WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,138 Member
    Just found this page. I have been using MyFitnessPal for almost a year for tracking my meals and exercise but haven't ventured to anything else.
    I am 58yrs old. Have lost 25lbs in just over a year. Sticking to 1000 cal a day and trying to add in exercise when I can. Loosing is so much slower than I thought it would be. I really was hoping to be 10-15 pounds lighter by Aug, October by the latest. A few big events coming up.
    Any suggestions are so greatly appreciated.
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Katla,
    I am not a big raccoon fan either because they are big rabies carriers and very unpredictable animals. In my area they typically do not look for a warm place since the weather is so fair and are not too destructive. This one looked like he was looking for an easy meal. It is sad because they keep tearing down what little wooded areas we have left so we see more and more wildlife just trying to survive.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Amber: Congratulations on all of your great progress. WTG!!! :star::star::star:

AASlender: Welcome to a supportive group of women. Stop by often for encouragement and support. Best advice: weigh &/or measure all foods so you know how much you are eating. Let MyFitnessPal set your calorie goals. Your allowed amount of food will gradually reduce as you lose weight. This is a race between the tortoise and the hare. You know who wins. Be the tortoise and go steadily forward. Visit with this group as often as you like. We’re a chatty group and you will be welcome here. We come from all over the place, from Britain & Ireland to US & Canada, and Tasmania. :flowerforyou:

Heather: I'm not sure I understand the use of “shielding.” Do you mean he is shielding at home during the pandemic? Some of our friends and neighbors are staying mostly at home, too. They order food from the grocery store and pick it up in the grocery store parking lot. :star:

I have had a favorite card shop/ice-cream store for years. It was called Bertucci’s. I drove by on my way home from running errands today and the store was totally empty. I hope they find a new location. The operators were chatty and friendly. I’ll miss seeing them now and then. :ohwell:

Yoga news—There will be classes on Monday evenings and Friday mornings! YAYYY! I am hoping to go to both. The evening class is more difficult for me because I’m needed at home in the evenings but I’m planning to give it a try. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    B)
  • dlfk202000
    Retired for the second time & facing my 58th birthday. I want to go through retirement lean & lively, so here I am again trying to lose those stubborn 10 pounds.
    Dee - Alabama

Dee- congratulations on retirement. I am hoping to do that soon.(I am also 58) Hoping to also loose 10-15 more pounds- lived in Alabama for a short time MANY years ago-
  • Katla49
    Barbara: I haven’t seen signs of any creatures other than deer in my bean patch. I haven’t noticed new damage in the last day or two, and I’ve replanted fresh bean seeds in places that were damaged. I’m keeping my fingers crossed. My other food producers are herbs: parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme. This season I bought 2 chocolate mint plants. I also have three blue berry bushes. The berries are tiny and green now, but they will eventually be glorious blue. Deer have munched them in the past and I put nets over the blueberries with some positive results. The nets will need to be repurchased since the originals have disappeared. I can wait until the berries are turning color. They’re still very small and green.

Looking at your contextual identities, I share some of the things on your list but I can’t dance. I get mixed up and dizzy when I try. :embarassed:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • Jaxsgma
    Jaxsgma Posts: 55 Member
    Thank you Machka9 for inviting me to this group,

Thank you everyone for having me, Been on MFP now for 35 days and doing pretty well. I am 64 years old, and live in Cincinnati Ohio.

Now that we can get out, I am able to go down to the park and walk, I missed it, Only able to walk a little around my house during the lock down.

This month is already going fast. It seems like yesterday it was the first, and now here we are two weeks away from July. Hope that July will not be as hectic, like the virus or riot's we had since March till now.

Glad to be here with all of you.

Jaxsgma :)
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Barbara- Gots a new gasket it’s leaked the first day thinking it’s defective. Glass pitcher type. Leaky defective thing.

Well done trying to figure out the ships insects by the description Y found a pic that looks like it .The heads called pest control the Naval one they got it down for sure by now. https://maritime.org/doc/pdf/sbpc.pdf
    kceewsckaapj.jpeg
    I’m not sure the exact breed either but if it’s a California ant species or a species from the last port always a risk of electrical damage if they take up residence in a control box. Tiniest little insect she could barely make out features. She told them so process is started this morning to get rid of them. I hate stow always especially the vermin kinds.

Decided something different for dinner so no pizza felt like potatoes,stuffing ,y corn 🌽 instead.

