WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2020

Options

Replies

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Pip: I am happy you were able to get Kirby’s Bicyclist light repaired. :bigsmile:

I got my flu shot. It wasn't bad at all. On the way home I bought two small containers of gluten free ice cream. They are my treat for being a good girl & taking the shot. I bought chocolate and lime. I had a taste of the chocolate which was yummy & the lime was great, too. YUM!!! This ice-cream is made by a local vodka distillery. It is gluten free, but is NOT alcohol free. It is also not calorie free. The label says 5% alcohol. It doesn't reveal calorie information. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

That ice cream sounds good. Who makes it? I think there are 5 or 6 distilleries in the Portland area. I also got my flu shot. I like getting it early before the rush.

• mafery
    mafery Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Thank you, i will check it out. I am open to anything!

Mary

mafery wrote: »
    Hello and Good Morning,

Here I am trying it again. Although I have not stopped, I just lose motivation after 3-5 days and find I do not enjoy things I used to. I was at 155 and then I stopped caring so much and went up to 185 (today's weight). I go from 180-175 lately but this weekend I just ate in excess.

I am now 50 and hope to start caring again and being more focused. I just find I am not as motivated as I once was. My highest weight was 298. I was holding at 160-165 and then my soul dog passed away last May 2019, broken fingers happened trail running in August 2019 and then COVID. I am trying to find my joy again in running or anything.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Hope someone has gone through whatever it is I am going through and has thoughts and maybe ...this too shall pass.

mary

Mary Maybe learn some basic Tai Chi moves. It helped me and still helps me. I do it first thing after rising and helps talk myself out of skipping my workout. It gives me a feeling of self-empowerment and helps my balance both physical and mental for the day ahead. I know it sounds silly, but it helps me see myself as a warrior woman. Helen breaks it down. Don't let the slow moves fool you, they have great benefit. Faye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apIffYvzuS0

Thank you, at this point I am open to anything.

thanks!
  • mafery
    Options
    Thanks Allie, I hope I can pick up the thread tomorrow. Sometimes I can not locate the next one!

Mary
  • mafery
    Options
    Carol - I had missed your post about coffee staying warm. I bought a Contigo cup at Walmart, I know they are available elsewhere as well. I make my coffee at about 7 in the morning and it is still hot when I finish it around 11.

Mary - Congratulations on the loss that you have had. I am struggling too right now with keeping at it. The only thing stopping me from going completely off the rails is I refuse to buy larger clothes again and as I was losing I donated all of my bigger clothes. It really keeps me aware. I have to say that this group is instrumental in helping me as well.

Tracey in Edmonton who is struggling to stay focused on work today.

Thank you, I am tired of the yo yo. One bad day or weekend and I am disappointed I do not have enough discipline. I will try and stick with it. Make those small changes and log, log , log.

thanks for the kind words.

mary
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,558 Member
    Options
    Yyyyy
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,350 Member
    Options
    I don’t know how much more my heart can take with all those precious pictures of children.

Allie – is there a reason you haven’t taken your antidepressants? If you were to take them perhaps they would help you with the weight which in turn would help your self-esteem and make it easier to climb the steps. Like katla said…you are the one who has the ability to do this, we are here for support.

Katla – I didn’t order the starter from BRM. The only thing I could find on their website was a recipe for it. I’m going to try this recipe. I’d really like to do it myself if I can. If not, a friend has said that he’d give me some of his starter.

We just got back from bowling. It was so good to see a lot of people. Of course, about half of them weren’t there. You have no idea how hard it was for me not to hug people. At times I had to keep my arms across my chest to remind myself that I couldn’t hug someone. What a pain!

Mary
    – welcome back. I’m so sorry about your dog and your fingers

Pip – love the gift!!!

Mahjongg tonight

Michele NC
    Who feels a little like her Mondays are getting back to normal. Still no ceramics, tho
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,154 Member
    Options
    🥳
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,745 Member
    Options
    Yvonne - I like Rehab Addict as well.

Tracey
  • pipcd34
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Today is Eat Outside Day!

"It's the last day of August, and the end of summer is only three weeks away. That sounds like a good enough reason to have a day dedicated to eating outside. Eating outside, or eating alfresco, dates back to the middle ages, when hunters ate outside before beginning their excursions. Picnics, which have historically been eaten in pastoral settings, first became popular in the 18th century. The word 'picnic' was first used in English in 1748, and picnicking in the parks of France became popular after the revolution of 1789. ... Picnicking gained in popularity in the 20th century, when public transportation and automobiles allowed people to more easily escape to bucolic surroundings. Barbecues, which often consist of cooking on grills in backyards, were another pastime that gained popularity in the 20th century."

Tracey - I'm on Team Jonathan too! The Property Brothers sure are a winning team, though. The other reno show I love is Rehab Addict - Nicole Curtis loves the old homes like I do and works hard to preserve their character.

Barbie - So sorry to hear about your line dance teacher/friend. IT sounds like she's left you with a lot of wonderful memories.

Michele - Same here... we don't use a whole lot of it, but we use real butter. We don't buy whipped cream, either - I just make it from heavy cream. Less sugar and tastes better than the kind in a can.

