WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara: I sent the information you wanted to see. Let me know what you think about it.

Katla
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    What private group?
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Just found this page. I have been using MyFitnessPal for almost a year for tracking my meals and exercise but haven't ventured to anything else.
    I am 58yrs old. Have lost 25lbs in just over a year. Sticking to 1000 cal a day and trying to add in exercise when I can. Loosing is so much slower than I thought it would be. I really was hoping to be 10-15 pounds lighter by Aug, October by the latest. A few big events coming up.
    Any suggestions are so greatly appreciated.

:) Two suggestions:
    *don't set a weight loss goal on a timeline, instead set goals of drinking more water and seeking every opportunity to be active
    *check in with this thread every day for new ideas and support

<3 Barbie

Thank you!
    I am trying to stay more active. I was doing great before the virus hit and shut down our Zumba class- lost motivation. I was doing an hour every morning on the treadmill then Zumba for an hour two nights a week and some ab workouts after if the teacher could stay. Yesterday I started back on the exercise bike for an hour and adding in a little cardio on the machine along with the bike this evening.
    the timeline I set is because in Aug. I will be seeing my first husband and meeting his new wife. Seeing him is great- we are best friends but haven't seen him in 5 yrs(he lives back east). The other deadline is our 40yr class reunion. I know I will never be back the weight I was in high school but not comfortable with where I am now.
    I will check in on this thread now that I know it is here.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did a Dressed Up Drills DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength DVD.

Amber – I don’t know if financially it is better to make your own yogurt, but you can drain it longer and I think the taste isn’t as “tart” as what you buy at the store. Speaking of which – ran to Food Lion (I think I was the only one in the store) and got more milk for making yogurt. I like to make it during the day and then let it drain at night because I’d be too tempted to have some without it being drained.

Rainy here and in the 60’s. Hey Mother Nature…this is June!!! I shutter to think of what the pool temp is. Cold and rainy – what a “yuk” combination

Pip – I think we all are in agreement that you are NOT an idiot. Everyone on here just tries to be helpful and give ideas of things you might not have thought of. I know that’s happened to me on more than one occasion. Congrats to Kirby on his “soon to be” retirement. Speaking of which – what are your plans for when you move? Find another job at your new location? Take early retirement?

Kate UK – what a testament that you’ve been married so long! I think too many people won’t stick it out through the bad parts. Happy anniversary!

A friend of mine has all the symptoms of C-19, yet she’s been tested twice and twice the results came back negative. Even her MD thinks she has it since she has all the symptoms

SuziQ – that’s EXACTLY what I’m thinking, the Roomba will be great for the cat fur and crumbs. Also, it can get under some things (like china cabinet) that are just a pain for me to get under. I’m so looking forward to using it more.

I don’t know which appliance I can’t live without. I love my dishwasher, but also my washing machine. I don’t think I can stand the water hot enough to sanitize the dishes/clothes. Well, if I had to, I could always go to a laundromat. So it would probably be the dishwasher.

Vince laughs at me because most times I wash my floors on my hands and knees. To me, the floors get cleaner that way. He’d rather stand up and use the mop. Well, good thing it’s me who washes the floor most times.

I just read that it is recommended to skip the shower at the gym (when it opens) and take a shower at home. Why? The only thing I ever touch is the curtain and the handle to turn on the water. I always have shoes on my feet. I usually don’t use any soap at the gym as the shower is more of a “wash off the sweat” shower. I’m trying to figure out why you shouldn’t take a shower there. Any ideas?

Every time I have to lower the temp of the milk (when making yogurt) I always think “getting ice from the soup kitchen would be great” But volunteering only one day/week makes it hard

We’re letting the Roomba map out the house right now. Made meatballs for the weekend. I’m thinking one night will be spaghetti and meatballs since I’m not sure what time Steve will be here or when Jess will get home from work. Speaking of Jess, lately she doesn’t have breakfast. I know it’s because she feels if she doesn’t have breakfast, then she can sleep a little bit later. Maybe tonight I'll ask her if she'd like me to make her a breakfast muffin so she can just grab it and eat it in the car on her way to work. Update: it (Roomba) ran for about 3 hours but it says that it’s only 50% mapped. Next time we’ll probably run it on clean

Amber
    – I have no doubt that you’ll make your 60 mark, none at all.