Watching the news just led me to turning it off.Rainy day so watching Hulu instead MrBean in the black Adder.
  • dlfk202000
    edited June 2020
    Good afternoon from the beautiful Napa Valley
  • Katla49
    :star:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,595 Member
    Katla - Yes, he is shielding because he has had severe liver problems no one knows why, not alcohol related, and currently has a slow growing kidney cancer. It is difficult because of a working wife, teenagers, and only one bathroom. He keeps away from them as much as he can in a separate room and disinfects the bathroom. He had hoped to move into separate accommodation, but I don't think he could find anything at short notice. At one stage Glasgow was high risk. Teenagers bring their own risks. He is ok so far.

We've suddenly had a jump in our cases locally. Reporting is bumpy and we've had nothing for several days. Today a jump of 18. :s Boo.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,055 Member
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Barbara and SuziQ Thanks so much for your comments about my mom. She was wise. Wise and articulate. She had a way of seeing a different perspective than other people. Additionally, she was very savvy about what made people tick, and would pick up on subtle nuances that gave her great insight into people. She made others feel as if they had been listened to - really heard. SuziQ, even though you describe yourself as a bull in a china shop, you have similar skills. And Barbara, your posts clearly show the care you take when you read our posts. You don't miss any of the subtle details. It is one of those attributes the two of you may not fully give yourselves credit for, as Irish Terri said. It's like being really good at math because it comes easily, and then thinking it's no big deal to be good at math (because it comes easily).

>>>

At first, I was thinking I wouldn't want to live without a washing machine…but then I realized my refrigerator is far more important. Some of you may remember how long we were refrigerator-less when we were going through those endless repair cycles about a year ago. I have thought about that a lot this spring during the pandemic. I have been so grateful the last 3 months to have a reliable refrigerator. We would have had to buy a brand new refrigerator if it had happened this year!

>>>

Heather Yes, I adore puzzles, and incorporated puzzles into my Learning Coach approach whenever I could. My grandson didn't totally appreciate them, but both he and my granddaughter enjoyed hiding a superhero figure for me to find. The rule was that it had to be hidden in plain sight. They stumped me more than once. Clever children they are.

What was that French language program you recommended? I thought I might take a look at it.

>>>

Karen in Virginia

>>>
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,129 Member
    :)drkatie, that is a great Alexa story. I read it to Jake and he laughed, too.

:) This morning Jake asked Alexa about today's news. She gave him a choice of networks, he chose one, and then she talked endlessly about a zillion news stories. I asked him to wait til I leave tomorrow, if he wants to do that again.

:) In addition to conversations with Alexa, Jake now has a bunch of perky women he watches on YouTube telling him how to cook things in his Ninja Foodie.

:)“When the caterpillar in its chrysalis is changing into a butterfly, does it think it’s dying?”
    —Oubria Tronshaw
    (From Broken Places & Outer Spaces by Nnedi Okorafor) I am listening to this as an audio book and I highly recommend it as extremely timely and thought provoking.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Katla I just thought of something! Are your dogs going to escape the July 4th fireworks dilemma this year due to the pandemic restrictions?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,129 Member
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Just found this page. I have been using MyFitnessPal for almost a year for tracking my meals and exercise but haven't ventured to anything else.
    I am 58yrs old. Have lost 25lbs in just over a year. Sticking to 1000 cal a day and trying to add in exercise when I can. Loosing is so much slower than I thought it would be. I really was hoping to be 10-15 pounds lighter by Aug, October by the latest. A few big events coming up.
    Any suggestions are so greatly appreciated.

:) Two suggestions:
    *don't set a weight loss goal on a timeline, instead set goals of drinking more water and seeking every opportunity to be active
    *check in with this thread every day for new ideas and support

<3 Barbie
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Siri- It can’t understand a word I say or what I want for some reason we start to argue. Hubby y Daughter don’t know why it happens either have witnessed it.Siri calls me names I call her names back we really get heated. Hubby said maybe it’s just your phone. Nope his started arguing with me too. But it loves JR will do anything he wants. I find it offensive he understands a toddler who barely pronounces calls stuff doggie 🐶 but can’t understand a simple command from me like call Dad. I think it’s my accent y way I speak it’s not made for me at all.

My cousin has Alexa strong accent it understands him so probably what I need. Luckily JR iPod has a different one not sure the name it has Samsung one bit it gets me.

Amber Tx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,474 Member
    Did a Dressed Up Drills DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength DVD.