Rita - We keep washable masks for Philip and I on the dashboard of the car where they can bake in the sunshine. Every now and then I bring them in and spray them down with sanitizer.

Pip - Luna wants the recipe for the doggy treats! She's been getting doggy popsicles, though, so she's been pretty happy.

The end of summer may be three weeks away but we're still under heat advisory here so any al fresco dining at our house will have to wait awhile longer.

It's been a trying week here. First a hit-and-run in a parking lot did $1900 worth of damage to our car. Thank goodness we're insured! I'll have to come up with the $500 deductible but they'll cover the rest. I dropped it off at the body shop this morning and walked back home, so we'll have to share a car until they get it fixed.

Then poor Philip... oh, my gosh, what a saga. Last weekend he started getting a rash on his forehead after spending some time outside. It was excruciatingly painful to the touch and covered with tiny blisters. I was afraid it could be shingles and made him do a telehealth visit with a dermatologist because he had it on one eyelid. Anyhow, what it seems to have been is a shower of oak leaf mites. I'd never heard of them, but they live on oak trees year round. In the late summer and early fall they can blow out of the trees by the thousands. Philip has lost two days of work already and is feeling better now, but probably won't be able to go back to work right away because... well... he looks really horrible. As the bites start to heal, all the inflamed tissue is developing edema so his right cheek is puffy and his right eye is swollen shut, and a good bit of his forehead and scalp are covered with ugly, scabby spots. He's a massage therapist so he does need to look somewhat presentable. He's sent a photo off to his boss and we'll let the boss decide how much time he wants to spend explaining to clients that their MT is not contagious. The moral of the story is: If you stand under an oak tree this time of year, wear a good hat! And if you decide to celebrate Eat Outside Day, don't picnic under any oaks.

Looking forward to reading you all tomorrow as we turn over another new month.

-Yvonne in TX

1cup oats
    1 egg
    1 ripe or over ripe banana
    3 tablespoons of peanut butter

Mix altogether
    Preheat 350
    Bake 10-12min

Cool , there u go
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,349 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Lanette- I’m sure you’ll figure out what you want to try for coffee brewing, but one cheap hack is coffee cup - funnel - coffee filter - ground coffee - hot water - sip.

I prefer my French press to other methods so far. Heather’s method is my second favorite.

I’ve been watching French press videos (yawn) and found out that if I use a baster to remove the foam on top before lowering the plunger, and put one or two salt crystals in the brew, it is supposed to make a very smooth, nonbitter, full bodied, clear brew.

lol I think I’m becoming a coffee snob.

Karen in Virginia

>>>

Karen - Tina - Heather, thanks for coffee input!

We have the Melitta cones, small and large, and used the large one to make our morning coffee years ago. I kept it and filters in the "emergency" box in case we lose electricity - can boil water on the campstove and still have our brew.

I tried using the small cone last year, could never get the coffee strong enough. After Karen's post this morning, and reading the Aeropress instructions online, I realize maybe I should have been using the fine grind drip instead of regular Mr. Coffee type. Stores don't have it around here, I looked at Walmart and Safeway. I think the grind-it-yourself machine at Safeway has been removed but I'll double-check.

Anyhow, I just remembered I have a grinding blade that came with my Nutribullet! I bought a bag of dark roast regular ground coffee this past weekend, so I can try that and give it a buzz to get it finer.

Then I'll try the small cone again. I think the trick is 2 pours... the first one to wet the grounds, stir a few times, then pour the rest of the hot water over it. That's the way I used to do it.

I still might put the Aeropress on my Christmas list. ;) It's not that expensive and I deserve a new toy.

In other news, I made a crock-pot of applesauce this morning - 4 pints. I left all of the peels on! Then zinged the cooked apples with the immersible blender, peels disappeared and no one the wiser. Gravensteins make wonderful sweet applesauce.

And, I sliced the skins (with some flesh) off more gravensteins, put them in lemon water for a few minutes to stop browning, then put them on a saran-covered cookie sheet and popped them in the freezer. IQF apple peel bites. Peels have most of the nutrition, and they'll be handy for a frozen treat or to toss into a smoothie.

I was too lazy to dehydrate them, actually. :p

Karen, Kelly, Lisa, Rebecca - thanks for the photos of the littles!

I ran across local (actually Seattle) TV stations I can watch on my laptop: Locast! It's free. Having problems getting it to work on my Fire Tablets, but know where to go to find a fix when I get a chance. Apparently there are apps for most Android devices, Roku, Fire TV, etc. I don't miss the regular stations but this way I can get PBS - Endeavor, Vera, etc. when they are on.

That's the afternoon news. I need to go out and pick tomatoes and apples for my cleaner coming tomorrow. Tomatoes here:
    n3vrzl94pghu.jpg

Have a good evening! <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Options
    Lanette- I’m sure you’ll figure out what you want to try for coffee brewing, but one cheap hack is coffee cup - funnel - coffee filter - ground coffee - hot water - sip.

I prefer my French press to other methods so far. Heather’s method is my second favorite.

