Kate I'm sorry about your BIL's funeral. one of my neighbour's mom died (not from COVID) early in lockdown and it was particularly rough for him with current conditions.

@Heather, yes that's one nice thing about the cleaner coming is the cleaning (and or tidying) before the cleaning.

@Barbie, I guess it's less effortful to watch a video about cooking than to cook. :D
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    HAIRCUT Here we are well into phase 2 of deconfinement. shops have been open for a month and outside tables at restaurants and cafés for 11 days. I got my 1st haircut in a very long time this week. I was already running VERY late for a cut before lockdown. Hair considerably shorter than in the past years. I like it. The hairdresser hesitated as she had seen me the one time in my life I had very long hair (waist length) about 2 to 4 years ago (I figured I'd try that once before I was possibly too old for that (hair health or other) just to see how long it could grow. I suppose it could have grown longer but that was plenty for me.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    COVID AND LOCKDOWN @Lisa I agree more or less with your take on things concerning COVID and lockdown. What I saw also is that the transmission rate has decreased in many places due to social distancing. (if it's less than 1.0 that's good), and that the death rate per case, really seems to have decreased in many places. presumably there is more testing and thus we are aware of more cases. but there are so many possibly hypotheses for all this that I won't bore you by citing all these stats. living alone I felt pretty down being confined even if I went for an hour long walk most days, which most people here did not do. It is said that many people have been traumatised or had mental health issues due to lockdown. (Here people are going to lots of outdoor tables when the weather is ok. This evening, it was very busy in restaurants that eat up the streets and sidewalks with tables.) Many many will have major issues, and mental health issues due to job loss. In France they said, after 2 months of strict lockdown, something like if we don't open up slowly we won't have a country to save, the idea being that the country structure was at risk of complete breakdown if the strict lockdown went on much longer.

We'll see how it goes. Here many hypothesise that it will come back with the cool weather but I see no stats to that effect.

We may have a big meeting on July 2 with masks, sitting in every other seat. I hope so as I'm tired of living largely on a screen.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    COVID AND LOCKDOWN In the beginning they knew very little about it. The first few who died here in France were over 60 and all but one over 75. Then we started losing some young healthy people and that's when they quickly implemented generalised lockdown for all. At the time the projected death rate was 3.6 and the contamination rate in france was about 4 (every person contaminated 4 people on average). The death rate seems to be considerably lower, and the contamination rate has decreased about 6 fold in France (to about 0.7 people contaminated per case as of last news). In France we were just a hair behind Italy in both timing and deaths per million, and Italy was doing Triage (choosing who they let die and who they treated). In France we managed to avoid that, but not by much. At the crux of it many dozens of the sick in Paris region and the east of France were being shipped to other regions (west and south west) where the numbers were much more reasonable).

I'm not a supporter of the way the government dealt with things in France (particularly they were not straightforward and were constantly contracting themselves day after day), and I really did not love the lockdown. it is not good for me personally nor professionally, I'd say. but just telling people not to kiss etc, didn't seem to be working.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Snowflake the chairs look great!
  • bananasandoranges
    edited June 2020
    Options
    @I had to do a ton of paperwork on wed and thurs particularly. I sort of vegged out on Friday and today to compensate. It doesn't make me feel better to veg but there it is.

I think I'm somewhat in the down mood. I saw a psy and she suggested I try meds (something light and low dose).
    I tried 2 days but felt like I was in a bubble and slow and could talk but not think really quick on my feet (needed for my work). I asked if she wanted to try another one but she said it might well give the same effect if I had this effect from such a light one, and it wouldn't be a good trade off. it was her idea, so I figure she knows what she's talking about. she seems very competent.

glass of wine alone this evening. I tried to go to outdoor café for glass of wine (after day of vegging I went for an hour long or so stroll), but they had far more people than expected with tables spread way down the sidewalk and after 30 min the 2 waiters still hadn't gotten to some of us, and I figured they never would.

Place in disarray, much ironing to do, and almost no clean dishes left. That is not common for me!

Meeting some friends tomorrow at end of day for a thing, thank goodness.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    a weeks worth of reading (skimming) and posting