WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    I deserve it, one swift kick in tha keester! I know what feels good for my body, and this type of eating ain't it! Tomorrow is my reset. There is always a new day tomorrow!
    👍 Rebecca

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,460 Member
    Options
    iwlkoet7cmxf.jpg
    Recalling a slimmer phase 2009 my overhaul all thanks to Jenny Craig. Excuse the droopy chest area, that was my no bra wearing days. I know I can't step back, but I can remember how I physically felt. It was great.
    💖Rebecca
    Rubbing my backside and getting mentally back on da horse!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Rhody ... the mighty hunter. Usually going after ants and little flies.

6oxuthf2qlty.png

More winter blossoms ...

v4dh0tvfhyog.png

zbo6q5u0wfyt.png

We've had a few ideas here ... travel, open home, dinner out. :)

A cycling friend of mine suggested that if I was talking about my own graduation, I should buy myself a new bicycle!

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited July 2020
    Options
    On the Action for Happiness July calendar the other day ... it said,

Make a list of 3 things you can feel hopeful about
    4ry3kmynk3cp.png

Next Tuesday, I go back to work, which I have not been feeling very happy about. I could list several reasons why I would rather continue to work from home.

However, it is what it is, and so I thought I might think about some positive things instead. Starting next week will be a kind of transition period for me. I will return to work, but I will be thinking about making some changes in my hours there. I have had this nose surgery and even though my nose is still "crusting" emphatically which is rather annoying and is still painful, I can breathe better than I did before the surgery. And I am in my final semester and only taking the one course.

So ... 3 things I can feel hopeful about ...

:)Exercise! I can't do much yet this week, but starting next week I should be able to gradually start increasing my exercise and I am interested to see what I can do now that I can breathe!

:)My final uni course. Thankfully my group seems enthusiastic and the assignments seem doable. There's hope!

:)Time. When I finish my uni course in 2.5 months, I will have more time for me. Also, that's when I'm very seriously considering a proposal to work fewer hours. More time for me! I can hardly imagine it, but what if I could come home from work some days and have nothing I *need* to do all evening? Sounds like an amazing possibility!

Plus spring ... it's mid-winter now, but spring is on its way. The day I go back to work, we'll have 26 more minutes of daylight in the evenings than the "shortest day" and spring will be just over a month away.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Yes, definitely need to start increasing the exercise next week ...

hjlq0z03xqdm.png

8hbh0dl9rdk8.png

Like, perhaps, between 10 am and 2 pm! :grin:

I'm going to have to go to bed early pretty much every night next week. Blech. I don't like ending the day at 11:30 pm or midnight. But if I don't, I will really struggle making it through the day and getting back into it.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather Your brother and your grandchildren photos make me smile. You have done such a good job keeping the weight off and getting healthy.

No, the photo is a thinner me from 6 or 8 years ago. I'm in progress of getting back to that weight/state now & making good progress. The little dog is Tinkerbell, my hosts' little doggie. Tink weighs a little over a kilo. The photo was taken in Nebraska, either at my 40th high school reunion or 2 years later at our high school class's 60th birthday party bash. We had so much fun at our reunion that we committed to the 60th birthday bash - and it was more fun than the reunion! Next get-together will be our 50th high school reunion in 2022.

Karen in Virginia

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,137 Member
    Options
    Machka: Our family are big on getting together to celebrate. Summer outings for picnics when the weather was fine; large clan gatherings for Christmas, Easter, Special Birthdays/Anniversaries, and sometimes, for no particular reason, 😂 which would include home cooked food. These traditions were started by DMiL, and continued by us DiLs when she got older.

I tend to host the bigger gatherings as we have the most space.

We have had to be inventive with our celebrations this year, And have had Skype parties, but we did enjoyed a lovely socially distanced garden party at DEDs 2 weeks ago with 7 of us.

