Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,674 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: Yikes! I hope that whatever ageist put that together winds up old dumpy and fat. :grumble: I hope, like Heather, that I more closely resemble the 40 year old, or even the 50 year old. :star:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,330 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Carol - The picture I posted was just a screenshot, not a link, sorry! :'(
    You just have go to YouTube and type/ search for AATV Italian rations.

Oh Barbie, that makes me very happy! <3 I have only met his 'stepdaughter ' once in passing, so it was nice to 'meet' her.
    To think my son had years of anxiety and depression, having to resign from his job and sell his house. I think he's even lost a little bit of weight. Long may it continue that he is happy. He still has no job, no house etc etc, but he is happy.

My Zoom with the girls went fine, if a bit chaotic. :D I am blessed to have had these best friends for about 55 years. :o

I'm pining for the grandchildren. Must get something organized. Every day the weather says thunderstorms, but we haven't had any.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Heather ~ I found the video on Youtube. Your son is so funny! I am glad that he has found a happy life again.

• Katla49
    Options
    Terri: You are beautiful!!! :heart:

Heather: You are very lucky in your lifelong friendships. I strongly suspect that you are the glue that holds friendships together. You are remarkable. :star:

I am hoping for a telephone chat with my doctor today. Working with her assistant, I set up plans to take a home test for colon health rather that going into a situation in Portland with much higher Covid 19 risks than here. I think I have everything set up correctly with her assistant but I am not confident.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Karen - He's called Pierre. 'Français avec Pierre'. You can just dip into something that looks interesting , or you can sign up for free lessons, beginner or intermediate/advanced. Barbara is doing that. There is a more extensive paid for version as well. I just do the dipping as my motive is just to hear the language to keep it active in my brain while my French Circle is postponed. I'm liking the ones about common or slang expressions. :D
    I didn't remember you were interested in French. Are you thinking of a trip some time? Or maybe to Quebec? I really want to visit French Canada. I thought of doing it for my 70th, but knew I would have to organize it all, so I picked a cruise instead. :p If you come to France we could meet up. :o

Facebook reminded me that it's just over 4 years ago that I met up with Penny at the Pole. Last week there was a travel programme that featured Svalbard. A couple of members of this thread have scheduled meet ups with me in London, but then their trip was cancelled. :'(
    Our very good friends have made it over on a special flight from Colombia and are quarantining in Norfolk near his parents. What a huge change of life! He is taking over a brand new international school in Amsterdam. They have two children under ten. The wife is Colombian and they have lived there for about eight years. A good excuse for us to go to Amsterdam as we have never been as a couple. It is amazing how well we get on with our friends as there is a big age difference between us. Thirty years? We've only met up twice since they moved to Colombia, but each time it is as if we saw them last week. <3 He is DH's old teaching colleague.

Oh well, on with my book!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

French: Main motivators: First, the paternal grandparents of my California grandchildren Olivia and Phoenix are Corsican, and they are rapidly becoming bilingual. Second, one of my Nebraska buddies must have been French in another life; she is seriously threatening to move there permanently and wants us all to come with her or at least visit frequently. Third, I am a Julia Child fan and fascinated by French food. I think a better grasp of the language would be a good thing for my ongoing study of the cuisine. And finally, I'm looking for a new challenge. I've had to pick up some medical terms in various languages through the years and I find that I am fascinated with languages and would like to study. If I come to France, I would love to meet up with you. Someday…

Karen in Virginia
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,786 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon ladies
    I am up with Faith and Sean and Jean found her at 4 am in the bathroom on the floor. She has had her breakfast,done the insulin,and had her lunch but even going to the commode ahe isnt putting weight on either foot like she wants me to pick her up dead weight.. aint gonna happen..
    All she has been doing is sleeping and I am staying in her bedroom with her..
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Must have: refrigerator and air conditioner/ heater

Moving to an RV in the dessert from a 2000 sq ft house in rainy cold New England showed me exactly what I can do without!

RV Rita
  • Katla49
    Options
    Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie: I can’t seem to reach you through the 50+ group. I wonder whether you got the message I sent.

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful women.

Yesterday was both stressful and enjoyable. It’s interesting how a day can be filled with such a wide range of emotions. A little on that here…
    First Day at the Office Since March 17th
    Although corporate has sent mixed messages regarding our return to work and even though we were supposed to officially go back on June 22nd we received noticed the offices will not be “officially” open. We were told “if” we want to work at the offices we were able to do so but only on our assigned days.

I had many things to print which were work related and I also needed some office supplies. Way back in March I left some snacks in my drawer and wanted to toss anything that may have gone bad or was stale. I close co-worker was also going to go in to the office so we both decided to go in yesterday.

It was quite stressful getting ready and really being timed. When at home it does not matter what time I shower, what I dress in, what meals I need to bring with me, etc. But on the other hand, it was nice wearing “office” clothes and putting on a little makeup, packing up my lunch, and anticipating many people that I have not seen in a long time.