AAslender – I know somewhat of what you are saying. It is VERY hard for me not to gain weight during all this. I do have to say, tho, that I’ve at least maintained (for the most part) but it’s certainly not easy. You CAN do it

SuziQ – ohh,,,that recipe sounds so so good. Only without the nuts. I don’t care for nuts IN my food. Otherwise, it sounds oh so good. Are they full sized muffins or mini muffins. How many muffins does one recipe make? I guess I could always put it into MFP’s recipe builder, but I thought you might know off the hand

Dlfk – welcome. I would say to continue doing what you’re doing (tracking, etc) and the weight WILL come off. It may take a while, but it’ll happen. Many times it helps to up your calories one day, maybe to something like 1200. Shock the body.

Barbara – I will certainly be letting you all know how the Roomba works out. Right now he’s still mapping the house. We thought he would have been done earlier, but he was only 50% done. He’s vacuuming right now. It says that it’ll map after 2 to 5 cleanings. Judging from how much he picked up before when he wasn’t vacuuming, we’ll have him vacuum right now. I’m really not that messy of a housekeeper, I really am not

Jaxsgma – welcome. And thank you, M, for inviting her

Just saw a sign that a buffet place around here is open. Wonder how they’re doing it? They can’t be giving everyone a spoon because you’d wind up putting the spoon in different foods. Yet, the spoon in food will be touched by lots of people. Maybe they’re giving everyone gloves? But I would think that would be expensive. Maybe they’re requiring everyone to wear gloves? And if you don’t have gloves with you, you can buy a pair there? I wonder…… Anyone have experience with a buffet place?

Interesting…the Roomba knows when it’s bag is full so it goes to its homebase, empties, and then goes back out to clean.

Michele NC

Thanks Michele-
    I will try and eat more. I planned on it yesterday but didn't happen. I have been sticking to the 1000 cal for so long that it is hard to go over. I tried going under this past week, staying at about 800 and actually gained half a pound which was very hard to see.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    What private group?

Hi, Katla - you'll find it at https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50, it's the same group I started sometime back so people could find us, but it kind of died on the vine. I repurposed it into a private group where people can if they choose come to talk about those things we ask them not to here, religion, politics, etc. So far, mainly opinions and other things around the current issues in the world, mostly. If you would like to either participate or simply lurk, and you're not already a member, please request it. I won't be opening it to anyone who is not a member of this group.

Lisa in
    AR
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    dlfk - you know, if you constantly go under calories, your body starts to hold onto the fat thinking that it's never going to get enough calories. That's why sometimes I find I actually lose when I go over a bit just for one day because it's so so easy to continue to go over day after day after day, especially now

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    edited June 2020
    Options
    dlfk - you know, if you constantly go under calories, your body starts to hold onto the fat thinking that it's never going to get enough calories. That's why sometimes I find I actually lose when I go over a bit just for one day because it's so so easy to continue to go over day after day after day, especially now

Michele NC

Thanks!! I am going to try it. I guess I need to find a splurge meal for that day. Haven't had one in so long- even on our cruise I was very careful but never felt deprived by my choices on it.
    How often should I do this?
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Michele-Same for me so I get a splurge day to budge them.

Amber Tx

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

didn't ride to wrk, just because...

Bike ride home 2 dome- 13.03min, 135mhr, 11.9amph, 2.59mi= 80c
    Apple Watch- 77c
    Bike ride puy 2 sumn sta- 15.16min, 14.2amph, 153mhr, 3.61mi= didn't record
    apple watch- 151c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.09min, 9.45min mi, 114mhr, .52mi= didn't record
    apple watch- 69c
    walk wrk 2 sta, windy- 4.12min, 9.17min mi, 152mhr, .45mi= 63c
    apple watch- 56c
    bike ride dome 2 home- 16.29min, 9.2amph, 151mhr, 2.53mi= 202c
    apple watch- 149c

total cal 565
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,710 Member
    Options
    Did a Dressed Up Drills DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength DVD.

Amber – I don’t know if financially it is better to make your own yogurt, but you can drain it longer and I think the taste isn’t as “tart” as what you buy at the store. Speaking of which – ran to Food Lion (I think I was the only one in the store) and got more milk for making yogurt. I like to make it during the day and then let it drain at night because I’d be too tempted to have some without it being drained.

Rainy here and in the 60’s. Hey Mother Nature…this is June!!! I shutter to think of what the pool temp is. Cold and rainy – what a “yuk” combination

Pip – I think we all are in agreement that you are NOT an idiot. Everyone on here just tries to be helpful and give ideas of things you might not have thought of. I know that’s happened to me on more than one occasion. Congrats to Kirby on his “soon to be” retirement. Speaking of which – what are your plans for when you move? Find another job at your new location? Take early retirement?

Kate UK – what a testament that you’ve been married so long! I think too many people won’t stick it out through the bad parts. Happy anniversary!