I’ve been watching French press videos (yawn) and found out that if I use a baster to remove the foam on top before lowering the plunger, and put one or two salt crystals in the brew, it is supposed to make a very smooth, nonbitter, full bodied, clear brew.

lol I think I’m becoming a coffee snob.

Karen in Virginia

>>>

using a funnel is an amazing idea- thanks for sharing. Will also have to try the salt trick
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,712 Member
    Options
    Evening ladies
    Im in bed with the windows open...will get cooler overnight.. great sleeping weather..I love fall..
    My friend and i were talking and she is right ,Jean has her issues and i expect her to treat me the way i treat her,but i dont think she can.. she is just mean..
    So will keep taking care of dear Faith but also look online and maybe branch out and see if i can find my niche...plus of course start back on antidepressants ,you cant change people so i wont try..
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Delia Faye: I got the halt stress list long ago from a friend and fellow teacher. It has been a help in my life for a LONG time. :heart: I got the ice cream at IGA in my town. The alcohol ice cream is in a separate cooler from regular ice cream and is made by a whisky manufacturer that is a local business. :star: Ye Ol Grog Distillery is the name of the local company that makes all sorts of alcohol goodies including vodka, whiskey and ice cream.

Karen in VA: We use an electric drip coffee maker at home. We can set a timer and wake up to our coffee ready and waiting in the morning. Everyone likes different sorts of coffee makers. When we use the RV we use an old fashioned percolator on top of a stove burner. I tried a French press once and didn’t like the results. I seemed to get coffee grounds into my coffee. I likely lacked skill and didn’t bother to learn how to manage it better. :ohwell: I might label myself a coffeeholic, but I don’t drink it after two or three cups of coffee in the morning. :wink:

Michele: Good luck. I’m sorry you didn’t see the starter on Bob’s Redmill website. I remember that it was a dry packet and that could be shipped within the US. :star:

Delia Faye: I had a facetime call from my daughter a little bit ago and got to chat with my granddaughter for a long while and my grandson for a few minutes. It was a wonderful treat.:bigsmile: Question—I’ve called you Faye a few times and wonder whether you prefer Delia, Delia Faye, or Faye?

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Katla My preference is Faye but Della is fine. My mother always called me Della Faye. I noticed you have me as Delia. I keep hearing Tom Jones singing Delia. No problem as I know who you are addressing, but Faye is what most call me. Thanks for the ice cream name. Is it the same as Two Birds ice cream? I searched it and it isn't available outside of PDX.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Iiii
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) I wrote a tribute to my friend who died telling of how she encouraged me to dance and how it has changed my life and many other things about her. I sent it to the people on my email list who usually get a preview of the dance class. In response I got many stories from others who had their own loving memories of her. It made for a great exchange and a great opportunity to remember a very special person. Next week, I'll copy bits of all the letters and send them to my friend's daughter so she can hear more of how so many people loved and valued her mother.

<3 Barbie in NW WA

I noticed someone hit the disagree button. I am stunned why would anyone disagree with such a post? It is a story, not a controversial topic. I hope it was a mistake.

I seldom notice the reactions to posts. I have noticed, though, that the disagree button is right where I put my finger to scroll on my iPad. I hope that I haven’t been disagreeing accidentally. I have never once hit the disagree button on purpose.

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Thank y’all for the anniversary wishes. We are pretty happy with each other in this phase of life. There were times in those 45 years when I wasn’t so sure we’d make it.

Margaret, my heart still breaks for you.

Barbie, I’m sorry for the loss of your friend. I love your tribute to her.

More later.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Dr. Katie- Is it your wedding anniversary? I noticed other people telling you Happy Anniversary so I think I missed it! Happy Anniversary! <3

Karen in Virginia
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,959 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Allie: Only you can change your habits and actions. Professional help from a qualified counselor or psychologist is a good thing if it is available and affordable. If not, you know where to find a whole bunch of friends with valuable life experiences. (((heart))) You are not alone.

Meg: I’m delighted that things are going well for you. :bigsmile:

(((Mary:))) When you are ready, you may find another dog to keep you company. Meanwhile, you’ve stumbled into a wonderful group of supportive women. Stop by often for encouragement and support. :flowerforyou:

Tomorrow will be the beginning of a new thread. It is a time that I list my resolutions. Perhaps they will provide others a tiny measure of support. Here they are, just a little early:

https://community.myfitesspal.com/en/group/123702-women-ages-50+

August 2020 Resolutions

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. Work on strength and stamina.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least 3 glasses of water a day.
    5. Monitor sleep. Average 7 or more hours nightly.
    6. Abstain from alcohol.

Halt Stress :

1. Am I hungry?
    2. Am I angry?
    3. Am I lonely?
    4: Am I tired?

For any yes answer, you have a practical way to help yourself. If I am hungry, I eat. If I am angry I can find a way to address the problem that caused anger. If I’m lonely, I can chat with this wonderful group, or DH, or call a friend. If I’m tired I can rest or sleep. It doesn’t make life perfect, but it sure helps smooth out some bumps.

Will the Aug- page start up tomorrow> I just tried so I can book mark it before going to bed and not working for me.
    Debbie