The day was filled with lots of hand sanitizing since I have to go through 5 doors just to get to the bathroom, many temperature checks each and every time you leave and re-enter the office, sanitizing down my desk, etc. It was good to catch up with those I have not seen. There may have been 20 of us in the office that typically contains 180 on a full day.

Yet, I found many things disturbing. 50% wore masks when leaving their desks, the rest just kept them in their hands, people were eating lunch together at the same table less than 6 feet apart, all public areas were open, some were leaving the building and traveling in the elevator with no mask on their person, etc. I had decided I would leave work at 2pm and not return until we had to do so. I just do not feel comfortable when others have no consideration for their co-workers. Many feel it’s a joke. In addition to watching people rinse their hands after going to the bathroom with no soap usage. I was more than disturbed and very angered.

As soon as I logged off for the day some of my co-workers started texting me asking if I had seen the “email”. I soon found out there was a confirmed case in the office and the office will be fully closed until full sanitation procedures can take place. The office will reopen on the 22nd. Again, I am not going back any time soon. I cannot believe how so many have no care for others. I have seen more respect in the grocery stores from perfect strangers than 50% of those in the office.

Anyway – that was my first and last (at least for a very long time) trip in to the office. If I want to wear office clothes I can easily do that here – lol.

KJ – I love that SNL/Alexa skit. It always cracks me up!

Barbie – I full heartedly agree with the dividing line of relating a day versus making general commentary about situations for which one may not completely agree. Oh, Alexa is already starting to worm her way in! LOL……hopefully the novelty wears off or possibly Jake can get a Bluetooth headset so only he hears her?

Karen – What a nice thing to say. I love people and study them endlessly. A friend just asked me why I go out alone so much – don’t I like company?? I told her it has nothing to do with not wanting company but I am not alone when I go out. I have a lot of fun just sitting at a table and taking it all in. People can be wonderfully predictable and unpredictable at the same time.

Michelle – The recipe makes 12, regular sized muffins.

Heather – I love your son’s ration reviews. I have not yet watched it, but will. Surprised to find out the Italian version is the worst one so far. I am not sure what it is with certain friends, maybe our souls touched in previous lifetimes? A co-worker’s granddaughter and I are like that and she just turned 12! When she comes to the office she is glued to me and we have a lot of fun reviewing schoolwork, talking about our lives, etc. Of course, not an adult level. The kid has a very old soul.

Lanette – OM goodness! Those over 50-60 and older are supposed to dress like bag ladies? Geez, I am in the 50-60 range but dress like the 30-50 range! Maybe I am dressing too young? No way!!!!! LOL... And, not to start anything here because this is a complete joke (mixed with sarcasm) – I find the page offensive and ageist! LOL. :smiley:

Bananas – For those who tell me well, you do not have children, I respond with that does not mean I do not have a life. I will assist when I know a child is sick or there may be issues……but darn, my life is not any less important because I do not have kids.

Well, I have got to fly for now.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Well my meals changed hubby came home with McDonald’s.Lol I got soup will level out later on. Leftovers for dinner so they don’t spoil.Exercising.

Amber Tx

Boring day for us I like boring it’s peaceful
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,382 Member
    Options
    Carol – I know this is too little too late, but maybe it’ll help someone else looking for additional pieces for their china or silver set. Replacements, Inc. is a great source. Admitted, they are not cheap at all. But the quality is quite good and the way they package items for shipment is great.

Just found out that the pool is 71. Yuk! We’re running Buzz (yes, we’ve named the Roomba). Why Vince left Lexi sitting on the chair in the kitchen instead of relocating her and putting the chair up is beyond me. Buzz needs to map the house. He’ll only get confused if there’s a chair in the way suddenly. So I just relocated her.

Made a different recipe for fudge. This doesn’t call for your typical sweetened condensed milk. Instead it uses instant chocolate pudding. Hopefully, this will come out more like the kind you get in the store. Then made these mini quiches for Jess. To me, they are somewhat dry. Not sure what would make them more moist. More egg? More cheese? Milk instead of the water? Anyone know? Heather maybe?

Buzz is running – or I should say was. Anyway, he stopped to empty and to recharge. What I find interesting is that he knows exactly where his docking station is and he goes right to it.

Took the fudge out of the pan. Pretty good consistency. Not sure if it should be firmer or not. I’m going to try freezing some and see if it comes off the aluminum foil easier.

Went to Aldi this morning. For the first time except when I got there right before they opened, I had to wait in line. But I noticed when I left about ½ hr later that there isn’t a line. So that tells me that if I’m going to go, I should get there about 9:30 – 10

As much as I love being with people, I just as not ready to go back to a group exercise class. I just can’t bring myself to do it. I was thinking about the gym that I go to that to me was moderately clean. They say they’ve hired an outside firm to deep clean the place at night. Yet, and this I don’t completely understand, they say that at the start and end of every class you are to wipe down the equipment. At the start I can fully understand. I always did it anyway. But at the end? The only thing I can think of is that they really didn’t hire someone to clean at night but are relying on members cleaning the equipment after they use it.

Lori – welcome!

I dress more like the 40-50. No way like the 50 or the 60. <Shudder> I don’t want to look like a frumpy old grandmother.

Michele NC
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,012 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Machka - I'm subject to stones, as well, and drinking diet cranberry juice by the gallon and as much water as I can shove down has helped me pass a couple of small ones. Not saying you should, I am not a doctor and don't even play one on TV. I just know it's assisted me more than once. All they do in the United States is administer the contrast so it shows up on X-ray, and the contrast pushes it right out anyway (again, for small ones). Lots of anti-inflammatories were helpful as well for the pain. If it's large enough to block the ureter, of course, all bets are off.

In general, just loving my busy life these days. All the interest, very little stress.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

Good morning and thank you for the suggestions. I am short but not THAT short. I am 5' and small boned. My goal is 125lbs(at 139 now). Was 95 and 4'10 when I got married the first time ;)
    I have added more exercise but may need to add even more. Today will be 30 min gardening, 60 min on exercise bike and 20 min on cardio machine plus some extra walking with my daycare girl. That will give me 723 extra cal. I could use but will not. The daily goal for me shows 1923 but I will stay at 1000, that is my plan anyways. I will increase exercise for the week and see if that helps any. Discouraging when work that hard and no loss or end up with a gain.
    Thanks again.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Jaxsgma wrote: »
    Michele NC - have not seen any buffets open around here, some resturants that have a buffet inside of them that also serve meals in my experience are all shutting down their buffets. I was never a buffet person anyway so this does not effect me. I have no idea on how they are handeling this.
    Jaxsgma

I have heard here that if they do a buffet, they will be having an employee serve all the food so customers are not touching the serving spoons. I have not been out to eat since this started so not sure how that will work. Husband loves buffets, I am ok with them but depends on which one to what I will eat. Last buffets I had was in January on our cruise.(got back 2 weeks before the virus hit ON that same ship, on the very next cruise after ours)
  • Katla49
    Options
    Heather: Your son looks a bit like my son-in-law. His face shape and muscularity are the things I think are similar. :smiley:

I pruned some parsley that was getting ready to bloom and checked on other plants. So far, today looks good in the garden. The beans that survived are healthy and have good color. The few that died are drying up and will soon be gone. I planted more seeds in the area that was eaten by deer. The blue berries are beginning to turn reddish. The little berries are still hard and small. They're safe for now. When they start to turn blue I'll need to cover them with nets.

I am getting cabin fever. DH wants me to say close to home and keep him company, but he sends me out to do all the shopping. I am getting tired of the "gofor" role in life. It is a pretty day. Maybe I can persuade him to go for a walk in the neighborhood.

Katla
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Jari Love’s Extremely Ripped DVD.

Dlfk
    – I was thinking about you. When I took a exercise prescription class, FITT were the things you were supposed to look at. Frequency (I know I break this one, you really should exercise every other day to give your muscles time to recover), Intensity – one day very intense the next time not as much, Time – vary for how long you exercise and Type – don’t do the same thing over and over, your muscles get used to the same thing and you don’t burn as many calories. Use the elliptical, then the treadmill, then the bike, that sort of thing

Pip – good for you taking early retirement! You’ll love it, you won’t know where you found the time to work….lol

Rebecca – I’m so glad you found something (fasting) that works for you. I don’t think I could ever do it, but that’s wonderful for you!

Tracey
    – my dishwasher wasn’t doing its job well a while ago. The dishes weren’t coming clean. What I did was clean the filter, was it ever filthy! Ever since then the dishes have been coming out clean. I didn’t know this but you are supposed to clean it on a regular basis. I don’t think I ever cleaned it!

One server dishing foods at a buffet makes sense, but I don’t know how this place is doing it. Maybe they revamped the place so that there is only one server. Previously, things were just in a row and you went around and took what you wanted. Should be interesting, I need to check it out. Why couldn’t you just wash your hands after using the shower? 103 years old!!!! Wonder what her secret to longevity is?

There were always little pieces of the litter around the threshold to the mudroom (where the litter box is). They were always hard to get up. I do notice that the Roomba got most of them up.

Wonder where Penny has been? I loved reading about where she lives

Chilly and rainy (again) here today. It’s supposed to be nice this weekend, tho. I bet the pool temp won’t be great, tho. We weren’t running the pump so I don’t know the exact water temp, but it’s probably in the 70’s

Michele NC

Thank you for all the information. I really need to switch things up. I was doing it(just happened that way) when we were doing Zumba-class was only two nights a week. Other than that I was doing an hour every M-F morning on the treadmill. Just starting the other things. I will do like you suggest and really change it up. I am just now starting to get back in a routine- got lazy and stopped doing anything for the past few months. Once I get used to it again, I think I will be ok.
    Thanks again