A friend of mine has all the symptoms of C-19, yet she’s been tested twice and twice the results came back negative. Even her MD thinks she has it since she has all the symptoms

SuziQ – that’s EXACTLY what I’m thinking, the Roomba will be great for the cat fur and crumbs. Also, it can get under some things (like china cabinet) that are just a pain for me to get under. I’m so looking forward to using it more.

I don’t know which appliance I can’t live without. I love my dishwasher, but also my washing machine. I don’t think I can stand the water hot enough to sanitize the dishes/clothes. Well, if I had to, I could always go to a laundromat. So it would probably be the dishwasher.

Vince laughs at me because most times I wash my floors on my hands and knees. To me, the floors get cleaner that way. He’d rather stand up and use the mop. Well, good thing it’s me who washes the floor most times.

I just read that it is recommended to skip the shower at the gym (when it opens) and take a shower at home. Why? The only thing I ever touch is the curtain and the handle to turn on the water. I always have shoes on my feet. I usually don’t use any soap at the gym as the shower is more of a “wash off the sweat” shower. I’m trying to figure out why you shouldn’t take a shower there. Any ideas?

Every time I have to lower the temp of the milk (when making yogurt) I always think “getting ice from the soup kitchen would be great” But volunteering only one day/week makes it hard

We’re letting the Roomba map out the house right now. Made meatballs for the weekend. I’m thinking one night will be spaghetti and meatballs since I’m not sure what time Steve will be here or when Jess will get home from work. Speaking of Jess, lately she doesn’t have breakfast. I know it’s because she feels if she doesn’t have breakfast, then she can sleep a little bit later. Maybe tonight I'll ask her if she'd like me to make her a breakfast muffin so she can just grab it and eat it in the car on her way to work. Update: it (Roomba) ran for about 3 hours but it says that it’s only 50% mapped. Next time we’ll probably run it on clean

Amber
    – I have no doubt that you’ll make your 60 mark, none at all.

AAslender – I know somewhat of what you are saying. It is VERY hard for me not to gain weight during all this. I do have to say, tho, that I’ve at least maintained (for the most part) but it’s certainly not easy. You CAN do it

SuziQ – ohh,,,that recipe sounds so so good. Only without the nuts. I don’t care for nuts IN my food. Otherwise, it sounds oh so good. Are they full sized muffins or mini muffins. How many muffins does one recipe make? I guess I could always put it into MFP’s recipe builder, but I thought you might know off the hand

Dlfk – welcome. I would say to continue doing what you’re doing (tracking, etc) and the weight WILL come off. It may take a while, but it’ll happen. Many times it helps to up your calories one day, maybe to something like 1200. Shock the body.

Barbara – I will certainly be letting you all know how the Roomba works out. Right now he’s still mapping the house. We thought he would have been done earlier, but he was only 50% done. He’s vacuuming right now. It says that it’ll map after 2 to 5 cleanings. Judging from how much he picked up before when he wasn’t vacuuming, we’ll have him vacuum right now. I’m really not that messy of a housekeeper, I really am not

Jaxsgma – welcome. And thank you, M, for inviting her

Just saw a sign that a buffet place around here is open. Wonder how they’re doing it? They can’t be giving everyone a spoon because you’d wind up putting the spoon in different foods. Yet, the spoon in food will be touched by lots of people. Maybe they’re giving everyone gloves? But I would think that would be expensive. Maybe they’re requiring everyone to wear gloves? And if you don’t have gloves with you, you can buy a pair there? I wonder…… Anyone have experience with a buffet place?

Interesting…the Roomba knows when it’s bag is full so it goes to its homebase, empties, and then goes back out to clean.

Michele NC

early retirement, he doesn't want me to work
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I ended my fast at hour 44. It was a very positive experience! I woke up to my body being in hour 41, feeling really lean and alert! Last night I was positively hyper! Took magnesium and that calmed me down, plus I took a hot shower. Fasting makes me really cold in my hands and feet!
    I opened my eating window today with some broth ( my homemade chicken/turmeric), and sipped a mug full. Then I waited and had my leftover meal I had made on Sunday. Suasage/ cabbage/onion/zucchini/baby potatoes and wild rice mixture. I warmed up a cups worth. I sipped on mineral water. Pure contentment.👍
    💖Rebecca
    Starting back on to my next fast. Its a nice little rollercoaster I am putting myself on.👍
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    B)
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: called AAA reduce membership level, cleaning, 5 mins Guest Bth, 28 mins Master Bth, line dance class,
    Bonus: 7 mins misc cleaning, two loads laundry
    Get to do: T’ai Chi, Post Office, Farmers’ Market, Grocery Outlet, call Pacific Vision for appointment, call PC guy about mic/speaker, invest 10 mins cleaning Guest Bth, carry over 4 mins cleaning Living Rm, carry over 5 mins cleaning Master Bath, find out how to amend firehouse articles of incorporation/contacts, mat work, BB&B, Post Office to pick up Joe’s toy, practice new dances (Evergreen, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right, Quarter after one, Half Past Tipsy, Senorita, Dance Monkey; next week final? Follow up call for Joe’s Dr. appointment, bottle return, transplant pineapples, make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; follow up call to schedule stove repair guy to adjust kitchen flame and assess Aunt Elsie’s Stove to determine if finish cleaning and start de-rusting feasible; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine,
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.