For our 54th wedding anniversary tomorrow (Saturday) we have planned a tete a tete celebration meal with a bottle of bubbly. We will probably go for a walk along the coast if the weather permits. DYD will probably call for coffee in the morning. DED will most phone. I’m making a card for DH some time today.

☘️ Terri
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,219 Member
    Options
    A lot of you will have seen this photo before, taken by someone at that party. I did venture out to the dance floor once. :o

ow0b4u9775fk.jpg

My knee was killing me so I more or less had to jiggle on the spot.

Lisa - Words fail me. :'( Do you have a case against the gas company who didn't come out to check? Worth a try. Sending big, big hugs.

Karen - My relationship with my brother is excellent and I am extremely fond of his second wife. We rarely talk about the differences between us regarding religion. I am a convinced atheist and he is a born again Christian. His wife has similar beliefs, but was brought up RC. We just don't go there. ;) It is enough that I love him dearly.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Ugh another night of tossing and turning..
    Love the pics
    Heather- is it me or has Max sprouted into a young teen ,he looks so grown up there..
    I am having a cup of tea and trying to wake up.. I cant wait to see the endocrinologist and grt blood work done..I need an answer to why im tired all the time.. yes some of it is being way overweight, but not everything...
    Sherri comes at 8 and i have 8 hrs of the day to get laundry done and pack more stuff for the weekend..
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    skuehn48 wrote: »
    Got results back from biopsy, no cancer. Yay! Sue in WA

Sue, that's wonderful! So pleased.

Heather, I've watched your grands grow up on this thread, from when Bea was tiny... no risk of overloading us with pictures of them.

Will put "the rest of the story" on the gas line in a spoiler, so if anyone's tired of that they can skip it.
    So... a plumber was called in to replace the gas line, said they'd be here between 2 p.m. and 4 p.m., and two guys showed up from a reputable company about ten past 4 p.m. Kind of on the side of "And the geeks shall inherit the earth," you know? Geeky, weird, but proud of their weirdness, and quite knowledgeable, if a little smug. The price was definitely less than I feared. The fence company took on the charge for it ($600), but it will be invoiced, in whole or in part, to us.

After all but four of the posts were set, the operations manager sent the rest of the crew home for the day, and stayed to wait on the plumbers. I went outside to talk to him and figure out what all was happening and how much it was going to cost us overall. By the time the plumbers arrived, I knew he grew up on a rice farm in the Arkansas Delta, was divorced, and had been in this area for only four months, that his fiancee was the woman I'd talked to on the phone at the company and the reason he was here, that he'd been offered a chance to buy out the company, and planned to do so, how hard it was to get good help, what equipment he was hoping to get purchased for the company, and so on...

My husband calls it my "southern belle card," but then Corey is always fascinated by the fact that by the time he and I leave a restaurant, I know the wait staff's name, their life story, and their plans for the future. :smiley: Hey, listening to people who can save you hundreds of dollars or who have the ability to spit in your food is a very easy way to make everyone's life better, especially ours.

Anyway - the plumbers trundled away at 4:30 to go get the piece of equipment and materials they needed, and must have stopped for dinner, because they didn't get back until 6:30 p.m. Once back, it only took them about a half hour to dig out and replace the chunk of line, then I was able to call the gas dispatcher and they sent someone out to unlock the line and turn it back on. By 8:30 p.m., Corey had the water heater back online, and the stove checked. So... it took ten hours for the entire drama to unfold and then resolve. I was able to run the dishwasher last night, which was more than I was hoping for. :)

Today, the crew is supposed to be here to set the post near the gas line, and jackhammer the last three holes that needed to break up some large rocks or concrete to get the holes deep enough. If they can follow through on that, the concrete around the posts will cure (he explained all THAT to me, as well, showing me how the concrete draws water out of the post and bonds to the wood over time) and then they can get the panels up early next week.

Woke up exhausted after all that. Time to go get on the exercise machines and pretend that's what I want to be doing. After about five minutes or so, it actually will be, so there's that. When I'm done and showered, I'll hit the grocery store early to be able to avoid people, and then stay out of the heat the rest of the day.

Later y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Levi sighting! It's a still from a Facebook video, I would have loved to load it here, as he was laughing... He's coming up on seven months old...

5qrztlm9fmbc.png
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka: Our family are big on getting together to celebrate. Summer outings for picnics when the weather was fine; large clan gatherings for Christmas, Easter, Special Birthdays/Anniversaries, and sometimes, for no particular reason, 😂 which would include home cooked food. These traditions were started by DMiL, and continued by us DiLs when she got older.

I tend to host the bigger gatherings as we have the most space.

We have had to be inventive with our celebrations this year, And have had Skype parties, but we did enjoyed a lovely socially distanced garden party at DEDs 2 weeks ago with 7 of us.

For our 54th wedding anniversary tomorrow (Saturday) we have planned a tete a tete celebration meal with a bottle of bubbly. We will probably go for a walk along the coast if the weather permits. DYD will probably call for coffee in the morning. DED will most phone. I’m making a card for DH some time today.

☘️ Terri

Happy Anniversary!!
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Tracey, your grandson is adorable, bow tie and all!

Viv, sounds like Logan chose his own time to go and went quickly. I’m sure they know when each other are I’ll or dying. When my husband died I put both our cats on the bed with him for a few moments before the undertakers came for him. Neither of them ended up calling for him as others have done when my brother died and no one thought to let his dog come smell him. Penny whined and searched for a couple of weeks. I felt very sad for her.

Faye, sounds like the old galoot, your former neighbor, either had a wry sense of humor or was a pain in the _ss! Re the mountains, I should have known that Mt. wasn’t Baker. Baker doesn’t appear alone. So is that Adams or Hood? I don’t see either often enough to recognize them other than the typical My. Fuji-like conical shape.

Rita, what an awful shock for a kid, to find a cat dead on your bed! No wonder you’re not fond of them. We couldn’t have a cat since my dad had a phobia about them. He knew it wasn’t rational, but broke out in a cold sweat if one came near him. He did admire them at a distance, especially kittens. So after sharing an apt with a roommate, when I got my own apt. I got a cat and I’ve not been without one since then.

Heather, your “bruh” is a fine looking gent. Probably too young for me, however, and he’s over there. I’m not. Also, he’s married, so there’s that, and Christian (practicing, i take it!) to boot. Can anyone tell I’m getting lonely? I think it’s day trip time soon.

lisa, im so glad the punctured gas line wasn’t worse. We heard a huge “boom” once in my childhood. It turned out to be a house with a gas leak because the furnace pilot was off. The whole house exploded when something triggered the accumulated gas. No one was home, thank god, because all that was left was a huge pile of splintered boards. The place was demolished. It was a good 3 miles from our house, but sounded like it was next door!

Sharon C! where are you located? I’m also Sharon. Usually we designated namesakes with their area. I post ss “Sharon Near Seattle”! If you’re near Seattle too, we’ll have to figure something else out!

Sharon Near Seattle

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,219 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Lisa - Oh how I love the sound of laughing babies! <3 Pure Levi magic! Max used to have the best laugh. :p He still enjoys a laugh.

Allie - He is 9 now. :o Amazing how much he has grown up. DH is pleased that he still is very affectionate towards him . We are waiting for the teenage hump to drop. :o For the first time the other week I noticed that he was trying to hide his 'naughty bits' while changing on the beach. He was always unbothered by stuff like that.
    People always say to us, "Make the most of them while they are young, because they won't be bothered with you later on." I hope that won't come true, but I suspect it might. My best thought is that we might be a respite when they fall out with their parents. :bigsmile: We have both seen it ALL.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Cheri at college station, please don’t post flashing things in a larger space. I’m not epileptic, but it bothers my eyes terribly.

Ginny, I’m glad your daughter-in-law is recovering, but so sorry to hear she had it. You must have been very worried.

Celebrations: usually I’d have driven up to spend time with family or gone on a solo 1 or 2 day road trip, such as Portland and back, or out to the Strait or to the ocean beaches at Westport. Going fishing is something I want to take up again. Treating myself to a movie that deserves a large cinema screen is something I hope to be able to do again soon.

Insects! i desensitized myself to spiders by studying them, watching videos of them spinning their webs, etc. Ants I see very rarely. What REALLY bugs me are the slugs that crawl in under the screen doors on my sleeping porch. Bella tried eating a couple and promptly threw up or I’d have not known what was wrong. I think I’ll try the aluminum foil under the door where there’s a space at the bittom. I’m still afraid of stinging insects, although not bees of any sort. Getting stung by a Yellowjacket once convinced me I don’t want to observe them or hornets closely. I’m no longer afraid of crane flies, but am terrified of mosquitos mostly because any bite I get turns into an open weeping sore after the bump stage. I must have an allergy, I guess. Plus there all the diseases they carry nowadays.

Sharon Near Seattle and still awake at 5:30am I have no idea why I occasionally throw myself under the bus like this. Probably boredom.
  • Machka9
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    please don’t post flashing things in a larger space. I’m not epileptic, but it bothers my eyes terribly.

I've become really aware of flashing lights, etc. since my husband was diagnosed with epilepsy. Flashing things give me a headache, but have the potential of causing him real problems!

M in Oz
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Lanette Thanks for that photo! It is so true and I always told the ladies when I hosted a senior women's fitness group that weight isn't as important as where the weight is and also height can be misleading. 40 lbs extra on the hips and legs don't pose the health risk as that same weight on your belly. The question is where is your weight? I am 5' 9" and now weight 142 which I would like to get up to 155 if the weight went to my fading bottom and legs. Once on nerve meds my weight soared to 201and it all went to my belly! If it had been my hips and not posed a medical issue, I might not have been so focused on getting it off.
    4mwjiw4iv5s1.jpg

Faye - I'm 5'9" or was, closer to 5'8 1/2" now. Weighed around 140 when I got married many years ago, and that was way too skinny as I look back at photos taken then. Twiggy was the rage! I managed to get up to over 190 about 20 years ago, took most of it off with WW and hard work on our farm.

Now I'm most comfortable at around 160 to 163 or so because that's where my "honesty pants" fit best,not snug around the middle, and my body seems to settle in there unless I really go overboard for a while.

I thought that illustration was interesting because there were many gals about the same height but body composition was very different even though the weight was the same, and there's the muscle v. fat volume.

Rebecca - right now I'm striving for a 16:8 IF, don't always make it but I actually LIKE feeling hungry for a period of time, lol. I reviewed some of the fasting researchers advice, and most of them simply say "skip breakfast" which could be a 16:8 or 18:6 and a person will get good benefits. I'm looking for the autophagy and insulin drop.

I've been immersed in seeking ways to boost my immune system to keep this flu - any flu- away. For those who are interested:
    It appears Vitamin C, Zinc, Quercetin (there are many food sources including apples! -- apple a day?), Vitamin D3, and even small amounts(under 1 mg!) of melatonin on a daily basis show promise. I had already been taking most of these for the past year to keep myself from getting sick and passing something along to DH who really can't afford to get sick :( .

Here are a few links, take 'em or leave 'em -

https://covid19criticalcare.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Quercetin-COVID.pdf
    https://www.ifm.org/news-insights/the-functional-medicine-approach-to-covid-19-virus-specific-nutraceutical-and-botanical-agents/
    https://aliveandwellaustin.com/news/top-6-supplements-were-taking-right-now-coronavirus-edition/

That's a wrap. Make it a fabulous day, ladies! <3

Lanette B)
    Chilly & overcast SW WA State