Amber – I don’t know if financially it is better to make your own yogurt, but you can drain it longer and I think the taste isn’t as “tart” as what you buy at the store. Speaking of which – ran to Food Lion (I think I was the only one in the store) and got more milk for making yogurt. I like to make it during the day and then let it drain at night because I’d be too tempted to have some without it being drained.

Rainy here and in the 60’s. Hey Mother Nature…this is June!!! I shutter to think of what the pool temp is. Cold and rainy – what a “yuk” combination

Pip – I think we all are in agreement that you are NOT an idiot. Everyone on here just tries to be helpful and give ideas of things you might not have thought of. I know that’s happened to me on more than one occasion. Congrats to Kirby on his “soon to be” retirement. Speaking of which – what are your plans for when you move? Find another job at your new location? Take early retirement?

Kate UK – what a testament that you’ve been married so long! I think too many people won’t stick it out through the bad parts. Happy anniversary!

A friend of mine has all the symptoms of C-19, yet she’s been tested twice and twice the results came back negative. Even her MD thinks she has it since she has all the symptoms

SuziQ – that’s EXACTLY what I’m thinking, the Roomba will be great for the cat fur and crumbs. Also, it can get under some things (like china cabinet) that are just a pain for me to get under. I’m so looking forward to using it more.

I don’t know which appliance I can’t live without. I love my dishwasher, but also my washing machine. I don’t think I can stand the water hot enough to sanitize the dishes/clothes. Well, if I had to, I could always go to a laundromat. So it would probably be the dishwasher.

Vince laughs at me because most times I wash my floors on my hands and knees. To me, the floors get cleaner that way. He’d rather stand up and use the mop. Well, good thing it’s me who washes the floor most times.

I just read that it is recommended to skip the shower at the gym (when it opens) and take a shower at home. Why? The only thing I ever touch is the curtain and the handle to turn on the water. I always have shoes on my feet. I usually don’t use any soap at the gym as the shower is more of a “wash off the sweat” shower. I’m trying to figure out why you shouldn’t take a shower there. Any ideas?

Every time I have to lower the temp of the milk (when making yogurt) I always think “getting ice from the soup kitchen would be great” But volunteering only one day/week makes it hard

We’re letting the Roomba map out the house right now. Made meatballs for the weekend. I’m thinking one night will be spaghetti and meatballs since I’m not sure what time Steve will be here or when Jess will get home from work. Speaking of Jess, lately she doesn’t have breakfast. I know it’s because she feels if she doesn’t have breakfast, then she can sleep a little bit later. Maybe tonight I'll ask her if she'd like me to make her a breakfast muffin so she can just grab it and eat it in the car on her way to work. Update: it (Roomba) ran for about 3 hours but it says that it’s only 50% mapped. Next time we’ll probably run it on clean

Amber
    – I have no doubt that you’ll make your 60 mark, none at all.

AAslender – I know somewhat of what you are saying. It is VERY hard for me not to gain weight during all this. I do have to say, tho, that I’ve at least maintained (for the most part) but it’s certainly not easy. You CAN do it

SuziQ – ohh,,,that recipe sounds so so good. Only without the nuts. I don’t care for nuts IN my food. Otherwise, it sounds oh so good. Are they full sized muffins or mini muffins. How many muffins does one recipe make? I guess I could always put it into MFP’s recipe builder, but I thought you might know off the hand

Dlfk – welcome. I would say to continue doing what you’re doing (tracking, etc) and the weight WILL come off. It may take a while, but it’ll happen. Many times it helps to up your calories one day, maybe to something like 1200. Shock the body.

Barbara – I will certainly be letting you all know how the Roomba works out. Right now he’s still mapping the house. We thought he would have been done earlier, but he was only 50% done. He’s vacuuming right now. It says that it’ll map after 2 to 5 cleanings. Judging from how much he picked up before when he wasn’t vacuuming, we’ll have him vacuum right now. I’m really not that messy of a housekeeper, I really am not

Jaxsgma – welcome. And thank you, M, for inviting her

Just saw a sign that a buffet place around here is open. Wonder how they’re doing it? They can’t be giving everyone a spoon because you’d wind up putting the spoon in different foods. Yet, the spoon in food will be touched by lots of people. Maybe they’re giving everyone gloves? But I would think that would be expensive. Maybe they’re requiring everyone to wear gloves? And if you don’t have gloves with you, you can buy a pair there? I wonder…… Anyone have experience with a buffet place?

Interesting…the Roomba knows when it’s bag is full so it goes to its homebase, empties, and then goes back out to clean.

Michele NC