WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    Well i stopped to see a dear friend and give her my heron photos i have had hanging in my room for many years..she and her sister have the same mind set that there mom came back as a heron too..
    It is a stunner of a day and i am over near where i am looking at the house ,with a beautiful breeze and the sun glistening off the water of the lake,lots of people out walking with dogs and without and hoping all will go well with this showing.. keep me in your thoughts.. and I will pray this is the right time for this...
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: 15 mins dancing old dances, transplanted peppers and mystery tomatoes,
    Bonus: combed Tumble, one load of laundry, 1.5 hrs tidying and vacuuming
    Get to do: livestream church, zoom klatsch with Barb, take pics of car, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, start baking cookies for visit, BB&B, declutter sideboard, Monday: Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.
    Altruistic August
    30: do something kind to nature:

Lanette our pastor has not one, but two, antique, functioning cider presses. We get together in the fall and press bins and bins of culls into cider. At first I was totally grossed out :sick: by the rotten, buggy apples that went in, but after it's filtered and pasteurized the cider is the very tastiest I’ve ever had. ;)
    Faye those 40 degree temperature swings were common when we lived in Boise. Like it much better here on the coast where we can have months of 45-60 degree weather. ;)
    Machka reading about your stitch pull made tears spring out from my eyes. Glad that one’s over, hope the other dissolves instead.
    Margaret great advice to Allie. Surprise $$$$ assessments are one reason we avoid HOAs. Near neighbors are another ;)
    Barbie :cry: :brokenheart: ((hugs)) What a gift your tribute and the others’ will be for her daughter.
    Pip :love: Kirby’s T shirt! :LOL: Really love your “how we met” story. Was he a runner when you met? Were you?
    Michele re: gates. Joe wants one at the base of our drive. IMHO gates are more like a sign “There’s something valuable up here” rather than a real block to entrance by baddies, so I’m resisting both the inconvenience and expense. Loving conversations continue ;)
    Lisa :love: your rescued roses! What a gift to be able to bring blooms out of pitiful little sticks. Well done! Oh that Levi!
    Karen in VA I hear you about the bureaucracy. I was also penalized for a non-existent gap in prescription coverage. The process back then was a letter to the agency’s ombudsman with supporting documents. It took months, but eventually the penalty was lifted and the overpayment refunded from the rx insurance company. Hang in there!
    Katla a gear “kitten” :lol: You started my day with a great bellylaugh!
    KJ sad to hear of all the C-19 cases at the kiddos’ schools. They are so blessed to have you to teach and care for them. Thankful for Tim’s spending more time with you and the kids. Good all the way around.
    Allie I hope on your walk you can meet some of the neighbors of the new place. Maybe they have an idea why the place has sold so often.

Lighter, lovelies!

f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    August: better than July.
    daily: steps>5491=Thur:3481 Fri:5136 Sat:3569 vits=28.5 log=29 CI<CO=19 CI<250<CO=10 Tumble & Shadow 5=18 mfp=21 outside=14 up hill=7
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=4 dance=1.25 clean 30 mins=13-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=18 play= sew=
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Kay (Dr Katie)
    Happy 45th wedding anniversary!

gtef62am5vas.png
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Dr Katie WOW! Have a great 45th! That is awesome!
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,743 Member
    Options
    Lisa - Levi is such a sweetie.

Allie - I hope the place is everything you want. You said it’s a manufactured home, is it in a park. We pay 750 a month for park fees, it doesn’t do anything for our specific trailer.

Kelly - I think schools will end up shut down again as well. My daughter isn’t sending our Grandson back he will do online for now. Thankfully the school district is allowing that.

My daughter is having a terrible time with her employer. I had been babysitting in the evenings 2-3 times a week so that the she could open up her availability and get more hours. I of course can’t do this now. She only works part time. Since the store has reported they wanted her to be available for full time hours and has pretty much demanded that she find alternate childcare if necessary. I sent her links to the government website that states that until Aug 2021 jobs are protected if employees can’t work due to childcare issues. I told her she needs to contact the labour board tomorrow and get advice.

Tracey in Edmonton where it is a real Fall feeling morning.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    Regarding Apples ... I made apple freezer jam from the apples from our trees (and some "seconds" apples from the grocery store). I found a lovely recipe - so easy and delicious!

We have a bit on waffles on the weekends. :)

This Coming Week ...

Work - gotta get moving on a large submission due the end of the month.

Uni - it's spring break, but I've got Assignment 2 due in the second week of September so I'm busy working on that.

Exercise - trying to keep up some exercise each day

Tour de France - that's what's on TV!

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: 15 mins dancing old dances, transplanted peppers and mystery tomatoes,
    Bonus: combed Tumble, one load of laundry, 1.5 hrs tidying and vacuuming
    Get to do: livestream church, zoom klatsch with Barb, take pics of car, measure potential greenhouse space and distance to outlet, start baking cookies for visit, BB&B, declutter sideboard, Monday: Pilot tech support 5034447924 to link subscription and fix login, practice new dances (Turning Tables, Nothing but You, Shake it like that, Larger than Life, Here I Go Again/Mama Mia, Real Deal, Get it Right); make garlic almonds for Barb and Dan; prep potato area and raised beds for beets, carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes and sow; finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed; Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan fall cool season garden, order replenishments.
    Altruistic August
    30: do something kind to nature:

Lanette our pastor has not one, but two, antique, functioning cider presses. We get together in the fall and press bins and bins of culls into cider. At first I was totally grossed out :sick: by the rotten, buggy apples that went in, but after it's filtered and pasteurized the cider is the very tastiest I’ve ever had. ;)
    Faye those 40 degree temperature swings were common when we lived in Boise. Like it much better here on the coast where we can have months of 45-60 degree weather. ;)
    Machka reading about your stitch pull made tears spring out from my eyes. Glad that one’s over, hope the other dissolves instead.
    Margaret great advice to Allie. Surprise $$$$ assessments are one reason we avoid HOAs. Near neighbors are another ;)
    Barbie :cry: :brokenheart: ((hugs)) What a gift your tribute and the others’ will be for her daughter.
    Pip :love: Kirby’s T shirt! :LOL: Really love your “how we met” story. Was he a runner when you met? Were you?
    Michele re: gates. Joe wants one at the base of our drive. IMHO gates are more like a sign “There’s something valuable up here” rather than a real block to entrance by baddies, so I’m resisting both the inconvenience and expense. Loving conversations continue ;)
    Lisa :love: your rescued roses! What a gift to be able to bring blooms out of pitiful little sticks. Well done! Oh that Levi!
    Karen in VA I hear you about the bureaucracy. I was also penalized for a non-existent gap in prescription coverage. The process back then was a letter to the agency’s ombudsman with supporting documents. It took months, but eventually the penalty was lifted and the overpayment refunded from the rx insurance company. Hang in there!
    Katla a gear “kitten” :lol: You started my day with a great bellylaugh!
    KJ sad to hear of all the C-19 cases at the kiddos’ schools. They are so blessed to have you to teach and care for them. Thankful for Tim’s spending more time with you and the kids. Good all the way around.
    Allie I hope on your walk you can meet some of the neighbors of the new place. Maybe they have an idea why the place has sold so
    wkly: T’ai Chi or BB&B x3=4 rx=4 dance=1.25 clean 30 mins=13-2/3
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=5 20for20=
    bonus: AF=18 play= sew= [/spoiler]

I gave u guys the real abbreviated version of how we met. No, kirby was a bicyclist back then when I met him. I used to run back in my twenties but not seriously or anything like I do now. I picked it up again after I got a bit thinner. He got me back into bicycling which I also used to commute to my job in my twenties, but that was when I lived here in Fresno which is very flat, nothing like Indiana )where I started riding again) and Washington
  • Faetta
    Options
    Barbara Yes, Boise is famous for such. Friends there want me to move there, but it stays too cold for too long in the winter for me. I worked down the Snake from Farwell Bend one summer. Daytime highs of 120 degrees. Some nights at 60. I wish I could move to the southern Oregon coast, but not possible at least for now. I always wanted to get a small spot and build a lighthouse to live in.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,217 Member
    Options
    KJ - This is the kind of thing I have. It takes size 4 paper filters. You can make as much as you want and as strong as you like with the ground coffee you like the best. <3

e1r5btvhtnhx.jpg

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Barbie: Your tribute to your dance friend is a wonderful gift to her daughter. I’m sure her daughter will be touched and happy when the loving memories of her mother’s friends and students are received. :flowerforyou:

Allie: Good luck with your decision. Barbara’s suggestion to ask the neighbors why the place you’re thinking of buying has been sold so often is an excellent idea. If the place passes that test, getting an expert survey on the condition of the place and any worrisome problems is a good idea. You certainly won’t want to redo the plumbing, heat, appliances, insulation or electricity. :star:

Dr. Katie: HAPPY 45TH ANNIVERSARY!!! :heart: :star::heart:

Machka: Enjoy the Tour de France. The fitness club I've gone to has a stationary bike that takes you on a virtual Tour De France. :smiley: I suspect you would choose to assign that to bad weather days and ride your bikes outside on nice days.

I’ve been reading romance novels. They are so much more pleasant than watching the news. Politics and pandemic are a LOT less fun than a well written story with a happily ever after conclusion.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,554 Member
    Options
    xdwtwjek4zli.jpeg

Sunday morning, yogi snoring , 8:17am, nothing kinda day
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,743 Member
    Options
    Katla - I agree! I read romance novels to escape the world. Who are your favourites?

I am also reading my Mom’s diaries which has taken me back to my teen years. They are causing some funny dreams though.

Tracey in Edmonton
  • Faetta
    Options
    KJ I love my neck scarf/choker that doubles as a mask. I got tired of pulling it up over my ears so I made slots in the sides so when pulled it up it can stay secure without being over the back of my head and ears. For very cold days I use a long headscarf over my head, wrapped around my nose and mouth, back around my neck and tied in the front. It looks like a hijab and people I know asked why I am wearing such. I have to keep repeating it is just a headscarf and mask. I think this winter it will be more popular. The way I wrap it gives two layers over the mouth and nose which allows breathing with no glasses fogging and puts others at ease. It also keeps the neck warm. My biggest problem with masks is glasses fogging. I only wear one in stores, never outdoors unless cold and I have my mask headscarf as described above.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,708 Member
    Options
    ok well I am back...the reason it is being sold right now is because the woman that owns it has the startings of dementia.. the view I have to say is spectacular, there is one parking spot behind the house and a shed to put stuff in.. HOA covers ,sewer leasing of the land and snow removal... the porch area and walkway are painted and in desperate need of another paint job, there are bushes out from and ground cover on the side that I would have to take care of , it was built in 1997 and the walls are original and alot of pictures hung so there will be nail holes to fix, the bathroom has a skylight ,but really needs to be updated.. both bedrooms are nice size, not huge but not small either.. the kitchen has a gas range ,love love and a newer fridge, no dishwasher and not a ton of cabinets but enough, and the washer and dryer are not next to each other but sort of corner to corner..
    now you are part of an association and you have to apply,.. asking about jobs and such.. this is where I will be in a pickle as I am working under the table unless I use alimony as income which it is... but what I was going to ask Tom is to do a full out payment of alimony rather then weekly so I could use what he gives me for the home..
    I do have 401k ,but dont want to use it all for that, and then what? my place here comes with more ammenities ,the house next to the one I was looking at is about 3 feet away , an older lady with a doggy lives there, so Alfie would be barking non stop,( not that he doesnt do that here lol) only thing is there is litterally no yard so the good part would be I would have to walk Alfie all the time...
    there is just so much to consider.. If I did purchase the other place, would need to have the place painted,new toilet , and possibly a new bath surround... the place power washed, there is a big honkin Central air unit that doesnt work, that I would have my nephew redo.. and probably a new washer and dryer.. thats alot to do.. and I dont want to have to fork out tons of money to do it...
    sooo we shall see.
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options

Katla
    – when you keep your masks in the car (I do also because, like you, sometimes I just stop somewhere), where do you keep yours? Right now I have mine in my drink holder but I would like something that maybe I can hang from the headrest in the passenger seat that I can put them in. So many times I’ve gotten to the door of the store and said “oh, forgot my mask” which is why I always keep one in my pocketbook, too. I googled “why isn’t my sourdough starter rising”. Well, the recipe I was following to the letter called for 70g of water, 70g of flour, and 140g of starter. This recipe calls for 70g water, 70g flour, and 70g starter. Maybe that was my problem???? Well, I tried that at 12 and at 4 still no activity. Who knows? I searched on BRM site, and the only thing I could find about a sourdough starter was a recipe for making your own. Do they sell starter?

Sourdough starter is in the oven on proof. I’ve decided definitely that if there isn’t any activity by 9:00 (when it would have been fed), then I’m going to hang it up and try a new recipe. This is just too much.

Michele NC
    [/quote]

masks I have a cell phone holder and a scent pod both that attach to the vents. I use those to hold my masks. Hand them from there so they are in my face when I get out of the car. Also have one in my purse just in case.

[sour dough starter] I started mine from scratch by boiling a potato, saving the water, mashing the potato in the water adding a bit of yeast, flour, and sugar, then a little more water to make it like a thick cream soup. Set on counter and let ferment. Worked without any beginner started. [/b]

RV Rita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Tracey: My favorites romances & children's books take up many of my bookshelves. I mentioned Arthur Ransome's Amazons and Swallows series a while back. Clearly aimed at children, I fell in love with them as an adult. Then there are Robyn Carr books set in a fictional town of Virgin River near the coast in northern CA, and books set in the Southern Oregon Coast near Barbara's neighborhood, also by her. Her current series is set in Colorado. Linda Lael Miller writes contemporary western books. Outlander time travel books are written by Diana Gabaldon. Argeneau Vampire romances by Lyndsay Sands are set in Canada, I'm reading one of them now. . . . I guess you could call me a readaholic. :wink: Many of the books I've mentioned have space on my bookshelves. Luckily I can get many more by favorite authors on line through Library to Go. This is provided through our local library & check-out is managed by Amazon.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Allie - my accountant alarm is blinking.

You say you are working under the table and getting paid by a Trust. Who is the trustee? You might want to check on this with a tax person as you still might be on the hook for social security and income tax at some point.

The IRS has sneaky ways of finding out who is getting paid.

The location of the house you are looking at seems wonderful!

Lanette
    Cool SW WA State