Katla I have not yet received your pm. :cry: Dancing, I get mixed up and dizzy sometimes too. And trip over my own feet. Fortunately our teacher and the other students are good humored.
    Kay “…just telling her to stop” :lol: Siri and I are not friends. Whenever I accidentally trigger her, I don’t know how to get back to the dread touchscreen without pressing the “go to sleep” button.
    Karen in VA :blush: It’s a lot easier to “listen” to gals’ posts, than it is to listen to people in person. I’m a terrible interrupter.
    Barbie Alexa AND a bunch of perky, youTube, NinjaFoodie women ? :noway:
    Michele that automatic empty feature must be new. What a great idea!
    Amber I wouldn’t have Alexa in my house, it’s just too creepy that “she”’s always there… listening… ggggggg!
    Kim you are so right, we do rock!
    Rebecca thank you so much for sharing your fasting experience. So happy it’s making you feel better. Me, I get a headache and am NOT fun to live with if I don’t eat at least every so often..
    Tracey, for a few months I lived with a group of hippies in a cottage along the Russian River. Our only heat was a wood burning sheet metal stove which of course went out every night. The rule was, whoever got up first had to re-start the fire. This meant whoever’s bladder could hold out longest. I got very good at starting the fire. ;)

Tomorrow will be a busy day, so posting now.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    June: better than May.
    daily: steps=4082 so far vits=16 log=16 CI<CO=13 CI<250<CO=9 Tumble & Shadow 5=5 mfp=15 clean 10 mins=6 outside=7 up hill=9
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=3 dance=3
    mnthly: board mtg= grant=1 review 20for20=
    bonus: AF=9 play=0 sew=1
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    SuziQ, Thanks for the bran muffin recipe! Looks yummy!
    Evelyn
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I've had to skip quite a few pages, I got so far behind I would never have caught up. Not sure what is the matter with me, but I'm a bit demotivated with everything. I don't know where the time goes, I feel as if I am busy, but nothing seems to get done :o

Thinking about the appliance I can't live without - one of the things would be my boiler (I often "hug" the radiator I'm so cold :) ) and I think the washing machine would be another. I don't have a dishwasher (no room in the kitchen)

Things are starting to open up over here, the town centre opened up on Monday and apparently there were queues for certain shops. I ventured out to the bank last week when everything else was closed, it was strange to see the centre so empty, only a few people about. Sounds like that will soon change. I think I'll leave it a few more weeks yet before going shopping.

Happy Birthday and Happy Anniversary to Allie and Kate (I think) apologies if I've got that wrong.

Going to drink more water today, perhaps I'm dehydrated.

Love to all
    Viv UK <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Karen - He's called Pierre. 'Français avec Pierre'. You can just dip into something that looks interesting , or you can sign up for free lessons, beginner or intermediate/advanced. Barbara is doing that. There is a more extensive paid for version as well. I just do the dipping as my motive is just to hear the language to keep it active in my brain while my French Circle is postponed. I'm liking the ones about common or slang expressions. :D
    I didn't remember you were interested in French. Are you thinking of a trip some time? Or maybe to Quebec? I really want to visit French Canada. I thought of doing it for my 70th, but knew I would have to organize it all, so I picked a cruise instead. :p If you come to France we could meet up. :o

Facebook reminded me that it's just over 4 years ago that I met up with Penny at the Pole. Last week there was a travel programme that featured Svalbard. A couple of members of this thread have scheduled meet ups with me in London, but then their trip was cancelled. :'(
    Our very good friends have made it over on a special flight from Colombia and are quarantining in Norfolk near his parents. What a huge change of life! He is taking over a brand new international school in Amsterdam. They have two children under ten. The wife is Colombian and they have lived there for about eight years. A good excuse for us to go to Amsterdam as we have never been as a couple. It is amazing how well we get on with our friends as there is a big age difference between us. Thirty years? We've only met up twice since they moved to Colombia, but each time it is as if we saw them last week. <3 He is DH's old teaching colleague.

Oh well, on with my book!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx