WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Rebecca Happy birthday to DH. Glad to read all is going well with his transplant.
  • amymh41
    amymh41 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Will you have a group for September also?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,921 Member
    Options
    amymh41 wrote: »
    Will you have a group for September also?

:) yes, it will post late tomorrow. It feels good to make a clean start each month.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options

2srd0v8vdsf3.jpg

The Old Woman and the River

Chapter One
    Beach Walker

A light west-northwest breeze glided across the river. Old Sol bore down on Faye's back. It was losing the vengeance it boasts earlier in the month. Faye knelt feeling the water. This would be as warm as it gets.
    The nights were cooler now and fall was in the air. Checking her cell phone she noticed the air temperature was 73. No wonder she was feeling youthful and had readily agreed to an invitation providing transportation for one of her favorite spots on the Columbia, outside her walking range.

The sun position announced noon. Faye found an interesting drift log that provided sculpting that seemed custom made for her slowly disappearing bottom. She opened her small shoulder slung side bag. It held her cell and other necessaries that such an excursion might require. A grilled cheese sandwich, enhanced with hot Anaheim pepper pieces, was extracted. It made the perfect easy lunch both in preparation and ease of eating. Faye had a disagreement with her dentures earlier that morning so they stayed home confined to a water-filled container. While Faye hated these dentures confrontations, she reveled in the fact that she always won.

The coolness of the now partly unthawed bottled water refreshed her mouth after a few swishes. Her mind wandered to events earlier that morning when she walked to the neighborhood where her friend lived that had graciously offered the ride. A few blocks before her destination, she noticed a middle-aged woman out washing windows at the house where the old guys lived. She hadn't seen them out on their porch for several weeks. She missed their "good morning" followed with kind comments about her eclectic walking outfits. Faye didn't know their names. She had only spoken to them on passing. How they knew hers was a mystery.

Faye had wondered every morning what had happened to these elderly gentlemen. Were they sick with COVID? Had they moved? Did they die? Their curtains were pulled which was unusual. The place was kept spectacular just as before. That was easily explained because the same lawn care guys were still doing their magic. Faye thought about asking the window washing lady about them, but realizing she didn't even know their names or if they were a couple, brothers, or maybe just roommates, she just kept walking.

The wind picked up a bit and Faye took off her newly purchased top that would have doubled as a short dress a few years prior. The breeze over her sports bralette felt almost euphoric. She started taking off her lightweight high waist MOM jeans, then reversed the process realizing that her last leg shaving wasn't up to her standards. Besides she had on her banded moderate coverage nylon/spandex bikini bottoms that she used as underwear for walks but had overlooked a very high leg bikini clip/shave necessary to make such a presentation acceptable.

Something about the freedom of the river, it's history, the fact that prehistoric fish still swam its turbulence, that steered Faye's mind to missing Zek. Zek was a neighbor of many years. He had moved away the previous fall to live independently at his daughter's county home. He had his own quarters with a kitchen and bath. Faye was known as his wifey, because of a rumor they were doing the uglies as one young lady stated. It wasn't true although he had seen her nude when she fell from a hydrops attack and had to be carried to bed. He was a retired paramedic so cutting off her sports bralette and shorts was not a romantic event. Something about the vomit all over her front and down her bralette probably put a damper on any idea of romance.

Faye smelled a musky cologne and felt Zek's hands on her breast. It was daydreaming but at her age what harm could become of such a fantasy? The feeling made her tingle to her toes. She opened the case to her cellphone, found Zeks number on her message list, and carefully typed out the words, "I love you Zek." Her extended finger neared the send button and then froze. She could call, but Zek was almost deaf and refused hearing aids. Besides she was partially deaf and texting was the only way to have a conversation of any substance.

With a quick finger move, she hit the key. The message disappeared, deleted forever. Besides she reasoned, "The old fart knows I love him and no reason to mess up a long time just friends relationship with juvenile behavior."
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    LISA

I am one of the guilty ones who lets the mask down so I can breathe on empty aisles. And, yes, as soon as someone comes into sight up it goes again. For some reason the cloth mask makes my allergies act up like crazy and I cough. Then my nose starts to run like a faucet. It's very embarrassing.

Carol

Carol - I often do the same if my allergies are really kicking up, then there's the fogging glasses as I mentioned before. That's another reason I'm at the store's front door the minute they open. This morning I don't think there were more than 20 people in all of Walmart when I was in there. Perfect!

Our county health director said recently the chances of a person getting this virus from folks in a store are really slim, which makes me feel better. Of course it could happen, hence the important of hand washing/sanitizing. And speaking of hand washing:
    4ch3y4ggvz4k.jpg

My apple gal showed up this morning and we loaded her car with several large boxes of apples! I'm guessing well over 100 lbs. It was great to see her, she is one of my favorite former co-workers.

Virus stuff:
    We chatted briefly about the virus, and she mentioned a relative on the other side of the state who came down with it as did several of his friends with co-morbidities. They were given the HQC early on and it stopped the illness quickly. Makes me feel better about DH's chances if he were to somehow catch it.

A fairly recent CDC report found only about 6% of folks who died from the virus have died from that alone, most had 2 or more co-morbidities. Of course, numbers might be off because of false positives and differences in how states are reporting. If anyone has a lot of time to kill and wants to look at some data, here ya go:
    https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm?fbclid=IwAR1lo4_vV1MLQwyBOta08o_zm4gwiAZYNg4aS_CkMRS2U0G-d0fwQAXlCNs#Comorbidities

I never get out to talk to many "real people" any more, lol. She's still working so had some news about the ole workplace .... I am super glad to be retired. :D

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Yogi’s dog treats look absolutely doglicious! :star:

Lisa: “And yes, everyone was wearing masks--although I really want to take the ones who leave their nose hanging out, grab the front of their mask and let it pop back on their face like a rubber band.”
    I see this often and agree with you. I don’t want to see their bare nose above the mask, either. I won't be taking action or making a comment to them, though. :noway:

Rebecca: Congrats on a good check-up for your DH at U of W Medical Hospital. :bigsmile:

Snowflake: I have every one of the Outlander books on my book shelf. I’ve read all of them, some more than once. I love Diana Gabaldon’s writing. I’ve tried a couple of her Lord John books, and they’re well written, but are out of my comfort zone. :embarassed:

Amymh41: Barbie will start a new thread for September. Be looking for it. I know that I will look for it tomorrow. :star:

I had an unexpected phone call from longtime friends who live on Orcas Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington. We had a lovely time talking about old times, current news and getting RV advice. They have a Bounder RV similar to ours and Rita’s. I think theirs it the biggest of the three. I’ve been inside theirs & know for certain it is a bit bigger than ours.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Iiiii
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,741 Member
    Options
    I just saw this in a local FB group. It gave me a chuckle.

jzzhr7v28ma8.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Yes i went in with an open mind.. the view is spectacular, but like i said to much rhat i would want done and dont want to spend anymore than i need to.
    Yes I am paid out if trust,and what i do is give them the amount the check is in cash and have them deposit the cash and i then cash the check and stick it in an envelope ,for emergencies ... like Barbie and now Heather I lost a dear friend in Florida..her birthday was the 26th ended up in ICU and passed last night..Tom and I used to hang out in the pool with her and a few others and i used to go to bingo and hang out with her.. she will be missed dearly...
    I am settled with my decision to stay here,its ok and im not upset or angry it just wasnt the right thing for me at this time...
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    sending hugs to all who have lost friends, it is always sad.

Kim
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Allie.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    Ooooo
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Rode the recumbent bike. The plan for tomorrow is to do a body pump video

Cut up the cake for bowling tomorrow and it’s now back in the freezer. Now I know that it’s so heavy that I should take it out of the freezer at least 2 hours before bowling.

Looks like it’s going to be a nice day so I’ll probably go in the pool later Update: did go in, it started to rain but now the sun is out

KJ – I kept my starter in a glass jar first on top of my refrigerator then in my pantry. Nothing. I can’t help wondering if that recipe had too high a hydration. Evidently, it was a 1-1-2 so now I’m trying a 1-1-1. This recipe has the exact amount of starter, flour, and water to add. I’m trying just keeping a paper towel over it. I have to admit, I’m patient but I was getting frustrated. I even tried proofing it yesterday, nothing. I have a proof setting on my oven so I used that, but still absolutely nothing. How old is the oldest kiddo in your daycare?

They were calling for heavy rain yesterday. Since it didn’t happen, I thought it might happen today. Sun is out. Where is this rain?

Dr Katie
    – happy anniversary

Pete is supposed to go to the MD Tuesday. I do hope we are able to go to DE Labor Day weekend. Otherwise, we might not see PJ until next May. That’ll be 2 years since we’ve seen him.

SuziQ
    – I can’t remember the name of the show, but do you remember a TV show where they had kids doing jail time for computer issues working for the CIA and hacking criminals computers? I thought it was very interesting.

Rita
    – I never thought of a cell phone holder! Wonder if the one I have that I was about to give away will work? See, I just want to make my starter with flour and water – as natural as possible.

Allie
    – I think you made the right decision. It does seem like there’s a lot of work (translation: expense) at this place. Might be good for a starter home, but you don’t need a starter home. Sorry to hear about your friend

Heather
    – so sorry about your friend

When I’m wearing my mask for extended periods of time (like when I’m at Food Lion), I find that I need something to “wet my whistle” so I’ve started keeping some of these soft mints with me. I’ll go in the break room and pop one in my mouth

Beth
    – I’ve watched so many uTube videos about sourdough it isn’t even funny. Some tell you never to use metal, others use a metal dish. Go figure! Sorry about your temp. crown falling off. Does the tooth hurt?

Off to take a shower.

Michele NC
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,120 Member
    Options
    Heather: Sorry to hear about your friend. Life is tenuous.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,120 Member
    Options
    Allie: And also your friend Allie. That place wasn’t for you, but something will turn up.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ugh - rant coming
    So my brother lost his phone...so no way to contact him...and my SIL just told me that my nephew ,my brother and her are going to the lake house next weekend where i am not invited..
    Im supposed to go up to the beach house and twiddle my thumbs,i was going up to spend time with my family and they wont be there and Jean made sure of it.. she is quite the manipulator.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,457 Member
    Options
    Look at those legs! I just want to snuggle her up.💖